PDA

View Full Version : Texas Blogger Looks to Duke for Model

A-Tex Devil
01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Really good article by a great Texas Basketball blogger, Trips Right, on how Duke and Coach K could be an example for Texas.

Texas has more talent than Duke, but there is no question Duke is the much better team so far in 2010. It's also interesting considering all the personnel complaints that there are on this board how the nation still looks at K as a master of adapting his system to fit his team.

Barnes should call Coach K (http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/01/25/rick-barnes-should-call-coach-k/)

oldnavy
01-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Really good article by a great Texas Basketball blogger, Trips Right, on how Duke and Coach K could be an example for Texas.

Texas has more talent than Duke, but there is no question Duke is the much better team so far in 2010. It's also interesting considering all the personnel complaints that there are on this board how the nation still looks at K as a master of adapting his system to fit his team.

Barnes should call Coach K (http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/01/25/rick-barnes-should-call-coach-k/)

Not sure I follow you on this point. I love Duke to death, but I wouldn't make that claim. I think Texas is a 1 seed at this point, Duke probably a 2...

uncwdevil
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM

Is this really true? They may have more balance, but I'm not sure I'd say they have more talent.

I know there are many ways to measure talent, but Duke has 5 five-star players and 4 four-star players on their roster. Texas has 3 five-stars and 7 four-stars.

Granted, Lance Thomas counts as a five-star. But Nolan was four-star, so I think that's a wash.

crimsonandblue
01-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Texas has a lot more players who are talented, but I'm not sure they have more talented players. I mean, if you were holding tryouts for a new combined Duke-UT team, you're going to end up with Scheyer, Smith and Singler still likely starting. Bradley, Hamilton, Brown, Lucas, these are talented perimeter guys, but they're also woefulling inexperienced. Balbay's still fairly inexperienced and is just a dreadful shooter.

I don't know. I think Texas needs to get its guard situation settled and get back to playing defense the way they can. If Pittman could avoid picking up a foul per minute that would also help. As for looking to K as the master, I think he's a heckuva coach, but I'm not sure he should get too much credit for this year's "adaptation." You don't exactly have a ton of options following Henderson's and Williams' exits and being forced to move Singler to the three.

I will say, I'm very impressed with the way Duke crippled Clemson on Saturday. It has hideously ugly, but impressive. Duke plays the Kathy Bates role in Misery well.

http://www.comicsvalley.com/articles/images/criminals/13.jpg

A-Tex Devil
01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Not sure I follow you on this point. I love Duke to death, but I wouldn't make that claim. I think Texas is a 1 seed at this point, Duke probably a 2...

In 2010 (since January 1), yeah it is. Texas hasn't really played a good game since it beat Michigan St. They've been behind in every conference game against some of the dregs of the conference. If Texas doesn't get its act together, it will lose 5-6 conference games (K-State (already), KU, at Baylor, Texas A&M, Mizzou -- just off the top of my head).

As for looking to K as the master, I think he's a heckuva coach, but I'm not sure he should get too much credit for this year's "adaptation." You don't exactly have a ton of options following Henderson's and Williams' exits and being forced to move Singler to the three. .

Why not? K could have stuck to the offense and defense he has always played and let the team struggle. Coaches like Boeheim often have down years when they won't adjust their scheme to their players. Barnes is failing to do it this year, frankly. Roy is trying to run his secondary break game with average guards and a poor defensive team and it's burning him.

K had a hard time in 2006-2007 trying to figure out a scheme for a team which was a lot more talented than the end results suggested. I think Barnes is similarly struggling this year.

As for Texas' talent, when they have been on this year, they are the best team I've seen. But they've been scouted, and have failed to adjust. Jai Lucas' insertion has caused some chemistry problems that they have yet to overcome (nothing against Jai, Barnes is forcing his minutes and the team has not gelled with him on the court yet). They need to take a page out of Duke's book and shorten their bench significantly. We'll see if adjustments are made. Carolina was 0-2 in conference last year and things turned out alright for them.

dukeblue225
01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

Honestly Duke has comparable talent. But Texas has more balance. And I don't see how we have outperformed them when they have only one loss the whole season.

DukieInKansas
01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Honestly Duke has comparable talent. But Texas has more balance. And I don't see how we have outperformed them when they have only one loss the whole season.

I believe they have 2 now - lost over the weekend to UConn.

burns15
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I believe Nolan was a five star, because he was a top 15-20 player in his class

uncwdevil
01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
I believe Nolan was a five star, because he was a top 15-20 player in his class

No. I got my numbers straight from scout.com.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=825502

He's played like a 5-star though for most of the past 2 seasons.

chrisheery
01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Nolan was a top 20 player. He is a 5 star recruit. He was a McDonald's All-American. Almost any team in the country would have been happy to have him. I don't give a darn what scout might say.

uh_no
01-26-2010, 12:49 AM
I think Texas is a 1 seed at this point, Duke probably a 2...

Duke>uconn>texas

bam