PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith by the numbers

houstondukie
01-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Games 1 - 2: DNP/suspension

Games 3 - 9: 16.2 ppg (20+ x2); 40% FG (38.5% 3-FG)

Games 10 - 19: 20.1 ppg (20+ x7); 55% FG (60% 3-FG)
(Gonzaga - @ Clemson)

Obviously, Nolan over the last 10 games has taken his game to another level.

flyingdutchdevil
01-25-2010, 02:49 AM
Another level is a little of an understatement. When do players start hitting 60% of their 3-pt shots? And it's not as if Nolan has taken 5 3-pt shots in that span - he's clearly from another planet.

As our most complete offensive player, Nolan may be our most important player on THIS team. With an offense that sometimes doesn't click, Nolan is often the player, especially in the last 10 games, that provides instant offense. What an asset...what a player...

NYDukie
01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Another level is a little of an understatement. When do players start hitting 60% of their 3-pt shots? And it's not as if Nolan has taken 5 3-pt shots in that span - he's clearly from another planet.

As our most complete offensive player, Nolan may be our most important player on THIS team. With an offense that sometimes doesn't click, Nolan is often the player, especially in the last 10 games, that provides instant offense. What an asset...what a player...

Have to agree and also state that in my opinion Nolan has quietly become the best player on the team at this MOMENT. I know Kyle is probably the most talented of the three S's and Scheyer came out of the block on fire but Nolan just quietly does his thing. Need a guy to get to the basket and finish? Nolan does it? Need a big 3? Nolan does it. Need someone to settle the team down and get a big shot in the lane? Nolan does it. Need solid perimeter D? Nolan does it. And don't get me wrong, the other guys do things like this too. But right now, Nolan has it. We can all go back and forth on these three guys all day long but right now, Nolan his making his case of being the lead dog of them. My guess is that a few weeks from now this will change as I can see Singler getting his game on big time but it is nice to have three guys so capable and be mentioned in the same light as who is the teams best player.

superdave
01-25-2010, 09:06 AM
Nolan is scoring so efficiently that we dont really have to run plays for him or get him tons of touches. He is a one man fast break, scores off the dribble or on a spot up. He gets into the lane more easily than anyone else. Fun to watch.

Singler and Scheyer both need to the ball a little more to get warmed up, so Nolan fits into that group very well.

houstondukie
01-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Nolan has taken 35 three's and made 21 of them during the last 10 games.

flyingdutchdevil
01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Nolan has taken 35 three's and made 21 of them during the last 10 games.

Was trying to make the point that he shoots a lot. Thanks for the backin up ;)

I can't say enough about Nolan. My personal favorite player coming in, he is amazing. His assists are up, turnovers down, defense always irritable for the other team, has a tear drop shot sweeter than ScarJo... the list goes on and on.

The great part is that opposing teams haven't figured this out yet and, with Singler and Scheyer getting all the attention, they may never. He is the silent killer. For that, I propose a new nickname: Ninja Nolan.

InSpades
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
It's kind of the season we were all looking for last year. Everyone was talking about how impressive he was before last year and at times he showed it in flashes but he never put it together consistently. This year he is that and more. He's been by far the most consistent player on the team and has pretty quietly made some huge shots. I think the 3 he hit in the 1st half against Clemson with Duke down by 3 really turned things around. Then the step back 3 he hit (that they had to review) in the 2nd half gave Duke the lead it needed to ride to the end. He has the most complete offensive game of anyone on the team (probably more complete than anyone we've had in a while, maybe back to JJ?). I guess Kyle is very close but I think Nolan is a bit more polished at this point.

jv001
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
We have 3 guys that any team in America would love to have. Jon who has the best turnover to assist ratio in college bb(or close to the best). Hits free throws so efficiently that you just want to give it to him(like Crenshaw putts).
Makes sure we get into our half court sets. And plays pretty good defense. Then Kyle who has an all around game that lets him post up, shoot 3s, plays good defense and is a good rebounder. Then there's Nolan the quiet one. He is the teams best shooter from 3, drives the ball, good assit man, and plays very good defense. Like I said what a problem in deciding who's the best. Anyone of them could be the MOTM on any given night. Then we have Miles, Lance, Mason, Zoubs who are a good supporting cast. Go Duke!

ajgoodfella7
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Nolan has absolutely been the best player on the team so far this season. As someone else stated, Nolan is really the only guy on the offense who can get a decent look anytime he wants. He showed flashes of this his freshman year and even though last year didn't go exactly how I had pictured it for him, he is definitely playing on another plane right now from the rest of the team. His efficiency has been unbelievable this year and if he continues to play at this level, I would think that ACC player of the year my be in his future either this year or next.

dukestheheat
01-25-2010, 06:12 PM
It's great to see Nolan get the love he has earned! I still want to see him in the open court with the ball, accelerating, going in for the dish/the dunk. When he's up and attacking, Duke is a tough out.

Go Nolan!

dth.

DevilHorns
01-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I said it from the beginning, the level of improvement in Nolan's game will dictate our year. And so far, we all obviously like the improvement he is showing.

Also, Nolan will be nasty in the NBA. He can defend, he can drive, and he can spot up. I'm so happy he's on our team.

DukeBlood
01-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Nolan has absolutely been the best player on the team so far this season.

Im not quite so sure he is absolutely the best player on this team so far.. Jon Scheyer? Don't get me wrong, Nolan has been the best(or one of) the last 10 games.

Don't get me wrong, I believe by the end of the season Nolan will be statistically the best(PPG, FG%, 3%) and right up there in other major categories(A/TO, APG, STL). Statistics just dont make up the absolutely best player.

It will be interesting to see who wins NPOY, ACC POY and ACC DPOY. Alot of people think Lance should get ACC Defensive player of the year, I just dont see that happening. IMO.

ajgoodfella7
01-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Im not quite so sure he is absolutely the best player on this team so far.. Jon Scheyer? Don't get me wrong, Nolan has been the best(or one of) the last 10 games.

Don't get me wrong, I believe by the end of the season Nolan will be statistically the best(PPG, FG%, 3%) and right up there in other major categories(A/TO, APG, STL). Statistics just dont make up the absolutely best player.

It will be interesting to see who wins NPOY, ACC POY and ACC DPOY. Alot of people think Lance should get ACC Defensive player of the year, I just dont see that happening. IMO.

Well when I say best I am speaking in terms of their individual play versus the ACC (which obviously outranks the early part of the season). In my mind Scheyer and Singler have played up to my expectations coming into the season, but I don't think Duke would get through any of these ACC games without the play of Nolan this year. To me, his shot selection has been the best on the team, bar none. And for a guard that takes a fair share of mid to long range jumpers, his shooting percentage is outstanding.

It's just my opinion, but for me this year when we've needed a big play on offense, Nolan has been the most consistent at delivering.

DukeBlood
01-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Fair enough. Just remember Jon initiates offense, and does alot of things that dont show up on the box score. Im not saying Jon is a better player or anything, these two just seem to have a very good awareness of eachother.

The last 10 games I have been very impressed with Nolan, He has seriously been playing like JWill(Well... the closest thing since)

flyingdutchdevil
01-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Fair enough. Just remember Jon initiates offense, and does alot of things that dont show up on the box score. Im not saying Jon is a better player or anything, these two just seem to have a very good awareness of eachother.

Spot on. Of all the players on the team, Nolan and Scheyer easily have the best chemistry. They seem to know exactly where the other is. It's a thing of beauty when they are both clicking like that.

What's great about the backcourt is each provides a unique set of skills: Nolan is more of an on-the-ball-defender who is difficult to guard due to his slashing ability and amazing 3-point shot while Scheyer is a great help defender, good off-the-ball defender, decent 3-point shot, and, most importantly, can distribute and take care of the ball well. They really complement each other well.

JDev
01-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Spot on. Of all the players on the team, Nolan and Scheyer easily have the best chemistry. They seem to know exactly where the other is. It's a thing of beauty when they are both clicking like that.

What's great about the backcourt is each provides a unique set of skills: Nolan is more of an on-the-ball-defender who is difficult to guard due to his slashing ability and amazing 3-point shot while Scheyer is a great help defender, good off-the-ball defender, decent 3-point shot, and, most importantly, can distribute and take care of the ball well. They really complement each other well.

I was thinking the same thing. Those three guys are so good together because their strengths vary to a certain degree. As a group, they essentially cover all the bases. If the other two guys get their shooting going, this becomes probably the best backcourt in America. As far as the OP, Nolan is playing at an exceptionally high level, particularly since ACC play began. He gives Duke a player to give the ball to late in a shot clock, and as his percentages show, he is converting at a very high rate.

duke4life32182
01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Just hope he graces us with a senior year.