PDA

View Full Version : Best acc frontcourt

gofurman
01-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I have a question.

Which frontcourt do you see as best in the ACC? The more I thought about it the more I thought how good most ACC frontcourts are this year. this is off memory so please correct my names or years...

Choices - GT w Lawal (jr) and Favors (fr) and great backup in Peacock (sr)
or
FSU w Alabi (so) and Singleton (so?) and Reid (sr)
or
UNC w Thompson (sr) and Davis (so) and Wear Twins
or
Clemson w Booker (sr) and Grant (jr) and Booker (fr) and Jennings (fr)
or
Duke w Zoubek (sr) and Thomas (sr) and Plulee (so) and Plumlee (fr)
or
VT w Allen (jr) and ?
or
NC State w Smith (?) and ?
or
Wake w Farouq-Aminu (so) and McFarland (sr) and Woods (so)

I think the singular best ACC player is Booker but the best frontcourt is down to GT and FSU. thoughts?

DevilHorns
01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a question.

Which frontcourt do you see as best in the ACC? The more I thought about it the more I thought how good most ACC frontcourts are this year. this is off memory so please correct my names or years...

Choices - GT w Lawal (jr) and Favors (fr) and great backup in Peacock (sr)
or
FSU w Alabi (so) and Singleton (so?) and Reid (sr)
or
UNC w Thompson (sr) and Davis (so) and Wear Twins
or
Clemson w Booker (sr) and Grant (jr) and Booker (fr) and Jennings (fr)
or
Duke w Zoubek (sr) and Thomas (sr) and Plumlee (so) and Plumlee (fr)
or
VT w Allen (jr) and ?
or
NC State w Smith (?) and ?
or
Wake w Farouq-Aminu (so) and McFarland (sr) and Woods (so)

I think the singular best ACC player is Booker but the best frontcourt is down to GT and FSU. thoughts?

Wake has to be up there too, IMO.

And our lineup is Duke w Plumlee (so) and Thomas (sr), bench Zoubek (sr) and Plumlee (fr)

SCMatt33
01-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I'd give it to GTech. Favors and Lawal have a capability of putting their team on their backs like no one else in the conference. UNC doesn't have the guards to get the ball inside and they lost a lot of toughness when Hansbrough left. Duke doesn't have two players who can bring everything to the table right now, having to choose whether to put the best scorers, rebounders, or defenders on the floor. Clemson doesn't have any developed depth behind Trevor Booker at this point.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-25-2010, 01:00 AM
I would also go with Georiga Tech. Liek he said, Aminu and Favors are 2 of their go to guys and they are both future NBA players (good ones too). UNC is 2nd because they have the depth and if Zeller wasn't injured, they could have the best. Problem is, they don't have any perimeter game so that kind of hurts their production and I don't know if Davis or Thompson have the relentlessness to put the team on their back. We are 4th or 5th probably.

burns15
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM
I would also go with Georiga Tech. Liek he said, Aminu and Favors are 2 of their go to guys and they are both future NBA players (good ones too). UNC is 2nd because they have the depth and if Zeller wasn't injured, they could have the best. Problem is, they don't have any perimeter game so that kind of hurts their production and I don't know if Davis or Thompson have the relentlessness to put the team on their back. We are 4th or 5th probably.

I agree that Georgia Tech is the best, but Aminu plays for Wake. His older brother graduated from Tech last year

Jderf
01-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Yea, I think GT gets the nod for best overall frontcourt in the conference, since their two best bigs are both able to do everything a big should be able to do. (Whereas other teams might have one amazing all-around big but their second in command is not quite as impressive and typically flawed.)

I think the battle for the 2nd best frontcourt is more interesting. I see it as a very close argument between FSU, UNC, Duke, and Wake.

- Jderf

oldnavy
01-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Why is UNC's frontcourt even mentioned here? They are the most underachieving group of players in recent memory. They were hyped as the best coming in to the season, but they have not lived up to expectations. And, I know that Zeller is hurt, but they were not playing well with him. Maybe we should lend them Wojo for a while to train up their bigs!

CDu
01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Why is UNC's frontcourt even mentioned here? They are the most underachieving group of players in recent memory. They were hyped as the best coming in to the season, but they have not lived up to expectations. And, I know that Zeller is hurt, but they were not playing well with him. Maybe we should lend them Wojo for a while to train up their bigs!

UNC's frontcourt is putting up big numbers. That team is struggling because their backcourt stinks - not their frontcourt. For comparison's sake, UNC's trio of bigs (Thompson, Davis, Zeller) are matching Tech's trio (Lawal, Favors, Peacock) despite fewer minutes:

UNC: 70min, 39.1pt, 21.2reb, 4.6blk, 55%fg, 72%ft, 1.46pps
GT : 75min, 36.3pt, 22.4reb, 3.6blk, 60%fg, 66%ft, 1.39pps

As for the OP's question, it's an interesting one. Wake and Clemson have the two best post players individually, but lack that second big-time player. FSU has very solid depth, but lacks the top-end performance. I'd say it's between GT and UNC (with a healthy Zeller). GT has the tougher/more physical frontcourt, while UNC has the more versatile and deeper frontcourt.

yancem
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Take off the blue shaded glasses! They may not be living up to preseason expectations but Davis and Thompson are averaging 14.7 and 14.8 ppg and 9.8 and 6.8 rpg respectively. These numbers compares pretty favorably to the GT duo of Lawal and Favors who are averaging 15.3 and 11.8 ppg and 9.3 and 8.9 rpg. They are also better numbers than any other duo in the acc.

The problem with unc isn't so much there front court it's their back court. You have to remember that even Shaq needs someone to get him the ball and in the absence of decent outside shooting it becomes real easy for defenses to crowd the paint. You give unc a few shooters and Davis and Thompson have more room to move and their number improve.

Now lets hope that none of unc's guards magically finds an outside shot!!!

oldnavy
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Take off the blue shaded glasses! They may not be living up to preseason expectations but Davis and Thompson are averaging 14.7 and 14.8 ppg and 9.8 and 6.8 rpg respectively. These numbers compares pretty favorably to the GT duo of Lawal and Favors who are averaging 15.3 and 11.8 ppg and 9.3 and 8.9 rpg. They are also better numbers than any other duo in the acc.

The problem with unc isn't so much there front court it's their back court. You have to remember that even Shaq needs someone to get him the ball and in the absence of decent outside shooting it becomes real easy for defenses to crowd the paint. You give unc a few shooters and Davis and Thompson have more room to move and their number improve.

Now lets hope that none of unc's guards magically finds an outside shot!!!

Ok, I suppose I do look at things a bit on the darker side of blue.

But are boys in light blue really a dominating frontline? I see the numbers and it is hard to argue that they do have two solid performers on the frontline but nothing near the level of the preseason hype. Does anyone think that Thomson, Davis, or even Zeller (when well) can take over a game and dominate it like a Booker, or Lawal? Stats can be misleading, sure Thomas and Davis average ~14 ppg, but is that because they are that good or is it because the rest of the team is so likely not to score? Hansblah as much as it pains me to say, was a dominating big man... I just am not sure that Thompson or Davis are in the top three of the conference. Does anyone think that either Thomas or Davis will be 1st team All ACC? 2nd Team??

Besides, I don't want anyone to be drinking my Hateraid!

UrinalCake
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I think that Davis can take over, but not Thompson - he's more of a guy who shines as a complementary player. That's just my opinion, and admittedly I don't watch the holes a lot when we're not playing them.

I would also vote for GT as having the best front court, and also the one with the highest ceiling as Favors is a stud with a ton of room for growth. I think Ed Davis has sort of peaked, as strange as that is to be saying about a sophomore.

Wander
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Honestly, Ed Davis is probably quite a bit underrated at this point due to his team's struggles. Not that I mind, of course.

Greg_Newton
01-25-2010, 03:00 PM
I think the battle for the 2nd best frontcourt is more interesting. I see it as a very close argument between FSU, UNC, Duke, and Wake.

I'm not sure how Duke gets to be in the conversation at this point, even for the 4th best. If you put trade Duke's frontcourt for that of FSU (Alabi and Singleton), GT (Lawal and Favors), UNC (Davis and Thompson) or Wake (Aminu and McFarland), Duke would probably be the best team in the country.

BTW, All ACC should be interesting this year... you've got Lawal, Booker, Aminu, Davis, Vasquez, Delaney, Landesburg, Nolan and Jon all making strong cases for first team. If I had to vote right now, I'd probably vote Booker-Lawal-Aminu-Vasquez-Smith, but what happens if Jon picks up again? And can you leave off 19.5ppg scoring Delaney?

crimsonandblue
01-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Honestly, Ed Davis is probably quite a bit underrated at this point due to his team's struggles. Not that I mind, of course.

Why? Do you want to see him again next year?

UrinalCake
01-25-2010, 03:23 PM

I've never understood the over-focus on what happens in the future. I personally would rather Davis have a crappy year and come back than for him to have a phenomenal year and enter the draft. Just like I'd prefer that Singler have a great year and leave rather than having a crappy year and stay. The present is all that matters, and the future holds no guarantees.

Wander
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM

He won't be underrated by NBA scouts, so it doesn't matter. And to be honest I've always found the whole "I'm kind of glad Singler/Davis is playing poorly/well since it means he will/won't be back next year" line of thought to be really stupid anyway.

superdave
01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
So if you had to pick one guy from another team to add to Duke, who would it be? (frontcourt only).

1. Booker
2. Ed Davis
3. Lawal

Unless someone can talk me into a different order.

airowe
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
I think it depends on how you're rating them. Is it the two best players or the best from top to bottom?

If it's the latter, I think Duke has something to say...

If it's the former, I have to go with Georgia Tech, coaching notwithstanding.

CDu
01-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I think it depends on how you're rating them. Is it the two best players or the best from top to bottom?

If it's the latter, I think Duke has something to say...

If it's the former, I have to go with Georgia Tech, coaching notwithstanding.

I agree that this is an important distinction. However, if it's the latter, I'd go with UNC (assuming Zeller). When Zeller is healthy they go six deep up front with top-player talent as well. We go five deep, but our top players there aren't as good (at least not yet) as UNC's.

If we go best two players, I'd go with Lawal and Favors. But it's closer between them and UNC than people are suggesting.

It all depends on whether you consider a healthy Zeller in the equation. Without Zeller, I think GT's three are better than UNC's five. With Zeller, I'd give the edge to UNC (their top three are better than GT's top three).

Classof06
01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I was courtside at the Duke-Ga Tech game on 1/9 and believe Tech has the best frontcourt in the league. Tech won that game because of their frontcourt and Favors really didn't even have that great of a game. Also keep in mind that Peacock is the third big man and he was once a starter. He's also a very good FT shooter as his two free throws prevented Tech from having to go to OT with Clemson last week.

I don't think Duke is too far behind and if Thompson/Davis got the necessary amount of touches, it'd be impossible to keep UNC out of the discussion as well.

To Superdave,

If I could add one of those three, it'd be Gani Lawal hands down. I just can't say enough about that kid.

oldnavy
01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I also think it depends on what style you are playing in how they rank. For instance, if UNC is running up and down the court, then I would give them the overall advantage with their bigs. They can move baseline to baseline and seem to be able to finish. However, if they are in the half-court game, I would go with either GT or FSU, because their bigs and better on the block and posting up. Booker at Clemson, is probably the best of all of them down low, and he can run the court pretty well. Lawal, and Favors seem to get worn down running... Thompson and Zeller and Davis can be pushed off the block fairly easily it appears. At least that is my take on it.

CDu
01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
I also think it depends on what style you are playing in how they rank. For instance, if UNC is running up and down the court, then I would give them the overall advantage with their bigs. They can move baseline to baseline and seem to be able to finish. However, if they are in the half-court game, I would go with either GT or FSU, because their bigs and better on the block and posting up. Booker at Clemson, is probably the best of all of them down low, and he can run the court pretty well. Lawal, and Favors seem to get worn down running... Thompson and Zeller and Davis can be pushed off the block fairly easily it appears. At least that is my take on it.

This is a great point. It all depends on the system. I agree that Booker is the most versatile, and probably the best. I'd say Aminu is next, and Davis and Lawal after that. But in terms of the groups, it really does depend on the style of play. UNC's players clearly don't handle physical play as well, but if they can get space they are a force. FSU's bigs are useless in space, but can really clog things up and make the game a war of attrition inside. GT's bigs are somewhere in-between - more skilled than FSU's bigs, more physical than UNC's bigs.