PDA

View Full Version : nolan smith's tear-drop

moonpie23
01-24-2010, 12:20 AM
i swear, i think that is one of the sweetest tear drops i've ever seen in college ball...

i think that thing will win a game when it's on the line some day...

:)

awesome, nolan

mgtr
01-24-2010, 01:00 AM
I agree with Moonpie -- if you can make that shot, you have a real weapon. There is no chance of drawing an offensive foul, and virtually no chance of having it blocked. Plus, you get to look a little bit like a dog visiting a fireplug.:D
Seriously, that is a wonderful weapon to possess, and Nolan uses it effectively. I like the one leg drawn up.

huied
01-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah it is a thing of beauty. Is it me or is Nolan's floater the best we've had since Duhon's?

Coballs
01-24-2010, 03:08 AM
Yeah it is a thing of beauty. Is it me or is Nolan's floater the best we've had since Duhon's?

It's better. His tear drop makes my tears drop. So sweeeeet.

Cockabeau
01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Nolan Smith has become our best player,imo

roywhite
01-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Love Nolan's tear drop, but also like:

how he finishes at the hoop from either side
uses the glass for difficult angles or high kisses
the mid-range pull-up
3-pointers
accuracy from the line

Nolan is an effective scorer (and player) in many ways.

Devilsfan
01-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Sweet! Now if he can teach our young #5 how to dribble.

roywhite
01-24-2010, 08:45 AM

Lesson 1 there is when not to dribble....don't confuse your role with that of an experienced ball handler.

CDu
01-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Lesson 1 there is when not to dribble....don't confuse your role with that of an experienced ball handler.

Exactly. I was watching with a friend of mine, who summed the turnover he committed in the first half perfectly. "Just because you can sometimes dribble to break a press, doesn't mean you should." You could see that turnover coming a mile away. And in a game in which we did a great job of passing to break the press rather than dribbling, this error of commission was glaring.

Devilsfan
01-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Precisely! We don't need a point center on this or next years team. He should get in there and bang, rebound and score where he needs to be an important member of our front court by committee, imo.

dukestheheat
01-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Nolan's floater does indeed remind me of the shot used most often by former Maryland great (and, Crazie favorite) Juan Dixon. Maryland would run a low-post screen for Dixon and he'd spin through about mid-to-three-quarter lane for the runner, and that was one very tough shot to stop.

dth.

weezie
01-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Love Nolan's tear drop, but also like:

how he finishes at the hoop from either side
uses the glass for difficult angles or high kisses
the mid-range pull-up
3-pointers
accuracy from the line

Very "Billupsesque"

flyingdutchdevil
01-24-2010, 11:13 AM
1. Love to see the love Nolan is getting. Someone commented on Nolan being our best player. I'll vote for that one. Best offensive presence and one of our two best on-the-ball defenders. Also, K basically said that Nolan is one of the only players to create his own shot.

2. I only noticed this yesterday, but is Nolan really 6'3"? He was standing next to Scheyer and looked considerably smaller (at least 3-4 inches shorter). I've stood next to Scheyer when he was a freshman and, I have to say, he didn't look 6'5". Either Scheyer grew, Nolan shrunk, or college basketball heights are completely inaccurate. I'm inclined to go with the latter.

Neals384
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
2. I only noticed this yesterday, but is Nolan really 6'3"? He was standing next to Scheyer and looked considerably smaller (at least 3-4 inches shorter). I've stood next to Scheyer when he was a freshman and, I have to say, he didn't look 6'5". Either Scheyer grew, Nolan shrunk, or college basketball heights are completely inaccurate. I'm inclined to go with the latter.

They might actually be more accurate, at least at Duke. In high school, Kyle Singler was listed at 6'9", so he's lost an inch since then.

slower
01-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Would be the Timmy D.-style jumper off the glass. Can you imagine a defender having to choose between trying to defend the kiss off the glass or stay back and try not to get posterized with a monster jam? Ah, one can dream. :D

strawbs
01-24-2010, 02:49 PM
i remember watching the 2006 Les Schwab championship game between south medford and oak hill (first time I saw both nolan and kyle play) and thinking wow, these two are going to be great players. Obviously kyle has been great since day one, and now it is great to see Nolan has arrived. It is nice to see him fully healthy and playing great basketball, because he has put the total package together and has becoming one of the best players in the acc.

phaedrus
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM

I'm around 6', and on the handful of occasions where I've been standing next to Nolan, it seems like he's a couple inches taller than me. I think 6'2 is reasonably accurate.

However, when I walk by Miles around campus, it seems like he's a couple feet taller than me. So maybe my estimation skills aren't so trustworthy.

bigj4194
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM
one word to describe his tear drop: dirty

mehmattski
01-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Plus This:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Games/Duke-60-Clemson-47/DSC0315/771986434_L9Sq2-L-1.jpg

SilkyJ
01-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Nolan Smith has become our best player,imo

Best scorer for sure. Maybe best player...still TBD in my eyes. Jon's play for the season, if not necessarily the last 4 or 5 games, has been slightly better than Nolan's with Jon's running of the offense and distribution of the ball (I mean 15th in the NCAA in assists!? who would have guessed that...).

Nolan is coming on strong though and starting to really "get it." With his athleticism, I think its clear that his ceiling can be higher than Jon's, so we'll see how he finishes the season.

Plus This:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Games/Duke-60-Clemson-47/DSC0315/771986434_L9Sq2-L-1.jpg

EA lovin her some Smitty!