PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Clemson (Jan. 23)

Jumbo
01-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Who was the Man of the Match at Clemson?

rotogod00
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
gotta be nolan. lance was huge though too

Coballs
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Huge W. I'm pleasantly surprised. That is all.....

westwall
01-23-2010, 11:08 PM
-- but kudos to Lance for an excellent game.

basket1544
01-23-2010, 11:10 PM
-- but kudos to Lance for an excellent game.

Yup! I wanted to vote for both. Nolan for offense and Lance for all the intangibles.

OZZIE4DUKE
Nolan for MOTM, Lance for Bedeviler OTM

weezie
Absolutely, Lance kept us balanced.

Jumbo
01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Lance for me. Did a tremendous job not only guarding Booker, but doing so while hedging aggressively on ballscreens and recovering to help limit their perimeter players. And 13 points too? Yes, please.

strawbs
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
voted for nolan, but the entire starting 5 needs to be recognized. the 3 subs tonight played limited minutes, and other then zoubek none of them contributed. So props to the starters for not running out of gas in such an emotional and hostile environment

JaMarcus Russell
I voted for Nolan, but Lance was integral in breaking the press and did a very good job on Booker. He also knocked down some clutch shots. However, Nolan added some great instant offense, especially at the start of the second half, and I think that sealed the game for us.

dyedwab
because he basically opened up the offense. But man, Lance was great on everything from containing Booker to breaking the press

so, in my mind, if not in the poll, I split my vote :-)

mgtr
01-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Whereas in the NCSU game I thought we had no MOTM, in this game we had too many. While it is easy to give it to Nolan, I voted for for LT, because he did some things on offense that we always thought he could, but rarely has.

KyDevilinIL
01-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Voted for Lance, simply because his points and role in the press break were integral.

Nolan was the centerpiece tonight, but after so many on this board went after Lance last game, I wanted to show a little appreciation.

Bob Green
01-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Thomas played a great game, but I had to vote for Nolan Smith! Smith played consistently from the opening tip to the final whistle.

soccerstud2210
01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
no question. NS

jv001
01-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Nolan and Lt both were deserving but went with Nolan for his terrific shooting when our other two S's are struggling with their shooting. Never seen so many Jon Scheyer shots spin out. That funky spin he puts on the ball. Hey don't change anything Jon. They will start staying down. Go Duke!

bigj4194
01-23-2010, 11:28 PM
i too am surprised with this win...i'm not saying we shouldn't have won...im surprised we won in as deciding a manner we did. Nolan has to be MotM though...he was on fire and his floaters were just dirty...Congrats to all of the team

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-23-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm the only one, but I voted for Jon. If he doesn't keep his head nothing else gets done tonight.
Love, Ima

Saratoga2
01-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Nolan had a great game but tonight Fhomas did as well. I have got to go with Nolan though

dukejim1
01-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Nolan got my vote as well. Great shooting in the second half but he played well defensively the whole game and he remains the most poised Devil. Lance had a great bounceback game. Another player that did not contribute much on stats but is starting to show some real maturity is Miles. Played critical minutes down the stretch and handled it well when he had to.

trey
01-23-2010, 11:44 PM
My heart says Nolan, but my head says Lance. He was crucial against the press. I wish that monster dunk had gone in. He definitely deserved it. Finally, we can drop the "Duke can't win on the road" crap. :D

wilko
01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
I gave it up for Lance.

Tho in truth... I attribute the win to the new lucky hat my wife just brought home this eve. for me.

tele
01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Lance, his defense was solid and he was key in taking the ball out of bounds and breaking the press. Nice job and great road win!

Wander
01-24-2010, 12:06 AM
The defense on Booker was decent. The defense on everyone else was fantastic. Nolan was the best player on both ends of the floor...

ice-9
01-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Nolan was the MOTM, but I voted for Lance. :)

Delaware
01-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Without Nolan's offense in the 2nd half, we might not have pulled away comfortably, but I went with Lance for a variety of reasons, including the three point play that put us back up 9 after we were up 13 and Clemson went on a 7-0 spurt and it looked like we might wilt (as Purnell kept "willing" us to do as told by Erin Andrews a dozen times!). He also hit some clutch free throws, rebounded well and even though Booker got his, did as good a job as possible on the man.

CDu
01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
I went with Thomas. He played 35 minutes, made Booker work hard to get the ball and to score, was the inbounds man for the majority of the game (an absolutely key role against Clemson), and still managed 13 and 7.

I completely understand a vote for Smith though. He was just huge in the second half.

DukeDevilDeb
01-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Nolan was fabulous; he has been before. But this was really almost a perfect game for Lance, given the location and defensive assignment.

We simply do not score anywhere near the number of points if Lance doesn't break the press time after time, with poise and confidence (and not dribbling like Mason tried! :D)

And yes, Lance missed the dunk. It happens. But how many times when someone misses that dunk does he grab the rebound and put it in? Amazing play.

I do have to agree with Ima though. The game flows through Jon. He is so head's up on both ends of the court. It wasn't his best game shooting, he turned the ball over three times (I think) and had only three assists. But if he isn't at the other end when Lance breaks the press, God knows what happens.

Go Devils! Thanks for winning. I HATE all that orange (a bit reminiscent of waves and waves and waves of baby blue at one of our other favorite places to play! :D)

mehmattski
01-24-2010, 10:55 AM
This was the first game in a while i listened to entirely on the Radio, while driving to Durham from South Carolina. The name I heard mentioned consistently all night was Lance Thomas. Rebounds, points, full-court-press breaks, and defense makes his game more complete than Nolan's in this game. There's more to MotM than who scores the most points.

chadlee989
01-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I wish i could have voted for Dre. He was the only player that we had that did not make one single mistake. Plus i was trying to tell Coach through the TV to check him in the entire second half.

JDev
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Lance played great, but Nolan was the difference and gets my vote.

cascadedevil
01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
It is great to see that college basketball can still be a 4 year journey.

DukeVu
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Nolan Smith was the MAN. Lance played a good game but I do not consider giving Booker 22 points and 70% shooting great defense. A 4th year senior who has played and started considerable times for 2 and 1/2 years should have games with 13 pts and 7 rebounds on a regular basis. That kind of production from Singler would only get him grief.

Jumbo
01-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Nolan Smith was the MAN. Lance played a good game but I do not consider giving Booker 22 points and 70% shooting great defense. A 4th year senior who has played and started considerable times for 2 and 1/2 years should have games with 13 pts and 7 rebounds on a regular basis. That kind of production from Singler would only get him grief.

That is an absolutely absurd statement. Being a 4th-year senior with starting experience in no way means you should regularly go for 13 and 7. And if you don't realize how hard Booker had to work for his 22 -- including several points after the outcome was decided -- or how great a job Lance did hedging on ballscreens to deny the perimeter players, you weren't watching. Anyone who actually saw the game could see the way he played Booker and how it took Clemson out of its offense, so I'll assume you just read the box score.

RepoMan
01-24-2010, 04:54 PM
This game was about defensive intensity, and Lance led the defense with the most challenging assignment. Throw in unexpected offensive production, and he has to be the MOTM, at least in my mind.

Newton_14
01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Lance was great in many phases of the game last night and his play was key to the victory. And Booker did not score 22 on Lance last night. As usual his points came in a variety of ways, from post moves on several different defenders to putbacks, etc. Lance did not give up many of those buckets. I loved the way LT played last night and like everyone else, I really wish the monster dunk he attempted would have stayed down.

All that said, I voted for Nolan. Nolan also played great defense, and without his offense we do not win that game. His 3 late in the 1st half was a huge momentum breaker for Clemson and he hit a lot of key buckets in the 2 second half runs. I was very proud of Nolan. The game down there last year was his worst game of the year and his lowest point of the year as that was when he lost his starting job. It had to be very rewarding to him to go out there last night and exorcise the demons.

Another one of those times where I would have voted for 2 guys if possible. So for me, its Nolan by a smidgen..

DukeVu
01-25-2010, 01:43 AM
That is an absolutely absurd statement. Being a 4th-year senior with starting experience in no way means you should regularly go for 13 and 7. And if you don't realize how hard Booker had to work for his 22 -- including several points after the outcome was decided -- or how great a job Lance did hedging on ballscreens to deny the perimeter players, you weren't watching. Anyone who actually saw the game could see the way he played Booker and how it took Clemson out of its offense, so I'll assume you just read the box score.

Lance Thomas is not just 'a 4th-year senior with starting experience' as you have downplayed it. He is a regular starter with over two years starting experience. And I did not mean he should average 13 points and 7 rebounds, but I did say that he should do it more than once or twice a year. You are the stats man so what is his points and rebounds avgs for his career. It is commonly spoken that Duke often plays 3 on 5 when Duke is on offense.

How many games has he gone 0, 2, or 4 points while having 4 or 5 fouls. and I said he played a good game, but a regular contribution on offense would be nice. He plays considerable minutes and needs to take some pressure off the S trio. I did see the game as I have seen many others.
By the way, what is a reasonable expectation for a Starter who plays considerable minutes? 2, 3 or 4 points? If a player is a great rebounder and/or shot blocker or maybe even a great floor general who can give great assists? Pardon me if I have an absurd opinion and expect a starter to contribute, REGULARLY, something on offense other than fouls.

I consider it absurd to think one player disrupted the Clemson offense and that Smith, Scheyer, Singler and Miles just watched while that player HELD,
and I repeat, his man to 22 points on 70% shooting. Have a good day.

jv001
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Very good game for Nolan and Lance. Both played extremely well. LT was a big part of breaking the press which does not show up in the boxscore. And Nolan played well offensively and well defensively. He guarded Stitt for the most part and held him to 4/12 fgs, 10pts and 3 turnovers. Great job by both guys and one had to win MOTM. Wished I could have voted co-winners, but could not. Nolan got my vote. Go Duke!