PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. NC State

Jumbo
01-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I intended to just post this just to get it out of the way and then move on. But then I ran the numbers and saw that in this lousy game, Brian Zoubek actually finished at +5. At least I now feel like I had a more legit reason behind my MOTM vote than "well, it seemed like he rebounded well."
Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Brian Zoubek 26-21 (+5)
Ryan Kelly 3-2 (+1)
Andre Dawkins 21-23 (-2)
Mason Plumlee 24-28 (-4)
Miles Plumlee 16-27 (-11)
Jon Scheyer 74-86 (-12)
Kyle Singler 74-86 (-12)
Nolan Smith 74-88 (-14)
Lance Thomas 58-79 (-21)

Per 40 Minutes
Ryan Kelly +20
Andre Dawkins -8.9
Brian Zoubek +14.3
Kyle Singler -12
Jon Scheyer -12.3
Mason Plumlee -12.3
Nolan Smith -14
Lance Thomas -25.5
Miles Plumlee -44

Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Zoubek 8-3 (+5)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Zoubek 5-2 (+3)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Kelly-Zoubek 3-2 (+1)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x3) 10-10 (+0)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Thomas-Zoubek 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Zoubek 0-2 (-2)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas (x3) 13-16 (-3)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Mason (x3) 19-24 (-5)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x4) 16-27 (-11)

bird
01-23-2010, 08:15 AM
I guess the over-the-top criticism of Lance (such in chat) also had some basis in fact.

miramar
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Jumbo, since away games have been such a problem, do you have the combined stats for those games?

Thanks

Devilsfan
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
When Zoub who is playing the best ball of his life (and I know he's worked very hard to get to where he currently is and admire him for that) is the best big man on the court for DUKE I have an uneasy feeling. I went to the State game and I'm still waiting for Miles (who had the best game of his life last Sunday against Wake) to show up. That win over Wake was very costly. It seemed like Kyle's legs were gone. And only Nolan and Zoub seemed to play well. Hope they had easy practices this week so they could get back the energy needed to play Duke "D", but watching Coach K over the years and knowing his expectations and his millitary backgroung I doubt it. I'll be rooting as hard as ever for the Devils to return to 40 mins. of "D" Sat. night in the little johnny. I really like the fight (except against State) in this team. Go Devils!

Jumbo
01-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Jumbo, since away games have been such a problem, do you have the combined stats for those games?

Thanks

Look in the cumulative thread. I have each player's individual stats listed by game, so you just need to find the right game #'s to run the totals.

chadlee989
01-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Why did Lance play 33 mins and our other three bigs combine for 37 mins?

jv001
01-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Going on the +/- figures, you have to wonder why LT played so much when the Plumlees played way less minutes. As good as Lance played defensively, it evidently didn't help enough to offset offensive liabilities. Has me scratcing my head. Go Duke!

Neals384
01-23-2010, 12:47 PM
It's a real head-scratcher when you starting lineup has the worst +/-.

YourLandlord
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Not really. The starting lineup usually plays the most minutes, so if you lose by a sizable margin, chances are that group of starters will have the worst +/-.

Jumbo
01-23-2010, 01:30 PM

I imagine it had to do with a couple of things: 1) Mason Plumlee picked up 2 fouls in 2 minutes as soon as he checked in, and really struggled when he was in there and 2) Duke went to a lot of trapping D in the second half, and Lance needs to be in if Duke wants to play that way. Oh, and I think he had 12 boards.

Going on the +/- figures, you have to wonder why LT played so much when the Plumlees played way less minutes. As good as Lance played defensively, it evidently didn't help enough to offset offensive liabilities. Has me scratcing my head. Go Duke!

That's a chicken/egg thing. Mason was in foul trouble and Miles just looked way off. LT played a lot because they didn't play well. And when you play a lot in a game where the whole team is playing poorly, your +/- will be bad even though it's not necessarily your fault.

See below ...

Not really. The starting lineup usually plays the most minutes, so if you lose by a sizable margin, chances are that group of starters will have the worst +/-.

Exactly. Plus, your starters generally are going against the other team's starters.

miramar
01-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Look in the cumulative thread. I have each player's individual stats listed by game, so you just need to find the right game #'s to run the totals.

Here are the cumulative plus-minus figures for the three away losses at Wisconsin, GTech, and State, per 40 minutes (the +/- is from Jumbo, the number of minutes in each game from the goduke box score):

Zoubek +1.9
Mason +.8
Miles (.8)
Singler (5.1)
Dawkins (6.0)
Scheyer (6.2)
Smith (9.8)
Thomas (24.9)

The Thomas number is stunning (it's 101-144 in 69 minutes of basketball).

I guess it shows how important it is for him to play well since he does a lot of different things on the court.