PDA

View Full Version : AABA

aro24
01-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I heard about this on the Mark Packer show this afternoon.....

http://www.ajc.com/news/whites-only-basketball-league-279688.html

A new basketball league to be created for whites only.
Of course Packer spent several minutes naming all of the former Duke players that would have been "perfect fits" for this league.

Thoughts ????

ARo

allenmurray
01-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Of course Packer spent several minutes naming all of the former Duke players that would have been "perfect fits" for this league.

Thoughts ????

ARo

I hope they field teams in the following cities:

Gary, Indiana
Detroit, Michigan,
Birmingham, Alabama,
Jackson, Mississippi,
New Orleans, Louisiana
Baltimore, Maryland,
Atlanta, Georgia,
Memphis, Tennesee,
Washington, DC,
Richmond, Virginia,

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0884135.html

KenTankerous
01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Fabulous! Calipari revises the Kentucky legacy and AABA re-establishes non-negro competition! How so 1890 of us.

I'm pukin' at the thought of it all.

Newton_14
01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I heard about it on the Adam Gold show earlier this week. Comical, sad, etc etc. Pick a word.

Thankfully there is no chance in hades it ever gets off the ground.

Kedsy
01-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I heard about it on the Adam Gold show earlier this week. Comical, sad, etc etc. Pick a word.

Thankfully there is no chance in hades it ever gets off the ground.

It has to be unconstitutional. You can't engage in interstate commerce like that and blatantly discriminate. It must be a joke, albeit a bad one.

Newton_14
01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
It has to be unconstitutional. You can't engage in interstate commerce like that and blatantly discriminate. It must be a joke, albeit a bad one.

I wish it were just a bad joke Kedsy. Unfortunately, you can google "all america basketball league" and find articles showing it's not. But still there is no way this goes very far. Or at least I hope not.

Kedsy
01-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I wish it were just a bad joke Kedsy. Unfortunately, you can google "all america basketball league" and find articles showing it's not. But still there is no way this goes very far. Or at least I hope not.

I don't see how it can. Restaurants and bus companies aren't allowed to discriminate like that; why do these people think they can? And that's even putting aside the repugnancy factor.

DUKIE V(A)
01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I can't invision any legit basketball players wanting any part of this league. This is disgusting.

SupaDave
01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I can't invision any legit basketball players wanting any part of this league. This is disgusting.

Depends on how much their paying - which in this case - I doubt is worth it if you have any serious skills. And1 probably pays better considering they actually have sponsors... I'd happily be "The Professor" over playing for ummm... a farm team for the Generals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Generals

gotham devil
01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
Fabulous! Calipari revises the Kentucky legacy and AABA re-establishes non-negro competition! How so 1890 of us.

I'm pukin' at the thought of it all.

1890- might as well be as recent as the late 1950s in where this guy wants to establish his league

rthomas
01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
You guys don't think it will be a "barn burner" when the Imperial Wizards play the Grand Dragons?

SupaDave
01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
You guys don't think it will be a "barn burner" when the Imperial Wizards play the Grand Dragons?

I KNOW I'm not supposed to laugh but...

devildownunder
01-24-2010, 06:33 AM
The best part about the whole, laughable, episode is that the guy behind it insists he's not a racist.

Of course he isn't.

At any rate, I think the whole thing is just a publicity stunt. I mean, I know the guy is going ahead w/it like he's serious but I think he really just wants some attention for other pursuits. The only disturbing thing about the story, to me, was the content of some of the comments about it on some newspaper's website that I was reading. Clearly, there are many people around for whom something like this would be quite welcome.

Now THAT'S pathetic.

SupaDave
01-24-2010, 11:21 AM
The best part about the whole, laughable, episode is that the guy behind it insists he's not a racist.

Of course he isn't.

At any rate, I think the whole thing is just a publicity stunt. I mean, I know the guy is going ahead w/it like he's serious but I think he really just wants some attention for other pursuits. The only disturbing thing about the story, to me, was the content of some of the comments about it on some newspaper's website that I was reading. Clearly, there are many people around for whom something like this would be quite welcome.

Now THAT'S pathetic.

The latest twist I've seen is that minorities will be able to OWN teams - just not be able to play. Oh my! My mind literally cannot wrap itself around the number of punchlines...

SupaDave
01-24-2010, 11:31 AM
(humor me for a sec as I enter this dream sequence)...

Interviewer: Can you give me your impressions of the game Coach?

Coach: It was a real tight game, ya know? Nothing too physical. Jerry made some real tight bounce passes that got us up out of our seats. Of course, since every team in the league is forced to utilize the Princeton offense they defended our backdoor cuts pretty well.

Interviewer: But what about scoring coach? The score was 12 -14 at the break.

Coach: Scoring? That's not what real basketball is about!!!!

Interviewer: Ok, back to the game coach.

Coach: I was real proud of Lenny for not dunking on the fast break - two points or not - I woulda pulled him.

Interviewer: But Lenny is 5'7. CAN he dunk?

Coach: I don't know. That's not something we practice around here...

phaedrus
01-24-2010, 12:48 PM

Not unconstitutional exactly because it's not a government actor, but should indeed be a violation of the Civil Rights Act, as well as other employment discrimination laws.

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2010, 12:55 PM
For them to even succeed remotely they will have to make some money, and regardless of how well funded they may be (I hope not very well), there is no chance ever that they make a profit. I relish the idea of some bigot losing a ton of money investing in this venture.

CDu
01-24-2010, 01:01 PM

Legally, speaking, how is this different from women-only leagues like the LPGA, the WNBA, etc? Both very clearly exclude a portion of the popultion. And in both cases, the excluded groups have an alternative that would permit them (and I guess anyone, technically) a chance to play.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's pretty sick, too. I'm just trying to see how (legally speaking, not morally) this is different from women's leagues.

slower
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Not unconstitutional exactly because it's not a government actor, but should indeed be a violation of the Civil Rights Act, as well as other employment discrimination laws.

In light of recent history, I'm envisioning a 5-4 Supreme Court decision upholding "free speech" rights. Seriously, the whole idea is sickening on many levels.

Kedsy
01-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Yes, of course, you're right. The Constitutional point is that these people would be subject to the Civil Rights Act because they engage in interstate commerce. I mistakenly squashed the two together and said "unconstitutional."

As far as why is it different from the WNBA, I haven't looked up this sort of thing in a long time and I don't remember the nuances of discrimination law, but it's well-accepted that we can have, for example, separate men's and women's teams in college and high school sports, presumably because of the physical differences between the genders. It's also clear from the statutory and case law that "whites only" and/or "blacks only" is impermissible, in pretty much every context. I agree with a previous poster that this must be a publicity stunt of some sort and that they have no real intention of trying to make this a reality. I can't imagine it would be allowed if challenged in court.

dukebluelemur
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
The irony is there might very well have been some decent support for an 'old school' basketball league, where they call traveling/palming/fouls etc. But then it has to be some racist *ehem*-hole who insists on taking what could have been a generational thing, and turns it unjustifiably into a race thing.

I don't think even the current supreme court could give these guys a pass.

devildownunder
01-25-2010, 12:09 AM

I

ROFL!

Jim3k
01-25-2010, 02:30 AM

You are talking about McCallie, aren't you?

barjwr
01-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Legally, speaking, how is this different from women-only leagues like the LPGA, the WNBA, etc? Both very clearly exclude a portion of the population. And in both cases, the excluded groups have an alternative that would permit them (and I guess anyone, technically) a chance to play.

I'm no lawyer, but I *sort of* went to law school while my wife did.:o She believes that the difference is that racial minorities are a protected class, like women, people with physical disabilities, and groups of other minorities based upon religion, sexual preference, etc.

"White guys" are not a protected class.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2010, 04:41 PM

Interviewer: Can you give me your impressions of the game Coach?

Coach: It was a real tight game, ya know? Nothing too physical. Jerry made some real tight bounce passes that got us up out of our seats. Of course, since every team in the league is forced to utilize the Princeton offense they defended our backdoor cuts pretty well.

Interviewer: Ok, back to the game coach.

Coach: I was real proud of Lenny for not dunking on the fast break - two points or not - I woulda pulled him.

Interviewer: But Lenny is 5'7. CAN he dunk?

Coach: I don't know. That's not something we practice around here...

hmmmm....I wonder if we reversed this whole thing how these comments would sit....

SupaDave
01-25-2010, 04:43 PM
hmmmm....I wonder if we reversed this whole thing how these comments would sit....

All depends on how you reverse it - AND your intent...

Kfanarmy
01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
All depends on how you reverse it - AND your intent...

...what was your intent??

SupaDave
01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
...what was your intent??

humor, very much in line with the link - IF you read it.

Kfanarmy
01-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Thoughts ????

ARo

Can't see how this isn't a joke. but kinda funny given the cred its being given. Isn't the AABA already copyrighted?