PDA

View Full Version : Why does the media give John Calipari a pass?

wgl1228
01-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I know this is mainly for Duke discussion and I am sure has been discussed before, but how come the media never question Calipari about the all to often violations surrounding his programs? Additionally, I am referring to the more mainstream sports media, the message boards and bloggers have certainly discussed the corruption but I don't think I've seen anyone from ESPN or any other major sports media press him on those issues.

grossbus
01-22-2010, 07:36 PM
he is a good interview. glib. amusing.

DevilHorns
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
simple. it all boils down to: $. There are a lot of UK fans out there. And its always a juicy story for a once strong program to claw its way back.

weezie
01-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Good question. I guess the media loves the guy who will put up with their usually inane questions. If nothing else, Slick Cal has always been lavishly attentive to the dweebs on the sports reporting circuit. All doe eyed and "what me?" looking.

KyDevilinIL
01-22-2010, 08:54 PM
I've encountered Cal twice in person since he took over at Kentucky. He absolutely commands whatever room he's standing in, no matter the size. He will charm your socks off, which is what makes him especially dangerous, IMO. He has won over an enormous portion of this state's media, which was all part of the post-Gillispie masterplan at UK.

Besides, a media member must possess some really hefty stones to go after Cal or the Cats in this environment. Unless you're holding some really powerful cards, it's a losing proposition every time. You will be mocked, humiliated, denigrated and rejected from Paducah to Pikeville. And UK fans do not forget, so it will be that way forever.

The national media knows what's up with UK fans, too. So unless you've really got a good foundation and there's some transgression that MUST be reported, the big dogs aren't going to risk offending them either.

jv001
01-22-2010, 09:20 PM
Thank God for Coach Knight. He certainly did not hesitate to call cal out. Man has got some guts. Go Duke!

dynastydefender
01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
simple. it all boils down to: $. There are a lot of UK fans out there. And its always a juicy story for a once strong program to claw its way back.

It seems that the recent 10-year paradigm for the media to love the ACC during basketball season is changing. I know it's really difficult for die-hard Duke fans to accept that. Look on the bright side. UNC really is sub-par this year. :)

slower
01-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Thank God for Coach Knight. He certainly did not hesitate to call cal out. Man has got some guts. Go Duke!

The General fears no man. I'd love to see some game footage of his Ohio State playing days. I wonder if he was a badass (sorry, Nate) even back in the day.

sagegrouse
01-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Besides, a media member must possess some really hefty stones to go after Cal or the Cats in this environment. Unless you're holding some really powerful cards, it's a losing proposition every time. You will be mocked, humiliated, denigrated and rejected from Paducah to Pikeville. And UK fans do not forget, so it will be that way forever.

As a practical matter, sports reporters in the state of Kentucky MUST get along with the basketball program at UK. Sure we can find critical articles -- but usually it's when a guy like Gillispie is heading down a slippery slope.

And hey, the local sports establishment is de-lighted to have UK at number one -- it's good for readers and advertising both.;)

I'd give the press a break until there is minor or major violation or legal incident in Lexington. That would be a fair test.

sagegrouse
'There are many places where the press give the coaches the benefit of the doubt... and beyond'

dukemsu
01-23-2010, 07:47 PM
He's a character who fills up notebooks and recorders.

He also has off-the-charts charisma and really knows how to work the media. He's playing a role the whole time, but he doesn't talk down to the press and makes them feel important.

K used to do the same thing, prior to his illness. He played the games with the media as well as anyone. That all changed, due somewhat to his filling Dean's role in terms of seniority and through his reduced accessibility/delegation to assistants of the usual media chores.

You don't often see puff pieces on K anymore because he's cut a lot of his former media ties, and what's starting to alarm me is that you see more articles that paint him as something of a figurehead who isn't involved as much in day to day coaching.

dukemsu