PDA

View Full Version : Now this here is just plain funny

throatybeard
01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm the last guy to holler about Coach K's use of the bench (1A), but this is ROFL. A well-known DBR poster has started a FaceBook group, "If 1,000,000 People Join, Coach K Will Use His Damn Bench!!!"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=264352264089&ref=mf

Duvall
01-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't know who this Roger Gravlin is, but he's clearly wrong.

Duke has nine scholarship players, and eight of them are in the rotation, averaging over 15 minutes per game. This is the wrong year to complain about Krzyzewski being unwilling to use his bench.

BlueintheFace
01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
(Yaaaaaaaaawn)

Poor guy

allenmurray
01-22-2010, 08:41 PM
I have no idea about the identity of this "well-known" poster, so I'm not sure how "well-known" he is (given that my post count is embarassingly high.

Tom B.
01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I have no idea about the identity of this "well-known" poster, so I'm not sure how "well-known" he is (given that my post count is embarassingly high.

He's been a frequent poster over the last several years, though not as much lately, it seems. His post count is actually higher than yours.

BobbyFan
01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Well, he's already rounded up 11 people, so this thing might become reality.

Verga3
01-23-2010, 06:51 PM

Duke has nine scholarship players, and eight of them are in the rotation, averaging over 15 minutes per game. This is the wrong year to complain about Krzyzewski being unwilling to use his bench.

Agreed. The eight players to which you refer are, as a unit, averaging 30 minutes per game prior to tonight's game.

Mike Corey
01-23-2010, 08:10 PM
If Roger Gravlin were on K's bench, he'd be the best 7th guy off the bench in the league. ;)

Roger's actually an exceedingly nice guy, except when he's pummeling you in scrabble.

Shammrog
01-26-2010, 08:07 AM
If Roger Gravlin were on K's bench, he'd be the best 7th guy off the bench in the league. ;)

Roger's actually an exceedingly nice guy, except when he's pummeling you in scrabble.

Thanks Mike! (Uh oh - the cat's out of the bag!)

DukieInKansas
01-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Mike! (Uh oh - the cat's out of the bag!)

I think the bag was see through - the cat didn't have to come out far. ;)

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM

That would be the (In)famous Shammrog, a prince of a man.

That being said, when I got the invite from Rog to join, I declined because I'm solidly in the "Coach K and his three national championships can decide how to use his bench without my help" camp.

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
That being said, when I got the invite from Rog to join, I declined because I'm solidly in the "Coach K and his three national championships can decide how to use his bench without my help" camp.

But since Shammy knows more about everything than anybody else, doesn't it stand to reason that he would know more about coaching Duke basketball than coach K? ;)

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 09:56 AM
But since Shammy knows more about everything than anybody else, doesn't it stand to reason that he would know more about coaching Duke basketball than coach K? ;)

Remembering Rog's PPB posts, I think he would merely argue that he has the liberty to question Coach K's decisions, but that, as long as the federal government doesn't try to regulate Coach K's use of his bench or place a VAT on the purchase of Duke Basketball tickets, he's not going to get too upset about it.

dukeimac
01-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Here is a prime example of what is wrong with this site.

Recently someone started a thread on this site complaining about Coach K and not playing his bench and I bet it was him.

Some advice folks. Before you are critical of ANYONE you must first walk in their shoes. I will be critical of anyone being critical of a coach because I've been there.

No one outside the players and coaching staff knows what is going on in practice that leads to ones playing time. YOU have no clue what is leading to ones playing time.

Everyone wants to be critical of Dawkins playing time but as was stated the other night during the Clemson game that he may not be over is sisters death. Stop and think about it, she died going / coming from a game of his, just what does that make him feel like when he takes the court for a game? Just how quickly should one get over a death?

These are the same fools who were so high on Boykins, Boetang and King. Oh the youtube videos showed so much promise. And they are the ones who complain so much when Duke looses but yet he needs to play the bench.

When people chime in to the nonsense that is written on this site it just makes me think Duke fans are no better than UNC fans, surely no smarter. This guy is an alum of '93 but I think he was IN the "special" ed department. This guy probably is coaching his daughters team and thinks he could do every bite as good a Coach K. This guy must be working in a photo booth with his cousin, wife.

Your a fool to think you know better than Coach K in coaching his team, just a fool. And if I was a recruit and saw this crap, I surely wouldn't want to come to Duke; when fans think they can do a better job than a coach who has won 3 national titles and coached the USA Olympic team and will coach them again.

Seriously, this guy should be running the stock market or the country.

And when you respond to the likes of him you are no better. Stupid dribble is stupid dribble, it is not a chance for you to voice your opinion. I have been guilty of responding before but no more. My UNC friends are feeling much better these days because they see what gets posted here and they laugh, they know Duke fans are no better.

Keep it up and this will be your sign:

Duke = Minnesota (bring on the recruits)

calltheobvious
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
See that, Sham? You just got dealt with.;)

jafarr1
01-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Is there a school in the country that *don't* have fans that think they know better than the coach, at least on some issues?

I really doubt this tendency will affect Duke recruiting, because anywhere the recruits would go, there will be fans questioning some aspects of what the coach is doing.

cbnaylor
01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
There are sometimes where I believe Coach K should play his bench more BUT, Coach K is the Coach for DUKE BASKETBALL FOR A REASON. K knows what he's doing and we should trust in that.

Shammrog
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
That would be the (In)famous Shammrog, a prince of a man.

Guys, guys, guys - the group is mainly TONGUE IN CHEEK.

I would love for Coach to use his bench more, but a. he knows better than I and b. I actually think we are using our bench more this year than in recent years.

Jeffrey
01-26-2010, 11:02 AM
And when you respond to the likes of him you are no better. Stupid dribble is stupid dribble, it is not a chance for you to voice your opinion.

Through the Looking-Glass.

Shammrog
01-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Recently someone started a thread on this site complaining about Coach K and not playing his bench and I bet it was him.

Some advice folks. Before you are critical of ANYONE you must first walk in their shoes. I will be critical of anyone being critical of a coach because I've been there.

No one outside the players and coaching staff knows what is going on in practice that leads to ones playing time. YOU have no clue what is leading to ones playing time.

Everyone wants to be critical of Dawkins playing time but as was stated the other night during the Clemson game that he may not be over is sisters death. Stop and think about it, she died going / coming from a game of his, just what does that make him feel like when he takes the court for a game? Just how quickly should one get over a death?

These are the same fools who were so high on Boykins, Boetang and King. Oh the youtube videos showed so much promise. And they are the ones who complain so much when Duke looses but yet he needs to play the bench.

When people chime in to the nonsense that is written on this site it just makes me think Duke fans are no better than UNC fans, surely no smarter. This guy is an alum of '93 but I think he was IN the "special" ed department. This guy probably is coaching his daughters team and thinks he could do every bite as good a Coach K. This guy must be working in a photo booth with his cousin, wife.

Your a fool to think you know better than Coach K in coaching his team, just a fool. And if I was a recruit and saw this crap, I surely wouldn't want to come to Duke; when fans think they can do a better job than a coach who has won 3 national titles and coached the USA Olympic team and will coach them again.

And when you respond to the likes of him you are no better. Stupid dribble is stupid dribble, it is not a chance for you to voice your opinion. I have been guilty of responding before but no more. My UNC friends are feeling much better these days because they see what gets posted here and they laugh, they know Duke fans are no better.

Keep it up and this will be your sign:

Duke = Minnesota (bring on the recruits)

I think what is wrong with this site is at times the inability of people to show any sense of humor.

Or, accept *anything* - even in jest, that might somehow be considered critical. (Side note: um, criticize, or at least critique/offer opinions, is what good fans do.)

(No, I didn't start the bench thread.)
(No, I wasn't in special ed. In fact, a cursory check of the web will reveal no such department. Get your facts straight.)
(No, my wife is not my cousin. In fact, I never even got to third base with any of my cousins.)

Bostondevil
01-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I am momentarily in the lead in my current Scrabble game with Shammrog. It's the little things that make life worth living. I just played 'AZAN' for 39 points. Ah. Wish me luck, he can come from behind with the best of them (wilson). I'd put Shamm on my bench anytime.

J_C_Steel
01-26-2010, 11:37 AM

I completely disagree with this. Basically, you're saying that all forms of professional criticism -- literary, philosophical, political, cultural -- are fundamentally flawed because the critics have not "walked in the shoes" of those they criticize. You are precluding and dismissing the academic concept of learned, reasoned criticism.

People who have learned basketball, followed the game, perhaps (but not necessarily) played the game at some level, and researched performance based on certain statistical and non-statistical measures certainly have a "reasonable basis" on which to criticize or laud the handling of a basketball team. That does not mean that they are "right," but it lends some credence to their opinion.

Roger Ebert never directed a professional film. Does that mean he cannot be a film critic?

Robert Hughes never created a professional piece of art. Does that mean he cannot be an art critic?

True, but that does not mean that Duke's short bench won't catch up with the team. Just because there may be sound, hidden reasons for the minutes played by Duke's starters this year does not mean that the strategy of playing those starters so much will not backfire.

Fans are allowed to have opinions.

Hey. Have you walked in Dawkins' shoes? If not, how can you express the opinion that he "may not be over his sisters death"?

If you're going to be unreasonable, at least stay consistent.

;)

And here you construct a strawman -- "the same fools" -- with which to argue. And you told that strawman!

So now you take personal shots at a guy because you disagree with his opinion. That's just swell.

Coach K is a great coach, but he's not infallible. He has a high-profile position and knows that he will receive great praise when his teams perform well and criticism when his teams do not perform well.

I'm a Duke grad and a big fan of Coach K, but that doesn't render him immune to all forms of criticism. I certainly believe that he's made coaching and recruiting mistakes over the years. I'm fairly sure that Coach K, being a hard worker and realist, would recognize that as well.

Do you honestly think Coach K is perfect and beyond reproach?

Not sure what the stock market and the country have to do with college basketball, but hey, you're on a roll.

Stupid "dribble"? Nice. I believe you mean "drivel."

Here's the bottom line, my friend. One of the purposes of a "message board" is so that fans can provide their opinions to other fans. These opinions may include criticism of the team, its players and its coaches. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, without criticism, all we'd be doing on this board is holding hands, kissing bum, and singing Kumbaya. And that's not fun at all...

Have a wonderful Tuesday.

J_C_Steel
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I think what is wrong with this site is at times the inability of people to show any sense of humor.

Or, accept *anything* - even in jest, that might somehow be considered critical. (Side note: um, criticize, or at least critique/offer opinions, is what good fans do.)

(No, I didn't start the bench thread.)
(No, I wasn't in special ed. In fact, a cursory check of the web will reveal no such department. Get your facts straight.)
(No, my wife is not my cousin. In fact, I never even got to third base with any of my cousins.)

Well said.

Fans who do not think critically are mere sheep.

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

I would love for Coach to use his bench more, but a. he knows better than I and b. I actually think we are using our bench more this year than in recent years.

And even if I didn't join the group, you know I love you like a cousin I never got to 3rd base with :eek:

And I'd kick your candy-a** at scrabble...

flyingdutchdevil
01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Does that mean that he got to second base with his cousin?

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Does that mean that he got to second base with his cousin?

Dr. Suess once wrote a book called: Oh The Places You'll Go.

May I humbly suggest you read his lesser known work: Oh The Places You Shouldn't Go! ;)

flyingdutchdevil
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM

May I humbly suggest you read his lesser known work: Oh The Places You Shouldn't Go! ;)

Gottcha. Shouldn't have asked the question in the first place? ;)

Fairly new to the forum... I haven't really heard of Shammog before

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Gottcha. Shouldn't have asked the question in the first place? ;)

Fairly new to the forum... I haven't really heard of Shammog before

He rarely posted anywhere other than the PPB. Despite my many and myriad disagreements with him, I'll always admit he had a good sense of humor.

rasputin
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
He rarely posted anywhere other than the PPB. Despite my many and myriad disagreements with him, I'll always admit he had a good sense of humor.

You have to have a good sense of humor when you're always wrong.;)

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
You have to have a good sense of humor when you're always wrong.;)

YJMMSCAOMK (you just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard).

RelativeWays
01-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Well said.

Fans who do not think critically are mere sheep.

Actually UNC fans are pretty good at criticizing their coach, players, uniforms, other fans, well pretty much everything about the program.

davekay1971
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Actually UNC fans are pretty good at criticizing their coach, players, uniforms, other fans, well pretty much everything about the program.

You're so baaahahahahahad

dball
01-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Roger Ebert never directed a professional film. Does that mean he cannot be a film critic?

But Roger wrote a few including "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" and "Up!"--not to be confused with the more recent "Up".

91_92_01_10_15
01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Posted for your consideration:

"So all you critics sit alone;
You're no better than me for what you've shown.
With your stomach pump and your hook and ladder dreams
We could get together for some scenes."

-Neil Young
"Ambulance Blues"

striker219
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Stupid "dribble"? Nice. I believe you mean "drivel."

That was my favorite part of the original rant, I think. :D

Kumbaya friends!

Shammrog
01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
That was my favorite part of the original rant, I think. :D

Kumbaya friends!

Thankfully, I have now ceased my mindless dribble. :D

BlueintheFace
01-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Where else would it be?

allenmurray
01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Where else would it be?

I will take this opportunity to repeat myself:

May I humbly suggest you read his lesser known work: Oh The Places You Shouldn't Go! :eek:

DukieTiger
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Posted for your consideration:

"So all you critics sit alone;
You're no better than me for what you've shown.
With your stomach pump and your hook and ladder dreams
We could get together for some scenes."

-Neil Young
"Ambulance Blues"

Neil Young? A southern man don't need him around, anyhow.

Troublemaker
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
dukeimac might've intended his/her post to be in jest as well. That was my first thought at least.

TNDukeFan
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Stupid dribble is stupid dribble, it is not a chance for you to voice your opinion.

It's "drivel." Unless you're deliberately using the basketball term...

Shammrog
01-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Anyone still don't believe me - that we are wearing down our players?!?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=264352264089#/photo.php?pid=100259656&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=264352264089&aid=-1&id=1206561289

Jeffrey
01-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Anyone still don't believe me - that we are wearing down our players?!?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=264352264089#/photo.php?pid=100259656&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=264352264089&aid=-1&id=1206561289

It appears to me that Kyle is becoming more relaxed and comfortable. Isn't that good?

dukeimac
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Is there a school in the country that *don't* have fans that think they know better than the coach, at least on some issues?

I really doubt this tendency will affect Duke recruiting, because anywhere the recruits would go, there will be fans questioning some aspects of what the coach is doing.

Thanks for bring Duke down to their level! I guess Duke's coaches and players are no better than theirs.