PDA

View Full Version : Laettner a Hall of Famer?

mr. synellinden
01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
This article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4844905) seems to suggest that the entire 1992 Olympic basketball team is going to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame this year. Does this make Laettner a Hall of Famer. Would he be Duke's first player to be so honored?

BlueDevilBaby
01-21-2010, 03:07 PM
That would be pretty darn cool. Did you all see Jackson's and Van Gundy's all-time college teams during the game telecast last night? One (I think Jackson) put Danny Manning on his list - how could anyone put him on such a list ahead of Christian?

hughgs
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
That would be pretty darn cool. Did you all see Jackson's and Van Gundy's all-time college teams during the game telecast last night? One (I think Jackson) put Danny Manning on his list - how could anyone put him on such a list ahead of Christian?

Because Jackson and Van Gundy accounted for players' pro careers.

strawbs
01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
i read somewhere a while back that christian would not be recognized as a hall of famer as an individual. They are going in as a team, so technically no christian will not be a hall of famer

arnie
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM

Even worse, Van Gundy had Michael Jordan on this list of 5 greatest COLLEGE players. I guess he pays no attention.

NYDukie
01-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Do remember that the Basketball Hall of Fame is all inclusive of both the professional (international I believe, too) and college (men's and women's) ranks. As a result, Laettner does deserve to be in the hall of fame because of his accomplishments at the college level.

BlueDevilBaby
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM

I figured that was it, but was not listening to their discussion. But I still would not put Manning on the list.

hughgs
01-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I figured that was it, but was not listening to their discussion. But I still would not put Manning on the list.

When I didn't see Laettner on the list I specifically listened for their justification.

barjwr
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Accounting for pro careers wouldn't really do anything for Manning, anyway. His collegiate career was much more stellar by comparison. I don't think his collegiate accomplishments were as impressive as Laettner's (which certainly has a lot to do with supporting cast), but I think an argument about how "good" a college player he was v. Laettner would be a reasonable discussion. Putting Jordan into such a discussion has no merit whatsoever; I have a coworker that is so drunk with baby blue Kool-Aid that she ranks him as THE all-time greatest collegian. Ugh.

FWIW, Mike & Mike actually discussed the enshrinement this morning, and each agreed that Laettner should be a candidate for the Basketball Hall of Fame based upon the merits of his collegiate career.

davekay1971
01-21-2010, 05:04 PM
There's just no question that, considering Laettner's college accomplishments separate from pro career, he is a hall-of-famer. If his stellar regular season college career wasn't enough, his NCAA tournament performances for all four of his college years would be. I simply can't think of any college player who performed at as high of a level in the NCAA tournament for four years as did Laettner. To compare more fairly to guys who played when frosh were not allowed to play varsity, look at Laettner's NCAA performance his soph-senior years. Anyone match that? Ever?

flyingdutchdevil
01-21-2010, 05:22 PM
How does the Hall of Fame work if you played in both college and the NBA? Do they put more weight on your professional carrier? If you were exceptional at one but mediocre at the other, then what happens there?

It's been said - Laettner had one of the most accomplished college carriers. His pro carreer wasn't bad; it wasn't that great either. He was an All-Star (1 year), but seen as an NBA underachiever, especially considering the hype he had going into the League.

If you consider both college and the NBA, I'd say it's a coin flip. Great college + decent pro career = 50/50 hall of fame. If he decided to coach and had a pretty good career there, then definitely.

superdave
01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Laettner is the best post-1970s, expanded NCAA tourney, modern era, shot clock era, three point line era, whathaveyou college basketball player.

The only player to start 4 Final Fours, all-time leading scorer in NCAA tourney history. Two game-winning buzzer beaters in Regional Finals, one perfect game and two of the most clutch free throws in history. He's college's Jerry West.

Len Bias arguably had a better college career than Jordan, as did Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Juan Dixon and Tyler Hansborough. And I have not even left the ACC yet...

barjwr
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I think they take each component of a basketball career on its own merits. That's how guys like John Wooden and Lenny Wilkens are inducted as both coaches and players. Look at Clyde Lovellette as a good comparator: he had a monster collegiate career, but his pro experience was more like Laettner's.

Which brings to mind another question: must the reverse be true? Do you have to have a stellar collegiate AND pro careers to be enshrined? I think probably not, as Joe Dumars is in, despite not a particularly distinguished career at McNeese State.

barjwr
01-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Len Bias arguably had a better college career than Jordan, as did Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Juan Dixon and Tyler Hansborough. And I have not even left the ACC yet...

. . . so did Jason Williams, with a comparable three-year stint . . .

RelativeWays
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
I doubt Danny Manning had a better pro career than Laettner either. I dont remember hearing much about him when he went into the league with the clips.

barjwr
01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Accounting for pro careers wouldn't really do anything for Manning, anyway. His collegiate career was much more stellar by comparison. I don't think his collegiate accomplishments were as impressive as Laettner's (which certainly has a lot to do with supporting cast) . . . .

Hate to quote myself, but I meant that Manning's collegiate career was much more stellar than his pro career, not more stellar than Laettner's collegiate career . . . in case there was any question. . . .