PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. NC State

Jumbo
01-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Who was the Man of the Match against NC State? Be nice.

BlueintheFace
01-20-2010, 11:45 PM
LOL @ the Dawkins vote. Andre, is that you?

FireOgilvie
01-20-2010, 11:51 PM
LOL @ the Dawkins vote. Andre, is that you?

He missed the least shots.

But seriously, I hate to see that he hasn't hit a 3 in the last 6 games. He's only attempted 8 and we've gone away from him on offense, which is too bad because Singler has been ice cold in that same period from 3. More posting up for Singler, less dribbling.

Nolan has been our best player overall the last few games (most consistent).

CDu
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
He missed the least shots.

But seriously, I hate to see that he hasn't hit a 3 in the last 6 games. He's only attempted 8 and we've gone away from him on offense, which is too bad because Singler has been ice cold in that same period from 3. More posting up for Singler, less dribbling.

Nolan has been our best player overall the last few games (most consistent).

The 3-pt shooting as a team has suffered in January. Tonight was better (38.5%), but Singler and Dawkins have lost their stroke and Scheyer hadn't shot well from deep prior to tonight. Hopefully it's just a brief slump and we'll start turning it up in February and March.

elvis14
01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
I wish Jordan, Steve or Casey would have been included in the pool of choices.

ice-9
01-21-2010, 02:05 AM
I voted Nolan though Singler is a close runner-up.

Even though Singler didn't shoot particularly well he was a warrior driving to the paint and getting foul shots.

But I voted Nolan because so far this season he has been our most consistent player offensively. I have to say I didn't expect that going into the season.

mgtr
01-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I believe that all of the men of the match were wearing white and red uniforms, unfortunately.

The Gordog
01-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I voted for Kyle. While Nolan made a lot of great drives he shot 50% whilch does not warrant huge props. Solid game? Yes, but I think Kyle's defence was superior and he made strides toward comeing out of his funk.

94duke
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I voted for Kyle. While Nolan made a lot of great drives he shot 50% whilch does not warrant huge props. Solid game? Yes, but I think Kyle's defence was superior and he made strides toward comeing out of his funk.

50% does not warrant huge props? Are you kidding?
That is outstanding for a guard!
Kyle was 6-16 (37.5%).
I guess I don't understand how you can criticize 50% and say that Kyle is coming out of his slump while shooting 37.5%.

flyingdutchdevil
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Kyle was 6-16 (37.5%).
I guess I don't understand how you can criticize 50% and say that Kyle is coming out of his slump while shooting 37.5%.

Well said. Very well said. Don't take Nolan for granted. Every Duke fan seems to do so. I have no idea why...

soccerstud2210
01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
i voted for no one. no one worth voting for IMO

JDev
01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Nolan gets the vote for being productive and pretty efficient offensively, making half of his shots. Scheyer and Singler ended up being productive, but they weren't efficient, going a combined 11 for 30. I did not mention defense because no one really played much of it.

concrete
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Well said. Very well said. Don't take Nolan for granted. Every Duke fan seems to do so. I have no idea why...

yes you do! Fans are fans for different reasons, doesn't necessarily mean they are being objective.

Jumbo
01-21-2010, 06:22 PM

I don't think anyone is taking Nolan for granted. But there is more to basketball than hitting half your shots. Last night, the drive-and-kick aspect of Nolan's game disappeared. If he is not driving and kicking, if he is playing with his head down, he's not helping the team nearly as much as he needs to be. Duke's three perimeter players need to moving in concert with one another at all times. That's what generates chemistry on this team. Nolan had made HUGE progress in this area during December and early January. Last night was a big step back.

tele
01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I voted for Nolan. Both he and Singler played all 40 minutes, so there is that. Also I thought Nolan played with more fluidity and seemed to maybe be seeing the court better than past games. Or at least, he didn't seem to have his mind made up what he was going to do with the ball so much before he got it.

Not that the offense ever looked that in sync, especially early in the game, but I thought for the most part, it looked less out of sync when Nolan had the ball.

ice-9
01-22-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think anyone is taking Nolan for granted. But there is more to basketball than hitting half your shots. Last night, the drive-and-kick aspect of Nolan's game disappeared. If he is not driving and kicking, if he is playing with his head down, he's not helping the team nearly as much as he needs to be. Duke's three perimeter players need to moving in concert with one another at all times. That's what generates chemistry on this team. Nolan had made HUGE progress in this area during December and early January. Last night was a big step back.

Yes, everyone could've played better, but among all the players in that game is Nolan really the one most deserving of criticism? Even among the Big 3? Of Singler, Scheyer and Smith, I thought Smith was closest to having a good game.

94duke
01-22-2010, 08:46 AM

Is it possible he was looking to dish less because the other guys weren't hitting their shots? It seems like he was trying to score more while others were having trouble scoring. That sounds like a good plan to me.

CDu
01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Is it possible he was looking to dish less because the other guys weren't hitting their shots? It seems like he was trying to score more while others were having trouble scoring. That sounds like a good plan to me.

I agree. Smith did end up tied for the team lead in assists, so it's not like he was any worse about distributing off the dribble than Scheyer or Singler.

I utlimately voted for Singler, because he ended up being the leading scorer and had a good defensive effort in limiting Wood's open looks. But I certainly wouldn't have singled Smith out specifically for not generating offense for others.

I agree that the offense is better when the big three are moving in concert and the ball is moving well. But for whatever reason, that wasn't happening, and it was evident with all three of the big three. I'll credit NC State's defense some for that.

RepoMan
01-22-2010, 09:24 AM

I dunno. I sort of think Nolan saw a team in a funk and decided that it was important to try to step up and score via drive to generate momentum--hence, no "kick." I had no problem with that under the circumstances.

The Gordog
01-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Kyle was 6-16 (37.5%).

No it doesn'twarrent huge props. It's what is expected, solid. And I did not criticize anyone, not did I say Kyle is coming out of his slump, I said he made strides in that direction, i.e. he played better than before and in a style that helps the team more IMHO.

Thank you.

Yes, everyone could've played better, but among all the players in that game is Nolan really the one most deserving of criticism? Even among the Big 3? Of Singler, Scheyer and Smith, I thought Smith was closest to having a good game.

I think Jumbo only mentioned Smith in response to my discussion with 94duke. I am sure we could all find things to pick apart in the game played by every individual on the team. It was truly a team loss. So while they all had issues I thought Kyle was trending up whereas everyone else was trending down (with the possible exception of Zoubeck who played about the same.) Is that more clear?

jv001
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm happy to say that in most games I have a hard time finding the true motm because several players have good games. But in the NC State game sadly that was not the case. It was the opposite. No one really stood out as deserving of the honor. Some just played better than others but not by much. The perimeter shot 18 for 46, with Nolan shooting the best at 7/14. The perimeter had 7 turnovers to go with 4 assists. Our front court had 7 turnovers to go with 4 assists. Jon and Nolan had 4 assists combined. Lance had a fair game with 5 pts, 12 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Zoubek was fair also; 6 pts, 9 rebs, 1 asst, 2 turnovers. Miles was 0 pts, 3 rebs, 0 assists, 1 turnover, Mason 2 pts, 3 rebs, 1 assist, 1 turnover. So when our perimeter guys have 4 assists and 7 turnovers, get beat off the dribble and shoot under 40% and our front court guys score only 13 pts we are in for a long night. I don't think we should argue over who won this MOTM. Hardly anyone was deserving. Go Duke!

CDu
01-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm happy to say that in most games I have a hard time finding the true motm because several players have good games. But in the NC State game sadly that was not the case. It was the opposite. No one really stood out as deserving of the honor. Some just played better than others but not by much. The perimeter shot 18 for 46, with Nolan shooting the best at 7/14. The perimeter had 7 turnovers to go with 4 assists. Our front court had 7 turnovers to go with 4 assists. Jon and Nolan had 4 assists combined. Lance had a fair game with 5 pts, 12 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Zoubek was fair also; 6 pts, 9 rebs, 1 asst, 2 turnovers. Miles was 0 pts, 3 rebs, 0 assists, 1 turnover, Mason 2 pts, 3 rebs, 1 assist, 1 turnover. So when our perimeter guys have 4 assists and 7 turnovers, get beat off the dribble and shoot under 40% and our front court guys score only 13 pts we are in for a long night. I don't think we should argue over who won this MOTM. Hardly anyone was deserving. Go Duke!

That's a good point. Everybody struggled in some aspect of the game. Technically, somebody had to get the award, but quibbling over who got it is kind of a waste given that - relative to a normal game - no one really earned it.