PDA

View Full Version : Fight Songs and Stadium Songs

diesel
01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
This subject was inspired by hearing the Duke band play “Fat Bottom Girls” the other night. Always one of my favorites from Queen. Thanks guys!

But it led me to think how often I hear the “Zombie Nation” theme at ACC bball games. You hear it a lot at Maryland home games at College Park, which is appropriate I suppose, to reflect the audience there.

But I heard it at Georgia Tech the other night and I have also heard it at Wake home games and elsewhere: all over, in fact. Why the dominance? It seems to rank with the popularity of “Louie Louie” to marching bands in the day.

While I’m on the subject, someone on DBR mentioned that Bruce Springsteen did a version of the Tar Holes fight song. Where was this? Why was the Boss lowering himself to do this? But is there a good CD of ACC fight songs that one can acquire?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
This subject was inspired by hearing the Duke band play “Fat Bottom Girls” the other night. Always one of my favorites from Queen. Thanks guys!

But it led me to think how often I hear the “Zombie Nation” theme at ACC bball games. You hear it a lot at Maryland home games at College Park, which is appropriate I suppose, to reflect the audience there.

But I heard it at Georgia Tech the other night and I have also heard it at Wake home games and elsewhere: all over, in fact. Why the dominance? It seems to rank with the popularity of “Louie Louie” to marching bands in the day.

While I’m on the subject, someone on DBR mentioned that Bruce Springsteen did a version of the Tar Holes fight song. Where was this? Why was the Boss lowering himself to do this? But is there a good CD of ACC fight songs that one can acquire?

It's been my impression that Wake claimed "Zombie Nation" before other ACC schools did. Seemed to arise along with the tie dye thing when Skip Prosser arrived.

Interesting that you should mention "Louie, Louie" as played by a marching band. I love marching band musical arrangements.... "Louie, Louie" is a special favorite I associate with the fall and beginning of football season.

hurleyfor3
01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Zombie Nation is actually the name of the artist. The song with all the "whoooooa"s in it is called "Kernkraft 400". If you want to appear really informed, pronounce it as in German, cairn-croft-fier-hoondert.

There's also a remix without the whoooooa's, but to most Americans that misses the point.

diesel
01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Zombie Nation is actually the name of the artist. .

That's why I refered to it as "the Zombie Nation theme," since I knew of its German origin.

But I erred in referring to Queen, whose song is actually "Fat Bottomed Girls." You're not keen on this song, Devil in the Blue Dress?

Anyway, we're moving up in time. I have a whole CD of different versions of "Louie, Louie", including a version by the Rice University Marching Owls Band, which may be a version you like, Devil in the Blue Dress. I believe the Kingsmen made the song popular in the early 1960's.

The Queen version of "Fat Bottomed Girls " I have dates to the late 70's, while I am informed "Zombie Nation" became popular at sports events in the early 2000's.

So after meandering through the past, what is the 2010 melody that will compete with these classics? And can DUMB play it?

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
That's why I refered to it as "the Zombie Nation theme," since I knew of its German origin.

But I erred in referring to Queen, whose song is actually "Fat Bottomed Girls." You're not keen on this song, Devil in the Blue Dress?

Anyway, we're moving up in time. I have a whole CD of different versions of "Louie, Louie", including a version by the Rice University Marching Owls Band, which may be a version you like, Devil in the Blue Dress. I believe the Kingsmen made the song popular in the early 1960's.

The Queen version of "Fat Bottomed Girls " I have dates to the late 70's, while I am informed "Zombie Nation" became popular at sports events in the early 2000's.

So after meandering through the past, what is the 2010 melody that will compete with these classics? And can DUMB play it?

I'm familiar with the Rice University Marching Band's performance of "Louie, Louie." I often listen to the Duke Pep Band's performance on their CD.

Kdogg
01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
There's also a remix without the whoooooa's, but to most Americans that misses the point.

I think what you hear at games is the remix. The original doesn't have the whooooa's. Like Seven Nation Army (which I love) it's definitely over played. Does DUMB still play Rock Lobster? I haven't been to Cameron in years.