View Full Version : MBB: Duke at NC State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

94duke
01-20-2010, 09:26 AM
How will Gonzalez handle our defense?
Can State get hot from outside?

Let's discuss! :)

moonpie23
01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
i predict a tough game for us tonight.....sidney always gets his guys up for duke.......don't expect a cake-walk...

ke·walk (kkwôk)
n.
1. Something easily accomplished: Winning the race was a cakewalk for her.
2. A 19th-century public entertainment among African Americans in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.
a. A strutting dance, often performed in minstrel shows.
b. The music for this dance.
intr.v. cake·walked, cake·walk·ing, cake·walks
To perform a strutting dance.

CDu
01-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Whew! For a second there I thought I'd have to post a thread. Thanks for saving me the torture! :)

I think this is a good game to fit between the Wake and Clemson games. It's a less talented team, which is good in that hopefully we can lick our wounds a bit and still get a win. But it's on the road, which will serve as a warmup for the hostile crowd at Clemson.

I think NC State just lacks the horses to compete for 40 minutes with us unless we really struggle from the floor. On the perimeter, we have the three best perimeter players (heck, maybe even the four best perimeter players if Dawkins is hitting his shots). In the paint, they have the most accomplished player, but we have the size and depth to offset any advantage Smith might have.

Hopefully Thomas's defense returns after a tough one against Aminu, and hopefully Mason is ready to fill the other minutes against Smith. The height and athleticism of the Plumlees could make life difficult for Smith.

But I think this game will be won on the perimeter, where we have a huge advantage. Wood and Williams aren't likely to be able to stop Singler (if Singler is close to full strength), and the NC State guards just aren't in the same league as Smith and Scheyer. I doubt that Smith will be able to carry the team against our frontcourt to make up the difference.

Unless we really struggle with our shooting or somehow get in foul trouble or one of their guards has an otherworldly shooting performance, I think we win this game comfortably.

CDu
01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
i predict a tough game for us tonight.....sidney always gets his guys up for duke.......don't expect a cake-walk...

ke·walk (kkwôk)
n.
1. Something easily accomplished: Winning the race was a cakewalk for her.
2. A 19th-century public entertainment among African Americans in which walkers performing the most accomplished or amusing steps won cakes as prizes.
a. A strutting dance, often performed in minstrel shows.
b. The music for this dance.
intr.v. cake·walked, cake·walk·ing, cake·walks
To perform a strutting dance.

Well, I don't know about a cakewalk, but I do think we'll win comfortably. We've beaten them by at least 15 in three of the last four regular-season meetings. And those three NC State teams were more talented than this year's team, while our team is better than any of our previous three teams.

I could definitely see them keeping it really close for 10-15 minutes before we start to pull away.

jipops
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Watching the sports segment on the 11pm news for the local ABC affiliate here in Raleigh, the big topic ofcourse was the Big 4 in action tonight. First was the topic of the Wake-UNC game. There was a segment for Wake interviewing Dino then a segment focusing on UNC followed by an interview with Will Graves. On the topic of State-Duke there was a segment on State about the upcoming game and a brief interview with Lowe. Then the story immediately shifted to the ECU football coaching search. No story focusing on Duke (the top ranked team nationally in the ACC) and no interview with a coach or player. This is typical local media.

Hopefully Duke makes the local station look extremely foolish for the slight.

RainingThrees
01-20-2010, 11:18 AM
The Firm should be licking their chops at the NC State perimeter. This is a game for Scheyer to get back on track and hopefully for Singler to get his shooting to like it was in the second half of the Wake game. I guess I shouldn't take it for granted, but I'm almost expecting Nolan to have another 20 point performance, he's been that good.

Reisen
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Anyone know if I can get this game in the NYC area on Cablevision? I feel like I could get Raycom games in the DC area, but no idea up here.

KyDevilinIL
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Uh, first things first, we need to win a true road game. Everything else is tied for Priority No. 2.

wilson
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Uh, first things first, we need to win a true road game. Everything else is tied for Priority No. 2.Agreed. Coupled with State's desire to break the streak against us and their overall progress this season (both duly noted on the front page), that makes tonight's game an interesting one for us, and a better challenge than many might realize.
Then there's Climpsun looming on Saturday. A very intriguing week for our team, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them in action.

scottdude8
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll be at the game tonight in press row, and personally think it will end up being a competitive game... the fact is, N.C. State still views us as a rival, so they are going to play this like they're biggest game of the year. Plus, I'm slightly nervous that the residual effects of such a physical game against Wake Sunday will show early today, and at least keep the Wolfpack in it early.

Duvall
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Uh, first things first, we need to win a true road game. Everything else is tied for Priority No. 2.

I don't know what this means. Everything else?

tbyers11
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone know if I can get this game in the NYC area on Cablevision? I feel like I could get Raycom games in the DC area, but no idea up here.

Here is a link (http://www.raycomsports.com/index.php/ACC-Information/acc-basketball-match-center-duke-vs-nc-state.html#local_listings) of all the local affiliates carrying the Raycom feed of the Duke-NCST game. Nothing in NY.

The free online stream info from Raycom (see same link) doesn't go to NY either, but according to the ESPN360 schedule (http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/schedule) the game will be on there (outside of the Raycom broadcast area - where it will be blacked out) if you have ESPN360.

KyDevilinIL
01-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't know what this means. Everything else?

I certainly don't believe we're going winless on the road this season. But until we win a road game, we still haven't won a road game. So winning a road game is job one tonight.

"Everything else" means exactly that. Whatever happens in terms of the team's development, Jon's scoring, Kyle's shooting, the continued emergence of the Plumlees, etc. is important, and could be even more important in the long run than winning a single game at N.C. State. But in the context of tonight only, winning on the road for the first time this season is at the top of the list of things I hope to see.

jv001
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I may be wrong on this game, but I'm worried that we will have a dog fight on our hands tonight. After a rough game with Wake and a big game at Clemson on Saturday, this could be a team we overlook. I know that Coach K will try to stress this fact and I know we have an experienced team. It could happen. State always plays us well. Especially for 20 or 30 minutes. I hope we come out and put them on their heels(hate that word). Don't give them any added confidence. I look for a tight game. Maybe 78-70 and Duke wins. Go Duke!

KShip21
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I know some think this game will be a cakewalk (i hope so too), and its not as big as upcoming games, but going into Clemson with a game up on them is HUGE!!! Tonight's a big one, and we need to come out swinging and hitting on all cylinders. Take them out of it early!

Kedsy
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
I may be wrong on this game, but I'm worried that we will have a dog fight on our hands tonight. After a rough game with Wake and a big game at Clemson on Saturday, this could be a team we overlook. I know that Coach K will try to stress this fact and I know we have an experienced team. It could happen. State always plays us well. Especially for 20 or 30 minutes. I hope we come out and put them on their heels(hate that word). Don't give them any added confidence. I look for a tight game. Maybe 78-70 and Duke wins. Go Duke!

I agree. I think we'll win but I anticipate a much tighter game than many people seem to expect.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Never underestimate NC State when they play Duke. The intensity goes back as far as Everett Case. In addition, this year in the ACC is developing as a series of very intense games.

Having two Big Four games the same night is a wonderful reminder of some tournaments of the past.... Dixie Classic and Big Four.

BlueintheFace
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
This has trap game written all over it. I think we might actually have the balance and quality to win in a less than stellar effort though.... still, I don't like the feeling around this game

CDu
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
This has trap game written all over it. I think we might actually have the balance and quality to win in a less than stellar effort though.... still, I don't like the feeling around this game

Yeah, the only way we shouldn't win this by at least 15 is if we fall prey to the "trap game" problem. We have five of the six best players in this game, we have a much better backcourt and a deeper frontcourt, and we have more experience.

Obviously we could lose. Any road game is dangerous, and we're probably a bit banged up from Sunday, and there's always the remote chance that we look past NC State (though with veteran leaders like Scheyer, Singler, Smith, and Thomas and a great leader in Coach K I don't see this being a problem). But aside from that or some flukey performances by State players, we should win this one comfortably.

It will be a good test of the mental toughness of this team to see if they can go into a road environment and handle a team that they absolutely should beat. Hopefully this will be another step in the development process as we hopefully build toward a title contender.

NSDukeFan
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah, the only way we shouldn't win this by at least 15 is if we fall prey to the "trap game" problem. We have five of the six best players in this game, we have a much better backcourt and a deeper frontcourt, and we have more experience.

Obviously we could lose. Any road game is dangerous, and we're probably a bit banged up from Sunday, and there's always the remote chance that we look past NC State (though with veteran leaders like Scheyer, Singler, Smith, and Thomas and a great leader in Coach K I don't see this being a problem). But aside from that or some flukey performances by State players, we should win this one comfortably.

It will be a good test of the mental toughness of this team to see if they can go into a road environment and handle a team that they absolutely should beat. Hopefully this will be another step in the development process as we hopefully build toward a title contender.

I agree that we should win this one easily, but it is a game on the road that many teams would overlook. I expect it to be closer than it should be, but so far this team has done a great job of playing well against lesser opponents as well. The team has not had a terrible performance in any game yet this year and unless they do here, should get a victory.

NYDukie
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
As some have mentioned they are worried, I can also see this as a trap game between Wake and the rematch that will be at Clemson's nuthouse (I mean that affectionately as I know they will be waiting for the Duke team anxiously). Couple the trap theory with some more than usual sore guys (Kyle and Mason come to mind) and you have a potential battle on the road. I think Coach K will use this game as a teaching tool and my guess is Scheyer will reiterate to his teammates that the team has yet to win a true road game and that this is State's mid season "championship" game that could drive them to better things as the season goes and that the Duke team needs to be serious tonight.

IMO a tough battle throughout the first half, up around 5 at half. Then the lead will slowly go to 10 with after the next to last TV timeout at 8 minutes left and the team will hit its FTs down the stretch to win by 10, give or take.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought that the Iowa St. game a couple weeks ago was a trap game for us, but we handled them pretty easily. I don't think NC State is good enough to run with Duke plain and simple. They'll stay in it feeding off of their crowd and adrenaline, but around the 8 minute mark of the 2nd half, I say we pull away and win by around 15. I'd be very surprised if this goes down to the wire.

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I think we're going to win decisively over State, but not for lack of effort on their part. On thing you can clearly see this year: Lowe has his team playing hard, especially on defense, all game. They struggle profoundly on offense at times. Wood could dramatically change that, though he has yet to show that he can consistently score.

Matchups:

Inside: We bring better talent on the whole with the Plumlees picking up their games recently. If they play anything like they did against Wake, this game could turn into a blowout. Tracy Smith is a good player and a workhorse. But he'll be looking up at Zoubs, Plumlee, and Plumlee all game. Horner is a nice player, and a big game from him will help State's cause, because he can be a matchup problem (though Thomas and Mason can stay with him if he floats outside). Howell has been playing better, and could even things up if he plays as well as he did in the second half against Clemson. But his play has been spotty as he learns the college game and recovers from injury. No doubt Lance could shut him down completely.

Perimeter: HUUUUUUUUUUGE advantage for Duke. State has no one to match up with Kyle on the perimeter, and poor Scott Wood may draw that assignment. Ugh...I love Wood, but he has the same body type Dunleavy did his freshman year. He simply doesn't have the physicality to defend Kyle. On the other hand, Kyle has the quickness, strength, and size to shut down Wood. Obviously Smith and Scheyer are much, much better than anything State can offer at the 1-2. Mays, Gonzalez, and Degand have all improved this year, but they just aren't in the same league on either end of the court.

I'm a State fan right after being a Duke fan. Really love Sidney and hope he succeeds. I think he'll have his team ready to play, and they may hang tough for awhile. But this feels like a game that Duke will take control, I suspect by halftime, and State probably doesn't have the horses to come back.

CDu
01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
I think we're going to win decisively over State, but not for lack of effort on their part. On thing you can clearly see this year: Lowe has his team playing hard, especially on defense, all game. They struggle profoundly on offense at times. Wood could dramatically change that, though he has yet to show that he can consistently score.

Matchups:

Inside: We bring better talent on the whole with the Plumlees picking up their games recently. If they play anything like they did against Wake, this game could turn into a blowout. Tracy Smith is a good player and a workhorse. But he'll be looking up at Zoubs, Plumlee, and Plumlee all game. Horner is a nice player, and a big game from him will help State's cause, because he can be a matchup problem (though Thomas and Mason can stay with him if he floats outside). Howell has been playing better, and could even things up if he plays as well as he did in the second half against Clemson. But his play has been spotty as he learns the college game and recovers from injury. No doubt Lance could shut him down completely.

Perimeter: HUUUUUUUUUUGE advantage for Duke. State has no one to match up with Kyle on the perimeter, and poor Scott Wood may draw that assignment. Ugh...I love Wood, but he has the same body type Dunleavy did his freshman year. He simply doesn't have the physicality to defend Kyle. On the other hand, Kyle has the quickness, strength, and size to shut down Wood. Obviously Smith and Scheyer are much, much better than anything State can offer at the 1-2. Mays, Gonzalez, and Degand have all improved this year, but they just aren't in the same league on either end of the court.

I'm a State fan right after being a Duke fan. Really love Sidney and hope he succeeds. I think he'll have his team ready to play, and they may hang tough for awhile. But this feels like a game that Duke will take control, I suspect by halftime, and State probably doesn't have the horses to come back.

I agree with pretty much all of this, with one exception. I'd expect Thomas to go against Smith and not Howell. Howell's bulk and lack of athleticism make him a better matchup for the Plumlees and Zoubek.

But I agree. Singler should have a big advantage against Wood and Williams. Scheyer and Smith should have a big edge against Gonzalez/Degand/Mays. Miles and Zoubek should win the battle against Howell and Vandenburg. Thomas and Mason against Smith and Horner is the only spot on the floor in which I would give the edge to NC State (Smith is the most accomplished of the four right now), and even then I could see our side getting the better of the matchup at the 4.

It'll take a really tough shooting night from us or a complete lack of energy, or an unbelievable scoring performance from one or more of their guys for NC State to have a chance.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Matchups:

Man, you are not kidding. Scott Wood is 6'7 170. That is skinnnny!! I was 165-170 in high school and played high school basketball all 4 years. Im 5'11! Kyle can breathe on him and probably knock him on his butt.

jimhaughton
01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Watching the sports segment on the 11pm news for the local ABC affiliate here in Raleigh, the big topic ofcourse was the Big 4 in action tonight. First was the topic of the Wake-UNC game. There was a segment for Wake interviewing Dino then a segment focusing on UNC followed by an interview with Will Graves. On the topic of State-Duke there was a segment on State about the upcoming game and a brief interview with Lowe. Then the story immediately shifted to the ECU football coaching search. No story focusing on Duke (the top ranked team nationally in the ACC) and no interview with a coach or player. This is typical local media.

Hopefully Duke makes the local station look extremely foolish for the slight.

RayCom doesn't bradcast in my area so I'll be reduced to watching high-lights!

ScreechTDX1847
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
My boss watched an recent NCSU practice for 2 hours and said that they didn't run a single defensive drill. Kind of wierd, huh?

should_be_working
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
ESPN was advertising this game this morning on Sports center as being on ESPN 360. I've never heard them mention a game on 360 on their "what to watch for" segment.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Check your local listings on tv guide. To see if it is on tv in your area. I didn't expect it to be showing in my area but once i checke on tv guide.com i found out it was going to be showing on my20

slower
01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
So this is a Raycom game, not an ESPN game? Who's the broadcast team? Just curious, because ESPN was switching their pro and college teams tonight, at least on the 7PM game. Would absolutely LOVE to hear Van Gundy comment on Roy'd Rage.

Hmm. Looks like we might get G-man/Brando again. If so, let's see if Brando opens his piehole about the intentional foul again. Which I'm almost positive he WILL.

tele
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Maybe this will be the game Dawkins gets it going, and goes off for double figure scoring.

SCMatt33
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
So this is a Raycom game, not an ESPN game? Who's the broadcast team? Just curious, because ESPN was switching their pro and college teams tonight, at least on the 7PM game. Would absolutely LOVE to hear Van Gundy comment on Roy'd Rage.

Hmm. Looks like we might get G-man/Brando again. If so, let's see if Brando opens his piehole about the intentional foul again. Which I'm almost positive he WILL.

ESPN is picking up raycom's coverage for 360 in non-acc areas. If you go to ESPN360, you can see the exact blackout area (most of ACC-country). The NBA guys are doing the Wake-UNC game at 7.

Saratoga2
01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
We came out of the Wake game with Mason bruised, Singler with a sprained wrist (at a minimum), Dawkins looked gimpy and Scheyer also looked at times like he was grimacing. Has there been another update about the health of those players?

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
We came out of the Wake game with Mason bruised, Singler with a sprained wrist (at a minimum), Dawkins looked gimpy and Scheyer also looked at times like he was grimacing. Has there been another update about the health of those players?

They're fine. Twists and bruises won't stop them.

devildownunder
01-20-2010, 07:09 PM

what KyDevilinIL said. That's a big hurdle until we get over it.

BlueintheFace
01-20-2010, 07:19 PM

This isn't Carolina. That information is not necessarily released for a number of reasons

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
RayCom doesn't bradcast in my area so I'll be reduced to watching high-lights!

Channelsurfing.net has almost every single game on a live feed. If you can't find anywhere else try there.

devildownunder
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Channelsurfing.net has almost every single game on a live feed. If you can't find anywhere else try there.

and you can also visit myp2p.eu, under the Live Sports tab. that portal has bit rates and user ratings.

Cameron
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I checked justin.tv. No luck.

I'll give ajgood's recommendation a try. I'm concerned about not seeing this for three reasons. 1) I fear that NC State is going to draw the world beater card tonight and play lights out. This almost always happens in our late January, early February games that are only available per online feeds or Raycom. We don't have many of these types of games considering ESPN is our home network, but at Miami in '08 (the Nightmare in Coral Gables), Miami and Florida State at home last season (both lost by three after world beating efforts) and Florida State at home in '06 (we did win, but FSU took us to the wire at home JJ's senior year, coming up short by one). Kind of strange how this seems to happen.

2) I just know since I won't be watching that my boy, Andre, is going to go off for about 50. Always happens. The only other game I didn't get to see this season? Dre hits six from triple. Dang, Dre.

3) My DVD remote is going to need fed some baby heroin tonight to stave off withdrawal from recording.

moonpie23
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
at the rbc now. ready to watch the fracas. :)

Cameron
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Envy you.

Cheer loud!

Cockabeau
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Are you really jay Bilas?

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I checked justin.tv. No luck.

I'll give ajgood's recommendation a try. I'm concerned about not seeing this for three reasons. 1) I fear that NC State is going to draw the world beater card tonight and play lights out. This almost always happens in our late January, early February games that are only available per online feeds or Raycom. We don't have many of these types of games considering ESPN is our home network, but at Miami in '08 (the Nightmare in Coral Gables), Miami and Florida State at home last season (both lost by three after world beating efforts) and Florida State at home in '06 (we did win, but FSU took us to the wire at home JJ's senior year, coming up short by one). Kind of strange how this seems to happen.

2) I just know since I won't be watching that my boy, Andre, is going to go off for about 50. Always happens. The only other game I didn't get to see this season? Dre hits six from triple. Dang, Dre.

3) My DVD remote is going to need fed some baby heroin tonight to stave off withdrawal from recording.

Don't give up... that Channelsurfing.net works for me because I watch baseball on it all the time. As of now there is supposed to be a live feed of the Duke game so I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lot of times they black out the commercials so if your screen goes black during timeouts it will start back up after the break. And it may be like 1 minute or so behind realtime.

Cameron
01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Don't give up... that Channelsurfing.net works for me because I watch baseball on it all the time. As of now there is supposed to be a live feed of the Duke game so I don't see why it wouldn't work. A lot of times they black out the commercials so if your screen goes black during timeouts it will start back up after the break. And it may be like 1 minute or so behind realtime.

Just found it. Thanks. It looks like it will work. As a tune up, I'm watching Xavier-Temple there right now (even though it's on The U).

I thought about just getting the ESPN Full Court plan since the NC State game is on there tonight. I did this last year since we had three games on that package, including Greg's Senior Night game against the Seminoles. But since this is the only Duke game on Full Court this season, and I've incredibly busy recently, it just doesn't make sense.

FireOgilvie
01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Anyone else hear the commentator talking and humming to himself on the Raycom online feed? He doesn't know the online feed is still on and we can hear everything he says. It's pretty hilarious.

Cameron
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Are you really Jay Bilas?

Yes.

slower
01-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Brando and Bonner are the broadcast team. A double dose of stupid.

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
And now, after watching the pastel blue getting plastered at home by a team we just dominated, it's time for the main event...

jv001
01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Coach K not very happy with Miles and Lance it seems. Go Duke!

riverside6
01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
for those interested in our tempo-based stats, here is the duke/nc state game...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHdGame.asp?hSchedule=3777

CDu
01-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Mason is not afraid to commit dumb fouls in volume. Two touch fouls on jumpshooters from behind.

His brother is also not afraid to commit dumb fouls. DON'T FOUL JUMPSHOOTERS!

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
All hope is lost :cool:

Oriole Way
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
What exactly happened on that Dawkins turnover along the baseline?

Greg_Newton
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
We look awful. Not that surprising, as we never really show up against NCSU, but still...

ChrisP
01-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Could we brick a few MORE 3's? Jeez, I am SO ready for a decent shooting night. Ugh..

Faison1
01-20-2010, 09:37 PM
That Channelsurfing.net is pretty cool. I tried the same thing on Raycom, and it sucked.....everything about Raycom is BUDGET if you ask me....

ChrisP
01-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Ugh, we can't shoot and a lesser team is playing out of there friggin' MIND. Not a scenario I like...

jipops
01-20-2010, 09:39 PM
We are truly dreadful on the road. If we can't get a win on the road here where could it possibly happen?

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, honestly. 5-0 run to get it some back, but something has to give.

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
That Channelsurfing.net is pretty cool. I tried the same thing on Raycom, and it sucked.....everything about Raycom is BUDGET if you ask me....

Yeah I found out about it sometime last march... I guess I should have posted it earlier but I didn't think about it. I'd say anytime you are looking for any kind of major sports event, 9 out of 10 times someone will have a feed of it on that site.

proelitedota
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
We are truly dreadful on the road. If we can't get a win on the road here where could it possibly happen?

I'll be happy if we win all home and neutral games, but lose all road games this year. :cool:

Lord Ash
01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Not sure if channelsurfing is working for you, but this link is good:

http://www.justin.tv/thebestsportschannel#r=3JpKCNk

Love how K let them play down by 10, and we whittled it back... no panic.

Faison1
Play like this on Saturday, and we will be down by 20 to Clemson at this point

ajgoodfella7

Its just weird because it seems like they can't hit open shots in ACC play this year. Early in the season they would have those games where they would light it up. But as of late they just can't knock down open jumpers. At least we are much better prepared to handle droughts like that this year as opposed to the past few seasons.

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 09:46 PM
These last four minutes are important for both squads. After playing an inspired first half, State might have trouble recovering were Duke to make a little run and tie it up/take the lead. Let's see if Duke comes out with a bit more fire from this time out.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah I found out about it sometime last march... I guess I should have posted it earlier but I didn't think about it. I'd say anytime you are looking for any kind of major sports event, 9 out of 10 times someone will have a feed of it on that site.

Why is it at everytime I try it, it is so delayed it's not even worth trying to watch? It pauses every 5 seconds.

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Why is it at everytime I try it, it is so delayed it's not even worth trying to watch? It pauses every 5 seconds.

I'm not sure but I've been watching this game and it hasn't even froze once. Sometimes when I watched a few NFL games earlier in the year it would do that though.

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Play like this on Saturday, and we will be down by 20 to Clemson at this point

State lost to Clemson by 2. They may be 1-3 in the ACC, but they could just as easily be 3-1. You've got to start giving them some respect. They play tough D and are starting to develop some offensive identity.

RaineyDevil
01-20-2010, 09:50 PM
is atrocious

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Coach K gonna draw up a play to try to get 2 possessions to State's 1 for the rest of the half. Good idea. Hopefully we can trim it.

RaineyDevil
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
NOLLLLANNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was awesome

davekay1971
Holy CRAP what a shot by Nolan!

ajgoodfella7
I wish Singler would stop trying to force the ball into the paint and turning it over or taking contested jumpers. And WOW that Nolan Smith shot was huge.

Oriole Way
01-20-2010, 09:55 PM
What a shot by Nolan!

Good to see Singler posting up so much, but he needs to make better decisions with his passes on the drive.

I really doubt NC State will shoot anywhere near as well in the second half as they just did in the first. The question is will Duke start shooting better and taking better care of the ball. I think they will.

soccerstud2210
what is wrong with our D???

state shooting 64% FG and 60% three point

Duke79UNLV77
uncontested layups, poor help rotation, uncontested jump shots. really bad.

DevilHorns
01-20-2010, 09:56 PM
if we are having clearly one of our ugliest first halfs this year, im glad its against NC state.

lets see what the second half brings. im confident its going to be a focused and determined effort.

SeattleIrish
Amazing shot! It looked like he may have had time to set quickly, but it was certainly an outstanding shot!

s.i.

karmacoma
These last four minutes are important for both squads. After playing an inspired first half, State might have trouble recovering were Duke to make a little run and tie it up/take the lead. Let's see if Duke comes out with a bit more fire from this time out.

Momentum! Not quite a tie/lead, but that last shot had to do a little psychological damage to the home team. State's played great, we've played poorly -- but they're only up three. Will they tighten up knowing their 2nd half margin for error is so slight?

ArtVandelay
01-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Is NC State normally this good? These guys can't miss in the first half. Some of those were tough tough shots that they hit.

smvalkyries
In LA no live feeds- how do we have 9 TO's at halftime?
How are we letting State shoot 67%- are they that hot or are we just not playing any D.
Opinion by anyone watching would be appreciated.
I am beginning to wonder if we can play away from CIS at all??

slower
I wish Singler would stop trying to force the ball into the paint and turning it over or taking contested jumpers.

Kyle's playing a good game scoring inside, though.

Faison1
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
State lost to Clemson by 2. They may be 1-3 in the ACC, but they could just as easily be 3-1. You've got to start giving them some respect. They play tough D and are starting to develop some offensive identity.

I'm not disrespecting State one bit. I am a fan of theirs. But the style of play that Clemson employs during first halves can absolutely grind teams if they can't break a press.....that's why I think we'll be down by 20 if we play poorly.....

roywhite
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
what is wrong with our D???

state shooting 64% FG and 60% three point

We're fortunate not be down by 12-15 points.

I think State cools off, and Duke wins by a few. It's a struggle.

gwwilburn
01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
I kind of expected this. The last three times we have played State, they have lead at the half. In those games, Duke won, twice by double digits. It's the so called curse that State fans talk about. Ahead at the half only to pull of a choke, or "snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Nolan's kept us alive with his offense.

Singler has absolutely shut down Wood. That's just no contest there.

Smith is way too powerful for Lance. Miles is going to have to step up on that one...if he can avoid the fouls.

cbfx3
01-20-2010, 10:00 PM
State always plays like world beaters every time they play us... then like let elon beat them

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
How are we letting State shoot 67%- are they that hot or are we just not playing any D.

Poor rotations, but credit to State -- they've shot very, very well, and they've moved the ball around pretty effectively. They've gotta cool off...right?

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not disrespecting State one bit. I am a fan of theirs. But the style of play that Clemson employs during first halves can absolutely grind teams if they can't break a press.....that's why I think we'll be down by 20 if we play poorly.....

Ah, I agree with that analysis. Our ball control has been pretty poor and, if we're that careless against Clemson, we would be down big. Agree completely!

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Kyle's playing a good game scoring inside, though.

I agree he is having a very good game scoring, and I admit I'm just nitpicking. I just don't like when he dribbles the ball into triple teams when ball handling is not his best trait. But I agree for the most part he has had a good first half.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
For everyone talking about Nc State has too cool off in the second half, i should just remind you this is the same thing you people were saying in the Wisconsin game. Smh Let's just hope Duke can play better in the second half.

smvalkyries
01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Karma- I assume then that it is correctable- at least 50% our bad defense with a little good shooting by State. This is the first game I haven't been able to see somewhere- got justin on now maybe i'll get the second half ? but I'm not sure

RaineyDevil
01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
there's a reason they have 1 offensive rebound...they are shooting from point blank and not missing many J's

OTOH, if we could convert our offensive boards, this would be a lot different game. I say we turn it around in the second half and win by 8. GO DEVILS GO

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Poor rotations, but credit to State -- they've shot very, very well, and they've moved the ball around pretty effectively. They've gotta cool off...right?

Lets hope so... I have a feeling we shouldn't expect a lot of offense from the Plumlee brothers in the 2nd half because its going to take a lot of their efforts to keep Tracy Smith in check and stay out of foul trouble at the same time. Hopefully our fast break continues to give us easy looks in the 2nd half to take some pressure off our half court game.

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
For everyone talking about Nc State has too cool off in the second half, i should just remind you this is the same thing you people were saying in the Wisconsin game. Smh Let's just hope Duke can play better in the second half.

I'm not suggesting Duke phones-it-in on defense in the second half. We definitely need to play better, and smarter (please, no more dumb fouls on jump shots), on the defensive end. That being said, State hit everything in the first half, and it would be pretty astonishing if they could duplicate 64% from the floor. Go Duke!

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Hmmm. Not a great start.

Duke79UNLV77
01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
ughh

ChrisP
Our D is absolutely ridiculous! At this rate, I think they will top their 64% shooting from the 1st half!!!

dairedevil
What's wrong with the D?

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow, this is looking miserable. No fire on the defensive end.

devildownunder
Tracy Smith is wearing us out. I assume K called this timeout to reset the defense on him. Otherwise, he's on his way to 40.

Faison1
Bummer....

I get so frustrated with Zoobs and Lance sometimes.....let's hope they can turn it around.....

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm telling you. It's the Red Jacket. Somebody buy K a bright Duke Blue Jacket already!

AlaskanAssassin
Why didn't MP1 start the half?

Duke79UNLV77
i wouldn't be too optimistic come march

ajgoodfella7
State has to have 35 points in the paint tonight. Horner and Smith are killing us right now.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not suggesting Duke phones-it-in on defense in the second half. We definitely need to play better, and smarter (please, no more dumb fouls on jump shots), on the defensive end. That being said, State hit everything in the first half, and it would be pretty astonishing if they could duplicate 64% from the floor. Go Duke!

You spoke a little too soon my friend.

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
State has to have 35 points in the paint tonight. Horner and Smith are killing us right now.

Thought a halftime adjustment like what was done v. BC would have been made to shut down the interior. Disappointed.

Oriole Way
01-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Is Miles injured?

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
You spoke a little too soon my friend.

Tell me about it! LOL. It ain't over yet, but we need an answer -- fast.

SilkyJ
01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Bummer....

I get so frustrated with Zoobs and Lance sometimes.....let's hope they can turn it around.....

PTP. Play The Plumlees.

Our ceiling is much higher with them.

arnie
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Our defense agains quick teams may be our achilles heel. As bad a defensive effort as I've seen in a while.

1999ballboy
Is Miles injured?

Coach K must have some reason for not playing him, but I don't like not seeing him out there, especially after what he did against Wake. Don't know why we're messing around with Ryan Kelly at a time like this.

Welcome2DaSlopes
Tell me about it! LOL. It ain't over yet, but we need an answer -- fast.

Yes we do, Nolan is doing his thing but we need someone else to step up with scoring and someone to stop Tracy Smith who is looking like a man among boys this game.

ajgoodfella7
Something must be wrong with Miles because even Kelly is getting minutes and Miles hasn't seen the floor in like 15-20 minutes of game time.

KShip21
i wouldn't be too optimistic come march

Luckily the tourneys are neutral sites! All joking aside. I agree with you right now. Tonight is dissapointing. Tough to watch right now

House G
Not that Zoubek is stopping anyone down low, but why is he ever guarding his man 20 feet from the basket?

slower
Finish, for god's sake!!!!!!

PSurprise
Zoubek! You're 7 feet tall. Dunk the ball!!!!!

ChrisP
01-20-2010, 10:23 PM
OMG, can Z be ANY slower to the rim? I swear, every time I think he's got an easy one, he manages to stumble and triple fake his way to a difficult shot.

NYDukie
Is it me or does Zoubs fall Smith's head fake every time?

And what concerns me a bit going forward in the season is when the team faces opponents with quick and effective piont guards. Not that Gonzalez is going off by any means but he is causing some problems.

Again, like I mentioned earlier, a perfect trap game b/w the big Wake win and anticipated rematch at Clemson coming up Saturday.

Duke79UNLV77
but, at least he's doing something.

RockyMtDevil
01-20-2010, 10:24 PM
This is a really bad State team and they are looking like rock stars against us. They will not finish above 500 in the league. About to go to 3-2 with another really bad showing on the road. It's easy to win at home, talent wins on the road.

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Man, NC State is putting on a clinic in their half court offense. Duke is gonna need to quit helping on the penetration if they have any chance to stop these easy layups.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
They just don't miss. While we can't seem to make a shot

ChrisP
01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I hate to be negative but...this is just one of those games where we don't seem to have "it". State is playing great - gotta give them lots of credit, but we simply cannot do anything right. Can't shoot, can't rebound, can't play D. This one could get REAL ugly (like it's not already, right?)

AlaskanAssassin
01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
It's like Wisconsin all over again! ugh

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
This sucks. We are getting are butts handed to us by State. Simply embaressing. Coach K better ream them in practice the rest of this week. Totally unacceptable.

NYDukie
Getting uglyyyyyyyy

soccerstud2210
this is just simply embarrassing.

Welcome2DaSlopes
This sucks. We are getting are butts handed to us by State. Simply embaressing. Coach K better ream them in practice the rest of this week. Totally unacceptable.

C'mon games not over yet.

slower
01-20-2010, 10:29 PM
NOT looking good...unless we can get Smith out on fouls. Kyle continues to not shoot worth a crap. On a side note, I noticed that one of the mock drafts has moved Kyle back to the 2011 draft.

Just looked at season stats and Kyle's only shooting 40% for the year? He needs to go back inside and post up his man.

ChicagoCrazy84
Now were gonna hear it from State fans the rest of the week. Arrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

karmacoma
Luckily the tourneys are neutral sites! All joking aside. I agree with you right now. Tonight is dissapointing. Tough to watch right now

"Disappointing" is rapidly become "embarrassing." Just awful execution on both ends of the floor.

IBleedBlue
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Is state going to miss any of the jumpers? It seems like everything they throw up is going in...

Oriole Way
Singler needs to stop shooting perimeter jumpers, and go back to posting up.

It looks grim, but we can make a comeback if we start NOW. Would like to see Dawkins get a chance to shoot us back in the game like he did against Wisconsin, it's better than what we have going on right now.

superdave
We need to just attack the rim and foul out their front line.

Otherwise, I dont see it.

KShip21
Good night folks. Let's hope something changes in the next 72 hours or it may be dejavu at littlejohn

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
NOT looking good...unless we can get Smith out on fouls. Kyle continues to not shoot worth a crap. On a side note, I noticed that one of the mock drafts has moved Kyle back to the 2011 draft.

He keeps shooting like he has been the last few weeks, I'd rather take my chances with Terrence Ross. Honestly.

_Gary
I hate to be negative but...this is just one of those games where we don't seem to have "it". State is playing great - gotta give them lots of credit, but we simply cannot do anything right. Can't shoot, can't rebound, can't play D. This one could get REAL ugly (like it's not already, right?)

Yep to all that. The one decent thing we are doing is offensive rebounding, but the only reason we are even having opportunities at them is because we are shooting so bad. And we aren't really converting that many of the second chances either. Overall, this is easily the worst showing from Duke all year long. Still got 12 minutes to turn it around, but shots have got to start falling soon for that to happen.

devildownunder
Offensively, we're producing about as efficiently as we have for the year but ou defense is just not getting it done tonight. State is hitting nearly all its open shots but MAN are they getting a lot of open shots!

NYDukie
01-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Not to over analyze but this is where I think we see what this team is made of? A championship level team just doesn't get embarrassed at State. At UNC, Clemson or top level out of conference on the road but not State, even if at State. If that is what this team strives for, they will make this a game and either win it at the end or have a shot and just come up short at the end.

Duke79UNLV77
Is state going to miss any of the jumpers? It seems like everything they throw up is going in...

I don't chalk this up to State shooting out of their minds. They've executed their offense well, and our defense has been embarassingly atrocious. Give any team layups and uncontested jumpers and they'll hit a good percentage. We need to see some fire and emotion from our leaders.

I want the Plumlees in together.

ajgoodfella7
We are killing State on the glass 26-14 and 13-1 Off Rb but they are just getting way too many easy looks. They are shooting 67% because most of their shots are from 3 feet away.

slower
01-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Good night folks. Let's hope something changes in the next 72 hours or it may be dejavu at littlejohn

Don't want to think about Georgetown, either.

soccerstud2210
01-20-2010, 10:33 PM
JS can't even make a free throw!

RockyMtDevil
01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
NBA level talent wins these type games, we don't have it and won't this year. Great example of how this team is at the same level or worse than last years team. A Sweet 16 appearance would be a god-send at this point.

PSurprise
01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Man, Singler's a turnover machine tonight...

_Gary
01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Jon has missed a lot of those floaters he usually hits. No one seems to be in a rhythm.

House G
01-20-2010, 10:35 PM
We have hit the panic button.

BulldogDancer81
01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
We can't buys a basket! Any joy I had because of the UNC loss will be greatly diminished if Duke loses this game.

fgb
can't watch the game from where i am, but boy, does it sound bad, and in a more than just one game sort of way. it's hard to really care about what the team might learn from this (assuming we do lose); point is, this state team is a really bad team, and really good teams simply do not lose to really bad teams.

Welcome2DaSlopes
This ruins the whole day for me tomorrow.

Lulu
01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
It looks like we're just screwing around on the playground

RockyMtDevil
Don't lose by double digits to a pathetic State team....Name one player they have that will EVER play professionally, and I mean in Australia.

Exposed.

soccerstud2210
We can't buys a basket! Any joy I had because of the UNC loss will be greatly diminished if Duke loses this game.

i dont think that is the right word. when is probably a better word.

as much as i hate to say it. but this is just poor. tonight is just not "IT"

karmacoma
Wow, what's left to say.

Duke79UNLV77
01-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm really seeing a lack of hear with this defensive effort. Poor communication, no rotating. Seen very few times with Duke teams over the years. This game isn't about going cold from 3s. It's a about a pathetic effort, plain and simple.

NYDukie
Ok, take a deep breath, and breatthhhhhhhhhh...LOL

There are positves things to come from all this, if not tonight, then later in the year.

slower
Wow, what's left to say.

I think "good night" covers it for me.

Oriole Way
I just hope this is the wake up call for K to significantly change his rotation.

Coballs
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Singler has regressed.

Not looking forward to the road games at Clemson, Georgetown, Carolina, and Maryland.

Duvall
01-20-2010, 10:39 PM
I just hope this is the wake up call for K to significantly change his rotation.

Do what? Players that don't exist?

ChicagoCrazy84
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Amen to that.

IBleedBlue
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
This is our third road game and we dont seem to be in sync. We got to get things together before we go to clemson. Their full court press will tear us apart if we keep playing like this...

soccerstud2210
01-20-2010, 10:41 PM

what change would you make???

Oriole Way
Do what? Players that don't exist?

Lance Thomas getting sent to the bench and having his minutes cut in half would be a great start. (Near) Doubling Dawkins' and Kelly's minutes would be an even better move. Moving Mason into the starting lineup, and playing both Plumlee's at the same time as much as possible might be the best move of all.

ajgoodfella7
Lost in all this is what has happened with Miles Plumlee? Something must be wrong because he only has 2 PF's and hasn't stepped on the court the entire half.

Duke79UNLV77
Ok, take a deep breath, and breatthhhhhhhhhh...LOL

There are positves things to come from all this, if not tonight, then later in the year.

Sure, Candide.

karmacoma
I think "good night" covers it for me.

Maybe just "night." The "good" part ended around 9:05 p.m.

Duvall

How awful for you.

ice-9
01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
I only started watching this at the second half.

Is Miles injured? I don't think I've seen him on the court yet...

uh_no
playing both Plumlee's at the same time as much as possible might be the best move of all.

I don't understand why he hasn't even given this a try tonight....we've tried everything else...and its all failed....coulnd't be worse

NYDukie
Something tells me that this team thought this would be a cake walk since they were feeling good after their 20 point win over Wake and just look ahead to Clemson and think nothing of State. That's with Coach K and the staff probably saying over and over not to take this game for granted. Sometimes, and you can take this as an excuse, kids just think what they want to think and they thought nothing of State and got caught, big time!

darkblue2769
While it is kind of entertaining to see how much everybody flips out at these games (don't get me wrong, I'm pissed too), I really wish we wouldn't completely dismiss this game (or, for some of us, this team) with this much time left. Stick with it. That's what we expect from our players, so let's do it ourselves.

KShip21
How aboutwr get it to Nolan??

dukebluelemur
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
What is this 'pick' and 'roll' i keep hearing about?

And 'wide-open-freakin'-dunks-in-the-half-court'.

Practices are not going to be fun for a while. Though i would blame the short time off since that rugby match against wake for a lot of the lack of energy/legs for shooting.

uh_no
While it is kind of entertaining to see how much everybody flips out at these games (don't get me wrong, I'm pissed too), I really wish we wouldn't completely dismiss this game (or, for some of us, this team) with this much time left. Stick with it. That's what we expect from our players, so let's do it ourselves.

1 game is a fluke....but three road games, three losses is not a fluke

ChrisP
Ok, so, we cut it 12, they miss a three and then the ONE State player under the board gets the rebound in front of THREE duke players. We cannot win this game - even if we get hot shooting it, we simply can't get enough stops to catch up.

Oriole Way
I don't understand why he hasn't even given this a try tonight....we've tried everything else...and its all failed....coulnd't be worse

What's more perplexing is that the Plumlees were reason 1A and 1b for the Wake Forest win, and they looked awesome together. Unless Miles in injured, it's rotation problems by K and I've been saying this for weeks.

NYDukie
01-20-2010, 10:45 PM

You're probably right but they are just making it so hard this game, especially this half.

Mcluhan
Comeback starts now...

Duvall
Lance Thomas getting sent to the bench and having his minutes cut in half would be a great start. (Near) Doubling Dawkins' and Kelly's minutes would be an even better move. Moving Mason into the starting lineup, and playing both Plumlee's at the same time as much as possible might be the best move of all.

Those guys got minutes. They did crap. The rotation is not the problem.

uh_no
01-20-2010, 10:46 PM
What's more perplexing is that the Plumlees were reason 1A and 1b for the Wake Forest win, and they looked awesome together. Unless Miles in injured, it's rotation problems by K and I've been saying this for weeks.

they've barely played.....in favor of zoubek, who even though he has been a rebounding machine, has let his guy slip by about 5 times tonight

EDIT: I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT ZOUBS.....

CAT Blue Devil
01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Looks like State is getting tight.... can you say regression to the mean?

SilkyJ
01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
why are you diving lance?!?!?

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Huge basket by Zoubek there... need a few more stops.

soccerstud2210
why are you diving lance?!?!?

hahahaha i mean i love the hustle. but so over the top and not needed. just walk to the ball and pick it up!

_Gary

I'm in between on this one. I like Z's hustle tonight and think he's earned minutes within this game, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not puzzled at Miles lack of minutes this evening. I'd like to have seen more of him.

Lulu
I don't see our guys caring that much that they're losing... and I don't think it's because they're so confident they're going to come back. I really don't remember seeing any Duke teams react with such indifference when they turn the ball over, give up an easy basket, take a bad shot, fail to rebound, etc.

I also can't figure out why Thomas just dove on the floor for that ball he could have picked up.

This better turn around quick

uh_no
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
i'm pretty sure they care about losing.....

CAT Blue Devil
Guess it is all upper classmen tonight.

NYDukie
Wowwwww...Zoubs catches the pass with one hand and gets the layup all in one motion...am I dreamin???

darkblue2769
I'm not saying that this game hasn't been going terribly, or that it's a "fluke," I'm just saying to have a little faith in our team.

uh_no
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm not saying that this game hasn't been going terribly, or that it's a "fluke," I'm just saying to have a little faith in our team.

I'll have faith when they play like they do at home.....but in a road game

_Gary
01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Jon's put up some bad shots tonight. Oh, and we can't seem to get to enough lose balls either. But in spite of all that we are within striking distance.

ajgoodfella7
I guess P1 is fine... not sure what his lack of minutes is all about tonight.

SilkyJ
i mean the refs have been questionable all game, but what the hell is that? im watching on blurry ESPN 360 and it was clearly off gonzalez's leg

Oriole Way
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
i mean the refs have been questionable all game, but what the hell is that?

We have to expect calls to go against us on the road.

House G
Where is Jason Williams?

Coballs
That's it. Game over.

_Gary
Uncle.

ChrisP
01-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Stick a fork in us - when a guy hits a shot like Gonzalez just did..it is not your night

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Well that ridiculous shot was the dagger I think.

RockyMtDevil
01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
"Jason Williams, Shane Battier and Carlos Boozer aren't walking in those doors people".

Yeah, well, how about 3 straight losses...

dw0827
I suspect that MP1's lack of playing time directly correlates to his lack of playing defense in the 1st half.

SilkyJ
i give up. good night dbr.

Lulu
I guess that makes us even for Smith's halftime shot

NYDukie
After a shot like, it's just not in the cards tonight...next play

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I just had to laugh at that shot. I'm really speechless right now. Maybe Dre can come in a drop 5 straight three's on at least four turnovers. Right?(don't bother answering)

Oriole Way
Yeah that should be it, but I would still like to see us start fouling their worst free throw shooters and making them hit from the line, starting now. Extend the game as much as possible. Insert Dawkins, bomb some threes, mix in a couple of Nolan drives to the rim, and see what happens.

karmacoma
Encouraged by our late effort, but that's the exclamation point. Great game by State, let's give credit where credit is due.

CAT Blue Devil
wow.... got to tip your hat at that shot.

Kfanarmy
weird to see a Duke team without any outside shooting...I know the focus has changed, but WOW

Tim1515
01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
I just had to laugh at that shot. I'm really speechless right now. Maybe Dre can come in a drop 5 straight three's on at least four turnovers. Right?(don't bother answering)

when was the last time Andre hit a 3?

Coballs
"Jason Williams, Shane Battier and Carlos Boozer aren't walking in those doors people".

Yeah, well, how about 3 straight losses...

What 3 straight losses? Maybe 3 of 4, but they will probably beat FSU in Durham

soccerstud2210
...not looking forward to saturday....

Oriole Way
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM

I think it was the last time he saw more than 3 uninterrupted minutes on the floor, which was against Wisconsin.

_Gary
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
What 3 straight losses? Maybe 3 of 4, but they will probably beat FSU in Durham

He might mean that we've had 3 true road games this year, and we are looking at 3 losses.

karmacoma
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM

At least four games ago. Obviously a lot of that is lack of playing time, but until he stops looking so lost defensively, he won't get much more playing time.

Lulu
01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
man, how many rebounds have we bobbled tonight?

PSurprise
01-20-2010, 11:01 PM
man, how many rebounds have we bobbled tonight?

About the usual...

Oriole Way
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't understand the rationale for defending for 35 seconds when there's less than 3 minutes to go and you're down 9. Just foul Gonzalez and take your chances from there.

weezie
01-20-2010, 11:04 PM
For once, I'm glad I don't live in NC.

Duke79UNLV77
01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
as much as i love him, i think that we've seen over the last 4 years that scheyer struggles to finish against athletic guards. see, e.g., nova game.

ajgoodfella7
01-20-2010, 11:06 PM
NC State's starting 3-4-5 outscored ours 56-27 tonight.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Now i'm done

PSurprise
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Now i'm done

Me too, but it's like a train wreck

dukebluelemur
At least four games ago. Obviously a lot of that is lack of playing time, but until he stops looking so lost defensively, he won't get much more playing time.

Why not?

Everyone else looked lost on defense today... might as well put in some offense.

Oriole Way

It is, trust me. I think (and hope) that you will see adjustments in the rotation going forward, and Duke will be better as a result. But this season and last season, K has demonstrated that he needs to lose handily before making changes.

DukeDevil
You know it's bad when even the 60% free throw shooter is 4/4

Coballs
I can't think of any positives to be taken away from this game. This was just a completely horrible performance. Unfortunately, a more daunting game awaits.

weezie
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Is this a no shower get on the bus silence kind of night?

KShip21
01-20-2010, 11:10 PM
An absolute disaster. There are absolutely no positives to take from this.

Delaware
01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
are they rushing the floor?

DevilHorns
Good win by State. We pretty much played as bad as we could and were in the game until the end (and they obviously played lights out).

Im sure this win will really help them get in the tourney.

Hopefully the good guys really learn from this loss, and bring on the pain at LittleJohn. Im sure we will be ready.

dairedevil
and another rush the court.....how many times will they see that this year?

jipops
and another rush the court.....how many times will they see that this year?

About 7 more times in conference it's looking like. Maybe one more out of conference.

We're staring straight at a possible 8-8 conference finish. This is embarrassing. Where are the road wins going to come from?

Masticatee
01-20-2010, 11:12 PM
At least Carolina lost...

-bdbd
01-20-2010, 11:12 PM
This was just an awful performance. Any NCSU was playing mostly out of their minds. That State three with 1 on the shot clock and around 6 min to go - with the lead down to 8 - that was killer. And total luck. NCSU just wanted it more.

I just hope this result lights a fire for us, like Clemson did last year...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

CLW
01-20-2010, 11:13 PM
This team is just off right now. I don't know if they are worn down or hurt but they just "don't look right" and haven't looked right for the larger part of this month. The road troubles worry me as well.

Coballs
Good win by State. We pretty much played as bad as we could and were in the game until the end (and they obviously played lights out).

Im sure this win will really help them get in the tourney.

Hopefully the good guys really learn from this loss, and bring on the pain at LittleJohn. Im sure we will be ready.

I wish I shared your optimism. Where does it come from?

Genedoc
An absolute disaster. There are absolutely no positives to take from this.

I disagree. It will be cool to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for laying the egg that was used to make the world's largest omelette.

devildownunder
well, this team just can't give up 90 points and expect to win. To paraphrase Admiral Ackbar, we can't repel firepower of that magnitude. I don't think our defense will be as bad the rest of the season as it was tonight, no matter what. But if we're going to be really good, a total commitment to team defense is necessary. Maybe the relatively easy wins at home the last couple of times out has made everyone forget that. Nothing to get you refocused like an embarrassing loss, so there's your positive from tonight.