PDA

View Full Version : Free Throw Shooter(s)

Hancock 4 Duke
01-19-2010, 07:29 PM
OK, I noticed at the Wake game, when a technical was called on someone (I can't recall), Coach K chose Miles to shoot the two shots. I was baffled why he didn't have his best free throw shooter, Scheyer take the shots. Just to double check my self, I went to the stats and Scheyer definitely has a better free throw percentage. Can someone explain to me why Coach K made this decision?

SCMatt33
01-19-2010, 07:33 PM
OK, I noticed at the Wake game, when a technical was called on someone (I can't recall), Coach K chose Miles to shoot the two shots. I was baffled why he didn't have his best free throw shooter, Scheyer take the shots. Just to double check my self, I went to the stats and Scheyer definitely has a better free throw percentage. Can someone explain to me why Coach K made this decision?

It was an intentional foul. Mason would have had to shoot but was hurt. The new rule this year is that in case of injury, the opposing coach can choose from the remaining players on the court. The exception is for a flagrant foul, in which the old rule of the fouled player's coach choosing from anyone on the team remains.

airowe
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Media+and+Events/Press+Room/News+Release+Archive/2009/Playing+Rules/20090506+M+W+Basketball+Rules+Rls

The men’s committee also approved a proposal dealing with a free throw shooter that is injured. In the proposal, if a student-athlete is fouled (without the foul being flagrant or intentional) and unable to attempt the free throws, the opposing coach will choose the player to attempt the free throws from the four remaining players on the court.

“This rule change is intended to eliminate a team that is fouled from gaining an advantage that it does not deserve,” said Hack. “We believe this is a solid proposal that will not unduly penalize the team that was fouled.”

jwillrockyou
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
i'm pretty sure i am right on this... it wasn't a technical; it was an intentional foul. the difference is normally that with a technical, k would get to choose any player (normally scheyer), and with an intentional, the player who was actually fouled takes the shots. however, because mason was hurt and couldn't shoot the free throws, the opposing coach gets to pick any player from the opposing team who was on the court to shoot. hence miles shooting.
hope this helps!

gwwilburn
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
The call was the intentional personal foul on Ish Smith. Mason Plumlee, who was fouled and supposed to shoot, was injured on the play. Thus, accordant to the rules, Dino Gaudio could choose any one of the four other players on the court to take the shots in place of Mason. He chose Miles.

SCMatt33
01-19-2010, 07:41 PM
The men’s committee also approved a proposal dealing with a free throw shooter that is injured. In the proposal, if a student-athlete is fouled (without the foul being flagrant or intentional) and unable to attempt the free throws, the opposing coach will choose the player to attempt the free throws from the four remaining players on the court.

Now that I look at it again, based on this (which was a press release and not the official rulebook), shouldn't Coach K have had his choice since intentional is given as an exception?

Kedsy
01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Media+and+Events/Press+Room/News+Release+Archive/2009/Playing+Rules/20090506+M+W+Basketball+Rules+Rls

Anyone else think it's funny that the spokesperson for this issue is named "Hack"?

Jderf
01-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Anyone else think it's funny that the spokesperson for this issue is named "Hack"?

Haha yea, that is exactly what I thought when I saw it.

- jderf

grad_devil
01-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Now that I look at it again, based on this (which was a press release and not the official rulebook), shouldn't Coach K have had his choice since intentional is given as an exception?

You're exactly right, in this case. I actually posted a reply to Jumbo in this post (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=352615#post352615) earlier, where I didn't read the flagrant/intentional exception. The rule, in its entirety, reads:

Injured Free Throw Shooter. 8-2.3 When a player is injured and is unable to attempt his free throw attempt(s), the coach from the opposing team shall select one of the four remaining players on the playing court to attempt the free throw(s). When the foul is intentional or flagrant and the injured player is unable to attempt the free throw(s), the injured player’s coach shall select any player or team member to attempt the free throw attempt(s)

So yes, in this case, K, as the injured player's coach, should have picked Mason's replacement at the line. Did he? It seemed like the refs were asking gaudio which of the 4 (I remember valentine or someone holding up 4 fingers. 4 fouls? Or pick from the 4 players? Who knows.) he wanted to shoot the free throw. Anyone else have any info about this?

Mea culpa to Jumbo for posting only a partial reply earlier. RTFM, eh?

--grad_devil