PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Wake Forest 82, UNC-CH 69

DukeUsul
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
UNC May Face Wake Without Davis (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6839405/)

Duvall
01-19-2010, 04:37 PM
UNC May Face Wake Without Davis (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/6839405/)

Davis goes for 25 and 15, easy.

oldnavy
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM

?? Davis ?? Not following you on this one. Are you saying that if Davis were to play he would go for 25 and 15?

Hey! Another ankle sprain over at UNC, I'm telling you it is the SHOES!!

tbyers11
01-19-2010, 04:57 PM

Until Ty Lawson decided that his future NBA career was more important than some middle-of-the-season conference tilt, I have never seen a UNC player be declared questionable before a game and not actually play at darn close to full strength in said game. Anyone remember Antawn Jamison being unlikely to play before the 98 ACC final then killing us in the game?

I'd love for Ol Roy to have as few healthy players as possible but this seems like the old "injured player comes through with a huge game bit" that UNC has been pulling for years.

MChambers
01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
?? Davis ?? Not following you on this one. Are you saying that if Davis were to play he would go for 25 and 15?

Hey! Another ankle sprain over at UNC, I'm telling you it is the SHOES!!

Probably 25/15 in the first half.

Duvall
01-19-2010, 04:58 PM

Yes, except that I fully expect Davis to play.

superdave
01-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Maybe he will do the James Brown thing and Roy will have to cover him with a cape.

davekay1971
01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
And these Willis Reed moments always happen for a big UNC home game. I'll believe he's injured when he misses a game.

JonnyWonder
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe he will do the James Brown thing and Roy will have to cover him with a cape.

I can't wait to see him do the splits and pop back up. Get up-ah, Get on up!

airowe
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
They would have lost even with "Take it Easy" Ed Davis.

Now they have an excuse...

oldnavy
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Yes, except that I fully expect Davis to play.

OK, Sorry for being so obtuse, now I see what you are saying... the old "tarheel special" where a player comes off his death bed to save the day...

But, I doubt Ed Davis will score 25 and have 15 boards against Wake. He will be lucky to escape with all of his appendages, and poor stickman Henson better not even venture within 15 feet of the lane, he will get snapped like a twig!

oldnavy
01-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Now they have an excuse...

"Easy" Ed Davis, I like it!

airowe
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
"Easy" Ed Davis, I like it!

He wrote it himself.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/goodman-texas-showcases-depth-and-size-121909

It got so ugly that Pittman said North Carolina’s long and talented sophomore, big man Ed Davis, asked him at one point late in the game if he could take it easy on them in the paint.

"He asked me why we’re so strong?” Pittman said. "I told him it’s Texas. This is Big 12, bro.”

shoutingncu
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM

I've been meaning to ask the board's opinion on this, but didn't want to start a new thread on Ed Davis.

Draft Express currently has him going 4th. I'm not sure how often they update, and I know the draft is based on potential... but it's my opinion that Davis is doing himself no favors this season.

What is the likelihood he slips from the lottery if his play continues to be, uh, soft? Is it possible he goes all the way to the second round?

Obviously, I have selfish reasons for wishing this, hoping he comes back next year, and I realize he can turn it around before the end of the season, but I was just looking for some general opinion on the matter.

wilko
01-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Draft Express currently has him going 4th. I'm not sure how often they update, and I know the draft is based on potential... but it's my opinion that Davis is doing himself no favors this season.

Errr um... This being a Duke board and all, I'm for whatever causes the Tar Heel faithful the most pain.

If he turns out to be gr8, I hope he leaves as soon as possible. If he turns out to be a bust, may he eat a scholly for the next 3 yrs.

but thats just me..

Duvall
01-19-2010, 06:53 PM
If he turns out to be a bust, may he eat a scholly for the next 3 yrs.

Well, he's currently averaging 14.7 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. So I think the matter is pretty much settled.

tbyers11
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I've been meaning to ask the board's opinion on this, but didn't want to start a new thread on Ed Davis.

What is the likelihood he slips from the lottery if his play continues to be, uh, soft? Is it possible he goes all the way to the second round?

Obviously, I have selfish reasons for wishing this, hoping he comes back next year, and I realize he can turn it around before the end of the season, but I was just looking for some general opinion on the matter.

My opinion is that his stock will likely slip some, but I doubt he will fall out of the top 10 barring injury. Looking very good because the defense is focusing on 2 or 3 other guys before you will boost your stock. When defenses can focus on you and expose some potential weaknesses you don't look quite so good. But I think Ed Davis does have too much length, skills and that "magic" potential to fall very far.

However, that doesn't mean he wouldn't come back. He came back last year when he was a pretty sure top 10 pick, so who knows. As a Duke fan, I wish him all the cars and bling that a lottery contract can buy. :D

dukeimac
01-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Seriously, if Shav and McRoberts can try it Davis can too.

Sorry, but the guy has twice the talent those two have.

Duvall
01-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Seriously, if Shav and McRoberts can try it Davis can too.

Sorry, but the guy has twice the talent those two have.

Still, this shows how much of UNC's recent success has less to do with systems and recruiting tactics more to with just plain luck. Getting ten seasons out of three top 10 recruits (Hansbrough, Lawson and Ellington) at the same time? That just doesn't happen.

Kedsy
01-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Assuming the rest of the season goes the same as the season so far, I don't think he'll go 4th, but I still think he'll be a lottery pick and I would be absolutely shocked if he dropped into the second round.

wilko
01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, he's currently averaging 14.7 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. So I think the matter is pretty much settled.

whatev-
As long he is out of a Heel uni as fast as possible is all that matters to me. His reasons for taking it off, I wont argue.... He might just want to wear and adult colors for a change. It matters not.

devildeac
01-19-2010, 11:22 PM

On crutches.

With an ambulance courtside.

devildeac
01-19-2010, 11:25 PM
OK, Sorry for being so obtuse, now I see what you are saying... the old "tarheel special" where a player comes off his death bed to save the day...

But, I doubt Ed Davis will score 25 and have 15 boards against Wake. He will be lucky to escape with all of his appendages, and poor stickman Henson better not even venture within 15 feet of the lane, he will get snapped like a twig!

IIRC, this game is being played in chappaheeya so Mc Farland and Aminu will each pick up 2 quick fouls. In warm-ups.

shoutingncu
01-20-2010, 12:10 AM
IIRC, this game is being played in chappaheeya so Mc Farland and Aminu will each pick up 2 quick fouls. In warm-ups.

But in fairness, the Heels will turn it over four times during the lay-up drill...

Indoor66
01-20-2010, 08:21 AM
But in fairness, the Heels will turn it over four times during the lay-up drill...

Only four? You must only be counting the back court contingent. :)

airowe
01-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Two members of the Freakin Deacon Fan Club just got ejected from the game. Reports were that roy thought the game was going on but it was just a tour group walking around the upstairs of the Nose Dome. Because roy's back was turned to the court, simply seeing someone in the stands made him believe there was a game going on behind him.

Upon seeing the glorious Helms Banner hanging from the rafters, one of these tourists from the Tye-Dye Nation turned to one of their fellow Winstonians and asked, "Is that in Neon?". Roy, listening intently for anyone saying anything about his dadgum players, mistook the question for a taunt he had heard earlier this year and promptly had the offenders thrown out of the arena and right under the bus to relieve some of the pressure from Freshmen John Henson and Dexter Strickland who have been holding up the tires since their arrival in Chappa Heeya this Fall.

Early reports from Steve Kirschner are that the security officials who tossed the offenders from roy's court are questionable and "may" miss the actual game against Wake Forest scheduled for 7 tonight.

John Henson tweeted "Damn, we just made some fans life relevant" following the incident.

devildeac
01-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Two members of the Freakin Deacon Fan Club just got ejected from the game. Reports were that roy thought the game was going on but it was just a tour group walking around the upstairs of the Nose Dome. Because roy's back was turned to the court, simply seeing someone in the stands made him believe there was a game going on behind him.

Upon seeing the glorious Helms Banner hanging from the rafters, one of these tourists from the Tye-Dye Nation turned to one of their fellow Winstonians and asked, "Is that in Neon?". Roy, listening intently for anyone saying anything about his dadgum players, mistook the question for a taunt he had heard earlier this year and promptly had the offenders thrown out of the arena and right under the bus to relieve some of the pressure from Freshmen John Henson and Dexter Strickland who have been holding up the tires since their arrival in Chappa Heeya this Fall.

Early reports from Steve Kirschner are that the security officials who tossed the offenders from roy's court are questionable and "may" miss the actual game against Wake Forest scheduled for 7 tonight.

John Henson tweeted "Damn, we just made some fans life relevant" following the incident.

Oh my word, where is that LMAO smilie when you need it?;)

The good thing is, with their ejection, it will make the dump on the hump an even quieter place...:rolleyes:

natedog4ever
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Okay, put this one in the hall of fame. The part about having the back turned a la clemson game is classic.

BD80
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
What is the likelihood he slips from the lottery if his play continues to be, uh, soft? ...

He will have to really start banging to upgrade his status to "soft."

There is no way he slips out of the lottery, he will dazzle in workouts with his shooting touch and ball skills. He could easily be the next Darko.

With ol' roy flipping his lid under the pressure this year, would you want to stick around for another year?

... poor stickman Henson better not even venture within 15 feet of the lane, he will get snapped like a twig!

Henson treats the lane like a dog with a shock collar treats a property line. He must have had a very bad experience in there once.

moonpie23
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM
he is listed 7th on nbadraft.net who, while not being absolutely correct all the time, is pretty accurate for the most part...

CDu
01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
There is no way he slips out of the lottery, he will dazzle in workouts with his shooting touch and ball skills. He could easily be the next Darko.

Not sure if this was 100% sarcasm, but Davis's shooting touch and ball skills are his weaknesses. The guy looks incredibly awkward whenever he has to dribble more than once. His strengths are his long arms and athleticism and going over/around defenders to finish around the basket. But if you're physical with him and keep him away from the rim, he doesn't have the skillset to score.

That said, I do suspect that he'll be a lottery pick. He's young, he's got enough tools, and with time to build muscle he can adapt to the NBA game. He'll still get drafted high based on potential. And there just aren't enough really top-tier bigs for him to compete with in the draft.

BD80
01-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Not sure if this was 100% sarcasm, but Davis's shooting touch and ball skills are his weaknesses.

Actually, it was 110% sarcasm. Maybe I have just been frustrated that a guy with seemingly so few skills has done well against Duke. I like to think that to date it has been because Hansborer has drawn defensive attention and/or defenders who should be blocking Davis out.

I would be amused if Easy Ed turned out to be the worst draft pick since Darko.

CDu
01-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Actually, it was 110% sarcasm. Maybe I have just been frustrated that a guy with seemingly so few skills has done well against Duke. I like to think that to date it has been because Hansborer has drawn defensive attention and/or defenders who should be blocking Davis out.

I would be amused if Easy Ed turned out to be the worst draft pick since Darko.

Sorry for missing the sarcasm.

To be fair though, Davis hasn't really done that well against Duke. Here are his performances:
14 min, 6 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block
10 min, 4 points, 4 rebounds

Decent numbers in limited minutes, but nothing spectacular.

And I doubt he'll get drafted high enough to compare to Darko - unless he stays another year and shows an improved skillset. Either way, I suspect he'll do more than Darko in the NBA.

UrinalCake
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM

Yeah, either that or we'll find out that McFarland is suspended based on his actions against Duke, giving the Heels an easier path to a win.

In all seriousness, I expect the game to be called really tightly after all the media backlash from our game. Wake doesn't have as much depth inside as the Heels (no one does) but they do have better guards so hopefully they can capitalize.

Regarding Davis, I would be really surprised if he stays. He almost certain to slip relative to where he would have been drafted last year (which is natural considering some people had him at #2) and I don't see why he would risk slipping even farther.

CDu
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, either that or we'll find out that McFarland is suspended based on his actions against Duke, giving the Heels an easier path to a win.

In all seriousness, I expect the game to be called really tightly after all the media backlash from our game. Wake doesn't have as much depth inside as the Heels (no one does) but they do have better guards so hopefully they can capitalize.

The depth issue depends entirely on the availability of Davis. If he plays (and I suspect he'll be just fine), then the Heels have slightly more depth (they can go five deep compared with Wake's four). If he somehow doesn't play, then I'd actually give the edge comfortably to Wake. Both teams would have four post guys, but Wake would have two of the three most talented, and one could argue about whether Weaver and Woods are better than the Wears.

As for whether Davis stays or goes, I think it is not cut and dry. He may see next year as an opportunity to jump back onto the national scene with better surrounding talent. A Final Four run can do wonders for your draft stock, and he may want the opportunity to take his team back to the Final Four, this time as the team's veteran star.

Of course, it could work the other way too. With Zeller, Henson, and possibly Barnes cutting into the minutes at the 4/5 spots he may have more trouble distinguishing himself.

natedog4ever
01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Does anyone think that Wake's relative lack of conditioning may make a difference? I know UNC sucks, but they at least look like they are in shape (save Will Graves).

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
One thing about the inside matchup between Wake and UNC: playing in the Dean Dome, McFarland will be fouled out in 15 minutes of floor time. 10 minutes if Davis is playing. Chaz won't be able to breathe near a 'Hole without being whistled for a foul. Davis in the Dean Dome, if he's playing, is going to have an easy time getting to the foul line against guys like Woods, Weaver, and Chaz.

Aminu has far more talent and skill right now than any UNC inside man besides Davis. Thompson and the Wears are going to be hard pressed to slow him down. They simply don't have a Lance or Kyle to put on him.

It's an interesting matchup, and on a neutral court I would give the advantage to Wake. In the Dean Dome, with Carolina refs, and the "flagship" team of the ACC in danger of slipping out of the top 25, look for an egregious FT disparity in favor of the 'Holes.

CDu
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Does anyone think that Wake's relative lack of conditioning may make a difference? I know UNC sucks, but they at least look like they are in shape (save Will Graves).

Yeah, this was briefly discussed before (specifically in reference to Aminu) but got lost in a previous page. It's definitely a point of concern, especially if Davis does play. If UNC can push the tempo and not fall far behind, it's definitely a possibility (or strong likelihood) that they can wear Wake out and run them out of the gym in the second half.

jjasper0729
01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm going to agree with davekay about chas. He's going to pick up a few quick fouls based on how the game went with us the other night. Refs are going to be on wake and it will be a big time at the line for the 'holes

natedog4ever
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm going to agree with davekay about chas. He's going to pick up a few quick fouls based on how the game went with us the other night. Refs are going to be on wake and it will be a big time at the line for the 'holes

Well that will be interesting, since they can't hit the broad side of a barn from the line.

shoutingncu
01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Well that will be interesting, since they can't hit the broad side of a barn from the line.

I was going to say that I hope Practice #54 is free throw shooting...

You beat me to it while I looked up the team percentage. Yep, 68%.

SupaDave
01-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Hate to bump this but it's not looking good for the Heels versus Wake. I would really hate for our game to be their "Superbowl"...

ScreechTDX1847
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Hate to bump this but it's not looking good for the Heels versus Wake. I would really hate for our game to be their "Superbowl"...

I was thinking the same thing earlier today, man. It would really suck to drop an L to UNC this year.

Indoor66
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Looks like Wake has it in hand - maybe - up 16 with under 4 to play.

Grey Devil
01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I was thinking the same thing earlier today, man. It would really suck to drop an L to UNC this year.

Our guys will have serious revenge on their minds.

Grey Devil

IBleedBlue
01-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I think our game with UNC depends on how well Nolan Smith penetrates like Ish Smith is doing today. If he can create penetration, then it leaves, kyle, scheyer/dawkins on the perimeter with the p1 and p2 to finish the shots.
I think we will take 2Ws against this UNC team this year. :)

MChambers
01-20-2010, 08:50 PM

It always sucks to lose to UNC. But it feels great to beat them, which I'm confident we'll do.

slower
01-20-2010, 08:54 PM
LOVE Van Gundy!

Duke79UNLV77
01-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Pitiful. Environment doesn't hold a candle to Cameron.

LSanders
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Well, dadgum it! I hope ol' Roy ain't plannin' on puttin' his little finger into that game!

AlaskanAssassin
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
LOVE Van Gundy!

I want to see that cage match happen during halftime.

Greg_Newton
01-20-2010, 09:07 PM
LOVE Van Gundy!

"I think McFarland is a decent prospect, the only problem I have with him is... (pause)... HOW DO YOU SPELL CHASE C-H-A-S? I MEAN, MY FIRST GRADE TEACHER-" (continues on 10 minute rant)

Haha... when they have a former high-level coach commentating, it makes the games so much more enjoyable. Plus Van Gundy is just hilarious.

Clearly this loss means nothing and was entirely due to UNC's injuries, though. Or at least, that's what I hear.:rolleyes:

davekay1971
01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Enjoyed hearing the "Wake...Forest" chant loud and clear on the TV from the, what, 100 Wake fans in the arena. That crowd is so pathetic. They show up for Duke and otherwise only cheer if Carolina's on a roll.

Carolina's in trouble right now. Granted that this game would have been very different with Davis playing, but the simple truth is that Carolina is playing, right now, like a team that belongs in the bottom half of the ACC. No matter how young their team, they're playing that way with top half talent. The road losses are more understandable given their youth. But the home losses..?

DCDeac
01-20-2010, 09:20 PM
We can all be happy - Wake win and a UNC loss. I would never pretend Carolina wasn't severely handicapped tonight without Davis...but at the same time, I think some credit is due to Wake. Sure, the score against the Devils looked bad, but it was a competitive game throughout and tonight may be the best we have looked all season. No need to speculate if we would have won had E.D. played, I don't really care either way - that was a crucial win for us and our acc/ncaa prospects.

The announcers were very entertaining, but not knowledgeable enough really.
Ish, who I love, is simply not a "Sure Thing" at the NBA level as Marc Jackson claims. Ish's future is probably brightest in Europe or perhaps as a free agent signing for a team that needs a back up pg/energy guy for about 15 minutes a game. This doesn't take away from the season he is having, it's just realistic.

They were very high on Aminu and rightly so. Saying that McFarland could end up on an NBA roster is not that far fetched. We can all agree he is a punk, but he has some decent abilities out there.

Anyways, although I don't have the deep UNC hatred as others out there, I am glad they went down hard against us.

Good luck against NC High School, shouldn't need too much of it though.

BD80
01-20-2010, 10:22 PM
If you lined the tarheels along the shoreline, 20 feet from the ocean, how many do you think would hit the water?

hq2
01-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, Carolina is definitely WTE (worse than expected). Glad to see they're having a rotten year; that always makes me happy. (Boy did I love it when they had an 8-20 year a few years ago!). This should be a year to sweep 'em;
get a little payback for last year.

Reddevil
01-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Listen for Huckleberry to embrace the ACC tournament this year like never before.

moonpie23
01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
This should be a year to sweep 'em;
get a little payback for last year.

we can't even sweep State.....can we PLEASE not be chalking the UNC games up for a "W" till we actually GET them?

CDu
01-22-2010, 10:18 AM
we can't even sweep State.....can we not be chalking the UNC games up for a "W" till we actually GET them?

It's a good point. Until we prove we can win a road game, it's presumptuous to talk about sweeping anybody.

However, I'm hopeful that State's victory was a combination of bad matchup (they played two quick, penetrating guards, two perimeter shooters, and one post with great ball skills) and great outside shooting by them. UNC has more talent, but they can't spread the floor with shooters and isolate one big man the way State did. So despite the fact that UNC may be a better team than state (and that remains to be seen), it may be that we have a better matchup against UNC.