PDA

View Full Version : Jim Calhoun - Immediate leave of absence

arydolphin
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Press release from UConn here: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011910aab.html

No specifics given in that release about what the medical issues are, but best wishes to Calhoun for a speedy recovery.

SCMatt33
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Press release from UConn here: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011910aab.html

No specifics given in that release about what the medical issues are, but best wishes to Calhoun for a speedy recovery.

I seem to remember him having medical issues last year as well. I certainly hope he is okay, but one must wonder about the timing with him leaving with his team struggling mightily if he already knew he had problems. Of coarse, it is also possible that he was already having issues that caused him to not coach as well which could have contributed to the struggles.

Again, hopefully this is only a precautionary measure. Hate to see anything more serious.

NYDukie
01-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Just heard on ESPN Radio that it had nothing to do with his cancer scare last year but they did not elaborate any further.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
He had cancer (skin?) a few years back. Other than that, I don't know of anything. Get well Jim Calhoun! He is one of my favorite coaches outside of Coach K.

Taco
01-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I certainly hope he is okay, but one must wonder about the timing with him leaving with his team struggling mightily if he already knew he had problems.

I've got no love for Jim Calhoun and the teams he produces, but is this the kind of baseless accusation you want to be throwing around on this particular messageboard?

DukieInKansas
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Best wishes to Coach Calhoun. I hope his health issues are resolved quickly and positively.

ArtVandelay
01-19-2010, 04:36 PM
I seem to remember him having medical issues last year as well. I certainly hope he is okay, but one must wonder about the timing with him leaving with his team struggling mightily if he already knew he had problems. Of coarse, it is also possible that he was already having issues that caused him to not coach as well which could have contributed to the struggles.

I don't think you have to wonder this at all. In fact, I think it's pretty unfair to assume that Calhoun's absence is anything other than an illness, especially given his medical history. This sounds a lot like Tar Heel fans who claim that Coach K's leave of absence in '95 was due to the team not performing well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of UConn as a program and Calhoun has made some questionable decisions, but you do have to admire him coming back to coaching as a cancer survivor.

I also doubt their team's struggles have had much to do with his health, although I suppose it's possible. It seems to me that their struggles come from a lack of perimeter shooting and the fact that their team has a lot of guys with considerable talent who tend to make questionable decisions on the floor.

SCMatt33
01-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I just saw that he was taking a medical leave, and giving all possible thoughts. Obviously, if it is true that this has nothing to do with past medical issues, then there's no reason to think anything of it. I just thought that it was possible that he had never really gotten over his past health problems and had been trying to coach through it and had decided that he wasn't able to perform his duties properly, and that it was detrimental to both himself and his team. I certainly didn't think that he was trying to cut and run because his team was doing poorly.

calltheobvious
01-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I just saw that he was taking a medical leave, and giving all possible thoughts. Obviously, if it is true that this has nothing to do with past medical issues, then there's no reason to think anything of it. I just thought that it was possible that he had never really gotten over his past health problems and had been trying to coach through it and had decided that he wasn't able to perform his duties properly, and that it was detrimental to both himself and his team. I certainly didn't think that he was trying to cut and run because his team was doing poorly.

I fail to see how the possibility you claim to have been contemplating is substantively different from a 'cut and run.'

Duvall
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Jim Calhoun is a 67-year-old man in an exceptionally high-stress career with a history of serious illness. I really don't think we have to wonder about this.

uh_no
01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Coach Calhoun has had his share of medical problems, and as someone who follows the CT program closely, i'm gonna guess this is something on the lines of dehydration....he has had a couple issues like this before, including last year. I think sometimes he gets so invested in the team that he fails to take care of himself.

To the people who accuse calhoun of recruiting shady players: there's no doubt the character standards are higher here than they are anywhere else....but how many uconn players have issues when they are upper classmen? how may have issues in the league? say what you want about Jim, but he straightens kids out, and I have no doubt in my mind that they leave uconn better than they did when they came in

That said, I was not happy when the story broke about the recruiting violations...i don't know what went on, it was a shady situation, and it saddens me that no resolution ever came from the NCAA (given it also saddens me that john calipari put two schools on probation and is still coaching....spot on bobby knight)

RelativeWays
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe he's coming down with sanctionitis. Pete Carroll came down with a nasty case of that and had to leave USC. Poor trojans.:eek: :rolleyes:

sagegrouse
01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Jim Calhoun's medical history included squamous cell cancer, a form of skin cancer that "usually" does not spread (unlike melanoma). The issue was that the size of the cancer was a little bit scary. The presser, however, ruled out previous medical conditions.

Last year, Calhoun was doing a bike-a-thon for a charity he leads and had a fainting spell and a wreck that led to his hospitalization for dehydration. For some reason, I think he got back on his bike and finished the race.

sagegrouse

SCMatt33
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I fail to see how the possibility you claim to have been contemplating is substantively different from a 'cut and run.'

The difference is that "cut and run" would be getting out when he didn't need to, and what I thought is that he might have needed to do so all along but just realized it now. The point is moot, however, since the scenario's I was contemplating had to do with this being an extension of previous health problems, and not a new issue that just happened to come about now.

striker219
01-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't much care for the man or the teams he coaches, but you hate to see anyone taken out of their game with health issues. I know that press releases of this sort are specifically worded to downplay whatever the issue may be, but it didn't make it sound too serious, so hopefully he'll be back court side soon.

Take care of yourself Coach Calhoun, and come back to lead your team to a National (Invitational Tournament) Championship!

(for his sake I hope it's something as simple as unrankeditis, but I really doubt it - I hear early symptoms include constipation...)

SoCalDukeFan
01-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Calhoun had surgery for prostate cancer a few years ago. With cancer you are never out of the woods.

uh_no
01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Calhoun had surgery for prostate cancer a few years ago. With cancer you are never out of the woods.

its not cancer, nor is it cardiac related

Indoor66
01-19-2010, 10:02 PM
its not cancer, nor is it cardiac related

That is a rather pregnant statement. Would you like to elaborate?

Duvall
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
That is a rather pregnant statement.

Not really, no (http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/011910aab.html).

The following is a statement from University of Connecticut Health Center physician Peter Schulman, M.D., Jim Calhoun's primary care physician:
"It is my recommendation that Coach Calhoun take a medical leave from his coaching position to address some temporary medical issues, none of which involve any previous medical conditions that he has dealt with."

JStuart
01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
OK, I'll up the ante: Who will get credit for his wins and losses?
(Someone was bound to ask...)

uh_no
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
OK, I'll up the ante: Who will get credit for his wins and losses?
(Someone was bound to ask...)

with coach k 15 years ago, the wins and losses (mostly losses for coach k) are not attributed to coach, even though k holds himself responsible

that was slightly different because K missed most of the season, I think when the abscence is game by game, i'm not sure

CDu
01-20-2010, 12:39 PM
with coach k 15 years ago, the wins and losses (mostly losses for coach k) are not attributed to coach, even though k holds himself responsible

that was slightly different because K missed most of the season, I think when the abscence is game by game, i'm not sure

The answer is that it is up to the school to make the decision.

Practically speaking, it doesn't matter to us as Calhoun isn't going to coach long enough to catch Coach K. But that is obviously way less important than Calhoun's health.

G man
01-20-2010, 12:52 PM

You guys need to chill out! He is just wondering if his health is affecting his team that is all! Certain people around here are way to uptight. It did not appear that he was being a jerk. just relax

BD80
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
This could impact recruiting. Other coaches have been telling recruits for a few years that Calhoun is in poor health and will be retiring soon. He is in the last year of his contract, and, despite Calhoun's recent statement that a multi-year extension was about to be signed, there has been no official announcement that he has been signed past this year.

Common speculation is that this is stress related, never a good thing at his (or any) age.

Calhoun's got FIVE seniors (including Stanley Robinson and Jerome Dyson) on this year's squad and could lose Kemba Walker. Next year isn't all that rosey.

Who would be on uCon's radar should Calhoun retire? Ex-assistants kicking butt anywhere?

flyingdutchdevil
01-20-2010, 01:15 PM
This could impact recruiting. Other coaches have been telling recruits for a few years that Calhoun is in poor health and will be retiring soon. He is in the last year of his contract, and, despite Calhoun's recent statement that a multi-year extension was about to be signed, there has been no official announcement that he has been signed past this year.

Common speculation is that this is stress related, never a good thing at his (or any) age.

Calhoun's got FIVE seniors (including Stanley Robinson and Jerome Dyson) on this year's squad and could lose Kemba Walker. Next year isn't all that rosey.

Who would be on uCon's radar should Calhoun retire? Ex-assistants kicking butt anywhere?

Considering that Calhoun won't give a penny back, he looks to coach for a couple more years to pad that balance sheet of his...

uh_no
01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Considering that Calhoun won't give a penny back, he looks to coach for a couple more years to pad that balance sheet of his...

yeah....because he needs the money....

UConnJack
01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes Calhoun may be stressed to the point of his doctor recommending he take a break. But I think his decision to take the LOA is also about motivating his team, somewhat akin to getting thrown out of the game. Shake up the dynamics by having the team coached by Blaney for a while, and see how the team responds. Maybe these kids don't respond to Jim's hardnosed style like past teams have, and maybe he recognizes that. He has been awfully calm and reserved (relatively speaking) this year, especially considering the results of the season thus far. I think Calhoun is giving the team a break from him, and seeing if they can find their own identity. Some may call it abandoning his team, but I think it may be a smart coaching move.

uh_no
01-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes Calhoun may be stressed to the point of his doctor recommending he take a break. But I think his decision to take the LOA is also about motivating his team, somewhat akin to getting thrown out of the game. Shake up the dynamics by having the team coached by Blaney for a while, and see how the team responds. Maybe these kids don't respond to Jim's hardnosed style like past teams have, and maybe he recognizes that. He has been awfully calm and reserved (relatively speaking) this year, especially considering the results of the season thus far. I think Calhoun is giving the team a break from him, and seeing if they can find their own identity. Some may call it abandoning his team, but I think it may be a smart coaching move.

i think you're reading too much into it....

BD80
01-20-2010, 06:26 PM

Perchance Calhoun found himself having Bobby Knight-like urges, his arm and hand reaching toward the throat of a player in desperate need of "motivation." Think of Dr Strangelove dealing with his disobediant hand.

As the father of 18 and 19 year old sons, I can empathize.

I absolutely DO NOT condone child abuse. I do understand it sometimes.

UConnJack
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
i think you're reading too much into it....

Maybe a little, but Calhoun was quoted as saying "I decided to listen to the doctor this time." My point is that normally Calhoun would brush off a recommendation form his doctor to take a break (unless, as in the past, it was something very serious like cancer). I think one of the reasons he decided to take the break as recommended is that it might be good for his team too, to shake things up a little.

uh_no
01-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Maybe a little, but Calhoun was quoted as saying "I decided to listen to the doctor this time." My point is that normally Calhoun would brush off a recommendation form his doctor to take a break (unless, as in the past, it was something very serious like cancer). I think one of the reasons he decided to take the break as recommended is that it might be good for his team too, to shake things up a little.

you honestly think that the active coach with the second highest win total in the country, with two national titles would honestly think for one second that leaving the team would be in its best interests? you think if coach K was feeling a little exhausted and his team was having a bad year he would be like....oh it'll shake things up a bit if I leave? no....calhoun is a competitor....you don't be one of the best coaches in teh country, come off a final four run and then take time off because you think it'll help your team.....that's just plain stupid

AlaskanAssassin
01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Let's say, hypothetically, Calhoun retires and Roscoe decommits. Do you think we will still put him on our list?

sagegrouse
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM

This is a far too complicated line of reasoning.

Here are the "facts" [some as interpreted by Sage Grouse:rolleyes:]:

Calhoun has had 2-3 health issues in the past 2-3 years.

He is 67 years old.

He exudes stress at every moment.

Connecticut and New England, in general, is a pressure cooker for coaches -- much more so than the South, Midwest and West.

The doctors did advise him to take time off.

If he takes 2-4 weeks off, he will return for the games that really matter. UConn should be a tournament team.

There are no secrets anywhere. If this was other than as stated, it would clearly get out.

End of story.

The idea that this is some ploy to get his team to play better is kind of crazy IMHO, although with the Grouse the 'H' is often silent. I mean, that's like admitting your assistants are better coaches than you are -- not a risk you want to take with a multi-million dollar contract.

sagegrouse

uh_no
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
I mean, that's like admitting your assistants are better coaches than you are -- not a risk you want to take with a multi-million dollar contract.

Well, we'll find out who's right shortly. If he was, in fact, leaving to shake things up and let Blaney coach a few, then I'm sure the state will ask for some dimes back.....