jimrowe0
01-18-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/290741.html

uncwdevil
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Awesome.

roywhite
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
In a related story, workmen were called on to repair damage to the floor where "Nails" Singler fell. Kyle was heard to mutter something about not building courts the way they used to...

Glad to hear he's okay...his football and hockey background comes in handy sometimes.

airowe
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Got another report that said there is no break, just a sprain...

FerryFor50
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Something tells me that he'd have to be missing a hand to sit out a game.

BD80
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
... "Nails" Singler ...

I'm sorry, but there is NO WAY that Chuck Norris allows his son to be called "Nails"

quickgtp
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM

You know, I literally laughed out loud when I read this, but sadly I do not even see THAT holding Kyle out!

arnie
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/290741.html

Great news, cause I didn't want him "benched".

miramar
01-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Great news, cause I didn't want him "benched".

Do you think that Wake's Tony Woods works for the Chronicle?

NYDukie
01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Depending on Kyle feels, maybe it might be best for him to be dressed with the intention of him to not play unless necessary (i.e. - foul troubles). NC State could pull it off but I just think their are bigger fish to fry later in the season rather than worry about Kyle pushing it too much if he is hurting and could be susceptible to further injury.

roywhite
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Depending on Kyle feels, maybe it might be best for him to be dressed with the intention of him to not play unless necessary (i.e. - foul troubles). NC State could pull it off but I just think their are bigger fish to fry later in the season rather than worry about Kyle pushing it too much if he is hurting and could be susceptible to further injury.

I'll trust the medical staff and the coaching staff on this one.

I don't think they'll take any unnecessary risk and will make an appropriate decision about Kyle's status.

mr. synellinden
01-18-2010, 01:43 PM
In a related story, workmen were called on to repair damage to the floor where "Nails" Singler fell. Kyle was heard to mutter something about not building courts the way they used to...

Glad to hear he's okay...his football and hockey background comes in handy sometimes.

This just proves what I've been saying since Kyle came to Duke - Singler is Iron. I was watching the game with a friend who reacted with great concern when Kyle bounced off the floor. I kept saying, "Don't worry. He's fine. He's made out of iron. " I'm starting to think he really might be.

We are so lucky to have this guy wearing Duke on the front of his jersey.

arnie
01-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Do you think that Wake's Tony Woods works for the Chronicle?

That's funny! Wonder if the Chronicle writer will "take credit" for putting a fire under Singler.

striker219
01-18-2010, 02:19 PM

I'm not so sure that would do it.

And if it were broken he would probably dress for the State game (under his street clothes), would then spend the first half gnawing the cast off, and would be ready to start the second half.

Tell me you can't picture him sitting on the sideline literally chewing a cast off of his arm.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm not so sure that would do it.

And if it were broken he would probably dress for the State game (under his street clothes), would then spend the first half gnawing the cast off, and would be ready to start the second half.

Tell me you can't picture him sitting on the sideline literally chewing a cast off of his arm.
I think you're confusing Kyle with Patrick Davidson... :cool::eek::eek::eek:

weezie
01-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Whew, this is some good news. Let Kyle rest up a bit. Give Ryan some touches and let him get banged around a little. I sure would like to see him get his game going.

coldriver10
01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
When I saw him fall and his face hit the floor, my hand shot to my mouth and didn't leave for the next 2 minutes (literally). I still can't believe he got up so quickly after that.

He may not be shooting as well as we hoped he would, but no one can question his heart. Definitely glad he's on our team :)

DukeUsul
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Singler Likely to Play vs. State (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6831088/)

slower
01-18-2010, 03:21 PM
I think you're confusing Kyle with Patrick Davidson... :cool::eek::eek::eek:

I've never seen the two of them in the same place.

Kewlswim
01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I'll trust the medical staff and the coaching staff on this one.

I don't think they'll take any unnecessary risk and will make an appropriate decision about Kyle's status.

Hi,

How independent is the medical staff at Duke? In other words, let's say Coach K wants a player to play and the medical staff says, "No." I am guessing they trump whatever a coach says? Am I correct? I am asking about any sport, not just basketball so perhaps this should have been a new thread.

GO DUKE! Stay well Kyle!

CDu
01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi,

How independent is the medical staff at Duke? In other words, let's say Coach K wants a player to play and the medical staff says, "No." I am guessing they trump whatever a coach says? Am I correct? I am asking about any sport, not just basketball so perhaps this should have been a new thread.

GO DUKE! Stay well Kyle!

I'm guessing that there is some minimum level of clearance that is required for a player to resume physical activity. I reference the Nolan Smith concussion situation as an example. In cases where it's legitimately dangering the health of the player, the doctor's decision not to clear a player is final.

My guess in a situation with a wrist (which is much less directly life-threatening) is that it's more of a situation where the doctor gives a general recommendation but it's up to how the player feels and how he's able to perform in practice. Obviously I'm no expert, though.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM

:D:D:D:D:Funny!
Love, Ima

oldnavy
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing that there is some minimum level of clearance that is required for a player to resume physical activity. I reference the Nolan Smith concussion situation as an example. In cases where it's legitimately dangering the health of the player, the doctor's decision not to clear a player is final.

My guess in a situation with a wrist (which is much less directly life-threatening) is that it's more of a situation where the doctor gives a general recommendation but it's up to how the player feels and how he's able to perform in practice. Obviously I'm no expert, though.

My guess would be that the physician makes a medical judgement and assessment that he/she gives to the player and the coach. The player and coach can take the advice or not. To go against the medical advice would be reckless and in some cases dangerous but I do not think it would be "illegal" if the player is of legal age and deemed compotent. That will be 5 cents please.

CDu
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
My guess would be that the physician makes a medical judgement and assessment that he/she gives to the player and the coach. The player and coach can take the advice or not. To go against the medical advice would be reckless and in some cases dangerous but I do not think it would be "illegal" if the player is of legal age and deemed compotent. That will be 5 cents please.

Yeah, that's basically my point. On things like broken feet/legs/backs or concussions, the doctor's orders have little room for flexibility. I doubt that the coaches or players would ever really go against medical advice in those situations.

The only wiggle room is in cases like this, in which there isn't a clear-cut answer. On things like soft-tissue wrist injuries or muscle pulls, the decisions are probably more subjective. The doctor probably gives a general recommendation with variability and the coaches and players make the decision based on the specific case.

ricks68
01-18-2010, 05:03 PM

Wow! I have to agree. What a great post.:D

ricks

Fish80
01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Assume you designed a tough-o-meter, with Singler used to calibrate the highest possible toughness. Then using said scale to measure the toughness of Singler, he'd be so tough that merely measuring his toughness would break his own toughness scale designed specifically to measure his toughness.

ricks68
01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
I sense the beginning of another "Patrick Davidson" thread upon us.:D

ricks

oldnavy
01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that's basically my point. On things like broken feet/legs/backs or concussions, the doctor's orders have little room for flexibility. I doubt that the coaches or players would ever really go against medical advice in those situations.

The only wiggle room is in cases like this, in which there isn't a clear-cut answer. On things like soft-tissue wrist injuries or muscle pulls, the decisions are probably more subjective. The doctor probably gives a general recommendation with variability and the coaches and players make the decision based on the specific case.

Exactly, take the Ty Lawson case with the ankle sprain. He was cleared by the doc, but sat himself out. Nobody could force a player to play, but a coach could certainly prevent a player from playing if the coach felt it not worth the risk based on the docs recommendation.

airowe
01-18-2010, 05:27 PM
It takes Kyle Singler 20 minutes to play 40 minutes of basketball. That's why he can play so many minutes.

mgtr
01-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Is "compotent" the opposite of "impotent?" Just wondering.

slower
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Assume you designed a tough-o-meter, with Singler used to calibrate the highest possible toughness. Then using said scale to measure the toughness of Singler, he'd be so tough that merely measuring his toughness would break his own toughness scale designed specifically to measure his toughness.

Kyle Singler cannot be measured. Things can only be measured AGAINST him.

Other objects cannot attain a Singler value of 1. There are asymptotes in every direction. :)

ricks68
01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
I was wrong.:eek:

Ricks

wilko
01-18-2010, 07:07 PM

He once had a weak moment just to see what it felt like...
He lives vicariously thru himself...
He does not condone drinking but when he does.... it is Azure Diablo..

oldnavy
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Is "compotent" the opposite of "impotent?" Just wondering.

No the opposite of impotent is not impotent.

ricks68
01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
He once had a weak moment just to see what it felt like...
He lives vicariously thru himself...
He does not condone drinking but when he does.... it is Azure Diablo..

Better.

ricks

ricks68
01-18-2010, 07:14 PM

If you really think about this reply, and it was spelled the way it was meant to be spelled, then---well done.:cool:

ricks

SupaDave
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Really? Try "potent"...

(oh and good catch on "competent")...

uh_no
01-18-2010, 09:17 PM
either way...word from a manager is that both singler and mason are fine

Jim3k
01-18-2010, 09:22 PM
To go against the medical advice would be reckless and in some cases dangerous but I do not think it would be "illegal" if the player is of legal age and deemed compotent.

Do you think Kyle prefers mixed fruit compotent or the peaches-only version. I understand that the Ag Dept at State offers studies in both, so the question is -- What would Singler choose when he gets to Raleigh? Usually, of course compotents are a side dish served cold, but you might ask him if he'd like it microwave warm. It might help him swallow the wolfmeat they serve over there.

EEeaaghhhh...urk...

camion
01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
either way...word from a manager is that both singler and mason are fine

Why would Bobby Cox's opinion matter?

uh_no
01-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Why would Bobby Cox's opinion matter?

hm, perhaps there are more relevant definitions of manager in this case

devildeac
01-18-2010, 10:23 PM

I just hope K does not decide to lock him in a closet...

(just kidding, just kidding)

mapei
01-18-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm very glad and relieved that Kyle is fine. That said, I don't trust the medical staff in any sport in situations like this. Coach, player and doctor are all wanting the player to compete. Our culture celebrates sports "warriors" who play while "dinged" and "hurt," but I doubt that it is often the best way to heal if that were really the goal. It's not.

gep
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM

Other objects cannot attain a Singler value of 1. There are asymptotes in every direction. :)

Singularity??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity

Fish80
01-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Singularity??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity

An essential singularity or an isolated singularity?

jimsumner
01-19-2010, 10:09 AM
"That said, I don't trust the medical staff in any sport in situations like this"

In some other places, some other times? Probably.

But what evidence do you have that this coaching and medical staff have sent out players whom they should have sat? Was Duke under-cautious with Nolan Smith's concussion last year? Was David McClure rushed back after knee surgeries? Or Mason, with his broken wrist this season?

I know for a fact that Nolan Smith wanted to come back sooner last year but the medical staff said no and the coaches listened to the medical staff not the player.

Every season, Duke loses key players from injuries, guys like Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill and Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer. And they sit, until they are ready to play. I am unawre of any of these players being rushed back into play, any instances where the medical staff felt pressured to give an overly-optimistic report or any instances where the coaches overrode the opinions of the medical staff.

Essentially, you're accusing Duke's basketball professionals of medical malpractice. I find that accustation troubling, especially in the absence of evidence.

rsvman
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
I think toughness could indeed be measured in Singler units (or, simply, "Singlers"). The only thing is that numbers assigned to anybody besides Singler himself must start with a zero and a decimal.

So, for example, Jack Bauer might be 0.8 S, Muhammed Ali 0.7 S, Ty Lawson 0.001 S, etc. :cool:

du_bb1
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Essentially, you're accusing Duke's basketball professionals of medical malpractice. I find that accustation bothersome"

Absolutely-few medical professionals will put their license on the line to rush an athlete back to action too soon---

slower
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
I think toughness could indeed be measured in Singler units (or, simply, "Singlers"). The only thing is that numbers assigned to anybody besides Singler himself must start with a zero and a decimal.

So, for example, Jack Bauer might be 0.8 S, Muhammed Ali 0.7 S, Ty Lawson 0.001 S, etc. :cool:

So far, the highest known score (the closest to a Singler of 1) is the hiker who cut off his own arm with a pocketknife when he became trapped by a boulder.

http://hike.mountainzone.com/2003/news/html/030502_amputate-arm.html

sagegrouse
01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
"That said, I don't trust the medical staff in any sport in situations like this"

In some other places, some other times? Probably.

Essentially, you're accusing Duke's basketball professionals of medical malpractice. I find that accusation troubling, especially in the absence of evidence.

I agree totally, Jim. I think this is an example of someone who wants to scratch an itch ("team docs can't be trusted") regardless of setting and circumstance.

IIRC Duke was a pioneer in sports medicine, beginng back in the 1960s. The record on conservative treatment of injuries (Nolan Smith is the best example) is impressive. I can't imagine that K or any coach at Duke would ignore the recommendations of doctors.

Also, a shout out to Mack Brown at the University of Texas. Wouldn't you have been tempted to put Colt McCoy back in the game after his injury?

sagegrouse

soccerstud2210
01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Also, a shout out to Mack Brown at the University of Texas. Wouldn't you have been tempted to put Colt McCoy back in the game after his injury?

sagegrouse

i love mack! he could have so easily tried to push colt back into the game. yet he let his youngster battle it out.

here is a pretty good read on him and his standards. he seems like such an upstanding coach. which is such a breath of fresh air around terrible coaches in college sports

LAST UPDATED 01.06.10
If you're in Pasadena right now and want to take a picture with Texas football coach Mack Brown, you might find it a peculiar experience.
Brown has some very specific rules for taking pictures with fans. He knows that today's sports celebrities live in an age when one misunderstood iPhone snap can suddenly have you back managing an Applebee's. So if you want a shot with Brown, who tries for his second national title Thursday night in the BCS Championship Game, you've got to follow his three rules:
1) He never takes a picture with a female without a "Hook 'em Horns" sign up. That way everybody knows where his hands are and what they're doing.
2) If he's with his wife, Miss Sally -- and he usually is -- she takes the pictures. Nobody else. That way nobody can come up behind him and make him look stupid, or salacious, or drunk. Nobody can pretend their hand is his and put it somewhere that isn't Vatican-approved. Nobody can flip anybody off, nobody can set him up. Miss Sally won't cotton to that kind of behavior. "Sally knows her way around every camera, cell phone, video camera, you name it," says Brown, 58. "If it's out there, she knows how to work it." (Wish there were somebody like that at Best Buy.)
3) He never takes a picture with only one female. "Always two or more," he says. "It just looks better."
Hey, Mack. Tiger on line one.

Rick Reilly, espn.com

devilboomer
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree totally, Jim. I think this is an example of someone who wants to scratch an itch ("team docs can't be trusted") regardless of setting and circumstance.

IIRC Duke was a pioneer in sports medicine, beginng back in the 1960s. The record on conservative treatment of injuries (Nolan Smith is the best example) is impressive. I can't imagine that K or any coach at Duke would ignore the recommendations of doctors.

sagegrouse

IIRC, Colt sustained a nerve injury and could not feel his arm. I'm not sure that he would have been able to play.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
IIRC, Colt sustained a nerve injury and could not feel his arm. I'm not sure that he would have been able to play.

According to Colt (see Texas Athletic Dept. web site), he not only couldn't feel anything, he couldn't lift his arm until sometime in the second half. He's rehabbing in CA and training for the combine. Seems to be doing well in the recovery process while also garnering some national awards during the past week.

greybeard
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Essentially, you're accusing Duke's basketball professionals of medical malpractice. I find that accustation bothersome"

Absolutely-few medical professionals will put their license on the line to rush an athlete back to action too soon---

WRONG! Look, I'm staying far away from this argument and will not mention specifics. However, it is not malpractice to say to someone, look, you're hurt and you will need surgery but if you put off surgery you will not injure yourself further so if you want to play and think that you can, go ahead. Ditto for saying, look, you have a sprain, and maybe the sprain will hurt more if you play but structurally, you are not apt to tear any tissue further because of the sprain by playing than not playing.

None of this is malpractice. HOWEVER, the bad habits that are formed by making adjustments sometimes are not so easy to undo. Some may not manifest after the ouch goes away in a noticeable drop off in play. Some might. Importantly, one can name any number of high end coaches who have had hip replacements without ever having had a single injury to a hip. How come? Maybe it comes from playing on bad ankles and developing some really bad habits concerning the machines at the other end of their legs and the vectors of the forces that those machines produce. :confused: