PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie Irving TV alert

roywhite
01-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Kyrie and top-ranked St. Patrick take on highly ranked Findlay Prep of Nevada today 1/18 at 3:00 PM Eastern on ESPNU.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/4126970620522322205/nj-boys-basketball-live-coverage-of-the-hoophall-tourney-from-massachusetts-on-monday/

Cameron
01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Thank you!

This is much appreciated. I had no idea.

I am really looking forward to seeing this kid's talents on the hardwood. I've read tons about him (how could you miss it around here), but I've yet to really witness it outside of YouTube clips. Here's to hoping I see a little No. 22. Just a little.

AlaskanAssassin
01-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Anyone know if it's streaming online? I don't have espnu :(

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm watching kendall marshall play right now on espnu and Jay williams is commentating, also i think i see Bobby hurley coaching one of these teams. Idk which one i just started watching.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Opps it's Danny Hurley not Bobby Hurley

WiJoe
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
no sign of game on espnu. ole miss-tenn highlights

dgoore97
01-18-2010, 03:04 PM
cant find it on espn u! please send if you have it

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 03:07 PM
no sign of game on espnu. ole miss-tenn highlights

There are ~30 minutes between games at the Hoophall Classic and the last game went a little bit late. I'm guessing that the game will come on again when the teams are ready to come out... they advertised the game over and over again so I'm sure they will show it.

riverside6
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
starting right now!

dgoore97
01-18-2010, 03:12 PM
please post a link when you can. i dont think i am in the right place.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Coverage has started now on ESPNU.

Nationally ranked #1 St. Patrick's (NJ) vs. #3 Findlay Prep (NV).

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Kyrie is playing off the ball and is not getting too many touches. Gilchrist has been getting the ball more on the perimeter than Kyrie so far... weird. He did put up one 3 that he missed.

They just mentioned that Kyrie beat Jason Williams in a game of HORSE.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Wow, Kyrie just showed off his speed in the open court. He has long strides for a PG and is very fast when he gets going. He has very good body control. They are starting to run the offense through him more.

Cory Joseph has the best player on the court so far for Findlay Prep.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Kyrie has been solid, but Cory Joseph is lighting him up and has 16 or 18 points at halftime. I am not impressed with Kyrie on defense... he doesn't hustle back at all while Joseph has been pressing constantly. He also has not been moving his feet well. It's very surprising from a future Duke player, and I don't know if this is just a one game occurrence or part of a larger trend. I'm not sure, but I think Kyrie has something like 7 points... maybe 9. He's a very very good passer though and has a few assists.

InSpades
01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
What's the score of the game?

BlueintheFace
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Yah, Kyrie's defensive effort has been pretty bad, even compared to the other players on the floor. His offense has been fine and it is easy to see how much faster Duke will be able to play next year.

The good news, effort and defense are K's two specialties.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
What's the score of the game?

42-34. Findlay is a lot better than St. Patrick's, despite their rankings. Findlay has already played 21 games this year, while St. Patrick's has only played 7. It also doesn't help that Gilchrist is limping up and down the court for St. Patrick's. I have no idea why Boyle hasn't taken Gilchrist out. Limping like that is terrible for the knees.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Kyrie heating up with 17 points right now on 6-15 shooting. Joseph is out of the game with leg cramps. Gilchrist has been solid despite his ankle injury.

One point game after the 3rd quarter. St. Patrick's had a really good 3rd quarter and Findlay went cold.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Kyrie is on fire right now and has 27 points. His offense is really something to see.

On defense, he forced a few steals, but overall, he has not been hustling. He's been out of position a lot, which is very frustrating to see.

arydolphin
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Kyrie is really stepping up in the 4th quarter trying to bring his team back. He's really shown a good ability to get to the basket. Everyone compares him to J-Will...I wouldn't put him in that category yet because I think J-Will was a little more powerful and compact, but Irving is going to be a great player. Having 2 guys on the perimeter in Irving and Smith next year with the ability to get to the rim is going to be fun, not to mention also having Dawkins and Curry on the outside as well.

oldnavy
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Kyrie is on fire right now and has 27 points. His offense is really something to see.

On defense, he forced a few steals, but overall, he has not been hustling. He's been out of position a lot, which is very frustrating to see.

Well that will change...

jv001
01-18-2010, 04:58 PM
How Kyrie will look with the Plumlees and Kyle as well as Nolan. He doesn't have much help on this team with Gilchrist hurt. Man 29pts and on the line with two to tie. Go Duke!

arydolphin
01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Ouch, Kyrie had 2 free throws with 1 second to go to tie the game, made the first....missed the second. His team lost by 1 point.

jv001
01-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Bummer Kyrie hit the first and missed the 2nd loses by one. Oh well wait until next year Kyrie. Go Duke!

oldnavy
01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
How Kyrie will look with the Plumlees and Kyle as well as Nolan. He doesn't have much help on this team with Gilchrist hurt. Man 29pts and on the line with two to tie. Go Duke!

Don't forget Seth Curry!

Cameron
01-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Kyrie hit the first and missed the 2nd loses by one.

They do say he's going to be our best since Jason. Perhaps the comparison is a little too real..

ccrazies_708
01-18-2010, 05:12 PM
What an outstanding effort from St. Pats, especially Irving in the second half. You gotta feel for the kid, he really shouldered the load in the fourth quarter and was determined to get into the lane and finish. I saw everything but the second quarter and honestly I didn't think his defense was really that bad.
Also, what was the deal with Gilchrist? I saw him get hurt in the first half but the whole second half he was hobbling around and had no explosiveness at all.

InSpades
01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
What an outstanding effort from St. Pats, especially Irving in the second half. You gotta feel for the kid, he really shouldered the load in the fourth quarter and was determined to get into the lane and finish. I saw everything but the second quarter and honestly I didn't think his defense was really that bad.
Also, what was the deal with Gilchrist? I saw him get hurt in the first half but the whole second half he was hobbling around and had no explosiveness at all.

Gilchrist missed a few games earlier in the year (as recently as a week ago) so he's very likely still feeling the effects.

So did Kyrie really finish w/ 30 points again? I'm sure he wishes this was the game he broke that barrier.

roywhite
Kyrie can really drive, get to the hoop and finish. Great change of speed, great body control, uses either hand. He's got shooting range (hit 2 3-pointers) and made some very nice passes (which his teammates often didn't finish). Defense is an area for improvement.

Also like his size...they announced him at 6'3"...not sure he's that tall, but he's long. A little additional strength will make him even more lethal around the hoop.

Plays with a lot of poise. Nice little feature shown after the game with Kyrie and Jason Williams talking. The challenge has been laid down---Jersey point guards win championships for Duke!

JaMarcus Russell
I only watched the second half, but I was extremely impressed with Irving on offense. I believe he finished the game 11-21 with 30 points, while going 6-7 on the free throw line. He also made some very nice passes to his teammates, especially Gilchrist. At the end of the game, he also got a couple of steals and a Wallesque block on one of the taller Findlay players.

The only weakness that I noticed in his game was his lack of hustle on defense at times. I assume part of the reason is because he can cherry pick in transition against slower teams. However, Findlay is not your typical high school team. He will have to improve his conditioning and get back on defense on just about every play, but otherwise, he looks ready to contribute from the get-go. His handle, vision, first step, and shooting are all very good.

ETA: I was extremely impressed with Gilchrist's defense, especially when you consider he was hobbling around for most of the second half.

However, I don't understand why Kyrie's coach had him playing off the ball for so long. Once he returned to the point, the team came back so quickly.

ccrazies_708
01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Gilchrist missed a few games earlier in the year (as recently as a week ago) so he's very likely still feeling the effects.

So did Kyrie really finish w/ 30 points again? I'm sure he wishes this was the game he broke that barrier.

Thanks for the info.

jv001
01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
After the game espnu showed a taped interview with Kyrie. Well spoken kid and seems to love Duke and Coach K. Said he's already getting flack from tarhole fans but he can handle it. Even talked about playing against hb at unc. Man it's going to be a fun year(2010-2011). Go Duke!

jv001
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=roywhite;352818]Also like his size...they announced him at 6'3"...not sure he's that tall, but he's long. A little additional strength will make him even more lethal around the hoop.

Agree, he looked the same height as Jay in the interview. Go Duke!

mailman2927
01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
from the little bit that i saw, i think kyrie is going to be tremendous for duke in the next couple of years. definitely looking forward to seeing him in a duke uniform.

FireOgilvie
01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I only watched the second half, but I was extremely impressed with Irving on offense. I believe he finished the game 11-21 with 30 points, while going 6-7 on the free throw line. He also made some very nice passes to his teammates, especially Gilchrist. At the end of the game, he also got a couple of steals and a Wallesque block on one of the taller Findlay players.

The only weakness that I noticed in his game was his lack of hustle on defense at times. I assume part of the reason is because he can cherry pick in transition against slower teams. However, Findlay is not your typical high school team. He will have to improve his conditioning and get back on defense on just about every play, but otherwise, he looks ready to contribute from the get-go. His handle, vision, first step, and shooting are all very good.

ETA: I was extremely impressed with Gilchrist's defense, especially when you consider he was hobbling around for most of the second half.

However, I don't understand why Kyrie's coach had him playing off the ball for so long. Once he returned to the point, the team came back so quickly.

I have no idea why Kyrie was off the ball like that in the first half. Not utilizing your best player is just poor coaching. The coach's son was running the offense and was not impressive at all.

Gilchrist twisted his ankle in the first half. He looked fine before that.

ajgoodfella7
01-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I think St. Patrick's coach really just out-coached himself in the first half. Playing Kyrie off the ball was a good idea in theory but the rest of his team really couldn't get him the ball in position to score. I was really impressed with Kyrie with the ball in his hands and in the 2nd half he was getting double teamed every time and even sometimes triple teamed. But he still got the ball to the rim with ease. Anybody who has not seen him yet on TV can rest assured that he has all-american talent which is apparent every time he steps on the court.

As for Gilchrest, I think he is a great defender right now but if he is going to play the 3 in college I think he really needs to work on his shot. But he is a really great defender.

St. Patrick's as a team was definitely outmatched versus Findley's likely 4 D1 level starters. But Kyrie really kept them in the game the 2nd half.

moonpie23
01-18-2010, 05:54 PM
i seem to remember jason williams missing some key free throws.....vaguely...

but i think it turned out ok :)

sagegrouse
01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Bummer Kyrie hit the first and missed the 2nd loses by one. Oh well wait until next year Kyrie. Go Duke!

A worthy successor to his interviewer, Jason Williams.:rolleyes: Go Duke! Go Kyrie!

sagegrouse

striker219
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
They do say he's going to be our best since Jason. Perhaps the comparison is a little too real..

That was exactly what I thought of.

i seem to remember jason williams missing some key free throws.....vaguely...

but i think it turned out ok :)

I think we may be thinking of different games...

jimrowe0
01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Just watched the game...tough to miss that second free throw. Overall though, he carried his team down the stretch. He has excellent dribble pentration and range. He will be an excellent player next year.