PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Wake Forest

Jumbo
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Wake Forest?

SupaDave
01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Voting?

Jumbo
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
I was really tempted to make one of the choices just "Plumlee."

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Tough choice between Miles and Kyle...went with Miles. Mason was great, too. And Nolan...he's just so smooth.

bird
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I thought Kyle had an excellent all around game, including things not included in stats. But this was Miles best game at Duke, and played with composure and strength under game pressure. Tip of the hat to Miles.

Ultrarunner

Would have been a great option. :D

Nolan's D was just ridiculously good and he hit big shots in the second half but Miles and Mason were just awesome in the first half.

slower
Seconded (bird's post, that is)

mph
01-17-2010, 10:29 PM

How about Perky Plumlee?

SCMatt33
01-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Give it to the man with the career night. Great game for Miles!!!

jipops
01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Miles will win this poll with the huge numbers he put up, and he definitely deserves it. But I have to put my vote in for Nolan's stellar defense in this one. For all of those that have complained about Duke's lack of a lock down defender on the point guard the past few years, we obviously have one. Ish Smith was completely shut down.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-17-2010, 10:31 PM
We wouldn't have won this game without miles and mason in the first half. Miles stay consistent in the second half as well, so i have to go with Miles.

(HM)
Kyle
Nolan

mgtr
01-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I am uncertain how one chooses. Miles, Mason, Nolan, even Lance with his two jumpers (which he would not have taken and would not have made in the past) all deserve consideration. But, I ended up with Miles. I hope he continues to play at this level.

rthomas
01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
There were a bunch of men of the match tonight because no boys could've lived through that.

Greg_Newton
01-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I am uncertain how one chooses. Miles, Mason, Nolan, even Lance with his two jumpers (which he would not have taken and would not have made in the past) all deserve consideration. But, I ended up with Miles. I hope he continues to play at this level.

Miles, Nolan and Kyle all had huge games... great efforts by all three. But Lance? 4 points and 1 rebound in 14 minutes is hardly a POG effort. Especially given Aminu went for 22 and 10...

gep
01-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I had to go with Miles. He was huge in the first half... then continued in the second half. I was really impressed with Nolan... and Kyle is a machine. Great game by all...

mapei
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Miles. Kyle & Nolan were huge late, but without Miles we're not even in the game the way the Devils' Trinity were playing in the 1st half.

Mason had memorable moments but Miles was better and more important overall. So-so game for Jon, who still had some big moments. Doubt his A/T ratio was impressive tonight.

jv001
01-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Miles deserved this one. Go big guy..Go Duke!

Bob Green
01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Miles Plumlee earned my vote. He recorded a double-double in the first half! And followed up with a solid second half performance. Miles Plumlee's (28) +/- was double Kyle Singler's (14) and 10 above Nolan Smith (18). I'm utilizing the stats provided by Riverside6.

RelativeWays
01-17-2010, 11:12 PM
No doubt who gets my vote. Having two players that can get some put backs and garbage points is huge, we have three when Zoubs is on.

tele
01-17-2010, 11:18 PM
good game all round, 4 players in double figures, and Scheyer had 9. Could easily have gone with a Plumlee, or Nolan, but I voted for Singler. He really played an outstanding all around game, leading scorer and leading rebounder, and he is doing it with opposing teams defensive focus on stopping him. He played a great game.

greybeard
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Only saw the second half. Kyle was Kyle, which is to say he made plays--rebounds, charges to the basket, defense, a couple of shots, that were oh so big time. Miles had a different look about him, like he knows that he is really, really good, and intends to be that no matter how a play or two might go. He is really, really good. All that said, Mr. Smith gets my vote. And I do mean Mr.!

Jumbo
01-17-2010, 11:34 PM
Miles Plumlee earned my vote. He recorded a double-double in the first half! And followed up with a solid second half performance. Miles Plumlee's (28) +/- was double Kyle Singler's (14) and 10 above Nolan Smith (18). I'm utilizing the stats provided by Riverside6.

I ended up with very different plus/minus numbers. Was Riverside using adjusted numbers, rather than raw?

In other news, how about some love for Jordan Davidson for actually getting some run in the first half for a defensive possession when everyone was in foul trouble? The Davidson family has a long lineage of surprising appearances against Wake!

Jumbo
01-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Only saw the second half. Kyle was Kyle, which is to say he made plays--rebounds, charges to the basket, defense, a couple of shots, that were oh so big time. Miles had a different look about him, like he knows that he is really, really good, and intends to be that no matter how a play or two might go. He is really, really good. All that said, Mr. Smith gets my vote. And I do mean Mr.!

Too bad you missed the first half -- Miles already had a double-double by intermission!

mgwalter
01-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Voted for Mason, but meant to vote for Miles. Still having problems with their names. Some nice play from a lot of Devils tonight! :D

Bob Green
01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I ended up with very different plus/minus numbers. Was Riverside using adjusted numbers, rather than raw?

I really don't know. His site had a running +/- going throughout the game.

dukeimac
01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Well, with Scheyer off I expect Nolan and Kyle to step up and they did. It just tells you the quality of guys they are. Kyle's double double and Nolan's defense, one just can't say enough.

Miles played solid, but I think with his intelligence I expect him to play solid on the boards and good defense. He did just that! If he plays that way the rest of the season, things will definitely look bright for him and the team.

Mason did a good job. He already plays beyond his freshman year.

Zo didn't dazzle anyone but his minutes were big, to give Miles the blow.

Thomas, hit the shots they gave him and hopefully he continues to hit those shots. As stated by one of the announcers, he is probably the 5th option on the court and to hit those shots is excellent. Some might ask for a 1 of 2 but he hit both of them and that changed things for WF.

I think the man of the match was the "team effort" they played with. The big 3 have to carry the load but the rest need to contribute and they did. The games they don't play with "team effort" are the games they will have problems in. If they play like this against GT they are 4-0 in conference.

oso diablo
01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
voting for "Males Plumlee"

:groan:

gep
01-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Mason did a good job. He already plays beyond his freshman year.

I was saying the same thing to myself during the game... especially since he missed so much early in the season. G-man said that the early season games are where freshmen can get their feet wet, get "into" the game... but Mason had to do that when getting into the meat of the season. If so, he's doing an amazing "catch-up"... I really like the "M&M boys", "brothers Plum", whatever:)

Native
01-18-2010, 12:00 AM
Definitely in favor of the "Plumlee" option. I voted for Miles for his monster stat line, but Mason had some great plays and got the crowd going -- especially that two-handed reverse jam. Shouts to Kyle for a double-double while playing with a (hopefully minor) injury and Nolan for shutting down Smith. Lance can hit that mid-range all day, too.

devildeac
01-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Miles. Career night and more efficient than Kyle and Nolan. I'm not complaining though about Kyle and Nolan with a fierce double/double for Kyle and a really fine defensive effort by Nolan on that other Smith, especially in the 2nd half.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2010, 12:04 AM
Miles for MOTM. Having a tougher time deciding on the Bedeviler OTM. Mason? Kyle? Nolan? Hmmmm.

RainingThrees
01-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Gotta go with Miles. Absolute beast in the middle, and how great was it when he stepped up and made his brothers free throws.

ice-9
01-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Miles changed the dynamics of the game and, with his awesome numbers, deserves the MOTM.

Kyle played with a lot of heart and had a monster 15 rebounds.

Mason was brilliant. Reverse dunk FTW!

The post play in this game is really encouraging!

CameronBlue
01-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Great game for Miles. He did it all. As my wife likes to say with a faux British accent "Plumlee did it...in the library with the candlelabra."

CDu
01-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I went with Miles. On top of having career highs in points and rebounds (at least I think it's a career best in rebounds), he stayed out of foul trouble enough to play 32 minutes when the team absolutely needed him on the floor (thanks to unbelievable foul trouble from the other three bigs).

Obviously Singler had a great game as well in getting 15 rebounds. He was a very close second.

NSDukeFan
01-18-2010, 10:29 AM
I went with Miles. On top of having career highs in points and rebounds (at least I think it's a career best in rebounds), he stayed out of foul trouble enough to play 32 minutes when the team absolutely needed him on the floor (thanks to unbelievable foul trouble from the other three bigs).

Obviously Singler had a great game as well in getting 15 rebounds. He was a very close second.

I agree that the 32 minutes played was another very impressive number for Miles. I believe he is the only player outside Earth Wind and Scheyer to play that many minutes in a game (though Lance may have.) Fantastic game for him.
I went with Singler though, because of the 3 he hit at a key point that K said was the biggest of the game, the rebounds, the made free throw after the air ball, a defensive sequence where he rotated out to contest a three point shooter in the corner, then recovered to contest a shot inside, his tough-as-nailsness (nice word?), etc.

jjasper0729
01-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Going with Miles for the whole game. Kyle stepped it up in the second half, but I'm presuming the vote is for 40 mins, not 20 :)

A point about Nolan's defense against Smith... while he did get the assignment to lock him down, if you'll notice, there was a lot of hedging and keeping Smith bottled up with nowhere to drive. There were times when the help wasn't there and Smith was able to get into the lane and dish or get off a shot (even though he missed most of them).

Nolan was good on him, but it wasn't like the glove... just my $0.02

also, on the "intentional foul"... The ref came over to dino and said YES, he was going for the ball, BUT it was intentional because of the "Excessive Contact". (that's not hearing second hand, that's sitting right there and hearing the conversation between the ref and Dino). They also reviewed it at the monitor and affirmed that conclusion.

CDu
01-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Going with Miles for the whole game. Kyle stepped it up in the second half, but I'm presuming the vote is for 40 mins, not 20 :)

A point about Nolan's defense against Smith... while he did get the assignment to lock him down, if you'll notice, there was a lot of hedging and keeping Smith bottled up with nowhere to drive. There were times when the help wasn't there and Smith was able to get into the lane and dish or get off a shot (even though he missed most of them).

also, on the "intentional foul"... The ref came over to dino and said YES, he was going for the ball, BUT it was intentional because of the "Excessive Contact". (that's not hearing second hand, that's sitting right there and hearing the conversation between the ref and Dino). They also reviewed it at the monitor and affirmed that conclusion.

Yeah, if I were to break it down by halves, I'd say Miles for the first half, Singler for the second half. But I'd give it to Miles for the overall game (in a close call for sure).

It's worth noting how much more comfortable Singler looked playing at the 4 spot in the latter part of the second half. I think he really has improved as a player and it showed there. He's just had a tough time transitioning to being guarded by smaller quicker guys, but the fact that he's still putting up huge rebound numbers and solid scoring numbers is evidence of his progress.

NSDukeFan
01-18-2010, 12:17 PM

I agree the help Nolan got from our team defense was key in limiting Ish Smith, but I still think Nolan did an oustanding job of staying in front of him. With someone quick like Ish, I don't think it is necessary to never need help to do a great job on him, as long as you are limiting how often you need a defender to slide over and cause rotations or switches.

weezie
01-18-2010, 02:29 PM

This gave the team such a good lift because wake was officially on notice that they were in a real fight.

But, the sight of Miles making those free throws for his brother....wow, pure Coach K genius move. Absolute goose pimples.

CDu
01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
But, the sight of Miles making those free throws for his brother....wow, pure Coach K genius move. Absolute goose pimples.

Coach K didn't actually pick Miles to shoot those free throws. Gaudio picked him.

COYS
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
This gave the team such a good lift because wake was officially on notice that they were in a real fight.

Those jumpers by LT also opened up a nice hi-low moment later when the wake defender had to jump ou to guard Lance who dumped it down to the now open Miles for the lay-in. I would love to see this more from both Lt and Kyle in the high post. I'd imagine Mason could do this as well.

diesel
01-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I voted for Miles as MOTM. But I have to say that I think the most improved player from last year is Nolan. It is pure joy for me to see this superior player in action. I think he is NPOY material.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I voted for Miles as MOTM. But I have to say that I think the most improved player from last year is Nolan. It is pure joy for me to see this superior player in action. I think he is NPOY material.

Maybe not NPOY but All American no doubt. His stats resemble that of Scottie Reynolds i think.

Newton_14
01-18-2010, 10:36 PM
I am one of Miles Plumlee's biggest fans and it is a joy to watch him develop and grow as a player right before our eyes. Think about just how far ahead he is right now of where he was last year at this time. Amazing. And I wanted to vote for him really bad, but...

I caved and went with Singler. Kyle's rebounding in the 2nd half, plus the killer 3 to end Wake's run, and then finally bouncing back up after the worst fall of his career and refusing to get looked at or come out.. and the look on his face.. That was a man's reaction. A lot of kids would have stayed down and rightly so, or would have come up looking to get in Woods face. Kyle never even looked at a Wake player. It was just a statement from Kyle to Wake that "you can't break me, get to me, nothing". It was one of those moments that will stay in our memories for a long time.

Bench him? No way. Clone him maybe, but the kid is just one of those special players that only comes around so often. He is a joy to watch. And for very selfish reasons, I really want him to play 4 years at Duke.

gep
01-18-2010, 11:58 PM
A lot of kids would have stayed down and rightly so, or would have come up looking to get in Woods face. Kyle never even looked at a Wake player. It was just a statement from Kyle to Wake that "you can't break me, get to me, nothing". It was one of those moments that will stay in our memories for a long time.

This is what I like best about Kyle... and Duke... Maybe Kyle does engage in trash-talking... but when it counts, he knows what and who he is..:)

91_92_01_10_15
01-19-2010, 11:42 AM
I agree that the 32 minutes played was another very impressive number for Miles. I believe he is the only player outside Earth Wind and Scheyer to play that many minutes in a game (though Lance may have.) Fantastic game for him.
I went with Singler though, because of the 3 he hit at a key point that K said was the biggest of the game, the rebounds, the made free throw after the air ball, a defensive sequence where he rotated out to contest a three point shooter in the corner, then recovered to contest a shot inside, his tough-as-nailsness (nice word?), etc.

In my mind, it was Singler, based on that second free throw alone. Did anyone else hear Coach K describe it to Bob Harris on the radio after the game? It sounded to me like Coach got a little choked up there for a moment.