PDA

View Full Version : Durham BBQ and Breakfast

Rich
01-16-2010, 08:16 PM
Coming back to Durham from NJ for the second time in 2 years to see a Duke game in Cameron. I have tix for the GTech game in February. Last year my buddy and I went to Bullocks and it was great. I'm trying to decide whether to go back (which I'd be happy to do) or try another local BBQ joint. Not interested in going to Raleigh or Chapel Hill. Any suggestions?

Last year I went to Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street for breakfast and can't imagine going anywhere better, but am open to suggestions. Again, I'd rather stay local. Thanks.

Verga3
01-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Coming back to Durham from NJ for the second time in 2 years to see a Duke game in Cameron. I have tix for the GTech game in February. Last year my buddy and I went to Bullocks and it was great. I'm trying to decide whether to go back (which I'd be happy to do) or try another local BBQ joint. Not interested in going to Raleigh or Chapel Hill. Any suggestions?

Last year I went to Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street for breakfast and can't imagine going anywhere better, but am open to suggestions. Again, I'd rather stay local. Thanks.

Bullock's is still a Durham classic and you will never go wrong there. But, you have to try Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Road. LOVE the chopped BBQ, slaw and homemade mac & cheese. Elmo's is tough to beat, especially for breakfast.....Enjoy the trip and the game!

killerleft
01-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Dang... I thought somebody had finally invented the best bed & breakfast inn idea in the whole wide world!!:D

Rich
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
One more thing...when I was a Duke student we used to go Ole NC BBQ. I remember they had an all-you-can eat hot bar and some of the best banana pudding I can remember. Is it worth going back there? Or will my 43 year old stomach pay for it?

Verga3
01-17-2010, 06:10 PM
One more thing...when I was a Duke student we used to go Ole NC BBQ. I remember they had an all-you-can eat hot bar and some of the best banana pudding I can remember. Is it worth going back there? Or will my 43 year old stomach pay for it?

Ole NC BBQ is still there, but my first recommendation would still be to try Backyard BBQ Pit #2. Here are some reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/backyard-bbq-pit-durham

allenmurray
01-18-2010, 12:20 PM

The last time I took my kids to Ole NC BBQ the hot bar looked like a clearance rack at Wal-mart on the day after Christmas. They seemed to care little about hygiene or good health practices. We paid for our iced tea and left. I asked the waitress if it was typical, and she said, "usually its worse, it looks good today". Unless you want to share the microbes of a lot of Durhamites who apparantly have the same eating habits as the animals they are dining upon I would stay away. It was disgusting.

However, Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Rd (1/2 block south of Carver Street, on the east side of Guess Rd) is amazing. You will not be disappointed. It puts Bullock's to shame.

rasputin
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
The last time I took my kids to Ole NC BBQ the hot bar looked like a clearance rack at Wal-mart on the day after Christmas. They seemed to care little about hygiene or good health practices. We paid for our iced tea and left. I asked the waitress if it was typical, and she said, "usually its worse, it looks good today". Unless you want to share the microbes of a lot of Durhamites who apparantly have the same eating habits as the animals they are dining upon I would stay away. It was disgusting.

However, Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Rd (1/2 block south of Carver Street, on the east side of Guess Rd) is amazing. You will not be disappointed. It puts Bullock's to shame.

allenmurray, there you go sugar-coating things again. :rolleyes:

allenmurray
01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
allenmurray, there you go sugar-coating things again. :rolleyes:

Just glad to be of service.

Allen "eat the pig, don't be the pig" Murray

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Allen "eat the pig, don't be the pig" Murray
Now THAT'S funny!

Acymetric
01-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Everyone is pretty high on Elmo's (which is good), but I actually prefer Brigg's down by on 55 near 54 in the shopping center with Subway. I wish I could at there every morning...the food is amazing I recommend getting an omlet but it's all good.

Indoor66
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Never forget that they feed pigs and slaughter hogs. :eek:

hughgs
01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Everyone is pretty high on Elmo's (which is good), but I actually prefer Brigg's down by on 55 near 54 in the shopping center with Subway. I wish I could at there every morning...the food is amazing I recommend getting an omlet but it's all good.

Well, most people, including the OP seem to look for something near Duke. The only way that the intersection of 54/55 is close to Duke is with a transporter.

Indoor66
01-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, most people, including the OP seem to look for something near Duke. The only way that the intersection of 54/55 is close to Duke is with a transporter.

Actually it is at the 15-501 split from Franklin St - near the gas station and Holiday Inn.

hughgs
01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Actually it is at the 15-501 split from Franklin St - near the gas station and Holiday Inn.

Given traffic on 15-501, also not very close to Duke. Though it's a lot closer than the 54/55 intersection.

Farlan
01-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Another option to Bullocks is Hog Heaven BBQ on Guess Road (www.hogheavenbarbecue.com). Doesn't have the atmosphere of Bullocks but the BBQ and fried chicken are excellent (and the owners are Duke fans!). Not fond of Elmo's for breakfast (would rather go to the IHOP next to I-85). I have also had a good breakfast at Rick's Diner on University Drive across from what used to be South Square Mall.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Another option to Bullocks is Hog Heaven BBQ on Guess Road (www.hogheavenbarbecue.com). Doesn't have the atmosphere of Bullocks but the BBQ and fried chicken are excellent (and the owners are Duke fans!). Not fond of Elmo's for breakfast (would rather go to the IHOP next to I-85). I have also had a good breakfast at Rick's Diner on University Drive across from what used to be South Square Mall.

Rick's Diner has won awards for their breakfasts. I've had breakfast there and it was excellent.

Be sure to check regarding their location. I understand that the restaurant will be moving up Shannon Rd. to the shopping center near Old Chapel Hill Rd.

Some swear by Honey's for breakfast. It's located adjacent to I-85 off Guess Rd.

aimo
01-21-2010, 08:41 AM

You're thinking of Owen's 501 Diner, not Brigs. Owen's used to be good, but I haven't eaten there in a very long time.

rskale7
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Bullock's rules!

Just a side note, one of my family members works there.

airowe
01-24-2010, 04:56 PM

The Federal actually has a pretty good brunch and definitely one of the best Bloody's I've had recently. Depending on how much you want to spend, consider Piedmont(American Casual), (http://www.piedmontrestaurant.com/) Rue Cler (http://www.ruecler-durham.com/), Foster's Market (http://www.fostersmarket.com/), or Mad Hatter's. (http://www.madhatterbakeshop.com/)

I have to side with Allen and Verga, Backyard BBQ is by far the best cue spot I've been to here.

NovaScotian
01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
for breakfast it's gotta be fosters or gugelhupf. the former is a dope southern place, and the latter an awesome german bakery next door. both on 15-501

allenmurray
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
for breakfast it's gotta be fosters or gugelhupf. the former is a dope southern place, and the latter an awesome german bakery next door. both on 15-501

There are a lot of good southern places in Durham. Fosters is faux Southern.

Gugelhupf is the real deal.

mike88
02-01-2010, 04:06 AM
In terms of the breakfast places, I would rate the food:

1) 501 Diner (no longer owned by the Owens' but still good, very crowded for Sunday brunch)

2) Elmo's (nearest to Duke campus)

3) Rick's

If you are willing to go into Chapel Hill, Ye Old Waffle Shoppe on Franklin is good, too. Lots of places nearby to get your "In Roy We Trust" t-shirts (I hear they are having a sale this week)!

BBallDuke fan
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Making my way back East (from LA) to my first visit to Cameron (VT Game) - would appreciate some recommendations for hotel, restaurants, etc.

Verga3
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Making my way back East (from LA) to my first visit to Cameron (VT Game) - would appreciate some recommendations for hotel, restaurants, etc.

Welcome to DBR. Hope you enjoy the game!

Two best options on hotels (close to campus):

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rdufs-courtyard-durham-near-duke-university-downtown/
http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/

Think we have covered the breakfast, brunch, lunch options pretty well in previous posts. For proximity and quality I still like Elmo's for breakfast and Backyard BBQ Pit #2 for lunch/dinner (both are less than 5 minutes from the Courtyard Marriott). Dinner is tougher (a lot of good choices), depending on what you are looking for. Again, within 5 minutes or so from the hotels, you can't go wrong at Metro 8 or Six Plates for a very nice dinner experience.

Rich
02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Welcome to DBR. Hope you enjoy the game!

Two best options on hotels (close to campus):

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rdufs-courtyard-durham-near-duke-university-downtown/
http://www.washingtondukeinn.com/

I'm staying at the Durham Marriott Convention Center, which is where I stayed last year and had a good experience. It's in downtown Durham and close to East campus and Ninth Street. It's more of a big hotel than the Courtyard, but the prices are about the same.

Rich
02-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Bullock's is still a Durham classic and you will never go wrong there. But, you have to try Backyard BBQ Pit #2 on Guess Road. LOVE the chopped BBQ, slaw and homemade mac & cheese. Elmo's is tough to beat, especially for breakfast.....Enjoy the trip and the game!

My buddy and I went to Backyard BBQ Pit #2 yesterday for a late lunch at about 2pm. The place was empty and, I have to admit, a bit weird looking. I guess the guy who worked there (the owner?) saw we were tentative because he said, "C'mon in. Don't be scared. The food is homemade and fresh." Other than the decor, we weren't disappointed. We both had the BBQ, sweet potato, and corn (sorry, not a mac-n-cheese guy). It was excellent and I would definitely go back. I was just sorry they were out of banana pudding, my favorite southern dessert. Thanks for the recommendation!

allenmurray
02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
My buddy and I went to Backyard BBQ Pit #2 yesterday for a late lunch at about 2pm. The place was empty and, I have to admit, a bit weird looking. I guess the guy who worked there (the owner?) saw we were tentative because he said, "C'mon in. Don't be scared. The food is homemade and fresh." Other than the decor, we weren't disappointed. We both had the BBQ, sweet potato, and corn (sorry, not a mac-n-cheese guy). It was excellent and I would definitely go back. I was just sorry they were out of banana pudding, my favorite southern dessert. Thanks for the recommendation!

A fair description - I should have warned you!

Verga3
02-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. I was in town earlier this week to grab an early dinner and there were only three people there (5:30pm). Was welcomed graciously and felt the family atmosphere again. The buffet was up and as usual the BBQ was great (with or without sauce), the fried cabbage awesome....sorry you're not a mac-n-cheese guy, but don't skip the yams!

Enjoy the game....Welcome back!

Rich
02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. I was in town earlier this week to grab an early dinner and there were only three people there (5:30pm). Was welcomed graciously and felt the family atmosphere again. The buffet was up and as usual the BBQ was great (with or without sauce), the fried cabbage awesome....sorry you're not a mac-n-cheese guy, but don't skip the yams!

Enjoy the game....Welcome back!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the hush puppies. Never seen them so big and round, but they were tasty.

The game was too disjointed and too much of a slugfest for my liking, but I guess that's to be expected with half the ACC these days. According to the box score over 50 fouls were called and we were joking that the game would go to 10pm. My buddy, who went to Florida and is a fan of old time basketball in general, loved the intimacy of Cameron and the Hall of Fame. I just felt that the Crazies had a hard time getting into their groove with all of the stoppages in play, which was too bad. All that being said, I'll take a 19 point ACC win any day.

Verga3
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the hush puppies. Never seen them so big and round, but they were tasty.

The game was too disjointed and too much of a slugfest for my liking, but I guess that's to be expected with half the ACC these days. According to the box score over 50 fouls were called and we were joking that the game would go to 10pm. My buddy, who went to Florida and is a fan of old time basketball in general, loved the intimacy of Cameron and the Hall of Fame. I just felt that the Crazies had a hard time getting into their groove with all of the stoppages in play, which was too bad. All that being said, I'll take a 19 point ACC win any day.

Thanks for mentioning the hushpuppies. As you say, they are big and tasty....and a little crunchy, very light inside.

Agree with your assessment of the game. All the whistles made things a bit choppy, but we'll take the ACC win any day! Glad you were able to share some old-style Duke/Tobacco Road basketball history with your Florida buddy.