PDA

View Full Version : Zeller Out Indefintely

dukelion
01-15-2010, 04:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/1888/north-carolina-loses-zeller-indefinitely

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2010, 04:32 PM
A bad season about to get lots worse. Will it match '01-'02? Guess it can't be that bad since they have already won more..but not after winning the NC.

Biscuit King
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
This would hurt Carolina a lot more if Zeller were actually as good a player as he was hyped to be. This kid was supposed to be the second coming of Hansbrough... and he's just a solid backup right now.

Nevertheless, it sucks for the kid; he seems like a nice enough guy, and he's had a lot of bad luck. Hope he gets back in time to lose to Duke at least once this year.

Duvall
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
A bad season about to get lots worse. Will it match '01-'02? Guess it can't be that bad since they have already won more..but not after winning the NC.

Doesn't hurt them as much as you would think; Zeller is their third-best player, but he was blocked by playing the same position as the two better players. Their season will still turn on whether they can get competent guard play out of Drew II and Strickland.

SCMatt33
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
That's just some bad luck for a kid who had to try and replace possibly their best player of all time, not I feel sorry for the team or anything, but it sucks for Zeller.

MChambers
01-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Poor kid can't catch a break. It's a shame. I hope he recovers quickly and avoids health issues the rest of his UNC career.

Bob Green
01-15-2010, 05:06 PM
That's just some bad luck for a kid who had to try and replace possibly their best player of all time, not I feel sorry for the team or anything, but it sucks for Zeller.

Wow, I didn't realize Zeller was a replacement for Michael Jordan.

BlueintheFace
01-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Jordan was not their best player of all time. I don't think he even comes in second.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2010, 05:10 PM
That's just flat out funny. While Zeller is not their best, he is height and a body, similar to Zoubek in years past. (Brian is much better this year and would eat Zeller for lunch now. He probably could eat Zeller for lunch, too.)

Bob Green
01-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Jordan was not their best player of all time. I don't think he even comes in second.

I agree with you, but was attempting to be funny. Jordan developed into an unstoppable force in the NBA but labeling Jordan Carolina's greatest player is revisionism at its finest. The '82 championship team was James Worthy's team. Jordan just scored the decisive basket in the win over Georgetown.

Bob Green
01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
That's just flat out funny.

Thanks! Usually my humor falls flat.

yancem
01-15-2010, 05:22 PM
I wonder if he wishes that he didn't comeback last year. If he ends up sitting out the rest of the acc schedule, that will be two years in a row. That extra year of eligibility might look pretty good by the end of the season. Of course playing in the national championship game was pretty nice as well.

oldnavy
01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Must be the shoes!

Bad break for Zeller and the holes, but I am not going to shed any tears for the baby blue - EVER. Here's hoping we can break Clemson's record for worst regular season loss for Huck!

roywhite
01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Must be the shoes!

Bad break for Zeller and the holes, but I am not going to shed any tears for the baby blue - EVER. Here's hoping we can break Clemson's record for worst regular season loss for Huck!

FWIW, some Carolina fans also seem to be wondering about the shoes and the prevalence of foot, ankle, and shin problems on the team. Certainly ironic if his Airness is somehow part of a problem situation for the light blue.

A-Tex Devil
01-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Zeller was by far Carolina's best player against Texas. I haven't seen much of him, but he was impressive in that game when the Texas front line pretty much emasculated Ed Davis and Deon Thompson.

Except for the injuries, give me Zeller over Zoubek on my front line seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Kid can play.

roywhite
01-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Zeller was by far Carolina's best player against Texas. I haven't seen much of him, but he was impressive in that game when the Texas front line pretty much emasculated Ed Davis and Deon Thompson.

Except for the injuries, give me Zeller over Zoubek on my front line seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Kid can play.

Other than looking like a young Dean Smith, I didn't find much to dislike about Zeller. Went about his business and was very productive, deserved more minutes IMO.

By the way, A-Tex, care to speculate on how the Devils match up with the Longhorns, or would in a couple months?

left_hook_lacey
01-15-2010, 06:45 PM

I totally agree. This is a bigger blow to Carolina than some people might realize. Even if he's coming off the bench, he's a 7 footer that can shoot from outside and run the floor to stretch defenses. He has better post moves that Z, more stamina, and is flat out quicker. Arguments on this board that some people would take Zoubek over Zeller are ridiculous IMO. Zeller's biggest weakness seems to be moving his feet on defense consistently, but he definitely has a bigger upside than Zoubek.

But at the very least, Zeller is a big body that can come in fresh of the bench for a team that likes to run. Roy thrives on using a deep bench, this is a big blow for them. Not saying it's going to ruin their season or anything, but it definitely makes righting the ship seem to be a more daunting task.

left_hook_lacey
01-15-2010, 06:52 PM

There's no way this year's UNC team is as bad as 01'-02'. They have a better coach, more talent, and a deeper bench. I don't know if they can ever have another season worse than 01'-02'.

I'm sure they're not done yet, they're just a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide team because of the youth and inexperience at the point. They are going to lose some games exactly like they did at Clemson where they look terrible, but they are also going to snake bite some teams, I just hope it's not us.

What really scares me, is that Strickland, a true freshman, is starting to look like he's the only one that is not playing scared for them right now. He is lightning quick and is starting to get a nose for getting to the rim. If Roy gets the rest of the team to start playing up to his speed and attitude, look out. Just sayin.

Inonehand
01-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Same thing happened against Booker, et al, when they played Clemson. Aggressive big men give them fits. Zeller is a huge loss.

shoutingncu
01-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Same thing happened against Booker, et al, when they played Clemson. Aggressive big men give them fits. Zeller is a huge loss.

Not that it would have likely mattered, but Zeller didn't play in that game. He might have helped with the pace of the game since he runs the floor well (when he's not injuring himself on it).

left_hook_lacey

What really scares me, is that Strickland, a true freshman, is starting to look like he's the only one that is not playing scared for them right now.

I've been silently hoping that Roy would replace Thompson and Ginyard in the starting line-up with Zeller and Strickland. You all start both your point guards with no ball handling on the bench... surely we can, too. I just don't know how Roy benches two seniors (maybe the Chronicle has some ideas? ;))

This is definitely a huge blow, but maybe Henson now sees some time at the four... and eats Zeller's meals.

Inonehand
01-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Not that it would have likely mattered, but Zeller didn't play in that game. He might have helped with the pace of the game since he runs the floor well (when he's not injuring himself on it).

This is definitely a huge blow, but maybe Henson now sees some time at the four... and eats Zeller's meals.

That was my point. Without him in there they were completely pushed around.

jipops
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
FWIW, some Carolina fans also seem to be wondering about the shoes and the prevalence of foot, ankle, and shin problems on the team. Certainly ironic if his Airness is somehow part of a problem situation for the light blue.

Maybe the issue is the shoe has problems supporting the heel.

groan

-bdbd
01-16-2010, 12:17 AM

Good zing Bob! Made me chuckle.
But I do have to agree that Jordon isn't even remotely their best player -- probably not top 5. Remeber the old saw:
Who's the one guy ever able to keep Jordan from averaging 20+ PPG?

And the answer is ..El Deano. Old, but so true.
He could have been sooo good if he'd just played somewhere else! ;) :eek:

My biggest concern about this Zeller thing - obviously bad luck for the poor kid - but this just gives the faithful heels a ready excuse to explain away (blame?) for the terrible season this squad was going to have anyway. At least they have some depth at his position, so likely only means 1-2 extra losses maybe (hardly to be distinguished in a season with so many others!). But just wait for the excuses to fly from Chapel Hill come mid-March! This one will be a mainstay.

:cool:

ricks68
01-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Older guys;

Billy Cunningham
Larry Miller
Charlie Scott
Lenny Rosenbluth
Others--you name them

ricks

MChambers
01-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Remeber the old saw:
Who's the one guy ever able to keep Jordan from averaging 20+ PPG?

And the answer is ..El Deano. Old, but so true.
He could have been sooo good if he'd just played somewhere else! ;) :eek:

I think the best version of the joke went like this:

Who's the greatest defensive coach of all time?

Dean Smith, because he's the only one who was able to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points a game.

camion
01-16-2010, 08:15 AM
Older guys;

Billy Cunningham
Larry Miller
Charlie Scott
Lenny Rosenbluth
Others--you name them

ricks
Phil Ford - He's been the butt of many jokes here, but he was scary good in college.

MarkD83
01-16-2010, 08:25 AM
But just wait for the excuses to fly from Chapel Hill come mid-March! This one will be a mainstay.

:cool:

As long as they are making excuses about losing to Duke I won't care.

slower
01-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Older guys;

Billy Cunningham
Larry Miller
Charlie Scott
Lenny Rosenbluth
Others--you name them

ricks

Let's see. MJ averaged 20PPG his last 2 seasons, was national player of the year his last (junior) season and probably would have repeated the honor his senior year. If MJ comes back for his senior year, I think the argument for these guys (and Hans) isn't as clear as so many seem to think it is. But of course, he didn't - so based on total career achievements, the argument still holds water.

But lots of folks talk like Jordan wasn't in the same league as the rest of these guys in college. As much as I despise him, dude was GREAT in college. The fact that he became immortal in the NBA shouldn't diminish his college greatness.

Listen, I hate the Holes, but I think there's just as much "reverse revisionist history" that goes on (by acting like he was in the second tier - or worse - of UNC all-timers) as stating that Jordan was UNC's greatest player ever. Gotta give the man his props.

CDu
01-16-2010, 09:30 AM
That was my point. Without him in there they were completely pushed around.

I'm not sure Zeller would have made any difference in terms of UNC getting pushed around by Clemson. He's pretty much a finesse player too, and not a fan of banging inside.

Their big problem was that everyone seemed to like to throw the ball away.

A-Tex Devil
01-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Other than looking like a young Dean Smith, I didn't find much to dislike about Zeller. Went about his business and was very productive, deserved more minutes IMO.

By the way, A-Tex, care to speculate on how the Devils match up with the Longhorns, or would in a couple months?

Texas is better than Duke. But if Duke plays good perimeter defense and can hold its own on the boards (say, like we did against UCONN), We can beat Texas.

My biggest fear against Texas is on the offensive end. When Texas wants to be, it's the best defensive team in the country. Balbay and Bradley are the best pair of defensive guards in the country, and all the big men can block shots.

The scary thing about Texas is that I don't think they have peaked yet.

Devilsfan
01-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Contrary to heel belief it's not the shoes, unless they're Jordan's, then maybe. It's the curse of the unsitely tie. Ol'roys' tie during the last game upset the team so much that they tried but couldn't quite set his all time turnover record of 26, narrowly missing and ending up with only 25 Come on heels you can do better than that. And roy please wear the tie when you come to Cameron and set your new turnover record infront of the Crazies.

oldnavy
01-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Contrary to heel belief it's not the shoes, unless they're Jordan's, then maybe. It's the curse of the unsitely tie. Ol'roys' tie during the last game upset the team so much that they tried but couldn't quite set his all time turnover record of 26, narrowly missing and ending up with only 25 Come on heels you can do better than that. And roy please wear the tie when you come to Cameron and set your new turnover record infront of the Crazies.

I noticed that tie, it reminded me of an oil slick.