PDA

View Full Version : Kevin White

Inonehand
01-15-2010, 09:30 AM
While I said earlier, this next hire for football would be the most important thing Kevin would do at Duke, up till now and for a long time (I hope), I believe keeping Cutcliffe should be considered a HUGE accomplishment. THe fact that a hiring process was not necessary shows his leadership is strong and we are in great hands.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-15-2010, 09:47 AM
While I said earlier, this next hire for football would be the most important thing Kevin would do at Duke, up till now and for a long time (I hope), I believe keeping Cutcliffe should be considered a HUGE accomplishment. THe fact that a hiring process was not necessary shows his leadership is strong and we are in great hands.

Amen! Sometimes being able to keep a really good coach is more important than bringing in another good one.

94duke
01-15-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm EXTREMELY happy that Coach Cut is staying!
But what did Kevin White have to do with keeping him?
It sounds like he is staying at Duke because UT wouldn't let him bring his whole staff.
It doesn't sound like Kevin White had anything to do with it.

jimhaughton
01-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Hooray!!Hooray!!! Coach Cutcliffe made my day!!!It is so refreshing to witness an event like this where money is not the "end-all"...As Julio said, "Coach seemed to be a GOOD man", and this certainly comes shining thru': loyalty to his "family" that is Duke University!!!..Kudos Coach...I just hope we love you as much as you love us....God Bless!!

duke79
01-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Yea, I'm not sure what Kevin White had to do with keeping Coach Cut. Maybe more news will come out about exactly what happened. Time will tell.

brianl
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm EXTREMELY happy that Coach Cut is staying!
But what did Kevin White have to do with keeping him?
It sounds like he is staying at Duke because UT wouldn't let him bring his whole staff.
It doesn't sound like Kevin White had anything to do with it.

I think it depends on how you interpret White's actions over Cut's tenure. It's obvious that Coach holds the members of his staff in high regard, most recently demonstrated by the addition of Knowles.

I would think that White's willingness to give Coach the staffing of his choosing is/was a big part in Cut's decision to stay. It didn't appear (through reading the various articles) that Mike Hamilton was as cooperative.

That being said, this is only speculation on Hamilton. I don't know what types of obligations he has with the existing staff at UT. My intention is not to cast him a poor light, but to show that White acted differently under similar circumstances.

On a side note, I met Coach Cut last year while he was in Richmond on the Athletics tour. I've mentioned before how genuine he seemed and a very likeable guy.

I'm looking at purchasing a larger block of season tickets this year and I think we can all show our support by our attendance and noise at WW in the fall.

Inonehand
01-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Yea, I'm not sure what Kevin White had to do with keeping Coach Cut. Maybe more news will come out about exactly what happened. Time will tell.

If he had left, Kevin would have taken some of the blame. In fact, on this board at least, he had already taken some when folks thought Cut was leaving (e.g. Kevin should have added a buyout clause when he extended Cut's contract). If Cut was not confident in Kevin White, and happy with his vision for this program and the freedom he allows, do you really think he would stay at Duke over Tennessee? Under any circumstance? My opinion, but I believe that answer is no.

Lauderdevil
01-15-2010, 11:46 AM
The story may come out as to why Cut stayed, but from a distance it seems significant that Cut specifically mentioned White in his statement -- he didn't have to do that. And for that matter, Coach K didn't have to mention White in his interview with Knight as one reason he stays at Duke, but he did. So whether it's specific steps White took in the last couple of days, or the environment he has created, it sure seems like he deserves some credit here -- and maybe a lot of credit.