PDA

View Full Version : How refreshing

rthomas
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Reese Davis and Coach Knight. Finally intelligence.

77devil
01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Reese Davis and Coach Knight. Finally intelligence.

Could not agree more. Revently caught part of an ESPN classic between Villanova and Georgetown in 1984. Vitale was the analyst and was totally different than what he has become. He was insightful and only talked about the action on the floor and was not bombastic. He wasn't the General by any means, but was a lot closer to Bobby Knight than his recent self.

JaMarcus Russell
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I think this might be the best duo for ESPN. Rece is very good as the lead broadcaster, and even Knight gave him some credit for understanding the nuances of the game. Knight is hands down the best analyst for ESPN. He understands the game of basketball better than anyone I have ever listened to. I learn new things from him all the time during games.

If he could have been as even-keeled while coaching, I could definitely see him still leading the Indiana Hoosiers to the NCAAs every year. He just let his temper get the best of him.

WiJoe
01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
early in the game, rece gave the score too much (hey buddy, it's not radio). But those two were pretty easy on the ears.

Son of Mojo
01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I'll agree with the group--really enjoyed hearing this duo broadcast the game. Any way we can influence the 4 letter network to do all of our games on their family of networks?

dukestheheat
01-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Bob Knight is the best announcer in the college game in my opinion. I feel like I'm sitting in a classroom when he's working the game, and what a breath of fresh air he is compared to the old(-er) guard, no doubt about it!

dth.

moonpie23
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
he's like hubie.....with less medication...

Lord Ash
01-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Coach Knight is so darn smart, and sees so much that most people don't. He does have a face for radio, though... he always looks SO annoyed!:) I think it is funny that he goes after the refs constantly, even after all these years away! He definitely has a lot of respect for Duke, and while he does seem to discuss Duke more than our opponents, that is GREAT for us!

Coach Knight DID say something, though, about the Duke staff after the game looking back and thinking that Andre should have gotten more minutes. Between that, and K saying after the last game that our guys were tired... man, they better not post on DBR saying that stuff!

:D

Good duo though.

BD80
01-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Coach Knight was very informative, and sounded much like a proud papa in the second half.

However, I don't think he spent any time analyzing BC's efforts, except as it pertained to what he was saying about Duke.

If I were a BC fan, I wouldn't think Bobby did that great a job.

snowdenscold
01-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I always learn quite a bit when Knight is announcing (I enjoyed Rece too). I hope we see (hear?) a lot more of them.

sagegrouse
01-13-2010, 10:27 PM
RMK quote of the night, making fun of his tendency to second guess officials while a coach:

"I can actually see plays better than the officials, even though they are closer."

sagegrouse

ChicagoCrazy84
01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
AMEN!! Bobby Knight is a great announcer and Reece Davis did a great job. I think Jay Bilas is right up there with Knight and I like Brad Daugherty as well. Dick Vitale is putrid and Mike Patrick is worse. They need to get Mike Patrick out of there fast!!

CameronBlue
01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I had thought that Knight would not be succinct enough to find the rhythm of color analysis, nor did I think he would be able to articulate more than a few Madden-esque sports cliches that I have no taste for. I expected a lot of anachronistic old-school "when I was coaching" blather from a coach long past his prime and completely out of touch with today's college b-ball culture. Knight might not identify with a lot of what surrounds the game, but his insights on game strategy, technique and fundmentals reminds me that the game is timeless. He outclasses every other analyst on the college level.

flyingdutchdevil
01-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Coach Knight is so darn smart, and sees so much that most people don't. He does have a face for radio, though... he always looks SO annoyed!:)

Hahahahahhaha!

If Knight found the cure for cancer, won a NCAA championship, got a new grandchild, and somehow played a real Jack Bauer all in the span of 24 hours, I think Knight would still look annoyed. I think it's just who he is ;)

oldnavy
01-14-2010, 07:04 AM
I agree, those two( Knight and Rese) are the best duo going. Knight is a bit of a homer or us, but I guess that is to be expected. He has to be very proud of K and what he has accomplished. Did you see the interview with K and Knight. Coach K still defers to the General even after all these years. I love to see that type of respect being shown to a mentor. Although their relationship has been strained in the past, it seems that they are good friends once again, which I am glad to see. I like Bobby Knight, but it was hard to like him while he and K were on the fritz.

bluepenguin
01-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Can't believe I would ever say that. But his commentating was incredibly inciteful - more so than any other color person I have heard in a long time, including Bilas.
Yeah, he is a bit of a homer for Duke, but at least he sounds intelligent when he does it and not Vitalesque.
But what really put me in the Knight camp was his pointing out bad calls by the refs going AGAINST Duke. Ever since Williams espoused the conspiracy theory, it seems like all announcers look for bad calls against opponents that go in Duke's favor, to support the argument that Duke gets all the calls. Knight pointed out several times when calls against BC were missed. And do you really think any other announcer would have said the T on Singler was a bad call?
Finally, someone in Duke's camp. Gotta love it.

NSDukeFan
01-14-2010, 09:24 AM
RMK quote of the night, making fun of his tendency to second guess officials while a coach:

"I can actually see plays better than the officials, even though they are closer."

sagegrouse

I quite enjoyed that line as well, and mentioned that on the chat during the game last night. I also enjoy listening to Knight broadcast games as well.

KShip21
01-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I wish K could use his power to pull strings and have Knight call all ESPN Duke games. Refreshing indeed. Its amazing how an announcer CAN actually talk about the game going on in front of him!!!

My personal favorite from last night. "Get up, get up, get up Zoubek. Play 7ft!!!!"

I find myself screaming this to the tv all the time, and it was great to hear someone actually say it....

cbnaylor
01-14-2010, 10:09 AM
I too enjoyed listening to the General last night. Like others, I learned something from Bobby which is hard to come by these days with announcers. I liked how he pointed out about Z and Plumlee bringing the ball down instead of keeping the ball up. "When you bring the ball down like that, you're playing at 6ft. instead of 7ft. Keep the ball up!"

trinity92
01-14-2010, 10:46 AM
My personal favorite from last night. "Get up, get up, get up Zoubek. Play 7ft!!!!"

And, contrary to my general picture of Coach Bobby, he was very gentle and encouraging when he said it. We should all try to use the same tone with Zoubek-- he is who he is, and he's busting his butt out there.

BlueDevilCorvette!
01-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Great thread...I was watching the game and thinking how easy it was to listen to Knight and how he was actually commenting on the game/players and not about the movie "Avatar" or something way out in left field (hey Avatar's a great movie though). I loved how he explained that a 7footer should never take the ball below his knees or like when Miles reduced his height by crunching down with the ball rather than keeping the ball chest high with elbows extended and going up strong! That's what I want to hear and that's what I want to see! Most of all I enjoyed not hearing about a particular school 8 miles down the road...blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada (like some commentators do when they suppose to be focusing on the Duke game). Good win for Duke!