PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe Staying! (Happy thread title change)

Pages : [1] 2

anon
01-13-2010, 06:25 PM
This has been thrown out there on ESPN today in light of Lane Kiffin to USC. Any indicators one way or another? He would likely have a pretty big buyout, but UT could handle it, right?

GDavidson
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
According to local TV reports Coach Cut has not been contacted yet.

formerdukeathlete
01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
This has been thrown out there on ESPN today in light of Lane Kiffin to USC. Any indicators one way or another? He would likely have a pretty big buyout, but UT could handle it, right?

A buyout might have been added with the extension. Original contract may not have had one at all.

Whatever it may be, UT can handle it, if they want to.

SoCalDukeFan
01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
It seems to me that when the Utenn AD fired Fullmer he wanted to go in a different direction. I don't think Cut was in the mix when Kiffen was hired.

Of course if the AD is canned and Fullmer hired as AD then I would see Cut getting a call.

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
It seems to me that when the Utenn AD fired Fullmer he wanted to go in a different direction. I don't think Cut was in the mix when Kiffen was hired.

Of course if the AD is canned and Fullmer hired as AD then I would see Cut getting a call.

SoCal
He's getting the call no matter who the AD is. All we can do is see how he answers the phone.

Sir Stealth
01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
He's getting the call no matter who the AD is. All we can do is see how he answers the phone.

Talking to Tennessee fans, I don't think that they appreciate Cutcliffe nearly as much as they should. I don't think we have anything to worry about, knock on wood. I predict they give Muschamp enough money to decide that he doesn't want to wait around for Mack Brown to retire.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Talking to Tennessee fans, I don't think that they appreciate Cutcliffe nearly as much as they should. I don't think we have anything to worry about, knock on wood. I predict they give Muschamp enough money to decide that he doesn't want to wait around for Mack Brown to retire.
From what I've read..Muschamp has already turned them down. UT will press him hard I'm sure, but I think he is staying with the Longhorns.

jafarr1
01-13-2010, 10:38 PM
It's looking uglier and uglier for Duke as the night goes on.

SoCalDukeFan
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM

I am guilty of wishful thinking.

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2010, 11:14 PM
http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1362&p=49998#p49998
Nothing official..but it's there.

arydolphin
01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Joe Schad, the ESPN reporter that broke the Kiffin-to-USC story on Twitter, just said on Sportscenter that Muschamp is UT's first choice, but Cutcliffe could be a "second choice" if they can't get Muschamp.

jafarr1
01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Joe Schad, the ESPN reporter that broke the Kiffin-to-USC story on Twitter, just said on Sportscenter that Muschamp is UT's first choice, but Cutcliffe could be a "second choice" if they can't get Muschamp.

That's pretty much the gist of it ... except for the "could be" part ... and there are now published reports saying Muschamp is staying put.

godukecom
01-14-2010, 12:10 AM
if cut leaves i may give up on Duke football...

DevilAlumna
01-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Is it time for a "Keep the Coach" campaign, along the same lines as when Coach K was being considered for the Lakers job?

DukeSean
01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Is it time for a "Keep the Coach" campaign, along the same lines as when Coach K was being considered for the Lakers job?

Can some undergrad write another emotional and moving letter, this time to Coach Cut?

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 12:27 AM
if cut leaves i may give up on Duke football...
OK...but you'll miss out on a great future. Cutcliffe is to be credited for what he has done on the field and off..but if he does leave, what he has started off the field won't change. I have no doubt that the athletic department will continue the excellence he has inspired, and that includes what goes on inside the gates of Wallace Wade as well as those of us who celebrate on Devil's Alley. Kevin White will, IF HE NEEDS TO, find a replacement who is just as determined to continue what Cutcliffe has started as Cutcliffe is himself..in fact it would not surprise me if the job goes to a current staff member. I hate writing posts like this, because there is too much unknown, but I will say I'm not worried. Due to a bizarre set of circumstances, David Cutcliffe has facing him the one job that would pull him away from Duke, only a year after he said he wasn't interested. Nobody expected the chance to come back up so soon, and if Tennessee is smart, and hires Fulmer as AD, power to him. Even if they retain their current moron of an AD, power to Cutcliffe. He has proven he can make a difference, and like Duke did two years ago, Tennessee needs something different now. I hope DC decides his job isn't done here, but if he does, I have no ill will. I've enjoyed Duke football more in the last two years than I can remember in a long time, and I go to games when I know misery awaits. If he's gone, and you take your fandom with him, fine. Don't come back. We are still dedicated to making football something special at Duke University and you will miss out.

godukecom
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
I have no doubt that the success may continue.

The larger problem, as stated on TDD tonight, is that as a fan I will have a very hard time trusting any coach again. Cut seems like the most genuine and honest coaches I have ever "met" (ok, I havent met him but you know what I mean). I would be so dissappointed and always worried about success making us lose a coach... and never completely trusting a coach's dedication to the program, no matter the amount of sunshine and rainbows he throws at us as fans.

I am a loyal Duke football season ticket holder. All I want is to trust that we can hold a successful caoch

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I have no doubt that the success may continue.

The larger problem, as stated on TDD tonight, is that as a fan I will have a very hard time trusting any coach again. Cut seems like the most genuine and honest coaches I have ever "met" (ok, I havent met him but you know what I mean). I would be so dissappointed and always worried about success making us lose a coach... and never completely trusting a coach's dedication to the program, no matter the amount of sunshine and rainbows he throws at us as fans.

I am a loyal Duke football season ticket holder. All I want is to trust that we can hold a successful caoch
I hear you there. As I stated...it's THE ONE set of circumstances that nobody could foresee, and the one set of circumstances that could pull him away. Even if the coach of Alabama woke up dead tomorrow and they called on Cut tomorrow to replace him, I'd see him saying "Thanks, but no, see you guys in September".

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I would like to hear something form Coach Cut even a "I haven't made a decision," but this silence makes me think a deal is in the works. As far as a coach staying for years and years, I just don't think that is the landscape. We can hope for a coach to come move the program along and then get another one to move it further and so on. I think the days of having a coach stay for years and years a la Coach Patterno are over. Then again, if Coach Cut leaves now it would sort of be like, "bye Coach, we hardly knew you."

GO DUKE!

-bdbd
01-14-2010, 01:02 AM
Hold on gang!

First, Cut hasn't been approached, and nobody in any authority at Tenn has even indicated he'd be even considered.

Second, I take him at face-value -- a high character guy with a vision for Duke football. Loyalty matters to him.

Three, the Administration has done largely everything he's asked for, which also creates loyalty, beyond just the players themselves.

Don't go handwringing and talking about "who will be the next coach," as odds are pretty good Coach Cut will once again be prowling the Duke sidelines this Fall. And with an enhanced image.

And maybe his contacts in SEC-land can help us bring in 1-2 of the Tenn-defecting kids as well. I note that several of the kids we are/did target had Tenn on their lists too....

I have faith in Cut and his staff.

:D:D:D:o

JaMarcus Russell
01-14-2010, 01:06 AM
I don't think there is too much of a reason to panic yet. Talking heads have mentioned seven or eight guys as potential replacements,including Troy Calhoun, David Cutcliffe, Jon Gruden, Kyle Whittingham, Randy Edsall, Mike Leach, and even Bob Stoops. This suggests that the talking heads are just mentioning feasible candidates to keep talking about this interesting story.

So far, all we really know is that Muschamp was definitely contacted and will probably not be coming to Knoxville.

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Hold on gang!

First, Cut hasn't been approached, and nobody in any authority at Tenn has even indicated he'd be even considered.

Second, I take him at face-value -- a high character guy with a vision for Duke football. Loyalty matters to him.

Three, the Administration has done largely everything he's asked for, which also creates loyalty, beyond just the players themselves.

Don't go handwringing and talking about "who will be the next coach," as odds are pretty good Coach Cut will once again be prowling the Duke sidelines this Fall. And with an enhanced image.

And maybe his contacts in SEC-land can help us bring in 1-2 of the Tenn-defecting kids as well. I note that several of the kids we are/did target had Tenn on their lists too....

I have faith in Cut and his staff.

:D:D:D:o

When it comes to Duke football I just figure the football Gods usually aren't looking after us. I will ALWAYS love Duke football and root for them team unabashedly with great passion. I just want good things and hope things work out for us.

Furthermore, Jon Gruden wouldn't be a horrible replacement for Coach Cut. I prefer Coach Cut, but what the hay. :-D

GO DUKE!

ricks68
01-14-2010, 02:33 AM
If you have never been to Austin to see Texas play, or haven't attended Texas, or have never even lived in Texas, I can understand the Muschamp speculation. While there is always debate over which school has the best football program over the years, etc., unless you have seen it up close, you have no idea what U of Texas is all about. The total fan support is unmatched anywhere. Just think about the population of the state, the number of student grads, and being the favored program of the state. Money has never been a problem, and will never be a problem, as long as oil is needed for the world. The UT endowment, I believe, surpassed Harvard years ago. Every year the football program gets millions and millions of dollars in donations for just a few alums. Then they get more from the rest. They have more football staff than other universities have football team members. Muschamp makes more money right now than most coaches. He has a sweet deal in writing for a boatload of guaranteed money. Forget the debate over which team is the best on the field every year, the Texas program is far and away superior to anythng else out there. If he were to leave to go to Tennessee, he would never be taken back. He's no fool. I am True Blue all the way, but gotta be honest about what I know.

Coach Cut, from what I've read, really likes Duke. He also has had health problems in the past that you would think could have logically contributed to his decision to no longer be associated with more stressful high profile programs. (Think Coach Meyer here.) He's no fool, either. I hope that this is what he's about.:)

ricks

Bob Green
01-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Michael Wilbon isn't doing us any favors:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=4823603

To paraphrase: "Tennessee should go get the guy from Duke, David Cutcliffe, a real coach....."

Hey, Wilbon, how about doing us Duke fans a favor and just SHUT UP! The last thing we need is the Cutcliffe to Tennessee proposal receiving props via the national media.

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't think a lot of people realize how terrible losing Cut at this stage in the game will be for the program. We're two weeks from national signing day. Every recruit that hasn't signed an LOI WILL leave. The coaching pool that Duke will have to choose from will be extremely limited and will probably be of Roof/Franks level. There would be serious trust and pessimism issues with the fans and players, those stadium improvements will probably be put on indefinite hold. You have to remember that perception is reality with a lot of people and if Duke couldn't hold on to what most think is the best thing for their program in forever, for more than two years, then the likelihood is Duke returns to the basement of 1-A. I think this could have far bigger ramifications than people realize.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I don't think a lot of people realize how terrible losing Cut at this stage in the game will be for the program. We're two weeks from national signing day. Every recruit that hasn't signed an LOI WILL leave. The coaching pool that Duke will have to choose from will be extremely limited and will probably be of Roof/Franks level. There would be serious trust and pessimism issues with the fans and players, those stadium improvements will probably be put on indefinite hold. You have to remember that perception is reality with a lot of people and if Duke couldn't hold on to what most think is the best thing for their program in forever, for more than two years, then the likelihood is Duke returns to the basement of 1-A. I think this could have far bigger ramifications than people realize.
So says the voice of Doom and Gloom. :p

rotogod00
01-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Word early this morning is that Muschamp might be sleeping on an offer. If he declines, reports suggest that Calhoun might be the leading candidate. Supposedly he was their second choice a year ago behind Kiffin.

A-Tex Devil
01-14-2010, 09:29 AM
If you have never been to Austin to see Texas play, or haven't attended Texas, or have never even lived in Texas, I can understand the Muschamp speculation. While there is always debate over which school has the best football program over the years, etc., unless you have seen it up close, you have no idea what U of Texas is all about. The total fan support is unmatched anywhere. Just think about the population of the state, the number of student grads, and being the favored program of the state. Money has never been a problem, and will never be a problem, as long as oil is needed for the world. The UT endowment, I believe, surpassed Harvard years ago. Every year the football program gets millions and millions of dollars in donations for just a few alums. Then they get more from the rest. They have more football staff than other universities have football team members. Muschamp makes more money right now than most coaches. He has a sweet deal in writing for a boatload of guaranteed money. Forget the debate over which team is the best on the field every year, the Texas program is far and away superior to anythng else out there. If he were to leave to go to Tennessee, he would never be taken back. He's no fool. I am True Blue all the way, but gotta be honest about what I know.

Coach Cut, from what I've read, really likes Duke. He also has had health problems in the past that you would think could have logically contributed to his decision to no longer be associated with more stressful high profile programs. (Think Coach Meyer here.) He's no fool, either. I hope that this is what he's about.:)

ricks

This is generally true, but like Duke, Texas has two funds -- Texas Exes, which is the equivalent of the Duke Alumni Association, and the Longhorn Foundation, which is like Iron Dukes.

The UT Athletic Dept cleared $80MM in revenues last year. Far and away the most profitable athletic deepartment in the nation. Mack Brown got a $2MM raise this year. It ticked off the academic crowd who protested to the university that the money should be going to academics -- as it is an academic institution. Frankly, they are mad at the wrong people. It's the donors they should yell out for giving money to the Ath Dept instead of the university. It's 2 different buckets. Texas Exes is also highly successful. But the "endowment" for the university is different from what makes the Ath Dept successful.

Also, and there was a national article about this recently, Texas has about a half dozen very mega-wealthy boosters as opposed to one (think Auburn, Okie Light, Big Red Autos in Norman, etc.) which actually HELPS Texas stay out of trouble.

Anyway, back to the main point, Ricks68 is absolutely correct. Muschamp will be leaving the best situation in college football if he can't remain patient and step in for Mack Brown. There is going to be pressure everywhere, but nowhere will have the resources in $$, recruits, fan support and exposure like he will at Texas. Not Notre Dame, not an SEC school. Nowhere. The fact that he turned down the fake UT last year gives me hope he won't make a mistake this year.

On a side note -- there is a lot of rancor in the Big XII. It is not a unified conference like the Big Ten or SEC. If Mizzou jumps to Big Ten in next few years, it will be interesting to see what Texas does. UT will have its own television station by 2012-2013ish. This is the one major pothole for the future of UT athletics.

diveonthefloor
01-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Kevin White would never allow that to happen.
First of all, Kevin will do what it takes to keep Cut at Duke....I think he will succeed in this....
But if for some reason Cut were to take the TN job, White will land an excellent coach.

CLT Devil
01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Coach Cut was very close to Fulmer, and he saw firsthand how they treated Phil when he was let go. Also, Cut just built a beautiful new house in Durham...hopefully a sign that he wants to put down roots and intends to stay for a while. Optimism.....

OTOH, he has not said 'no' in any definate manner.

For Duke, the ideal situation is for Cut to be offered the job and string them along for a day or two, turn down said job because 'Duke is a special place and great things are happening here..' or something to that extent. Him being in consideration for the job but not taking it would only help our recruiting, especially nationally. Personally, I think that Patterson at TCU might be their next choice after Muschamp, so hopefully it never gets to Cut.

My sources very close to the program don't know anything more than what is reported in the media, but they do say to expect a new TN coach by the weekend...let's hope its not Cutcliffe. He has done wonders for Duke already, and I can't wait until he gets some of his own players in Durham.

formerdukeathlete
01-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Kevin White would never allow that to happen.
First of all, Kevin will do what it takes to keep Cut at Duke....I think he will succeed in this....
But if for some reason Cut were to take the TN job, White will land an excellent coach.

If Harbaugh left Stanford today, most of their 2010 verbals would still matriculate to the school, would be my guess. Virtually all are very good students, and the school must have weighed heavily in decision making. The school renewed its commitment to Football with a new stadium. They are going to hire a good coach, etc.

If Cut leaves, I think we will lose recruits, but the better students may be more inclined to stick with Duke Football. Duke will hire a good coach - the money is there to do it. It was not before.

killerleft
01-14-2010, 10:58 AM
I think our football program takes a hit if Coach Cut leaves. That said, I expect Kevin White will come up with a fine coach to replace him.

Right now, I'm just seeing this in a positive light.

Coach Cutcliffe is going to be mentioned for other jobs for as long as the Duke program improves. Get used to it, 'cause we're gonna improve.

The biggest thing is this: if Coach Cut doesn't take (if offered) the Tennessee job, fans of Duke Football (and recruits!) will have solid evidence that we'll have a great coach for years to come. Like Galadriel when offered the Ring of Power in LOTR, Cut will have said, "I have passed the test." Unlike Galadriel, however, he can say, "I will flourish and stay at West Campus."!

Turning down the UT job might be a gold mine for Cut AND Duke.

Here's hoping.

killer "Do not let your hearts be troubled" left

Olympic Fan
01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Coach Cut was very close to Fulmer, and he saw firsthand how they treated Phil when he was let go.

I think you have targeted the key issue as far as Cutcliffe is concerned.

I know that a year ago when Tennessee hired Kiffin, Cut was NOT a candidate for the job. I'm not saying that Tennessee wouldn't have come calling if they had whiffed on Kiffin, but I know he took his name out of consideration before it came to that.

The big reason for that stance was the way Fulmer was forced out by Hamilton and th powers that be in Knoxville -- the same powers that were making the hire in 2008-9. Cut feels incredible loyalty to Fulmer and he wasn't going back to Knoxville to work for the scumbags who trashed the best coach in modern Tennessee history -- his friend and mentor.

Just imagine if Carolina had trashed Dean Smith on his way out and hired a sleazeball like John Calipari to replace him. After that blows up in a year, then they go try and hire Roy Williams ... you think he would have come in that circumstance?

The scariest part of the current Tennessee job search is the report that Hamilton called Fulmer to enlist his help in the search. I don't know what that came to or what Fulmer's response was. Some rumors that Fulmer will become AD ... or will patch his problems and take a consultant post with the Vols.

Of course, he may have told Hamilton to stick it where the sun never shines.

If Tennessee patches things up with Fulmer -- and I don't know that that has happened -- then I would be very frightened that Cut would go if offered. I think he would have a hard time telling Philip Fulmer no. If nothing really changed in the Fulmer-UT-Hamilton dynamic, then I would be confident that Cut was staying at Duke.

I'm not going to buy trouble. I'm going to believe that Cut will stay until he's gone (C-mon, Will Muschamp ... Mack just signed an extention until 2016, you don't want to wait that long to become a head man). If Cut does leave, I agree that it will be a major setback for our rebuilding program ... but I trust Kevin White to land a better coach than Franks/Roof -- it was the university's renewed commitment to supporting football that allowed Duke to land Cut in the first place and that's not going to change, even if he does leave for Tennessee.

alteran
01-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Michael Wilbon isn't doing us any favors:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=4823603

To paraphrase: "Tennessee should go get the guy from Duke, David Cutcliffe, a real coach....."

Hey, Wilbon, how about doing us Duke fans a favor and just SHUT UP! The last thing we need is the Cutcliffe to Tennessee proposal receiving props via the national media.

Mike Wilbon NEVER does us any favors, as far as I can tell. ;-)

Sweating bullets over here. Cut lived in Tennessee a long time.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 11:06 AM
WRAL says that as of now, Cutcliffe has not been contacted.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6807594/

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 11:23 AM

my wife's family is all about the Vols. When we hired Coach Cut, I told my father-in-law not to get too mad about stealing his OC. He said they needed new blood in there and was kind of glad to see Coach Cut move on.

I'm glad we have him. I hope he stays where he is and we achieve national prominence.

barjwr
01-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Furthermore, Jon Gruden wouldn't be a horrible replacement for Coach Cut. I prefer Coach Cut, but what the hay. :-D

Gruden said on Mike & Mike this morning that he is not interested in Tennessee--I doubt he passes on Rocky Top and accepts a job in Durham if Cut does go to Knoxville.

kexman
01-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I hope Coach Cut stays, but I would congratulate him if he takes the Tennessee job. A few years ago I would have been thrilled to think that OUR football coach was being courted by top SEC teams because he was SUCCESSFUL. He has turned our football program around and we should all be grateful. I was getting tired of firing unsuccessful coaches:)

Stray Gator
01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
WRAL says that as of now, Cutcliffe has not been contacted.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6807594/

I want Coach Cutcliffe to stay at Duke, too. But let's look more carefully at what that WRAL article reports:

Duke sports information director Art Chase told 99.9 The Fan ESPN Radio on Thursday morning that to his knowledge Tennessee has not yet contacted David Cutcliffe about the vacant head coaching position.

Chase said that he had not spoken with Cutcliffe about it yet this morning. The two did trade text messages on a different subject matter. But as of late Wednesday Chase confirmed that no contact had been made by Tennessee.

An ESPN report says that several members of the board of trustees at Tennessee have contacted former head coach Phillip Fulmer about returning as an athletics director or a head coach. If Fulmer were to land as an athletics director, it could increase Cutcliffe's (long time assistant to Fulmer) chances of heading back to Knoxville.

I don't question the veracity of the report that Tennessee has not spoken directly with Coach Cutcliffe. But I have no doubt whatsoever that Tennessee officials have spoken with Phil Fulmer, and that Fulmer has spoken with Cutcliffe--even if only to discuss potential scenarios and candidates.

Fulmer is a loyal and dedicated "Old Guard" Tennessee man. As an SEC football fan, albeit a rival of the Vols, I hope UT has learned its lesson and will make the effort to restore its proud traditions in college football. Bringing back Fulmer as AD would be a more-than-symbolic move in that direction. Unfortunately for Duke, though, Phil is going to want another established Tennessee guy at the wheel of the football program; and there's no one he trusts and respects for that role more than David Cutcliffe. While the Vol Nation is divided over whether Cutcliffe would be the right man for the job, I could see a guy like Fulmer making it a condition of his own return. My hope is that Cutcliffe will recognize that he does not need the extraordinary pressures that accompany the head coaching job at Tennessee, but can be happy and fulfilled here at Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
ESPN now reports that Tennessee HAS talked to Cutcliffe, and is pursuing him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4825513
Too many rumors to follow really, either way, I'm sure we'll know by tomorrow since they want a coach by Saturday.

oldnavy
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I think you have targeted the key issue as far as Cutcliffe is concerned.

I know that a year ago when Tennessee hired Kiffin, Cut was NOT a candidate for the job. I'm not saying that Tennessee wouldn't have come calling if they had whiffed on Kiffin, but I know he took his name out of consideration before it came to that.

The big reason for that stance was the way Fulmer was forced out by Hamilton and th powers that be in Knoxville -- the same powers that were making the hire in 2008-9. Cut feels incredible loyalty to Fulmer and he wasn't going back to Knoxville to work for the scumbags who trashed the best coach in modern Tennessee history -- his friend and mentor.

Just imagine if Carolina had trashed Dean Smith on his way out and hired a sleazeball like John Calipari to replace him. After that blows up in a year, then they go try and hire Roy Williams ... you think he would have come in that circumstance?

The scariest part of the current Tennessee job search is the report that Hamilton called Fulmer to enlist his help in the search. I don't know what that came to or what Fulmer's response was. Some rumors that Fulmer will become AD ... or will patch his problems and take a consultant post with the Vols.

Of course, he may have told Hamilton to stick it where the sun never shines.

If Tennessee patches things up with Fulmer -- and I don't know that that has happened -- then I would be very frightened that Cut would go if offered. I think he would have a hard time telling Philip Fulmer no. If nothing really changed in the Fulmer-UT-Hamilton dynamic, then I would be confident that Cut was staying at Duke.

I'm not going to buy trouble. I'm going to believe that Cut will stay until he's gone (C-mon, Will Muschamp ... Mack just signed an extention until 2016, you don't want to wait that long to become a head man). If Cut does leave, I agree that it will be a major setback for our rebuilding program ... but I trust Kevin White to land a better coach than Franks/Roof -- it was the university's renewed commitment to supporting football that allowed Duke to land Cut in the first place and that's not going to change, even if he does leave for Tennessee.

Heck Yea Roy would have taken the UNC job. It is essentially what did happen, except there was no intermediary sleaze ball. They did through Matt Doherty under the bus in a huge way. Roy had no qualms about coming in after that PR disaster.

Roy may not be the best example to use for this comparison. Cut's ego is about one nanoeth (is that a word?) the size of Ol Roy's.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2010, 12:31 PM
I want Coach Cutcliffe to stay at Duke, too. But let's look more carefully at what that WRAL article reports:

Duke sports information director Art Chase told 99.9 The Fan ESPN Radio on Thursday morning that to his knowledge Tennessee has not yet contacted David Cutcliffe about the vacant head coaching position.

Chase said that he had not spoken with Cutcliffe about it yet this morning. The two did trade text messages on a different subject matter. But as of late Wednesday Chase confirmed that no contact had been made by Tennessee.

An ESPN report says that several members of the board of trustees at Tennessee have contacted former head coach Phillip Fulmer about returning as an athletics director or a head coach. If Fulmer were to land as an athletics director, it could increase Cutcliffe's (long time assistant to Fulmer) chances of heading back to Knoxville.

I don't question the veracity of the report that Tennessee has not spoken directly with Coach Cutcliffe. But I have no doubt whatsoever that Tennessee officials have spoken with Phil Fulmer, and that Fulmer has spoken with Cutcliffe--even if only to discuss potential scenarios and candidates.

Fulmer is a loyal and dedicated "Old Guard" Tennessee man. As an SEC football fan, albeit a rival of the Vols, I hope UT has learned its lesson and will make the effort to restore its proud traditions in college football. Bringing back Fulmer as AD would be a more-than-symbolic move in that direction. Unfortunately for Duke, though, Phil is going to want another established Tennessee guy at the wheel of the football program; and there's no one he trusts and respects for that role more than David Cutcliffe. While the Vol Nation is divided over whether Cutcliffe would be the right man for the job, I could see a guy like Fulmer making it a condition of his own return. My hope is that Cutcliffe will recognize that he does not need the extraordinary pressures that accompany the head coaching job at Tennessee, but can be happy and fulfilled here at Duke.
As recently as late last night and early this morning, ESPN denied any contact with Phil Fulmer for any purpose.

arnie
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
ESPN is reporting that UT is going "hard" after Cut. I'm afraid its going to be hard for him to turn it down and history says most all coaches take the lucrative jobs. Hope Mr. White has some good ideas and if Cut leaves, we don't go after the Roof/Franks type candidates again.

cbnaylor
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Link?

arnie
01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Link?

Just caught it in on radio - apparently VolNation think a press conference will be this pm. Hope they are wrong, but ......

beach rev
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
The Knoxville News Sentinel is reporting that Troy Calhoun of The Air Force Academy has scheduled a team meeting at 5:30 today. According to the N-S, he was the runner-up for the job when Kiffin was hired.

beach rev
01-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Sorry about no link above. I'm link-challenged. Can somebody post one?

JasonEvans
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
The ESPN report says--

Sources told ESPN.com that Cutcliffe has talked with Tennessee officials, although he's not the only candidate the Vols are considering.

Air Force's Troy Calhoun and Louisiana Tech's Derek Dooley are two other coaches on Tennessee's list, and the Vols also might be interested in talking to Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.

My bet is that Tenn is looking at a number of different guys and is feeling each of them out. They clearly got snubbed by Muschamp and they probably want to be careful about offering the job to someone else who turns them down.

Cut is in the running. These are tense times for Duke fans. I think we will know in the next 24 hours.

-Jason "fingers crossed!" Evans

JasonEvans
01-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Sorry about no link above. I'm link-challenged. Can somebody post one?

Here it is. (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jan/14/calhoun-calls-team-meeting/)

blueprofessor
01-14-2010, 01:12 PM
ESPN now reports that Tennessee HAS talked to Cutcliffe, and is pursuing him.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4825513
Too many rumors to follow really, either way, I'm sure we'll know by tomorrow since they want a coach by Saturday.

Keeping my fingers crossed
Blueprofessor

beach rev
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Jason.

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Gruden said on Mike & Mike this morning that he is not interested in Tennessee--I doubt he passes on Rocky Top and accepts a job in Durham if Cut does go to Knoxville.

Hi,

That was meant as both a joke and to remind folks there are other coaches out there. I too am pretty sure Jon wouldn't come here. I think he would go to The Ohio State University if they came calling, but that is not likely given their coach is doing well.

GO DUKE!

Olympic Fan
01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Heck Yea Roy would have taken the UNC job. It is essentially what did happen, except there was no intermediary sleaze ball. They did through Matt Doherty under the bus in a huge way. Roy had no qualms about coming in after that PR disaster.

Roy may not be the best example to use for this comparison. Cut's ego is about one nanoeth (is that a word?) the size of Ol Roy's.

I don't think you are reading what happened at UNC right. In the first place, Dean is the equivilent of Fulmer (at least to the Vols) and NOBODY at UNC trashed Dean or forced him out before he was ready. He left on his own terms and hand-picked his successor. And while a lot of UNC fans grumbled about Gut, he also left on his own terms, never losing the support of the administration or the big-money guys.

They did throw Matt under the bus, but even though he was a UNC guy, the perception was that he had betrayed the UNC "family." Not only did he allegedly abuse players, he fired a number of long-time UNC basketball secretaries ... he pushed people close to Dean and Gut away from the program (moving both of them to the basement) and he ended up alienating most of the school's former players (even his ex-teammate, MJ, ended up hating him). We all remember the famous introductory press conference when Dean trashed Matt.

Doherty was the equivilent of Lane Kiffin.

Roy arrived to restore Dean's legacy. None of the people who hired him (either administrators or boosters) had trashed Dean.

Coming back was easy for Roy (ego or not). I stand by the comparison -- IF UNC had trashed Dean, he would not have come back.

And I repeat my main point -- if Fulmer calls, Cut will have a hard time saying no. If he remains on the outside, then Cut will stay at Duke.

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi,

Let's say the Vols get Cut. Would it be possible for Duke to then get Air Force football coach Troy Calhoun? In other words, would going form Air Force (Mountain West?) to Duke (ACC) if the money were the same be even a remote possibility?

GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I have more faith and excitement in Duke football than I have in 25 years, and the lion's share of the credit goes to Coach Cut. He has been a man who stresses loyalty, commitment, and the excellent opportunities that are at Duke. Duke, in return, seems deeply committed to him and to letting him build his program his way. Duke won't run him off if he "only" goes 8-4 and "only" goes to an early bowl.

Cut will be at Duke next year.

(Please, Coach, please!)

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't think you are reading what happened at UNC right. In the first place, Dean is the equivilent of Fulmer (at least to the Vols) and NOBODY at UNC trashed Dean or forced him out before he was ready. He left on his own terms and hand-picked his successor. And while a lot of UNC fans grumbled about Gut, he also left on his own terms, never losing the support of the administration or the big-money guys.

They did throw Matt under the bus, but even though he was a UNC guy, the perception was that he had betrayed the UNC "family." Not only did he allegedly abuse players, he fired a number of long-time UNC basketball secretaries ... he pushed people close to Dean and Gut away from the program (moving both of them to the basement) and he ended up alienating most of the school's former players (even his ex-teammate, MJ, ended up hating him). We all remember the famous introductory press conference when Dean trashed Matt.

Doherty was the equivilent of Lane Kiffin.

Roy arrived to restore Dean's legacy. None of the people who hired him (either administrators or boosters) had trashed Dean.

Coming back was easy for Roy (ego or not). I stand by the comparison -- IF UNC had trashed Dean, he would not have come back.

And I repeat my main point -- if Fulmer calls, Cut will have a hard time saying no. If he remains on the outside, then Cut will stay at Duke.

In my humble opinion Matt Doherty was not as bad as Lane Kiffin. He might have been mean to people (perhaps he stepped over the line and was uber-abusive?) and tried to stake out his own turf, but I don't think he improperly called recruits or was involved in any NCAA violations (was he?). Doh just seemed like a creep (aren't most UNC people when you get right down to it :D ?).

GO DUKE!

Wildcat
01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I believe this is the place for him. Furthermore, I would be shocked if he went. UT comes with an enormous amount of pressure and expectations. A couple of bad losses; not so great a season, and suddenly you'll find yourself in the hotseat. Not nearly the patience he'll have from the good folks here in Durham. I say he stays.

PDDuke85
01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Hoping the reports of AF coach Troy Calhoun meeting with his team this afternoon has nothing to do with preparing his squad for an upcoming open ranks inspection.

In David I still trust

Atldukie79
01-14-2010, 02:12 PM
It was about 20 years ago that Duke football had some success (A bowl game in Birmingham) and a short tenured Duke coach (Spurrier) got a call from the SEC school wherre he had deep roots.

ANd now the short tenured Duke coach with some success is probably getting a call from the SEC school where he has roots.

There was no DBR back in the day, but there was much nashing of teeth and debate (the old fashion way...face to face). Many gave powerful arguments why Spurrier would stay. Others were convinced he would go. Of course he left...some would accuse him of checking out mentally before coaching Duke in an ugly game. (Duke was unprepared for the bowl game).

There are differences...Spurrier was young and rising. Cut is, shall we say, more mature. That may impact his decision. But the allure of "home" can be strong.

I am experiencing deja vu "all over again" and it is not fun.

Stray Gator
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Bad news (if you believe it): Vol fans were reporting earlier today that news was getting out that Calhoun was going to be the hire, but the latest word is that he has decided to stay at AF.

Good news (if you believe it): Vol fans are convinced their AD is using rumored interest in Cutcliffe as a smoke screen to cloak the real search for a younger "rising star."

Stay tuned... :rolleyes:

DukeSean
01-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Here is the link about Calhoun as new UT coach:

http://digitalsportsdaily.com/college-football/18604

breathing sigh of relief

diveonthefloor
01-14-2010, 02:18 PM
For what it's worth (maybe not much), the main TN Vols message boards are burning up over the past 15 minutes with reports of Troy Calhoun accepting the TN job. Apparently some radio hosts are receiving text messages from folks in the AD office at TN. Also reporting that the TN AD's airplane is scheduled to travel to Colorado Springs today and return late afternoon.

www.volsnation.com

BlueintheFace
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow, Cutcliffe not getting hired= Cutcliffe turning down the job

Talk about solidifying your fan base support.... Way to Go Cut

formerdukeathlete
01-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi,

Let's say the Vols get Cut. Would it be possible for Duke to then get Air Force football coach Troy Calhoun? In other words, would going form Air Force (Mountain West?) to Duke (ACC) if the money were the same be even a remote possibility?

GO DUKE!

Calhoun would be the best candidate for the duke job, absolutely
the best. He declined interest in the duke job before. But now with the practice facility coming on line, and k white, it might be different this time. Calhoun
may be tn"s choice, however. Duke recruiting would be improved
with Calhoun"s contActs.

DukeSean
01-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Wow, Cutcliffe not getting hired= Cutcliffe turning down the job

Talk about solidifying your fan base support.... Way to Go Cut

Yea I would have to suspect that Cut was offered the job, but probably in the midst of weighing his decision (in light of his self-proclaimed commitment to the Duke program), Calhoun jumped on his offer.

BlueintheFace
01-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Yea I would have to suspect that Cut was offered the job, but probably in the midst of weighing his decision (in light of his self-proclaimed commitment to the Duke program), Calhoun jumped on his offer.

I don't think this is like recruiting basketball players where you keep out two offers at the same time. I think they went from Muschamps, to Cut, to Calhoun.

Ima Facultiwyfe
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Assuming all this good news is true.........let's every single one of us get our butts into seats in WW next year!!!! And not only that, let's be LOUD about it!!!! And that goes for students, too!!!
Love, Ima

jafarr1
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not believing anything until an announcement is made. The Calhoun news largely centers on speculation regarding a team meeting scheduled for this afternoon, a meeting that some say was set last night (too early to be a UT announcement) regarding the Air Force DC moving to Texas A&M (a good reason for the meeting).

It's all a bunch of noise right now.

MulletMan
01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Here is the link about Calhoun as new UT coach:

http://digitalsportsdaily.com/college-football/18604

breathing sigh of relief

Regardless of what Twitter says, there is nothing but a blank screen at that link.

Jaymf7
01-14-2010, 02:51 PM
See comments from Fulmer:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4825912
Who does that sound like?

There are differences...Spurrier was young and rising. Cut is, shall we say, more mature. That may impact his decision. But the allure of "home" can be strong.

I suppose he could be talking about a number of guys, and I still think Cut's record over the past 2 years (while part of a major rebuilding effort) will be too much of a hurdle for the UT boosters. Let's hope.

MulletMan
Regardless of what Twitter says, there is nothing but a blank screen at that link.

In fact:bad news for Duke (http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011410aaa.html)

roywhite

I did see the linked article...not able to get it now.

Change? Server crashed from crazy Vols (and Duke) fans?

MulletMan
01-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I did see the linked article...not able to get it now.

Change? Server crashed from crazy Vols (and Duke) fans?

No. The server was working just fine, there was just nothing on the page once it loaded. Clearly it was taken down as you can see from the link I posted above.

spinoza
01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Calhoun staying at Air Force

"We are more than grateful and proud to be closely involved with the character building of our cadets and the mission of the United States Air Force Academy. We are diligently recruiting and working with our team to prepare for the upcoming season. We look forward to coaching and being a part of the Air Force Academy team both on and off the field in 2010."

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011410aaa.html

roywhite
01-14-2010, 02:56 PM
No. The server was working just fine, there was just nothing on the page once it loaded. Clearly it was taken down as you can see from the link I posted above.

yeah, saw that right after I posted. :(

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 02:57 PM
Calhoun staying at Air Force ??

"We are more than grateful and proud to be closely involved with the character building of our cadets and the mission of the United States Air Force Academy. We are diligently recruiting and working with our team to prepare for the upcoming season. We look forward to coaching and being a part of the Air Force Academy team both on and off the field in 2010."

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011410aaa.html
Well that sucks. It's all on Cutcliffe now.

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
He's gone, we're done. Time to call Al Golden I guess.

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Hi,

Now we will know, does he want to be at Duke or not?

GO DUKE!

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi,

Now we will know, does he want to be at Duke or not?

GO DUKE!
I'm not sure that's a fair way to look at it. As I've stated before in this thread, this is the only scenario I could see him leaving.

spinoza
01-14-2010, 03:02 PM

Could we ever offer anything near his potential TN salary ?

roywhite
01-14-2010, 03:05 PM
If we see Coach Cut on a video about to use a Skype phone to make an announcement....bad news.

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure that's a fair way to look at it. As I've stated before in this thread, this is the only scenario I could see him leaving.

Hi,

This is a football program that has been cursed since it decided NOT to go to a bowl game way back when. The team voted not to go and things have been bad ever since. Coach Cut might only leave for one program, but that one program has come a calling. Second place is not so good in these situations. Don't forget we have recruits too. Some will also go elsewhere if Coach Cut leaves. Sigh. Guess we will have to wait and see what transpires.

GO DUKE!

jv001
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Kiffin is right up there with unc tarholes(hate poll) for putting us in this situation. Go Duke!

DukeSean
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

Wow, a complete 180 degree update to what they had posted earlier.

sweating again

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Kiffin is right up there with unc tarholes(hate poll) for putting us in this situation. Go Duke!

Try Pete Carroll or the Seahawks. If he never takes this job, we don't lose our coach.

jv001
01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Try Pete Carroll or the Seahawks. If he never takes this job, we don't lose our coach.

Coach Cut would not be considering USC or USC considering Coach. Go Duke!

spinoza
01-14-2010, 03:18 PM
...would TN consider Mike Leach, or maybe he is better suited for ECU ?...

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Coach Cut would not be considering USC or USC considering Coach. Go Duke!

Carroll is the one who started this whole chain of events when he took the Seattle job. I don't need to detail this out do I?

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Carroll is the one who started this whole chain of events when he took the Seattle job. I don't need to detail this out do I?

The dominoes fell thanks to Pete staying one step ahead of the NCAA. sigh. Does this sort of mean we need to blame all of this on the NCAA investigating Reggie Bush et al? :D

GO DUKE!

snowdenscold

You could blame Mora for sucking...

jv001

And you can layoff the smart aleck remarks. Go Duke!

MulletMan
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Possible Cutty statement soon (http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2010/1/14/1251573/source-david-cutcliffe-to-release)

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
And you can layoff the smart aleck remarks. Go Duke!

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but if we're going to scapegoat Fast Lane for going to USC (and essentially doing what Cut may be doing, taking his dream job) then we may as well go to the source. Remember, UNC thought about hiring Carroll after his stint with the Pats. We should have known then he was no good and would ultimately do something to bite us.

jv001
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but if we're going to scapegoat Fast Lane for going to USC (and essentially doing what Cut may be doing, taking his dream job) then we may as well go to the source. Remember, UNC thought about hiring Carroll after his stint with the Pats. We should have known then he was no good and would ultimately do something to bite us.

Now that I agree with. Carroll's just getting out of town before the hammer comes down on USC. Only wish it could have been unc. Go Duke!

juise
01-14-2010, 03:29 PM
You could blame Mora for sucking...

Or for saying that he would take the U-Dub job when it wasn't even available and Atlanta planned (or so they say) to keep him for the long-term.

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
This is not a good sign:

goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22665)

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
This is not a good sign:

goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22665)

Too much to hope that this is a website error, right? Jeez, when do the hits stop coming? When does something go our way for once?

diablesseblu
01-14-2010, 03:32 PM
This is not a good sign:

The pages are like that for all of the teams whose seasons have been completed.

Greg_Newton
01-14-2010, 03:33 PM
This is not a good sign:

There are a fair amount of bad signs here, but I don't think that's one. Unless Cutcliffe is taking the entire football team along with his entire staff :rolleyes:: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

ETA: Sources saying Cut met with our AD this morning, and will be meeting with UT's AD this afternoon. http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11823727

pratt '04
01-14-2010, 03:41 PM
This is not a good sign:

I know for a fact that the site looked like this before Kiffin even took the USC job because I happened to look at that page the previous day. So nope, not a sign at all.

killerleft
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
This is not a good sign:

Y'all quit making stuff up!;)

MulletMan
01-14-2010, 03:43 PM
There are a fair amount of bad signs here, but I don't think that's one. Unless Cutcliffe is taking the entire football team along with his entire staff :rolleyes:: http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

Agreed... we also don't have a schedule up for next season.

Duvall
01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Agreed... we also don't have a schedule up for next season.

OH MY GOD WE'RE CANCELLING THE PROGRAM.

eep.

jv001
01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
OH MY GOD WE'RE CANCELLING THE PROGRAM.

eep.

I needed that. lol
Go Duke!

Devil07
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Who knows if this is true or not, but a Knoxville tv station is reporting that UT's AD is meeting with Cut this afternoon: http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=11823727

Bluedog
01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Source: David Cutcliffe to release statement soon (http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2010/1/14/1251573/source-david-cutcliffe-to-release)

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
touche. i didn't do enough research on the site. My emotions got the best of me.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
After watching the media and boards after Pete Carroll left USC, I would stay calm regarding the UT reports and Coach Cut.

Reports here were that Mike Riley, Jack del Rio, Steve Mariuchi, Tony Donghy, and a few others had agreed to the USC job. On a radio sports show on the same station that carries USC football I heard the guy say that one guy who would not get the job was Lane Kiffin, because of his rep. Hours later Kiffin got the job.

SoCal

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Hi,

It gives me hope for the future that so many people care about Duke football. I remember flying out to Durham many years ago on a plane with fellow Dukies who couldn't care any less about football. I would talk about it and they would talk about the success of the basketball team. I would say that we could have success in both and they were like, "Who cares?" So I am glad the culture is changing such that people care!

GO DUKE!

GADevilFan
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I couldn't find anything new on espn.com. One way or the other, this is going to develop FAST ... UT wants a coach in place yesterday.

I believe that of the current Duke assistants were with Cut at Ole Miss ... and would most likely move again to Knoxville. Make no mistake, this would be a disaster. PLEASE stay.

JasonEvans
01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
ESPN lists 4 names... (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/8217/calhoun-out-of-the-tennessee-mix)

Duke's David Cutcliffe remains in the thick of the Vols' search, which could be wrapped up as early as Thursday night or Friday morning. Louisiana Tech's Derek Dooley is also on the list, while two others Tennessee has shown interest in are Utah's Kyle Whittingham and Temple's Al Golden.

--Jason "please let it be someone else!" Evans

JasonEvans
01-14-2010, 04:10 PM
I believe that of the current Duke assistants were with Cut at Ole Miss ... and would most likely move again to Knoxville. Make no mistake, this would be a disaster. PLEASE stay.

A friend of mine sent me a tweet from a Knoxsville sportscaster who said:

wesrucker: Hearing David Cutcliffe would want to bring his whole staff to the Vols. I'm not sure Hamilton would like that.

--Jason "I wonder if Scotty Montgomery would stay" Evans

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
A friend of mine sent me a tweet from a Knoxsville sportscaster who said:

--Jason "I wonder if Scotty Montgomery would stay" Evans

Scotty Montgomery is the only staff member Coach Cutcliffe didn't bring with him. All the rest have been part of the Ole Miss staff at one time or other.

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
do we know how many of the assistants at UT are still there? I know kiffin took Orgeron and Monte...

91devil
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Greensboro station saying Coach Cut has decided to leave.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local_state/article.aspx?storyid=135820

MulletMan
01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Scotty Montgomery is the only staff member Coach Cutcliffe didn't bring with him. All the rest have been part of the Ole Miss staff at one time or other.

Uh oh
Please be false. (http://www.wbir.com/)

Greg_Newton
01-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Dear lord. At least... the links in the previous two posts are coming from the same single root source, who I pray is misinformed. Not looking good.

kellsie16
01-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I think Carl Franks is available again since Holtz was announced at USF.

"AIRBORNE DUKE!"

UrinalCake
01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Uh oh
Please be false. (http://www.wbir.com/)

Interesting how the Vols fans commenting on that article don't seem to WANT Cutcliffe

barjwr
01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
NBC Knoxville (WBIR) reporting Cutcliffe is the new UT coach.

http://www.wbir.com/

Ugh.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Dear Tennessee,
Thanks for letting us borrow David Cutcliffe.
--CB&B

towerview road
01-14-2010, 04:25 PM
The fans on Vol Nation (their big sports forum) REALLY don't want Cutcliffe, pretty unilaterally across the board. They don't think he's good enough, can recruit enough, has enough energy, or is healthy enough. In fact, many of them are posting that they will give up their season tickets and never show up in their stadium ever again if they hire Cut.

I will be SOOOOOOOO sad if Cutcliffe leaves Duke. I've met the guy - super nice, really honest and solid.

Ironic and terribly depressing that the only job he'd ever leave Duke for - UTenn - is now open ;/

wilko
01-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Dear Tennessee,
Thanks for letting us borrow David Cutcliffe.
--CB&B

Oh well... he left us better than he found us, just like he said..
Good Luck and God bless.

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
All of my in-laws are UT people and they were glad when Cut came to Duke citing the need for "new blood".

Vincetaylor
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Well it was fun to pretend for a couple years that we could actually have a legit football program. This is terrible, but you can't blame Cut. This is the best job opportunity of his career. Which of you wouldn't have done the same thing?

Greg_Newton
01-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Again, ALL of these reports are still coming from the same "source". It may very well be true, but we're not hearing it from multiple places yet.

If it is, we'll be here waiting in 2 years when they run you out, Cut! :rolleyes:

jv001
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
The fans on Vol Nation (their big sports forum) REALLY don't want Cutcliffe, pretty unilaterally across the board. They don't think he's good enough, can recruit enough, has enough energy, or is healthy enough. In fact, many of them are posting that they will give up their season tickets and never show up in their stadium ever again if they hire Cut.

;/

Boy are those fans going to be pleasantly surprised. Go Duke!

UrinalCake
01-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow, this is like one of our crazy recruiting threads, only the opposite.

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
found this quote on wral

Tee Martin, the quarterback who won a national title for the Volunteers, told The Fan's Mark Thomas and Mike Maniscalco Thursday that Cutcliffe is exactly what Tennessee needs. Martin also told Mark and Mike that he still talks to Cutcliffe on a regular basis.

“I know what coach Cutcliffe is. Everywhere he has been he has been successful and he knows what it takes to win," Martin said. "One thing about him is he will be a guy that is going to be there for the long term. He’s not a guy looking to jump around and move his family to five or six other places. He wants to be somewhere where he can be there for a long time and people can trust David Cutcliffe. That’s what Tennessee needs right now.”

seems to me if he's a guy going to be there for the long term, he'll stay at Duke. That quote is so counter-intuitive. It's EXACTLY what Duke needs and wants

bigj4194
01-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, this is like one of our crazy recruiting threads, only the opposite.

EVERYONE FREAK OUT...then go back to work...THEN FREAK OUT AGAIN when there is another rumor from a "source" :D:D:D:D

DukeBlueNikeShox
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
I hope Duke goes after Ken Avent, Jr!

Scorp4me
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Cut wanted his staff put back together and Duke made/allowed that happen. I just don't see that being an option at TN. Even if it is does the entire staff want to pull up stakes so soon after settling in. I suppose he may leave, but it'll definitely not be as good of a situation. How nice is that to be the case =)

SharkD
01-14-2010, 04:47 PM
I hope Duke goes after Ken Avent, Jr!

Whereas, I hope that Coach Cutcliffe retains an @duke.edu email address for at least another year (hopefully 15-20 years).

beachdevil
01-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Coach photos back up on site ! Hopefully we're putting up a good fight.

jlear
01-14-2010, 04:53 PM
DTsportsRyan VolQuest.com reports Cutcliffe is denying that he has accepted the job.

Link (http://twitter.com/search?q=-RT%20%23vols%20Cutcliffe)

jv001
01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Come on Mr. White, give Cut a deal he can't turn down. Go Duke!

peloton
01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow, the thought of Coach Cutcliffe leaving Duke is very disheartening. I sure hope that Kevin White, Cut's wife, his 4 children, his daughter-in-law, and any family pet(s) can convince him to remain at Duke. He (still) seems to be the perfect fit for the football program. Oh well, if he does succumb to the temptation of heading back to Tennessee, I'll wish him the best...but man, will I be disappointed.

soccerstud2210
01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
FWIW

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jan/14/source-cutcliffe-has-not-been-hired-ut/

not yet!

Greg_Newton
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
And apparently, some radio station reported that Cut turned down UT and is staying at Duke. This means there are "sources" currently:

A) Confirming Cut to UT.

B) Confirming Cut declined UT to stay at Duke.

C) Confirming a deal is still possible but nothing has happened.

Hmmm.

beachdevil
01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Blue Devil Nation is reporting that Cutcliffe has accepted the UT job. Lots of rumors but silence from Cutcliffe isn't good.

Lord Ash
01-14-2010, 05:08 PM
If he does go... well, I'll refrain from saying anything until it is confirmed.

peloton
01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
...in other words, there's a lot of educated guesses re:this. Hopefully there will be some official word either way very soon.

CameronBornAndBred
I need to go to sleep and wake up on Sunday..that way I won't get caught up in the rumor mill, and the next story I read will be fact.

PumpkinFunk
Blue Devil Nation is reporting that Cutcliffe has accepted the UT job. Lots of rumors but silence from Cutcliffe isn't good.

I wouldn't take BDN as the gospel until we know there's a legitimate source at this point. "Sources" have told media outlets that he took the job, then that he was still negotiating, and now that he's not taking the job. I'm gonna wait for a press release or press conference. Or, alternatively, I'll wait for some mainstream media outlets to cover the story.

Devil07
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Referenced above but here's the link: http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/01/cutcliffe-seems-bound-for-tennessee/

I don't put much faith in the previous reports but have a hard time discounting Watzone

Scorp4me
01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
I think it's looking more and more like educated guesses at this time. I think that's good a good sign. Always bothers me when people complain that someone isn't saying they aren't doing something soon enough. Has the job really changed that much from last year when he didn't want to leave?

Gargoyle
01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6809581/

Devil07
01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Has the job really changed that much from last year when he didn't want to leave?
At first glance you'd think not, but I do think that it makes a big difference that last year he'd be replacing his good friend Fulmer (who was some might argue unjustly forced out) and this year Fulmer is helping in the search. I think for Cut that would be a real big difference.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Everyone seems to think that Kiffin is a rat for deserting UTenn after one year.

Is Cut a rat for deserting Duke after only two years? Is there really much of a difference?

Was Kevin White's last football coaching hire Charlie Weis?

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Is Cut a rat for deserting Duke after only two years? Is there really much of a difference?

SoCal
No. Unlike Kiffin, Cutcliffe actually accomplished something at Duke, and if he leaves he is leaving it better than when he got here.

DukeSince'77
01-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Weis....

now I'm feeling better...(not)

Scorp4me
01-14-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=110646&catid=2#comments

This site earlier reported Cut to UT but has now changed it. I post it because according to the article their contributor claims to have personally spoken to Cutcliffe and denied taking the job. In addition the article I believe claims that Cutcliffe is UT's third choice behind Calhoun and Muschamp. Add that to the large number of UT fans who don't want him back and it's not exactly an alluring homecoming for Cutcliffe.

BamaBlueDevil
01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
. . . between Coach Cut and Kiffin, but the contrasts are stark.

cato
01-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I wouldn't blame the guy for leaving for greener pastures, but you can't avoid the fact that he would be doing just that: leaving Duke for the first better offer that came along. And, frankly, without Cutcliffe, I don't see how Duke is much better off than before.

Duvall
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Everyone seems to think that Kiffin is a rat for deserting UTenn after one year.

Of course there is. Kiffin was a better recruiter.

DukeSince'77
01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
I want K White to have the same sense of urgency that UT has had in finding a replacement if it comes to that.

Vincetaylor
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM

SoCal

I hope you're kidding about the Kiffin/Cut comparison. Give me a break. Kiffin cheated at UT, didn't improve the program at all, and is leaving a really good football program for a really, really good football program. Cut did/does everything right at Duke, improved the program significantly, and would be going from a weak football program to a really good football program. You can't fault a guy for taking a huge promotion when he deserves it and has done everything the right way.

Sir Stealth
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I have been very surprised ever since we hired Cut how much the Tennessee diehards that I know just aren't that impressed with him, even though the program won a championship with him, then fell way down after he left, then recovered when he came back. His accomplishments at Ole Miss and Duke are dismissed as well. It would be pretty crappy if Cut left and both fanbases were disappointed - hopefully the lukewarm reception will sway him towards staying. If it comes out that Tennessee did make him a formal offer and he turned them down for Duke, that would look great for us and would only strengthen the legitimacy of our football program and the Cutcliffe regime in the eyes of recruits.

mph
01-14-2010, 05:31 PM

SoCal

There's a lot more to the context of each situation. The links Gator posted make the case against Kiffin. Everything about Kiffin's career would lead me to believe he's interested self-promotion above all else.

Conversely, everything Cut's done at Duke leads me to believe he was interested in building something at Duke rather than just using our program as a stepping stone. If Cut stands up and says UT is the only job he's have left Duke to take, I'll believe him. Kiffin? Not so much.

Duvall
01-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Conversely, everything Cut's done at Duke leads me to believe he was interested in building something at Duke rather than just using our program as a stepping stone. If Cut stands up and says UT is the only job he's have left Duke to take, I'll believe him.

Interested, but not *that* interested, I guess.

Gargoyle
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
The Rivals Board is reporting that the players have been told that Cutcliffe is leaving.

El_Diablo
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I have been very surprised ever since we hired Cut how much the Tennessee diehards that I know just aren't that impressed with him, even though the program won a championship with him, then fell way down after he left, then recovered when he came back. His accomplishments at Ole Miss and Duke are dismissed as well. It would be pretty crappy if Cut left and both fanbases were disappointed - hopefully the lukewarm reception will sway him towards staying. If it comes out that Tennessee did make him a formal offer and he turned them down for Duke, that would look great for us and would only strengthen the legitimacy of our football program and the Cutcliffe regime in the eyes of recruits.

Exactly. If he ends up staying at Duke, this episode will have definitely helped build his name recognition on the national level, which would only help with recruiting and with respect for the Duke program.

Stray Gator
01-14-2010, 05:39 PM
No. Unlike Kiffin, Cutcliffe actually accomplished something at Duke, and if he leaves he is leaving it better than when he got here.

Not only that, but doesn't Cutcliffe have a provision in his contract that expressly allows him to take the Tennessee head coaching job if offered? Has Cutcliffe done anything to earn reprimands from the league commissioner and cause NCAA investigators to come sniffing around the Duke program? Does anyone think David Cutcliffe would encourage or allow any of his assistants to call Duke recruits who had enrolled early and urge them not to attend any classes so that they could transfer to Tennessee without needing a waiver from Duke?

My impression of David Cutcliffe is that he is an honorable man, who has a conscience and genuinely cares about respecting the rules and doing right by others. The very notion that a pompous, unprincipled jerk like Lane Kiffin could even be considered in the same conversation with a gentleman like David Cutcliffe is incomprehensible to me.

jafarr1
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
I hope you're kidding about the Kiffin/Cut comparison. Give me a break. Kiffin cheated at UT, didn't improve the program at all, and is leaving a really good football program for a really, really good football program. Cut did/does everything right at Duke, improved the program significantly, and would be going from a weak football program to a really good football program. You can't fault a guy for taking a huge promotion when he deserves it and has done everything the right way.

Not sure how much of his improvements will endure. The stadium got improved and the practice field got longer. Other than that, we have a few more wins on the books, and it remains to be seen how many of his players will remain in a week or two.

Put it this way: the redshirts from his first full recruiting class haven't even seen the field yet. That's how fast he left town - not much slower than Kiffin.

In a way, it would be easier to accept if it Cutcliffe were more Kiffin-esque. When somebody speaks eloquently and passionately about building something, they usually stick around to see it through. It's easier to believe in what they say.

UT was obviously one of his two dream jobs, so on a certain level I understand, but let's not pretend that he did that much or that he's not leaving a lot of people in the lurch. He just wasn't around long enough to have that much of an lasting impact.

davekay1971
Disappointing news today.

I'm not going to judge Cut harshly for a number of reasons.

1) Tennessee, realistically, is a more prestigous football job than Duke, and he's got a better chance at competing for a national championship there.

2) Tennessee, I'm sure, has a special place in his heart.

3) When he was an assistant at UT, I'm sure he often hoped he could one day be the head coach there.

4) When he got to Duke, and when he said he really wanted to stay here, I'm sure he was not anticipating the UT job being offered to him. None of us anticipated Carroll going to the pros, opening the job at USC, or Kiffin departing UT after one year to go to USC. I'm sure Cut didn't anticipate the string of events that would lead to this possibility, either.

5) While at Duke, he put everything he had into the job.

Ultimately, I'd love him to have primary loyalty to Duke and the players he's recruited here. But if he goes to UT, and it looks like he will, we should understand that this IS a unique offer for him.

cato
If Cut stands up and says UT is the only job he's have left Duke to take, I'll believe him. Kiffin? Not so much.

That's a distinction without a difference. Who cares if it's the only job he would leave Duke for if he has, in fact, left Duke?

buddy
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
is that the new coach will be hired by Kevin White, not Joe Alleva. But Joe Alleva hired Cutcliffe. White's last hire was Charlie Weis. If Cut is gone, based on the record, I do not share your faith. I think Cut's leaving will destroy the progress that has been made.

A-Tex Devil
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
On a lighter note, now that Skip Holtz has skipped down to Tampa to coach USF, isn't East Carolina mandated to hire Mike Leach? YAAAAAAARRR!!!!

wilko
01-14-2010, 05:42 PM
That's a distinction without a difference. Who cares if it's the only job he would leave Duke for if he has, in fact, left Duke?

It like if your girl just left you; vs LIED and left you.
Whats more painful?

Stray Gator
01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Disappointing news today.

I'm not going to judge Cut harshly for a number of reasons.

1) Tennessee, realistically, is a more prestigous football job than Duke, and he's got a better chance at competing for a national championship there.

2) Tennessee, I'm sure, has a special place in his heart.

3) When he was an assistant at UT, I'm sure he often hoped he could one day be the head coach there.

4) When he got to Duke, and when he said he really wanted to stay here, I'm sure he was not anticipating the UT job being offered to him. None of us anticipated Carroll going to the pros, opening the job at USC, or Kiffin departing UT after one year to go to USC. I'm sure Cut didn't anticipate the string of events that would lead to this possibility, either.

5) While at Duke, he put everything he had into the job.

Ultimately, I'd love him to have primary loyalty to Duke and the players he's recruited here. But if he goes to UT, and it looks like he will, we should understand that this IS a unique offer for him.

Well stated. My sentiments exactly. I'd much prefer that he stay at Duke, of course; but I can understand his decision, and I appreciate his tireless efforts to restore a measure of respectability to the Duke football program. Maintaining an upward trend will be easier because of his contributions to the program.

cato
01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
It like if your girl just left you; vs LIED and left you.
Whats more painful?

I guess I'm a results oriented guy: either way, you just got dumped. Everything else you tell yourself is about moving on with your life.

spinoza
01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Should we pay coaches like Cutcliffe better, if we want to keep them?

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I think Cutcliffe is being paid just about as well as Duke can afford to pay a coach. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure they are up there, not only for him but for his whole staff.

davekay1971
01-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I guess I'm a results oriented guy: either way, you just got dumped. Everything else you tell yourself is about moving on with your life.

LOL. Simply awesome post.

Bluedog
01-14-2010, 05:48 PM

He was getting paid $1.5 mil a season. That's pretty good, especially for seasons where we went 1-7 and 3-5 in conference. (Obviously, this was a huge improvement from the past.) We just can't compete with the likes of UT in football and won't in the foreseeable future.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-14-2010, 05:50 PM
It appears that this quick hiring of Cut was done in the interest of retaining UT's commitments (future criminals). Will Duke be in a position that they need a quick hire? Will Cut's Duke recruits reconsider their decision?

I was hoping UT would continue this embarrassing mess until at least the spring. I can't think of a more deserving program.

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
It's easier to leave than to be left behind -REM

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
is that the new coach will be hired by Kevin White, not Joe Alleva. But Joe Alleva hired Cutcliffe. White's last hire was Charlie Weis. If Cut is gone, based on the record, I do not share your faith. I think Cut's leaving will destroy the progress that has been made.

You give too much credit to Joe Alleva for hiring Coach Cutcliffe and too much blame to Dr. White for hiring of Charlie Weis. There's considerably more to each story!

DukeSince'77
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
so who is on Duke's short list?

and can we hire him by the middle of next week?

airowe
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Ugh.

mph

I was addressing SoCal's question regarding Cutcliffe's character. In that regard his motive for leaving makes an obvious difference.

RelativeWays
We need to hire someone soon as national signing day is in two weeks...if we have any recruits left.

jafarr1
01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Well stated. My sentiments exactly. I'd much prefer that he stay at Duke, of course; but I can understand his decision, and I appreciate his tireless efforts to restore a measure of respectability to the Duke football program. Maintaining an upward trend will be easier because of his contributions to the program.

I truly wish I could share in your optimism.

While I, too, appreciate the effort Cutcliffe put in, I don't see that people will look at Duke and see the upward trajectory that you do, especially with the inevitable exodus of Duke recruits in this class. In the end, I'll suspect we'll take two steps forward and two steps back.

Duvall
01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
My impression of David Cutcliffe is that he is an honorable man, who has a conscience and genuinely cares about respecting the rules and doing right by others.

Unless, of course, those others are standing between him and his dream job.

Faison1
01-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Now THAT'S funny!!

Brutal situation, though. Never did I think that off-season coaching moves would affect Duke (this year). I guess I just didn't think about it hard enough.

buddy
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
You give too much credit to Joe Alleva for hiring Coach Cutcliffe and too much blame to Dr. White for hiring of Charlie Weis. There's considerably more to each story!

I'm sure there is. I hold no brief for Joe Alleva, but Cut was hired under his watch. I'm sure Dr. White wasn't solely responsible for Weis, but he also was hired under White's watch. I just think you cannot be too facile here and assume that because Joe is gone and Dr. White is here that all will be well. Duke will have to act very quickly if it is to keep this year's recruits. We cannot afford a lost recruiting year with our history.

roywhite
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I truly wish I could share in your optimism.

While I, too, appreciate the effort Cutcliffe put in, I don't see that people will look at Duke and see the upward trajectory that you do, especially with the inevitable exodus of Duke recruits in this class. In the end, I'll suspect we'll take two steps forward and two steps back.

The possibility of losing not just Cutcliffe, but (virtually) an entire staff and having this happen just a couple weeks before LOI day, with the possibility of losing some of the better recruits...well, that would be a pretty quick halt to an upward trajectory. Back to the launching pad, I'm afraid.

Duvall
01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Not sure how much of his improvements will endure. The stadium got improved and the practice field got longer. Other than that, we have a few more wins on the books, and it remains to be seen how many of his players will remain in a week or two.

Put it this way: the redshirts from his first full recruiting class haven't even seen the field yet. That's how fast he left town - not much slower than Kiffin.

In a way, it would be easier to accept if it Cutcliffe were more Kiffin-esque. When somebody speaks eloquently and passionately about building something, they usually stick around to see it through. It's easier to believe in what they say.

UT was obviously one of his two dream jobs, so on a certain level I understand, but let's not pretend that he did that much or that he's not leaving a lot of people in the lurch. He just wasn't around long enough to have that much of an lasting impact.

This is the truly disappointing part. I was fully prepared to lose a coach after a successful rebuilding effort. It would have been disappointing, but understandable. I never expected to lose a coach halfway through a rebuilding effort, without much in the way of tangible progress on which to build.

killerleft
01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
WFMY's report only confirmed that Cutcliffe may or may not have been offered the job, depending on which anonymous source is to be believed. ESPN says more people will be interviewed tomorrow for the TN job. As I said before, y'all quit making things up. Or at least read the whole story.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
The possibility of losing not just Cutcliffe, but (virtually) an entire staff and having this happen just a couple weeks before LOI day, with the possibility of losing some of the better recruits...well, that would be a pretty quick halt to an upward trajectory. Back to the launching pad, I'm afraid.
All that potential collateral damage is a real concern. The damage done to the program could be pretty severe, in a sense leaving the program worse (gutted) than he when arrived.

JasonEvans
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM

The recruiting class will likely be decimated. We need to move extremely quickly in the hope of keeping as many of these kids as we can. I don't expect Cut to pull a Kiffin and take his top recruits with him as he leaves, but there will be other schools poaching every unsigned Duke recruit starting NOW!

Part of what Cut had built was a nice recruiting foundation. That must continue if we are to compete long-term.

Cut has made Duke a more attractive job. He has proven that you can recruit here and you can compete here. We should thank him for that.

--Jason "has Cut made Duke attractive enough for us to get another good coach to come here?" Evans

arnie
01-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Agreed, it becomes just talk when coaches speak about building programs. Who's to say if Cut doesn't go to UT, he won't take the next SEC job that comes up. Can't say that I blame him, but let's not treat him and or any other coach as a God when they talk about the greatness of the university, building a program, in it for the student/athletes, . . . . . .

yancem
01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
All of the Duke message boards seem to be saying that Cut is definitely gone but I'm not seeing anything on espn or yahoo sports. Has an announcement been made or have things just leaked or are people make assumptions?

If he is gone, that really stinks. He is everything that Duke needs in a football coach and his departure would be very damaging to the program.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-14-2010, 06:18 PM
This is the truly disappointing part. I was fully prepared to lose a coach after a successful rebuilding effort. It would have been disappointing, but understandable. I never expected to lose a coach halfway through a rebuilding effort, without much in the way of tangible progress on which to build.

The build hasn't turned the corner to a winning season yet. I would predict the most difficult year yet would be the third year.

BamaBlueDevil
01-14-2010, 06:19 PM
All that potential collateral damage is a real concern. The damage done to the program could be pretty severe, in a sense leaving the program worse (gutted) than he when arrived.
Gutted? Are memories so dim after only two years? There was no "program" to speak of when Coach Cut arrived. Come on, guys....

airowe
01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
WFMY's report only confirmed that Cutcliffe may or may not have been offered the job, depending on which anonymous source is to be believed. ESPN says more people will be interviewed tomorrow for the TN job. As I said before, y'all quit making things up. Or at least read the whole story.

ESPN doesn't know jack about this situation then.

taiw93
01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
While I too would be upset if Cutcliffe left Duke, can you honestly say you blame him? He would be leaving to take over a bona-fide SEC program, not to mention one with which he has a long history. His departure would indeed be a sad day for Duke, but it would also be a great day for Tennessee and for Coach Cut, who I truly believe put all his heart into rebuilding this program. Congrats to the Vols if this is true, 'cuz they're getting one hell of a coach.

DukeBlueNikeShox
01-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Ken Avent, Jr should be the #1 target!

Duvall
01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
His departure would indeed be a sad day for Duke, but it would also be a great day for Tennessee and for Coach Cut, who I truly believe put all his heart into rebuilding this program.

I don't really care about Tennessee's great days.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Not only that, but doesn't Cutcliffe have a provision in his contract that expressly allows him to take the Tennessee head coaching job if offered? Has Cutcliffe done anything to earn reprimands from the league commissioner and cause NCAA investigators to come sniffing around the Duke program? Does anyone think David Cutcliffe would encourage or allow any of his assistants to call Duke recruits who had enrolled early and urge them not to attend any classes so that they could transfer to Tennessee without needing a waiver from Duke?

My impression of David Cutcliffe is that he is an honorable man, who has a conscience and genuinely cares about respecting the rules and doing right by others. The very notion that a pompous, unprincipled jerk like Lane Kiffin could even be considered in the same conversation with a gentleman like David Cutcliffe is incomprehensible to me.

That coaches who are perceived to have principles and coaches who are perceived to be unprincipled will leave for what they perceive to be a better job.

While I understand that UTenn was Cutcliffe's dream job, in my opinion he is leaving Duke in worse shape than Kiffin left UTenn. The rebuilding job is certainly far from complete and probably now crumbles. Cut will probably be able to salvage much of Kiffin's recruiting class at UTenn.

I saw Cut on Coach K's TV show a few weeks ago. He spoke of Duke being a special place. I thought he was a great guy and great for Duke. While I understand why he is leaving and I also understand why Kiffin went to USC. I feel a little betrayed by Cut as I am sure the Vol Nation feels betrayed by Kiffin.

SoCal

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't really care about Tennessee's great days.

I'm with you. I just was listening to 99.9 and they had a guy in from the knoxville news sentinenel who said it was all but a done deal. He expects the announcement to be some time tomorrow only to give due diligence to Kippy Brown to interview tonight.

He also had some claims that I sort of believe but also find hard to believe depending on the shade of blue glasses i'm wearing

1) Cutcliffe may have one snag because of the staff. He is loyal to his staff and there are still 6 members of the UT staff employed on rocky top

2) he mentioned that Cutcliffe was disappointed that he wasn't even considered last year when the job was open and that if offered would most likely have gone then instead of kiffen.

as a couple of examples

RelativeWays
01-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Guys, Cutcliffe's two years here certainly have made Duke more competitive but none of that has any lasting impact. What exactly is his legacy? We have 4-8 and 5-7 records, no bowl trips, no sustained success, just potential, thats it, potential. Simple physics question. If you push a cart up a hill, but stop before you reach the crest, where does the cart go? Back down the hill, thats where. Cut had only begun pushing before he up and left, taking what hope we had with him. It is just as likely that Duke Football becomes a punchline again as it is any continued improvement or success. I don't envy the next coach, but it may be one of the most important hires in recent Duke history. The truth is our program is on the precipice of disaster.

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
i can't help but totally agree with relativeways here.

I feel a little betrayed because of all that coach cut had said about duke being a place he wanted to be for a long time. i don't begrudge him for going to a dream job, but he made such emphatic statements about how he had a job to do here. Now, I like a few others, feel that we'll be worse off than before and quickly slide back because all that he started will crumble without him here.

some of these kids now will have had a third coach in their four years... that's not stability and i felt that coach cut was all about stability

roywhite
01-14-2010, 06:36 PM
That coaches who are perceived to have principles and coaches who are perceived to be unprincipled will leave for what they perceive to be a better job.

While I understand that UTenn was Cutcliffe's dream job, in my opinion he is leaving Duke in worse shape than Kiffin left UTenn. The rebuilding job is certainly far from complete and probably now crumbles. Cut will probably be able to salvage much of Kiffin's recruiting class at UTenn.

I saw Cut on Coach K's TV show a few weeks ago. He spoke of Duke being a special place. I thought he was a great guy and great for Duke. While I understand why he is leaving and I also understand why Kiffin went to USC. I feel a little betrayed by Cut as I am sure the Vol Nation feels betrayed by Kiffin.
SoCal

Saw the same show (virtually the entire show was a conversation between Coach K and Coach Cut), and I'm equally disappointed (I guess this move is not official, but starting to sound that way).

What would Coach K say about this? I really don't know. I'd guess he has not gotten directly involved here but it would be interesting to hear his candid thoughts (which I doubt we will).

anon
01-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Any confirmed sources or all just speculation?

jjasper0729
01-14-2010, 06:44 PM
ugh

govols.com (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jan/14/source-cutcliffe-has-not-been-hired-ut/)

duke98
01-14-2010, 06:46 PM
If we do lose Cut to Tennessee, I think we need to look away from up-and-coming coaches (young or no, it appears not to matter) and try to lure someone out of retirement a la College of Charleston and Bobby Cremins. CofC might not be making any final fours, but the occasional win against UNC is pretty nice.

shoutingncu
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Cut has made Duke a more attractive job. He has proven that you can recruit here and you can compete here. We should thank him for that.

--Jason "has Cut made Duke attractive enough for us to get another good coach to come here?" Evans

And Duke proved in his hiring that they were willing to invest in improving the program. That should be worth something...

crote
01-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Guys, Cutcliffe's two years here certainly have made Duke more competitive but none of that has any lasting impact. What exactly is his legacy? We have 4-8 and 5-7 records, no bowl trips, no sustained success, just potential, thats it, potential. Simple physics question. If you push a cart up a hill, but stop before you reach the crest, where does the cart go? Back down the hill, thats where. Cut had only begun pushing before he up and left, taking what hope we had with him. It is just as likely that Duke Football becomes a punchline again as it is any continued improvement or success. I don't envy the next coach, but it may be one of the most important hires in recent Duke history. The truth is our program is on the precipice of disaster.

I disagree. Cut's tenure here has shown that Duke doesn't have to be a laughing stock. Five wins isn't outstanding, but it's better than the one and zero win seasons we were enjoying immediately prior to Cut's arrival.

That talent has been upgraded and there is evidence that you can compete at Duke. If indeed Duke needs to find a replacement, we are in considerably better position to do so now than we were two years ago.

BamaBlueDevil
01-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I disagree. Cut's tenure here has shown that Duke doesn't have to be a laughing stock. Five wins isn't outstanding, but it's better than the one and zero win seasons we were enjoying immediately prior to Cut's arrival.

That talent has been upgraded and there is evidence that you can compete at Duke. If indeed Duke needs to find a replacement, we are in considerably better position to do so now than we were two years ago.
I couldn't agree more completely.....

johnb
01-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Looks like pretty solid confirmation, especially since Cut isn't denying it.

One of my favorite sayings is that "if you're feeling disillusioned, you were illusioned in the first place." It's a business, and we all have a price. Sheesh, K was close to leaving for the Lakers, and he'd been here for 25 years, and he did come to us after leaving Army, where he'd gone to college and for whom he'd served as an officer.

I assume Cut's rationale is that he can recruit without many academic restrictions, will play to sold-out stadiums, assumes that UT won't be hit with too many recruiting penalties (they do play in the high stakes cesspool known as the SEC), has fond memories of his time there, and can deal with their awful school colors. I also assume that he found Duke a difficult place to recruit, and, even if he is a top-notch game coach, he was unable to bring in recruiting classes that contain 4 or 5 star recruits or that put us in the top half of the ACC; without All American recruits, we wouldn't often be playing games in January.

Will this inevitably hurt us? Who knows? Maybe we'll find someone who can do what he was trying to do (but hadn't yet done) and be eager to stick around for a decade and see it through.

And if he wants to leave for a huge football program like UT or the 20 others (and the ongoing negotiations imply that he does), then I guess I'd wish him well but frankly prefer he do it now rather than wait a year.

Channing
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
I am not sure why people are surprised that Cut is leaving, or why they are showing indignation about it. The fact of the matter is, coaching is Cut's job. As a business decision, I can't see why he would stay. Its a higher paying job, at a better football program, that is easier to recruit. Most coaches have the ego that they can succeed, so the fact that he is going to a tougher conference probably doesnt really bother him.

When was the last time a coach left such a significant job upgrade on the table? We know about Coach K, but that was the NBA and College, and is a little different (and proved to be different for Billy D too). I cant remember one instance where a coach in basketball or football had the opportunity to go from a perenial bottom feeder to a school with the history, fanbase, and resources of UT, and said no thanks.

And if Florida had come along and asked him to replace Meyer, he probably would have taken that. He probably would have gone to ND had they come calling.

I don't begrudge him. Its Duke's fault for completely ignoring the football program for the better part of 2 decades and allowing the program to fall so far behind. For any coach that we want (i.e. a driven, successful head coach), Duke is nothing more than a place holder, a stepping stone to the next job.

Inonehand
01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
This more than anything else will put Kevin White's stamp on this program. (this is assuming what most people believe at this point...that Cut is gone) His track record of football hires at ND is poor, though I will always believe he came here because he never had control of football...too many other chefs in that kitchen. This can not be screwed up. And it has to happen fast, or we will lose any forward progress we have made over the past two years.

johnb
01-14-2010, 07:07 PM
If we do lose Cut to Tennessee, I think we need to look away from up-and-coming coaches (young or no, it appears not to matter) and try to lure someone out of retirement a la College of Charleston and Bobby Cremins.

Interesting idea. I always liked Cremins, but how much does he know about football? :)

roywhite
01-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Interesting idea. I always liked Cremins, but how much does he know about football? :)

Pretty good at beating the Tarheels. A good place to start. :)

PSurprise
01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I think we need to blame the Seattle Seahawks for being such a crappy team and starting this whole mess. Boycott! I, for one, will not be going to any Seattle games anytime soon! :)

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi,

I think there might be a case of the Duke haters wanting this to be a "done" deal before it is. Do you really think that if Coach Cut told his players we still wouldn't have heard it was a done deal?

I don't think anything has been decided. If Coach Cut was completely disinterested I think he would have put out a statement saying that. So, I am guessing he is interested and wants to hear/know more. Perhaps he wants to talk to Coach K or other people at Duke?

One can have nine toes out the door and still stay. I hope the right thing happens, whatever that is. Who knows, maybe the Temple coach, for example, might do better at Duke than even Coach Cut.

Where I think this really hurts, if it comes to be, is in the timing. I fear losing recruits more than our ability to recover from losing a coach as good as Cut. :(

GO DUKE!

Stray Gator
01-14-2010, 07:27 PM
I completely understand and share in the disappointment over the prospect that we may be losing Coach Cutcliffe to Tennessee. But all this criticism of his statements that Duke was a special place where he'd like to stay for the duration as if he were lying is just wrong IMO. The man made it clear from the outset, and even put it in his contract, that his commitment to Duke remained subject to one exception--his dream of returning to Tennessee as head coach. Anyone here who says he or she would turn down the opportunity to realize a dream of "going back to a place where past glory was won" and be paid more at the same time, I would question whether they're just letting their disappointment obscure their ability to be completely honest with themselves.

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I completely understand and share in the disappointment over the prospect that we may be losing Coach Cutcliffe to Tennessee. But all this criticism of his statements that Duke was a special place where he'd like to stay for the duration as if he were lying is just wrong IMO. The man made it clear from the outset, and even put it in his contract, that his commitment to Duke remained subject to one exception--his dream of returning to Tennessee as head coach. Anyone here who says he or she would turn down the opportunity to realize a dream of "going back to a place where past glory was won" and be paid more at the same time, I would question whether they're just letting their disappointment obscure their ability to be completely honest with themselves.

Hi Stray Gator,

Do we know for a fact it is in his contract about wanting to return to UT if the opportunity came along?

GO DUKE!

killerleft
01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

I agree completely. Weird that it came to this, but if Cut has been offered I just can't see him turning it down. I still hope he does, though.:(

BlueintheFace
01-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Hi,

I think there might be a case of the Duke haters wanting this to be a "done" deal before it is. Do you really think that if Coach Cut told his players we still wouldn't have heard it was a done deal?

Rivals has reports of Duke players confirming he is gone apparently

Vincetaylor
01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I am not sure why people are surprised that Cut is leaving, or why they are showing indignation about it. The fact of the matter is, coaching is Cut's job. As a business decision, I can't see why he would stay. Its a higher paying job, at a better football program, that is easier to recruit. Most coaches have the ego that they can succeed, so the fact that he is going to a tougher conference probably doesnt really bother him.

When was the last time a coach left such a significant job upgrade on the table? We know about Coach K, but that was the NBA and College, and is a little different (and proved to be different for Billy D too). I cant remember one instance where a coach in basketball or football had the opportunity to go from a perenial bottom feeder to a school with the history, fanbase, and resources of UT, and said no thanks.

And if Florida had come along and asked him to replace Meyer, he probably would have taken that. He probably would have gone to ND had they come calling.

I don't begrudge him. Its Duke's fault for completely ignoring the football program for the better part of 2 decades and allowing the program to fall so far behind. For any coach that we want (i.e. a driven, successful head coach), Duke is nothing more than a place holder, a stepping stone to the next job.

Well said.

johnb
01-14-2010, 07:38 PM
I can see him wanting to tell his players before it was announced.

I can also see him wanting to think about it for a day and then staying.

I can't really see him telling his players without a signed contract, and I can't really see the news being held over for too long once the deal was done, but I guess he may have asked UT to defer the announcement while he made phone calls.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I can see him wanting to tell his players before it was announced.

I can also see him wanting to think about it for a day and then staying.

I can't really see him telling his players without a signed contract, and I can't really see the news being held over for too long once the deal was done, but I guess he may have asked UT to defer the announcement while he made phone calls.
There are reports that he made an announcement to the players already. Anyone know a player?

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Cutcliffe signed an extension on his Duke contract.

I assume that the notion that he had an escape clause for Tennessee is correct so Duke won't even get any buy out money. Its too bad that Kevin White did not negotiate that away when they extended the contract.

I assume Cutcliffe is an honorable man. I really do understand why he going back to UTenn. I wish he had not been so emphatic about Duke being a special place.

It is wacky when Pete Carroll to the Seahawks could eventually cost Duke its coach. Maybe Duke should go after Jim Mora Jr.

Many in the VolNation seems opposed to Cut. He is going from a place whose fans seem mostly to love and respect him and one where getting bowl eligible would probably mean a statue on campus to one whose fans don't seem to want him and one with very high expectations in a very tough conference.

SoCal

devillighter
01-14-2010, 07:56 PM
There are reports that he made an announcement to the players already. Anyone know a player?

The chronicle Twitter is reporting that no such meeting took place.

watzone
01-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Quit torturing yourselves for there is one hang up, that being he wants his coaches to come with him. He will take care of them. As for the poster who said I had the same source, that is just not true, I have heard it from three reliable sources and hesitated to put it out. I knew it was looking bleak yesterday afternoon. It stinks, but nobody can blame him for leaving for UT where he has so many ties.. Kiffin on the other hand screwed everybody up. Don't shoot the messenger, but make no mistake, I hope there is a fall out in a selfish way. It's not official, but it is not far from being so from what I am told. I mean, he had to address the players and such. Again, I wish very badly to eat crow on this one but it is my job to pass information on through my site. Nobody hates it more than I do for I was really close to all of his staff. Nobody likes to blow it up and start over again.

Atlanta Duke
01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
College football is a business and everyone is free to move on immediately to whatever opportunity they can grasp - unless you have the misfortune to be a player and actually believe the coach who recruited you will be there after you enroll, in which case you are not only a chump but get to sit out a year before you exercise your right to transfer and play somewhere else.

Good luck to Coach Cutcliffe if he leaves for his dream job (also the reason Brian Kelly and pariah Lane Kiffin pulled up stakes) and my condolences to players at Cincinnati, Tennessee, USC, and Duke who bought into the idea coaches look out for anyone other than themselves.

There are (some) good men coaching college football and basketball but it is a rotten system that taints a lot of people - throw a clean ball against a dirty wall and it will come back dirty every time.

Duvall
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I completely understand and share in the disappointment over the prospect that we may be losing Coach Cutcliffe to Tennessee. But all this criticism of his statements that Duke was a special place where he'd like to stay for the duration as if he were lying is just wrong IMO. The man made it clear from the outset, and even put it in his contract, that his commitment to Duke remained subject to one exception--his dream of returning to Tennessee as head coach.

What an unhappy coincidence that the "one exception" turned out to be his first opportunity to get out of Durham.

spinola
01-14-2010, 08:05 PM
Hep me out, who would be that "good man" coaching college football? to a man, they show no loyalty, always looking for next big buck. and Joe Pa doesn't count.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Hep me out, who would be that "good man" coaching college football? to a man, they show no loyalty, always looking for next big buck. and Joe Pa doesn't count.
Bobby Bowden would still like to catch him.:D

Kewlswim
01-14-2010, 08:11 PM

Hi,

Why doesn't Joe Paterno count? He is a football coach.

Coach Peterson at Boise State should be on the good guy list. He has chances to leave, but loves Boise and his kids are in school, etc. He does not want to mess up a good thing. He likes to be a big fish in a small pond. Isn't the coach from Texas who didn't go to UT one of those guys who just wants to coach at Texas and even more money does not pry him away? There must be others.

GO DUKE!

Atlanta Duke
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM

I said basketball and football, so add Coach K to Joe Pa and man becomes men:D

But with regard to who else to add to the list (to paraphrase Bum Phillips describing Earl Campbell), they may not be in a class of their own but it does not take long to call the roll.

JG Nothing
01-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Grobe.

BlueTeuf
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
..for the person who posts a link confirming Coach Cutcliffe had this "if UT comes calling" clause in his contract.

If the clause is real, it simplifies my view of his departure.

kingboozer
01-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Good luck to Coach Cut, he deserves to be UT's head coach. It's sad for the program he was building, I hope whoever comes in can keep the momentum he was generating up. Who can blame him trading in our "quaint" stadium in for Neyland and another shot in the SEC? Speaking of stadiums, what's the news on Wallace Wade's expansion anyway? I haven't heard anything in a while, maybe I'm just not up to speed?

JaMarcus Russell
01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
It would be inexcusable if there is no buyout on Cutcliffe's contract. That would be one final stain from the Alleva Era.

roywhite
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi,

Why doesn't Joe Paterno count? He is a football coach.

Coach Peterson at Boise State should be on the good guy list. He has chances to leave, but loves Boise and his kids are in school, etc. He does not want to mess up a good thing. He likes to be a big fish in a small pond. Isn't the coach from Texas who didn't go to UT one of those guys who just wants to coach at Texas and even more money does not pry him away? There must be others.
GO DUKE!

Mike Reilly at Oregon State (who told USC he wanted to be the Joe Paterno of Oregon State), Jim Tressel at tOSU, Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, Randy Edsall at UConn, Jim Harbaugh at Stanford....there are some.

SoCalDukeFan
01-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Mike Reilly at Oregon State (who told USC he wanted to be the Joe Paterno of Oregon State), Jim Tressel at tOSU, Kirk Ferentz at Iowa, Randy Edsall at UConn, Jim Harbaugh at Stanford....there are some.

I would not put him in the same category as Paterno, Tressel et al. When is the last time you saw Paterno go for 2 so he could get 50 points when he was leading 48-21?

SoCal

cspan37421
01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
It would be inexcusable if there is no buyout on Cutcliffe's contract. That would be one final stain from the Alleva Era.

Perhaps at the time it didn't look like that option was worth much. And/or they'd have to have paid more to exclude the option - perhaps too much more.

buddy
01-14-2010, 09:02 PM

My understanding was that his original contract allowed him to go to Tennessee without a buyout. Given Duke's situation at the time, I can understand Duke agreeing to that. Last year he got a two year extension. If he didn't have to give up anything for that, shame on Kevin White.

JaMarcus Russell
01-14-2010, 09:15 PM
If the extension also didn't contain a buyout for Tennessee, that is definitely a strike against White. I realize that it may not have been completely his decision, but Weis was given an ungodly amount of guaranteed money at Notre Dame which probably explains why he wasn't fired at the end of 2008.

Stray Gator
01-14-2010, 09:19 PM
What an unhappy coincidence that the "one exception" turned out to be his first opportunity to get out of Durham.

How would you know if this was Cutcliffe's first opportunity to get out of Durham?

sagegrouse
01-14-2010, 09:59 PM

Lots of terms in a contract and lots of give and take. Who knows what negotiations went on?

sagegrouse

Duvall
01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
How would you know if this was Cutcliffe's first opportunity to get out of Durham?

Sorry. First opportunity rumored or mentioned anywhere by anyone, even on the Internet. My mistake.

gpokmd
01-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Well said.
"It stinks, but nobody can blame him for leaving for UT where he has so many ties.."

Hogwash !!
We all SHOULD be upset at him - he gave his word on repeated occasions that he wanted to rebuild this program, see the job through, loved it here, wasn't interested in other programs, blah blah blah.
This is completely different people from an athlete saying he's not leaving early and then doing it anyway. This man is a professional. Now we are sc^&*%$d - I wonder if the recruits will now bail also.
I respect the job he did but all Duke fans have a right to be upset at this man for NOT sticking to his word and finishing the job- heck he was hardly here !
I certainly do not respect this kind of decision making.

diveonthefloor
01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
tonybasilio.com

Radio host in Knoxville with sources inside Vols Athl Dept
saying talks with Cutt have hit a snag mainly centered around Cutt's potential staff.
They also say UT is headed to Chicago to make an offer to Lovie Smith (as of 9pm EST).

This is the damnedest rollercoster I've ever seen along the coaching carousel.

duke2x
01-14-2010, 10:20 PM
What was Cutcliffe supposed to say? When you are someone's employee, you have to say things like that whether you mean them or not. It's particularly true when you are trying to recruit players to your campus for 4-5 years and fans to return after a 20 year hiatus.

gpokmd
01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
What was Cutcliffe supposed to say? When you are someone's employee, you have to say things like that whether you mean them or not. It's particularly true when you are trying to recruit players to your campus for 4-5 years and fans to return after a 20 year hiatus.

ummmm.....a MAN worth his word would then make a COMMITMENT to STAY for that 4-5 years, rather leaving so quickly for money. :eek:

El_Diablo
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
ummmm.....a MAN worth his word would then make a COMMITMENT to STAY for that 4-5 years, rather leaving so quickly for money. :eek:

Quick question: how many games did you go to this season?