PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Nickname Game?

burnspbesq
05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Today, it's the Mastodons vs. the Anteaters for the NCAA championship in men's volleyball.

If you can name the schools without looking them up, you're either a volleyball junkie or you spend waaaaaaaaaay too much time swimming in the sea of sports trivial.

FireOgilvie
05-05-2007, 06:20 PM

IPFW (Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne) Mastodons and UC Irvine Anteaters.

I had no idea that they were playing vball today though....

hurleyfor3
05-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm surprised a second-tier Indiana state school is playing for the national championship in volleyball. How do they get people in Indiana to care?

Also, I thought volleyball was a fall sport.

FireOgilvie
05-05-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm surprised a second-tier Indiana state school is playing for the national championship in volleyball. How do they get people in Indiana to care?

Also, I thought volleyball was a fall sport.

Apparently they only have one guy from Indiana on the team (a freshman). The rest are from all over the place including Canada (six people - two 6'8"), Brazil, and nearby states - IL, OH, MO.

Channing
05-05-2007, 10:10 PM
IPFW may have volleyball, but a different Indiana School - IUIPUI has the coolest pronunciation around - bar none

FireOgilvie
05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
IPFW may have volleyball, but a different Indiana School - IUIPUI has the coolest pronunciation around - bar none

It's actually IUPUI.

cspan37421
05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Apparently they only have one guy from Indiana on the team (a freshman). The rest are from all over the place including Canada (six people - two 6'8"), Brazil, and nearby states - IL, OH, MO.

Reminds me of the Akron Zip soccer team of 1986. NCAA Runner-up to ... Duke. Anyone here remember that? Did you think we went off the deep end thumping our chest about being Americans? I guess the US had a historically-deserved inferiority complex about the quality of US soccer up to that point.

burnspbesq
05-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Irvine wins in four games. First NCAA Division 1 championship for the school.

buzz
05-06-2007, 06:10 PM
1986 newspaper headline the day after the NCAA title game (my freshman year):

Duke Won - Akron Zip

Carter431
05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
This is the second year that IPFW has been in the Final Four. Look for them to make it a third time next year.

mgtr
05-07-2007, 01:53 AM
1986 newspaper headline the day after the NCAA title game (my freshman year):

Duke Won - Akron Zip

Very, very clever!

DevilAlumna
05-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Except that it should be pronounced, based on spelling, as e-u-pooey, rather than ooey-pooey. But still, it's fun to say.

[Note: I'm kind of surprised the board didn't xxxx out pooey.]