PDA

View Full Version : i don't mean to be the voice of doom (UK vs Fla)

moonpie23
01-12-2010, 09:58 PM
but the stable of talent looks like they are beginning to gel as a team.

bad news for pretty much the rest of the entire ncaa field.

Duvall
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Doom? Do not forget that Florida isn't all that good.

Newton_14
01-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Yeah, but they are only up 7 at the half against a team that needed a miracle buzzer beater to win against NC State. I still say Kentucky's hiccups are coming. And hopefully a meltdown at some point. They will have to prove me wrong.

Speaking of NC State, they took out FSU tonight behind 31 from Scott Wood. Impressive.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300120052

JaMarcus Russell
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I doubt Florida will even make the NCAA Tournament so having a 7 point lead against an NIT-level team isn't all that impressive.

hurleyfor3
01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
This may also be known as "peaking in January". As a Duke fan I have unfortunately become quite familiar with this phenomenon.

dukelifer
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM

I would take the rest of the NCAA field in a bet. KY has to win it all now or they will be a disappointment. Having them be undefeated going into the NCAAs with the overall number 1 seed would make that even more compelling. They are making this season very interesting for sure.

BlueintheFace
01-12-2010, 10:26 PM
A well-coached, experienced team will take them down in March. I have ZERO doubt. They don't have the offensive structure to win a half-court game, and their defense shows up in spurts.

UK2009-10=WFU2008-09

moonpie23
01-12-2010, 11:01 PM
cousins is a time bomb....just waiting to blow up...

moonpie23
01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
not tonight......

soccerstud2210
01-12-2010, 11:25 PM
This may also be known as "peaking in January". As a Duke fan I have unfortunately become quite familiar with this phenomenon.

took the words right out of my mouth!

as for UK, i am not completely sold on them yet. they are good, but so was the fab 5, and another poster already mentioned the WFU team in 08-09

Kedsy
01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
as for UK, i am not completely sold on them yet. they are good, but so was the fab 5, and another poster already mentioned the WFU team in 08-09

As much as I couldn't stand them, the Fab 5 existed for two years and made the NCAA finals both years. If you think they're that good, you should be sold.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-12-2010, 11:57 PM
We have barely scratched the surface of conference play. I have been impressed with them, but once we get into the meat of conference play, they will have some sort of losing streak. At the same time, they could very well be a lock for a #1 seed in a couple weeks. We'll see.

oldnavy
01-13-2010, 07:39 AM
They are going to be tough to beat, but they are not invincable by any means. Still very young, and youth is unpredictable at times. I suspect the road games in the SEC will tell us a lot about how this team may fair in the NCAA's.

moonpie23
01-13-2010, 07:41 AM
i was not saying they were the running rebels.....i was just watching them, mentally taking notes vs what i had seen them do in other games.....they are getting better...

oldnavy
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
i was not saying they were the running rebels.....i was just watching them, mentally taking notes vs what i had seen them do in other games.....they are getting better...

They sure are. And the cofidence factor is going to build (although I am not sure that would ever be a problem with Cousins and Wall). As much as it pains me to say it Calipari is doing a good job with them, and he has experience getting teams to the FF, although officially he has never been!

roywhite
01-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Eric Bledsoe, their "other" freshman guard, was outstanding for UK. I agree with the OP that Calipari has them playing better as a team. With some struggles by Kansas recently, Kentucky may be #1 at this point.

Long way to go.

KyDevilinIL
01-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Kentucky's very good, and has the most potential of anyone to become absoultely scary by tournament time.

That said, their schedule is a concern. Overall, an extremely awful bunch of teams they faced in the nonconference season. And with the exception of Kentucky, the SEC is no better this year than it was last year. If it weren't for the Pac-10, there'd be no debate about the worst major conference.

I'm starting to believe Kentucky could enter the NCAAT unbeaten. Odds are someone catches them at least once during the regular season, but those odds are getting longer. Some of these SEC teams are absolutely horrid, even the ones that are supposed to be decent.

Still, put them in a tourney game against Nova, Michigan State, Kansas, even Duke – teams with veterans who can keep it together and don't have Cal as their head coach. That's where Cal and Wall have to earn their money.

NYDukie
01-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Have to agree. I know many here have trouble putting their disdain for UK aside in evaluating them and giving them their due, but let's be serious for a moment. They are good, very good. Yes, they seem to be erratic at times because they are young but they are extremely talented (arguably anywhere from 4-6 NBA prospects, including 3 potential lottery picks in Wall, Cousins and PP). You can say Texas and KU have NBA talent too, but I'm not sure they have 3 potential lottery picks (KU - Aldrich, maybe Collins or Henry and Texas - maybe Jones and Bradley) or difference maker like Wall. Does this mean UK is a lock to win a championship, by no means does it. But they still have a lot of room to improve since they are so young, more so in my opinion that either KU or Texas. The SEC is not overly strong in my opininion and there are only so many teams who may have a shot to beat UK, and that probably can only happen on the opposing teams homecourt. I noticed on their schedule in mid to late February that they play 3 of 4 games on road at Tennessee, Vandy and Mississippi State. I think that might be the spot for them to slip but they should continue to improve until then. My guess is that they will lose one of those games, if not another game at some point and win the SEC regular and tourney titles. Would I be surprised they ran the table, not at all. They are Fab 5 good, with Wall being UK's Webber, though at different positions.

uncwdevil
01-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Given that the earliest we will likely play them is the Elite 8, I'll take our chances.

slower
01-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Yes, they have a wide range of potential outcomes. But if they put it all together, watch out. I mean, we all know how good Wall and Patterson are. Cousins, if he doesn't self-destruct (which is always a 50-50 proposition), is a BEAST. Bledsoe showed last night that he can bring the goods. My God, even Orton played like a world-beater for a stretch (THREE blocks on the same possesion? And they were SERIOUS blocks). Not to mention the other no-namers (Miller, I think, and some other guy) hitting threes. Scary, man, scary.

As the year goes on, I think their chances of self-destructing (aside from Cousins, of course, who just appears to be a detestable human being on the court) are declining.

pamtar
01-13-2010, 09:25 AM
As much as I dislike him, I am not sleeping on Calipari. This dood can coach. He will get the most out of his young players, so I don't expect a losing streak of any sort. I wouldn't be surprised to see them enter the NCAA with just 2 losses. However, you only have to lose once in march. Maybe that's when the inexperience will come back to bite em.

airowe
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
You guys are acting like they beat Texas. They beat Florida. The same Florida who lost to South Alabama, should have lost to NC State, and there are a couple other sorry teams they've lost to that I don't even know the names of.

I agree they'll be good, but a win at Florida does not make them world beaters.

Memphis Devil
01-13-2010, 09:42 AM
You guys are acting like they beat Texas. They beat Florida. The same Florida who lost to South Alabama, should have lost to NC State, and there are a couple other sorry teams they've lost to that I don't even know the names of.

I agree they'll be good, but a win at Florida does not make them world beaters.

It's not so much the win against Florida, but the talent of the team as a whole. They are not as good today as they will be next month, and today they are very, very good. Personally, I despise Cal, but I wouldn't even try to sell anyone on the fact that this team isn't for real.

SupaDave
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
They are a talented group of freshmen contributors with a little veteran savvy. They will be a tough out but they are hardly unbeatable...

moonpie23
01-13-2010, 10:47 AM
aside from the fact that wall is uber-talented and can change a game at will, i'm looking at how they played other teams too....they beat uconn, unc and louisville. I know those aren't top 5 teams, but they are no pushovers like fla. especially louisville being their biggest rival.

cousins should be a concern for Cal....he's a time bomb just waiting to happen. His body language and actions on the court suggest he is angry that he's not already getting his NBA check and that he expects the national championship that Cal has promised him WITHOUT having to go through those little peon teams.

i still think he was lucky not to be tossed in the L'ville game.....

calltheobvious
01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I watched the last 15 game-clock minutes of last night's game, and the Gators' half-court defense was absolutely maddening. While they did a good job over that stretch of limiting Patterson and Cousins on first chances, their defensive rebounding was awful, they lost several loose balls because Cousins wanted them more, and they gave away at least six threes or long twos on virtually uncontested jumpers. UF has a very talented back-court with Boynton and Walker, but they are not a good team right now (recall that they lost at home to South Alabama).

UK is scary-talented for sure. But they're not scary-good (yet) in my book. I'd absolutely love Duke's chances in March against those guys. Jon's length would allow him to play off of Wall a little bit, forcing him to rely more on what I still think is a suspect jumper. Nolan would tie Bledsoe in knots, as Bledsoe doesn't yet know how to gear down--he'd be good for at least five TOs all by himself. Cousins and Patterson are tough covers for us for sure, but UK is at their best when Wall and Bledsoe are leading an up-tempo attack, and I just don't see top teams in the country allowing them to play so freely or comfortably.

(I'd love to see Wisky get a shot at UK in the 16's. I'd take the Badgers in that spot for sure.)

KyDevilinIL
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I'd absolutely love Duke's chances in March against those guys. Jon's length would allow him to play off of Wall a little bit, forcing him to rely more on what I still think is a suspect jumper. Nolan would tie Bledsoe in knots, as Bledsoe doesn't yet know how to gear down--he'd be good for at least five TOs all by himself.

I agree about Nolan v. Bledsoe and trouble dealing with Patterson and Cousins, but I fear in this case Jon's savvy and smarts would be no match for Wall's pure speed. Wall's competition hasn't been stellar, of course, but once he gets past that first guy it's been hard for defenses to react in time to cut off his drive. I'm not sure we wouldn't see Nolan on Wall while gambling that Bledsoe won't beat us the way he essentially beat Florida.

If things hold steady from here, I suspect Duke will be the No. 2 to Kentucky's No. 1 in the South. There aren't many clear possible pitfalls left for UK in regard to earning a No. 1 seed, so we might go ahead and pencil them in. Kansas and Texas should both end up with No. 1 seeds. If Duke wins the ACC season and tourney – and if the Big East becomes a bit of a mess at the top – we might be able to grab the No. 1 in the East. But if Nova or Syracuse distinguishes themselves the BE they'll get the East, leaving Duke firmly on the No. 2 line.

If that's the case, I'm sure Duke and Kentucky are bracketed again. We haven't played those guys at all in nine years; 12 since the last tourney meeting. We're probably due another.

roywhite
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree about Nolan v. Bledsoe and trouble dealing with Patterson and Cousins, but I fear in this case Jon's savvy and smarts would be no match for Wall's pure speed. Wall's competition hasn't been stellar, of course, but once he gets past that first guy it's been hard for defenses to react in time to cut off his drive. I'm not sure we wouldn't see Nolan on Wall while gambling that Bledsoe won't beat us the way he essentially beat Florida.

If things hold steady from here, I suspect Duke will be the No. 2 to Kentucky's No. 1 in the South. There aren't many clear possible pitfalls left for UK in regard to earning a No. 1 seed, so we might go ahead and pencil them in. Kansas and Texas should both end up with No. 1 seeds. If Duke wins the ACC season and tourney – and if the Big East becomes a bit of a mess at the top – we might be able to grab the No. 1 in the East. But if Nova or Syracuse distinguishes themselves the BE they'll get the East, leaving Duke firmly on the No. 2 line.

If that's the case, I'm sure Duke and Kentucky are bracketed again. We haven't played those guys at all in nine years; 12 since the last tourney meeting. We're probably due another.

Interesting speculation, but Selection Sunday is still 2 months away (March 14 to be exact). Kentucky's path through the SEC looks reasonably good, but the ACC race is just getting started.

Tim1515
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Well the good news is that every loss for Florida is a gain for Duke and Austin Rivers

KyDevilinIL
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Interesting speculation, but Selection Sunday is still 2 months away (March 14 to be exact). Kentucky's path through the SEC looks reasonably good, but the ACC race is just getting started.

Sure. But it's never too early to play the game. :)

Besides, as a Duke fan living in Kentucky, Duke v. UK matchups are exercises in stamina, willpower and a direct challenge to my ability to suffer fools. I hope that by saying over and over again how the game is destined to occur, I actually influence the future in the opposite direction.

roywhite
01-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Sure. But it's never too early to play the game. :)

Besides, as a Duke fan living in Kentucky, Duke v. UK matchups are exercises in stamina, willpower and a direct challenge to my ability to suffer fools. I hope that by saying over and over again how the game is destined to occur, I actually influence the future in the opposite direction.

Gotcha. A little reverse mojo thing never hurts. :)

I have a certain, fairly limited exposure to Kentucky fans in Piedmont NC. But my sampling convinces me that constant exposure would drive a sane non-Big Blue fan nuts. They are absolutely relentless.

From a strictly basketball perspective, this Wildcat team is pretty entertaining to watch. Wall plays a really nice game and seems like a pretty level-headed young guy. I like Bledsoe, and never had a problem with Patterson (other than not choosing Duke). Cousins is another matter, but he can play.

Seeing them in a different bracket would be fine with me.

stickdog
01-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Coach Cal had to play his big three (Bledsoe, Patterson & Wall) 37, 37 & 35 minutes respectively to beat a NIT team.

Anybody worried that Cal is "burning his team out" before the tournament? :D