PDA

View Full Version : Roy and the NBA?

oldnavy
01-12-2010, 11:00 AM
With the talk about Pete Carroll going to the NFL, I do not remember hearing discussions regarding Roy Williams and NBA coaching positions. With his recent success, you would think that you would hear some rumors or mention of his name for vacant jobs. I remember Billy Donovan got some interest, and almost went to the NBA, Coach K has had a couple of well publicized offers, Pitino, Calipari...
Is there something about Roy that is not attractive to NBA GM's? Or, has it been out there and I just missed it?

MChambers
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
With the talk about Pete Carroll going to the NFL, I do not remember hearing discussions regarding Roy Williams and NBA coaching positions. With his recent success, you would think that you would hear some rumors or mention of his name for vacant jobs. I remember Billy Donovan got some interest, and almost went to the NBA, Coach K has had a couple of well publicized offers, Pitino, Calipari...
Is there something about Roy that is not attractive to NBA GM's? Or, has it been out there and I just missed it?

Roy couldn't be an NBA coach, because they don't kick NBA fans out of arenas for cheering the opposing team.

airowe
01-12-2010, 11:21 AM

I think there's a lot about roy that is not attractive.

I'm sure there have been some offers, but none serious enough for us to hear about. His system is a lot like some NBA systems. Little structure, lots of possessions, constant motion. I'd assume he would have a serious adjustment period, and probably would not do well.

What college coach has jumped to the NBA and done well?

AnimalFriendly
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I think there's a lot about roy that is not attractive.

I'm sure there have been some offers, but none serious enough for us to hear about. His system is a lot like some NBA systems. Little structure, lots of possessions, constant motion. I'd assume he would have a serious adjustment period, and probably would not do well.

That's pretty much a one person list: Larry Brown. I doubt if there's anything NBA GMs would consider "unattractive" about Roy. Just a wild guess but it's probably well known out there that he's simply not interested in any such offers. Kuchak did approach him about the Lakers a few years back but that probably had as much to do with the mutual UNC tie as anything.

Duvall
01-12-2010, 11:43 AM
That's pretty much a one person list: Larry Brown.

Isn't Brown more of a pro coach with a couple of successful college stints?

Can't think of anyone that made the jump recently with any success. Looking back, Jack Ramsay, I guess.

airowe
01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
That's pretty much a one person list: Larry Brown. I doubt if there's anything NBA GMs would consider "unattractive" about Roy. Just a wild guess but it's probably well known out there that he's simply not interested in any such offers. Kuchak did approach him about the Lakers a few years back but that probably had as much to do with the mutual UNC tie as anything.

I never said GMs find him unattractive. I said I did.

You really think roy wouldn't be interested in a pro offer? I think he would jump at the chance if it was the right situation.

allenmurray
01-12-2010, 12:04 PM

You really think roy wouldn't be interested in a pro offer? I think he would jump at the chance if it was the right situation.

Given the very different nature of the coach-player relationships from college coaching to the NBA I can see many reasons why Roy (and other college coaches) would not want to make the move. Even for K it was a time-limited situation - he and the players knew it was a temporary arrangement In one settng the issues of "who runs the team" is pretty clearly settled, in the other far less so. I'm not saying one is better or worse, but they are very different coaching roles.

NSDukeFan
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM

He doesn't give a ---- about the NBA. :D

77devil
01-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Uh, try former Duke assistant and Penn head coach Chuck Daly. A far better coach and much more successful than Larry-throw my players under the bus-Brown. Even former Duke assistant Hubie Brown was arguably as successful in the NBA as Brown.

AnimalFriendly
01-12-2010, 01:02 PM

OldNavy initially raised the question as to whether there was anything GMs found unattractive and my response meant that I didn't think there was any such thing. Just my opinion & sorry if it was unclear.

No, I really don't think Roy would be remotely interested in a pro offer. He turns 60 this August 1 - my birthday too :D - and I will be very surprised if he ever leaves his current job for anything besides retirement.

shoutingncu
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM

A brief write-up on the search:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/112061/

The latest contact marked the third time the Lakers have approached Williams. The first time was back in 1992.

airowe
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
OldNavy initially raised the question as to whether there was anything GMs found unattractive and my response meant that I didn't think there was any such thing. Just my opinion & sorry if it was unclear.

No, I really don't think Roy would be remotely interested in a pro offer. He turns 60 this August 1 - my birthday too :D - and I will be very surprised if he ever leaves his current job for anything besides retirement.

I didn't misunderstand the question, you misunderstood my aanswer.

As to whether or not roy would actually leave unc, I would be surprised if he didn't at least entertain the offer seriously. Every major head coach has a big ego, but I think roy takes the cake. He also has a seemingly high level of insecurity though so he may be more inclined to stay in the baby blue bubble he is currently surrounded by.

AnimalFriendly
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Uh, try former Duke assistant and Penn head coach Chuck Daly. A far better coach and much more successful than Larry-throw my players under the bus-Brown. Even former Duke assistant Hubie Brown was arguably as successful in the NBA as Brown.

I wasn't aware that Daly or H. Brown ever won an NCAA title as a head coach. Larry Brown is the only head coach in history who has won both an NCAA title and an NBA world champtionship. Enough said.

NSDukeFan
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM

I wasn't aware that Daly or H. Brown ever won an NCAA title as a head coach. Larry Brown is the only head coach in history who has won both an NCAA title and an NBA world champtionship. Enough said.

I think Hubie Brown and Chuck Daly would qualify as college coaches that had success in the NBA.

AnimalFriendly
01-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I didn't misunderstand the question, you misunderstood my aanswer.

As to whether or not roy would actually leave unc, I would be surprised if he didn't at least entertain the offer seriously. Every major head coach has a big ego, but I think roy takes the cake. He also has a seemingly high level of insecurity though so he may be more inclined to stay in the baby blue bubble he is currently surrounded by.

I didn't misunderstand your answer nor did anything in my responses above indicate that I did.

Let's see, Roy has a big ego plus a lot of insecurity. Pity but whatever. And I would be very surprised if he did entertain any NBA offer at all seriously.

superdave
01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Hearing Roy upset after a loss, taking the rims off and practicing his team into the ground....well...that just doesnt sound like a coach who'd get along with players who make more than him.

Also, the travel schedule of 41 away games would not sit well with Roy's affinity for the creature comforts.

Lastly, I heard Roy say once that when he's done at UNC, he's got enough hotel points to stay free for about 6 weeks at the Hilton (Ritz?) in Maui. He doesnt sound like a guy who's stepping outside his comfort zone to coach pro ballers.

77devil
01-12-2010, 03:37 PM

The post, which I have conveniently reposted above for you, made no reference to an NCAA title. Furthermore, Brown's NCAA title is severely tarnished given the infractions that followed(see link below) and the ethically challenged way in which Brown brought Danny Manning to KU.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/1988/nov/08/ncaa_penalty_hits_ku_hard/

oldnavy
01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I doubt that he would go to the NBA. He is in the perfect place where he can be the king, why mess that up? Plus, I never have gotten the sense that Roy would do well in a challenging job. His two head coaching gigs were pretty well established programs BEFORE he got there.

Besides, he bristles every time something goes wrong now, can you imagine how he would do with NBA players and fans who don't give a bleep! about Roy.

Duvall
01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
The post, which I have conveniently reposted above for you, made no reference to an NCAA title. Furthermore, Brown's NCAA title is severely tarnished given the infractions that followed(see link below) and the ethically challenged way in which Brown brought Danny Manning to KU.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/1988/nov/08/ncaa_penalty_hits_ku_hard/

Not to mention the Final Four non-appearance he didn't coach UCLA to in 1980.

weezie
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM

:D:D:D Good one. Heck Roy needs to develop more than one play to make it in the NBA. That center to right pick is getting pretty tired.