PDA

View Full Version : Undefeated teams

dairedevil
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
There's about 6 minutes left, but Kansas is losing to Tennessee in Knoxville...
Could the 2nd undefeated team go down this weekend?

BlueintheFace
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
68-64 Tenn with a little over 3 minutes left. This is impressive without quite a few players on the court.

rotogod00
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
kansas no longer a member of the unbeatens

FireOgilvie
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
...and down goes Kansas.

Nice game for Tennessee after losing all of those players.

RoyalBlue08
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I wonder if this is going to result in a 250 post thread on some Kansas message board about how they aren't fit to win in March?

dairedevil
01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Number 1 ranked Kansas goes down to a team with only 6 scholarship players. Victory was sealed on a 3 pt shot by a walk on with 2 seconds left on the shot clock. Just shows that winning on the road can be really tough, no matter how good you are.

JaMarcus Russell
01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I believe that the only victory that Kansas has over a ranked team this season is number 25 Temple.

Newton_14
01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
...and down goes Kansas.

Nice game for Tennessee after losing all of those players.

I guess Pearl was right all along. Tennessee indeed had enough weapons left in their arsenal to take out a huge enemy!:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, that it is a huge win over the Number 1 team in the country after losing 4 key guys from your team.

Jumbo
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
So, in the past two days, three top-five teams have lost to teams ranked in the double-digits, on the road. I know that Purdue's loss at Wisconsin and Kansas' loss at Tennessee do nothing to change my long-term perceptions of either team. Perhaps we should draw a lesson from that in reacting to a Duke loss -- sometimes we're so close to something that it's hard to step back and gain perspective/context.

Faustus
01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Add that another top team, Nova, almost blew the entirety of a 20 point lead at home to Marquette and only won by two. They can't be pleased about that performance. There are gonna be losses; the trick is to learn and improve from them.

Newton_14
01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Here's a link to the game stats. http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/gameTrax?gameId=201001100580

The Vol's, without the 4 players, still was able to play 9 guys double figure minutes. I did not realize they were that deep, but that is impressive. It will be interesting to see how they fare the remainder of the year if they end up not getting any of the suspended guys back.

Cole Aldrich is a beast. He only had 7 points today but dude had 18 rebounds!

Greg_Newton
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Here's a link to the game stats. http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/gameTrax?gameId=201001100580

The Vol's, without the 4 players, still was able to play 9 guys double figure minutes. I did not realize they were that deep, but that is impressive. It will be interesting to see how they fare the remainder of the year if they end up not getting any of the suspended guys back.

Cole Aldrich is a beast. He only had 7 points today but dude had 18 rebounds!

That's the best part... they're not! 3 of those 9 were walk-ons, including Bruce Pearl's son Steven. Another walk-on, McBee, was the guy who hit the off-balance 3 as the shot clock expired to put them up 6 with ~30 seconds left.

The rankings are going to be funny next week. Sure, a lot of the Top 10 lost, but who else is going to replace them?

BlueintheFace
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Kansas shot 7-27 from three. They missed a lot of open looks. Sherron Collins played 38 minutes and hit just 2-10 from three. Kansas will probably be terrible in March since they are nothing but a three-point shooting team and their best player will have no legs...

Wander
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
So, in the past two days, three top-five teams have lost to teams ranked in the double-digits, on the road. I know that Purdue's loss at Wisconsin and Kansas' loss at Tennessee do nothing to change my long-term perceptions of either team. Perhaps we should draw a lesson from that in reacting to a Duke loss -- sometimes we're so close to something that it's hard to step back and gain perspective/context.

Don't forget about UConn, UNC, and West Virginia also. It's tough to win on the road, even against opponents that are merely decent.

Texas is the clear number 1 team... for now.

SilkyJ
01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Kansas shot 7-27 from three. They missed a lot of open looks. Sherron Collins played 38 minutes and hit just 2-10 from three.

Man, that doesn't sound familiar...

dukelifer
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Kansas shot 7-27 from three. They missed a lot of open looks. Sherron Collins played 38 minutes and hit just 2-10 from three. Kansas will probably be terrible in March since they are nothing but a three-point shooting team and their best player will have no legs...
Also, their coach only plays 8 guys significant minutes. They are out already. Next.

El_Diablo
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Also, their coach only plays 8 guys significant minutes. They are out already. Next.

And they didn't get Harrison Barnes, so they're destined for a decade of mediocrity after this season. :rolleyes:

Newton_14
01-10-2010, 11:15 PM
That's the best part... they're not! 3 of those 9 were walk-ons, including Bruce Pearl's son Steven. Another walk-on, McBee, was the guy who hit the off-balance 3 as the shot clock expired to put them up 6 with ~30 seconds left.

The rankings are going to be funny next week. Sure, a lot of the Top 10 lost, but who else is going to replace them?

That is wild! I saw the replay a few minutes ago of the walkon hitting that 3 at the end. Talk about a career shot against the Number 1 team in the nation!! Just bizarre. That is one of the things that make college basketball such a great game. That kid has a story to tell for his lifetime.

phaedrus
01-11-2010, 01:28 AM
And they didn't get Harrison Barnes, so they're destined for a decade of mediocrity after this season. :rolleyes:

And finally, this game is just further evidence of Kansas' trend of losing to tough opponents on the road.

Steve68
01-11-2010, 11:14 AM

Some added perspective: 14 or 15 of the top twenty lost a game last week.

oldnavy
01-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I believe the chance of any team going the entire season undefeated is very slim. The number of really good, top tier players has increased dramatically over the past 20 years. I believe it is due in large part to the increased AAU influence and impact. It seems there used to be a dozen or so top tier players coming out of HS each year, now the number is in the hundreds. The result is better talent all around. There still are the elite players, usually 1-3 a year that are noticeably better than their peers, but overall the quality has risen and the game has much more parity than in years past.

When Chaminade beat Ralph Sampson and UVA it was a total shocker. Now when a CoC beats a UNC, it is surprising, but not a jaw dropper...

Neals384
01-12-2010, 10:47 PM
OMG Purdue has lost 2 in a row, including a home loss. Time to fire the coach and change the mascot!