PDA

View Full Version : Coach Krzyzewski's Comments

Kewlswim
01-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Hi,

Coach K's post-game press conferences, when I was at Duke, were broadcast on radio. Sometimes, GODUKE.COM publishes some of them. However, I was wondering if they are either broadcast or published in their entirety somewhere online? I enjoyed listening to them and really like being able to read them at my leisure. I like hearing what Coach K has to say, win or lose. Sometimes players are also interviewed and they can have interesting comments too.

Thanks!

GO DUKE!

Dev11
01-10-2010, 03:58 AM
Scout.com usually has the videos of post-game interviews for key Duke players (usually Smith, Scheyer, Singler, and whoever else contributed greatly) as well as Coach K.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=4&cfg=bb

Scroll around on there to find them. You don't need a scout.com profile to watch the videos (I don't have one and it works for me).

Hope this is what you're looking for!

roywhite
01-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Heard Coach K's post-game interview with Bob Harris on the radio network.

Nothing really surprising in his remarks, but he chose his words carefully. I got the impression he doesn't like the very physical style that Hewitt's teams employ, and that he didn't like the officiating in this particular game. Just my take.

slower
01-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Heard Coach K's post-game interview with Bob Harris on the radio network.

Nothing really surprising in his remarks, but he chose his words carefully. I got the impression he doesn't like the very physical style that Hewitt's teams employ, and that he didn't like the officiating in this particular game. Just my take.

Maybe K should consider taking the biggest, baddest football player he can find and putting him on the team. Would be nice to have 5 "message" fouls to use every game against the Techs and other "physical" teams that routinely try to intimidate Duke. ;)

Devilsfan
01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Now your talking!

BlueintheFace
01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Maybe K should consider taking the biggest, baddest football player he can find and putting him on the team. Would be nice to have 5 "message" fouls to use every game against the Techs and other "physical" teams that routinely try to intimidate Duke. ;)

"Message Fouls" soiled the reputation of Chaney (one of my all time favorites) forever and ended his career. Just sayin...

slower
01-10-2010, 10:19 AM
"Message Fouls" soiled the reputation of Chaney (one of my all time favorites) forever and ended his career. Just sayin...

I was being somewhat facetious. I wouldn't want to employ Chaney's "goon" tactics (was NEVER a Chaney fan, despite all the media slurping of the man - also not a fan of John Thompson's hyper-aggressive and rough teams).

Still, it seems that many teams consciously try to rough up the Duke players, with the unstated message that they are soft and can't take the heat. Similarly, I believe that many individual players have an extra chip on their shoulders when playing against Duke's (usually) more-hyped talent.

Maybe it's just an unfortunate reflection of the game's move from fundamental skills and finesse to physicality and raw athleticism. Which, in and of itself, is not necessarily inherently bad. But I don't enjoy the constant muggings and smack talk that occur in most games.

Perhaps it's a reflection of our culture that many sports have moved from athletic contests of skill to something more closely resembling assault and battery or a gladitorial contest (which, sadly, is what many people really enjoy). Sports are not as "sporting" as they once were.

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Sometimes wral's website has the postgame interviews from K and the players in their entirety. Nothing from yesterday though. (The last full postings were from the 4th)http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/page/3680488/

left_hook_lacey
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
UNC seems to always post video of the players and Roy W's comments after the games, win or lose on their team site. Why doesn't goduke do that? I like to hear the coaches and players take after games. I listen to UNC's because honestly, I'm looking for fodder to verbally assassinate "Ole Roy" with as if I need more reasons to loathe him.:D

Lord Ash
01-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Just thought I would post one of Ks comments:

"They were fresher than we were," said coach Mike Krzyzewski, whose team had been on a seven-game winning streak. "They wore us down some. That can tell in the shooting, when your legs aren't completely there."

Grta
01-10-2010, 12:57 PM
What are thoughts on that comment in the above recap?

Wildcat
01-10-2010, 01:09 PM

During the game yesterday I was thinking very similar thoughts. I don't believe it's that hard to find a decent 6 foot 6er, or 6.7 guy who is truly rough, rebound minded, tough and likes to mix it up in a respectful way. Many other teams, mid-major and top programs find them. Offer that guy a scholarship and he would probably love to play for Duke and in the ACC instead of a mid-major somewhere. Oh, I forgot that goes back to the recruiting issue. Sorry, don't mean to inflame anyone. Teams have every right to gain whatever advantage they can gain on an opponent as long as its within the rules of the game and respectful/sportsmanlike.

If they feel we are soft; so be it. Just go out there and prove them wrong. But to your point; it would be good to find a decent sized football player who is isn't afraid to go down low and do some physical dirty work. My question is: do you think K is unaware or against such an idea?

duke2x
01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
The normal pattern is 4 games in 13-14 days. We played 5 (4.5 given the Penn score) in 12, so I can understand why we could be a little tired.

I have been a little worried since the schedule came out about the GT/@BC combo in early February. Thursday night followed by a nooner on Saturday.

dukelifer
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
With a bunch of us trying to argue that an extra few minutes a game is not causing the starters to wear out- K has to mentioned being tired. I am sure it is more than playing in game- I am sure is referring to the prep of traveling etc- but still - he mentioned the team was tired. Hard to know how to respond. The truth is that this Duke team is going to be in most every game they play. Their winning and losing will depend on executing in the last 2-3 minutes of a game. Duke has shown the ability to hold a close lead- but taking the lead when down takes more. You have to make plays and hit throws. You have to exert your will. This team has yet to find that player because they have not been put in that position much. But someone will need to takeover at the end of close games and hit shots or take it strong to the basket. That is what Duke will need to develop to be successful in March - because more times than not- games are close come tourney time.

Wander
01-10-2010, 01:33 PM
What are thoughts on that comment in the above recap?

It makes sense. Depth is by far our biggest weakness.

DukeSean
01-10-2010, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't say that this is the deepest Duke team ever, but I'm not sure depth is by far our biggest weakness...

Regarding the "soft" label that Duke has, and if GT was trying to play on that and expose this alleged softness, it worked. The game was really physical, and the refs didn't do too much to limit that, but bottom line is that we didn't respond in the way that would generate a win. I don't know what is up with Singler, he has been MIA the past couple of games - did K say anything about him?

Newton_14
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM

Depth at guard is thin, but depth in the post is not. It was a comical comment by the writer. He states that Lance fouling out exposed depth when in fact we have 5 guys manning the 2 post positions without even counting Kyle who we could use there if needed.

If Jon or Nolan had fouled out with 10 min to go then yes, it would make sense to say that would be a problem based on depth. But losing 1 post player when you have 4 others available does not expose anything related to depth...I thought it was a dumb comment by the author.

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2010, 02:22 PM
UNC seems to always post video of the players and Roy W's comments after the games, win or lose on their team site. Why doesn't goduke do that?
They do, but you have to pay to see them. (Inside Access premium subscription). I'm not a fan of this practice, and will only upgrade my subscription to the video this year because the women's home games are broadcast. It's not worth it just to see K give his thoughts.

rotogod00
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Just thought I would post one of Ks comments:

"They were fresher than we were," said coach Mike Krzyzewski, whose team had been on a seven-game winning streak. "They wore us down some. That can tell in the shooting, when your legs aren't completely there."

hmmm, maybe if we didn't play our starters so much in blowouts, we wouldn't be so tired.

okay boys, fire away

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2010, 02:48 PM
hmmm, maybe if we didn't play our starters so much in blowouts, we wouldn't be so tired.

okay boys, fire away
Ryan Kelly might agree with you. I'll go ahead and agree with you too, but at the same time these guys are athletes who are conditioned to play often. I'm not sure it's so much in game fatigue as much as it is from traveling and game preparation. I know when I travel, for the most part I'm sitting down in a car or plane, and yet it wears me out. It would be interesting to see how we would do if all the recent games were in Cameron instead of 2 being in Chicago and Atlanta.

rotogod00
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Ryan Kelly might agree with you. I'll go ahead and agree with you too, but at the same time these guys are athletes who are conditioned to play often. I'm not sure it's so much in game fatigue as much as it is from traveling and game preparation. I know when I travel, for the most part I'm sitting down in a car or plane, and yet it wears me out. It would be interesting to see how we would do if all the recent games were in Cameron instead 2 being in Chicago and Atlanta.

but they're usually not conditioned to play 5 times in 13 days (i think that was it). if you know that's what the schedule entails, rest for the big 3 when you're up 20 would be nice imo.

MChambers
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
With a bunch of us trying to argue that an extra few minutes a game is not causing the starters to wear out- K has to mentioned being tired. I am sure it is more than playing in game- I am sure is referring to the prep of traveling etc- but still - he mentioned the team was tired. Hard to know how to respond. The truth is that this Duke team is going to be in most every game they play. Their winning and losing will depend on executing in the last 2-3 minutes of a game. Duke has shown the ability to hold a close lead- but taking the lead when down takes more. You have to make plays and hit throws. You have to exert your will. This team has yet to find that player because they have not been put in that position much. But someone will need to takeover at the end of close games and hit shots or take it strong to the basket. That is what Duke will need to develop to be successful in March - because more times than not- games are close come tourney time.

I think Coach K would say that players need to learn how to play well when they are tired. You're going to play at least 3 days in a row in the ACC tourney, and 2 times in 2.5 days in the NCAA tournament, for as long as you keep winning. Everybody will be tired then.

I'd like to see more minutes out of Dawkins and Kelly, of course, but from what I saw yesterday, they're not ready yet. Maybe they will be later in the season, maybe as soon as Wednesday.

_Gary
01-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I believe the only reason we aren't seeing more minutes for Andre is his shooting slump. We know that right now that's the way he's most likely going to help the team. I doubt he'll make a quantum leap in his defense or ball handling between now and March, so his shooting has got to improve again in order to justify playing time. And unless Ryan makes a huge leap in some area of his game I doubt we'll see more than spot duty from him the rest of the way.

tbyers11
01-10-2010, 03:16 PM

okay boys, fire away

Playing Jon, Kyle or Nolan 3 fewer minutes in Wed night's game would not have made a bit of difference in how tired they were for the game today. I would like to see Jon and especially Kyle get a minute or two on the bench in the first half or the beginning of the second half to keep them fresher for the end of the game but I can guarantee you that playing 38 instead of 35 minutes against ISU did not make Jon or any superbly conditioned 20 yr old more tired 2.5 days later

Scheduling a game in Chicago on the Wednesday before a Saturday game in Atlanta and flying back to Durham in the interim was probably the cause of the "tiredness". Scheduling the ISU game probably didn't make us as fresh as possible for GT, but we will have similar turnarounds in the ACC (GT home Th 2/4 7pm, @BC Sat 2/6 2pm) and (@ UVa Sun 2/28 7:45pm, @MD Wed 3/3 9:00pm). Might as well get used to them now.

Jumbo
01-10-2010, 03:35 PM
but they're usually not conditioned to play 5 times in 13 days (i think that was it). if you know that's what the schedule entails, rest for the big 3 when you're up 20 would be nice imo.

What is the point in posting something just to say "fire away?" Are you looking to pick a fight?

And I can't believe you don't see the difference between playing 3-5 extra minutes twice a week and AN ENTIRE OTHER GAME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK, WITH TONS MORE TRAVEL!

Just to repeat what Duke did this week:
Sunday: Late game against Clemson. Game doesn't end until after 11. Players deal with media. What time do you think they're back in their apartments.
Monday: Practice:
Tuesday: Fly to Iowa State, etc.
Wednesday. Late game (doesn't start until 9 ET). Go through same post-game routine as Sunday. Fly home that same night! So, when do you think they got to bed? 3 a.m.?
Thursday: Wake up at some point, begin prep for G-Tech.
Friday: Fly to Atlanta. (This is now the third fight in four days).
Saturday: Early game.

Now, if you can explain a physical way that playing guys would have been less tired if they'd played a couple fewer minutes against Long Beach State, I'll be amazed. Because college players have told me that the difference between 30-35 minutes, or 35-40 means nothing, especially with TV timeouts every 4 minutes. However, when you add an entire game to the schedule, with flights, scouting, late bedtimes, etc.? That'll make anyone tired.

I don't agree with the guy who keeps posting in multiple threads about how Duke needs to stop scheduling OOC games during conference season, because I don't think there will be cumulative fatigue when we get back to a normal schedule, the Iowa State game was a special occasion, the Tulsa game is just the second that week, and I generally like watching Duke play basketball. But his point is more reasonable -- an entire game isn't just a 40-minute enterprise. It's prep and travel and media and scouting and hotel rooms. That's not a depth issue, and this team doesn't have a big depth issue (well, it does on the perimeter). It's a scheduling issue. And it's a travel issue we won't reallly deal with again this year (except, maybe, the GT/BC combo).

Meanwhile, running 3 minutes of stall-ball at the end of a blowout doesn't exactly tax players the same way flying to Chicago for a full game does.

Jumbo
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
I believe the only reason we aren't seeing more minutes for Andre is his shooting slump. We know that right now that's the way he's most likely going to help the team. I doubt he'll make a quantum leap in his defense or ball handling between now and March, so his shooting has got to improve again in order to justify playing time. And unless Ryan makes a huge leap in some area of his game I doubt we'll see more than spot duty from him the rest of the way.

I'll respectfully disagree on Andre. I think, in fact, Andre's shooting slump is related to the sporadic minutes. But I think there are two main reasons for those reduced minutes: Defense and ball-handling. We've mentioned often how Andre has yet to pick up Duke's D. But he also is shaky with the ball in his hands. And if we're going to sub Jon or Nolan out, or even Kyle, we don't have much ball-handling on the court. If Andre can't handle the ball against good D, it's tough to play him a lot. I hope he can improve in this area going forward.

_Gary
01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I'll respectfully disagree on Andre. I think, in fact, Andre's shooting slump is related to the sporadic minutes. But I think there are two main reasons for those reduced minutes: Defense and ball-handling. We've mentioned often how Andre has yet to pick up Duke's D. But he also is shaky with the ball in his hands. And if we're going to sub Jon or Nolan out, or even Kyle, we don't have much ball-handling on the court. If Andre can't handle the ball against good D, it's tough to play him a lot. I hope he can improve in this area going forward.

You may very well be right that his poor shooting is related to his sporadic minutes. All I'm saying is that if he is knocking down some of those open three's he's been getting he probably stays on the court longer. This might be a chicken/egg thing to a degree. But yeah, his lack of production defensively and with the ball handling absolutely is costing him playing time in a general sense. We don't disagree there. I just think if he's hitting his shots that compensates a bit for the weaker areas and he gets more time.

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Don't talk about fight club.

rotogod00
01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
What is the point in posting something just to say "fire away?" Are you looking to pick a fight?

And I can't believe you don't see the difference between playing 3-5 extra minutes twice a week and AN ENTIRE OTHER GAME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WEEK, WITH TONS MORE TRAVEL!

Sunday: Late game against Clemson. Game doesn't end until after 11. Players deal with media. What time do you think they're back in their apartments.
Wednesday. Late game (doesn't start until 9 ET). Go through same post-game routine as Sunday. Fly home that same night! So, when do you think they got to bed? 3 a.m.?

Now, if you can explain a physical way that playing guys would have been less tired if they'd played a couple fewer minutes against Long Beach State, I'll be amazed. Because college players have told me that the difference between 30-35 minutes, or 35-40 means nothing, especially with TV timeouts every 4 minutes. However, when you add an entire game to the schedule, with flights, scouting, late bedtimes, etc.? That'll make anyone tired.

I don't agree with the guy who keeps posting in multiple threads about how Duke needs to stop scheduling OOC games during conference season, because I don't think there will be cumulative fatigue when we get back to a normal schedule, the Iowa State game was a special occasion, the Tulsa game is just the second that week, and I generally like watching Duke play basketball. But his point is more reasonable -- an entire game isn't just a 40-minute enterprise. It's prep and travel and media and scouting and hotel rooms. That's not a depth issue, and this team doesn't have a big depth issue (well, it does on the perimeter). It's a scheduling issue. And it's a travel issue we won't reallly deal with again this year (except, maybe, the GT/BC combo).

Meanwhile, running 3 minutes of stall-ball at the end of a blowout doesn't exactly tax players the same way flying to Chicago for a full game does.

nope, just that i got ripped into after the clemson game for suggesting this, so i figured the treatment would be the same.

and please, if you would, tell me where you get that i don't understand that an extra game on the road could play a difference as well.

Greg_Newton
01-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Still, it seems that many teams consciously try to rough up the Duke players, with the unstated message that they are soft and can't take the heat. Similarly, I believe that many individual players have an extra chip on their shoulders when playing against Duke's (usually) more-hyped talent.

I think this is a great point, and that this really set the tone for this loss along with the Clemson and 'Nova games in '09. If you let it, this type of thing will get in your head and affect every other aspect of the game. But IMO, we don't need an "enforcer", per se, we just need our existing guys to play a little stronger than they did in those games. Think WWLD - What Would Laettner Do? ;) There's a difference between playing hard (expending effort) and playing smart (expending effort efficiently).

You've got to keep you 'bows up, get low and stick your butt into your man when battling for position, and take back the space you're entitled to as a player! I actually thought the Plumlees and Lance did a pretty good job of this, but some of our other guys kind of ceded that space when guys really got after them. It was probably a function of being worn-out, so I'm not that worried... but it's certainly something I'll be watching when we go to Littlejohn in a couple weeks.

Jumbo
01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
nope, just that i got ripped into after the clemson game for suggesting this, so i figured the treatment would be the same.

and please, if you would, tell me where you get that i don't understand that an extra game on the road could play a difference as well.

It's your solution that's flawed: That giving the guys 3-5 more minutes on the bench would have somehow fixed that problem.

left_hook_lacey
01-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I've never had to pay anything to see it. They usually have a playlist on the right side of the men's basketball page. I noticed they didn't have one up after the College of Charleston loss, which would've been interesting.

rotogod00
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
It's your solution that's flawed: That giving the guys 3-5 more minutes on the bench would have somehow fixed that problem.

Not saying it would necessarily fix it. However, you don't get many blowouts. Just think it couldn't hurt to rest the stars a minute or two when you have an opportunity to. Might make them a little more fresh down the stretch of the season.

roywhite
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Not saying it would necessarily fix it. However, you don't get many blowouts. Just think it couldn't hurt to rest the stars a minute or two when you have an opportunity to. Might make them a little more fresh down the stretch of the season.

And you got ripped previously for beating your point to death. You made 8-10 posts in the same thread on the same point saying the same thing.

You appear to be on your way to a repeat here.

CameronBornAndBred
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I've never had to pay anything to see it. They usually have a playlist on the right side of the men's basketball page. I noticed they didn't have one up after the College of Charleston loss, which would've been interesting.
Why would K comment on unc losing to COC?

WiJoe
01-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I was being somewhat facetious. I wouldn't want to employ Chaney's "goon" tactics (was NEVER a Chaney fan, despite all the media slurping of the man - also not a fan of John Thompson's hyper-aggressive and rough teams).

Maybe it's just an unfortunate reflection of the game's move from fundamental skills and finesse to physicality and raw athleticism. Which, in and of itself, is not necessarily inherently bad. But I don't enjoy the constant muggings and smack talk that occur in most games.

Perhaps it's a reflection of our culture that many sports have moved from athletic contests of skill to something more closely resembling assault and battery or a gladitorial contest (which, sadly, is what many people really enjoy). Sports are not as "sporting" as they once were.

You can mostly thank fellows with Napoleon complexes, such as Izzo, for the rough stuff. It's the big ten that leads the way with the rough stuff, with the big east taking it to the thuggery level.

:mad:

rotogod00
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
And you got ripped previously for beating your point to death. You made 8-10 posts in the same thread on the same point saying the same thing.

You appear to be on your way to a repeat here.

guess i'm a glutton for punishment

slower
01-10-2010, 05:38 PM
guess i'm a glutton for punishment

heh heh - I like this guy. ;)

mgtr
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
You can mostly thank fellows with Napoleon complexes, such as Izzo, for the rough stuff. It's the big ten that leads the way with the rough stuff, with the big east taking it to the thuggery level.

:mad:

I agree, with the addition of the two ACC Techs. I don't like that kind of ball, but the NCAA is the group that needs to step in and fix it. Unlikely.

Jumbo
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree, with the addition of the two ACC Techs. I don't like that kind of ball, but the NCAA is the group that needs to step in and fix it. Unlikely.

Honestly? I think we give as good as we get a lot of the time. Teams have been complaining for years about how physical Duke is on D.

gep
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll respectfully disagree on Andre. I think, in fact, Andre's shooting slump is related to the sporadic minutes. ,,,

You may very well be right that his poor shooting is related to his sporadic minutes. All I'm saying is that if he is knocking down some of those open three's he's been getting he probably stays on the court longer. This might be a chicken/egg thing to a degree. ...

I read these, and they remind me of JJ's initial struggles in the NBA :rolleyes: Not enough time on the court to get into a rhythm... not enough made shots to stay on the court. Well, JJ apparently made up in other ways to stay on the court longer... hopefully Andre can do the same and get more court time

NYDukie
01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I have been pleasantly pleased to date with the team. The D has been tougher, the mental toughness better, chemistry better, depth better upfront to allow some younger talent (i.e. Mason) time to blend whereas our lack of depth in the backcourt is mitigated by two of our best players being guards. However, a few things I did notice during the games that may or may not alarm me come later in the year, specifically during the tourney based on a particular matchup. My thoughts as follows:

1. I like that we have length and depth upfront, but we do lack that one physical, intimidating presence. While watching the game, it was tougher to watch Lawal continually battle his way for rebounds, go through the lane, etc. I know some will say, they were over-physical and the refs didn't enforce the activity down low or physical play in general but many of us had no issue when Elton and Boozer plowed through down low aack some years ago or when the Landlord enforced the lane. All I am saying is such a presence, not necessarily the same talent level, would help (think of Lance with 15-20 lbs of extra muscle at 245-250 lbs possibly)

2. Piggybacking off the above comment regarding the frontcourt, it would be helpful if we have more a low post presence. I recall during the game, and correct me if I am wrong, that Duke in the second half had more points in the paints but in my opinion these more of the follow up and driving variety not the back to the basket, physical presence that would help compliment the perimeter play. I would like to see them utilize Singler more in this role as now he seems to play equal sized or smaller players and maybe Mason as he is gaining more comfort quicker now may provide some occassional post presence even if he more of high post player. I'm not saying for any particular player to go against their strengths on a regular basis but to provide such play to help gain some balance on the offensive end by going to the post a bit more often.

3. Finally, as much as I love the way Scheyer has played, so under control, doing all the lil and big things, the one thing he lacks is baseline to baseline speed. In battling Tech's press, I just couldn't help but think that such a presence that could not only dribble through (which Scheyer can do) but also beat the press up the court to create easy shots would be great to have. I think Kyrie Irving next year will be that guy but it would be a great asset to have this year.

Those are my thoughts and whether the above issues can be fixed this year or at least somewhat mitigated will be a key. Come later in the year, tourny matchups will be even a bigger key. Will the team be able to handle Texas' physical play? Would they be able to handle Nova's perimeter quickness in a rematch? There are areas these teams and others will have to handle regarding Duke which is improved from last year, don't get me wrong, but the three areas of concern are worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses and how the team handles them again as there will be teams that possess some, if not all, of these attributes.

Look forward to hearing some of your comments and do note this is not a post of panic or despair but of a some areas I think could be of concern and how the teams continues its development with regard to these areas and other areas.

Vincetaylor
01-10-2010, 10:19 PM
The problem isn't the minutes and it isn't the travel. The problem is the intensity of the Duke basketball season. The players are expected to give 110% at all times or they will be in Coach K's doghouse immediately. This goes for practice and the games. There is a ton of pressure on these guys and you can see it on their faces. Of course it's great that the players try their butts off because it means we rarely lose games that we shouldn't lose. Effort and intensity are rarely issues. However, an entire season of being micromanaged wears the guys down. I think K needs to loosen the leash a little bit and let the guys have some fun. It's comical how pissed off K, Wojo, and Collins get when the guys make little excusable mistakes during games which are already won. I've played for coaches like that and it's not fun. It's also not beneficial.

ACCBBallFan
01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Tired did not lost the game. Lance fouling out with 10 minutes to go was the difference. Favors got off the schneid and Lawal came to life.

As far as rugged messgae fouls, that would describe how Zoubek and Miles get whistled, though one of Zoube fouls was a cheapie were he could have contested more.

Duke has the depth for Plumlees and Zoubs to foul out, but needs Lance to be an option those last 10 minutes.

Newton_14
01-10-2010, 10:45 PM
1. I like that we have length and depth upfront, but we do lack that one physical, intimidating presence. While watching the game, it was tougher to watch Lawal continually battle his way for rebounds, go through the lane, etc. I know some will say, they were over-physical and the refs didn't enforce the activity down low or physical play in general but many of us had no issue when Elton and Boozer plowed through down low aack some years ago or when the Landlord enforced the lane. All I am saying is such a presence, not necessarily the same talent level, would help (think of Lance with 15-20 lbs of extra muscle at 245-250 lbs possibly)

2. Piggybacking off the above comment regarding the frontcourt, it would be helpful if we have more a low post presence. I recall during the game, and correct me if I am wrong, that Duke in the second half had more points in the paints but in my opinion these more of the follow up and driving variety not the back to the basket, physical presence that would help compliment the perimeter play. I would like to see them utilize Singler more in this role as now he seems to play equal sized or smaller players and maybe Mason as he is gaining more comfort quicker now may provide some occassional post presence even if he more of high post player. I'm not saying for any particular player to go against their strengths on a regular basis but to provide such play to help gain some balance on the offensive end by going to the post a bit more often..

Actually, over half of Duke's points (36) came in the paint and we outscored Tech 36 to 22 in that category. To me it does not matter how those points come as long as they come. I do think we will get more offense in the paint out of Mason and Miles as the season moves on, but for now we are still doing good there.

3. Finally, as much as I love the way Scheyer has played, so under control, doing all the lil and big things, the one thing he lacks is baseline to baseline speed. In battling Tech's press, I just couldn't help but think that such a presence that could not only dribble through (which Scheyer can do) but also beat the press up the court to create easy shots would be great to have. I think Kyrie Irving next year will be that guy but it would be a great asset to have this year..

I too, would like to see us look to beat the press with quick scores as well, but I think in this game K wanted them to control the pace more and not get caught up in an up and down game for some reason. Or at least it appeared that way. Something to watch for in future games. But in this game Duke also outscored Tech in fast break points (19-7).

As for Scheyer's speed, while he is not the fastest guy in the world, I think spending a year preparing to play the point has helped him tremendously and to me he looks notably quicker/faster this year than he did last year. He is much quicker than people give him credit for and much like a pitcher without a great fastball controls hitters by changing speeds constantly on his pitches, Jon does the same thing with how he controls his tempo. He has used that skill to get past guys and either score, dish, or draw fouls a lot this year.

Those are my thoughts and whether the above issues can be fixed this year or at least somewhat mitigated will be a key. Come later in the year, tourny matchups will be even a bigger key. Will the team be able to handle Texas' physical play? Would they be able to handle Nova's perimeter quickness in a rematch? There are areas these teams and others will have to handle regarding Duke which is improved from last year, don't get me wrong, but the three areas of concern are worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses and how the team handles them again as there will be teams that possess some, if not all, of these attributes.

Look forward to hearing some of your comments and do note this is not a post of panic or despair but of a some areas I think could be of concern and how the teams continues its development with regard to these areas and other areas.

I like this team a lot and they still have plenty of room for improvement. We know Kyle will bounce back, and I think we all are confident the Big 3 will play at a high level on most nights. The supporting cast around them has 2 Seniors playing very solid basketball, and with the other 4 guys there is a lot of upside for improvement. If Mason and Andre improve the way we think they will this year, and Miles continues to play well and get better as time goes by, it all spells good news and a whole lot of wins the rest of the way. Anything Kelly gives us will just be icing on the cake and I for one think he has it in him to make an impact by the end of the year.

verga
01-11-2010, 12:21 AM
are we the only team that gets tired? It would seem so, at least the only ones who say we are. Two things seem to be defined in stone, (1) Duke gets tired every year, (2) Duke is waiting on a recruit to see if blah blah has happened, does he or does he not have an offer? Doesn't that last part seem really odd to you, it does to me. Sorry i got off topic on the last one but the first did respond to the thread.

oldnavy
01-11-2010, 07:01 AM
The problem isn't the minutes and it isn't the travel. The problem is the intensity of the Duke basketball season. The players are expected to give 110% at all times or they will be in Coach K's doghouse immediately. This goes for practice and the games. There is a ton of pressure on these guys and you can see it on their faces. Of course it's great that the players try their butts off because it means we rarely lose games that we shouldn't lose. Effort and intensity are rarely issues. However, an entire season of being micromanaged wears the guys down. I think K needs to loosen the leash a little bit and let the guys have some fun. It's comical how pissed off K, Wojo, and Collins get when the guys make little excusable mistakes during games which are already won. I've played for coaches like that and it's not fun. It's also not beneficial.

Not beneficial to the tune of 846 wins, 3 National Titles, 11 ACC titles, 1st in all time NCAA victories (71), 93 weeks ranked as #1, 15 NBA lottery pick, 25 NCAA tournament bids, 10 Final Fours (3rd best of all time), 429 weeks ranked in the top 25, 21 All American selections, 21 first round NBA draft pick, oh and an Olympic Gold Medal...

Yea, I can see how you would have a problem with K's methods... just think how successful he might have been if he were to make it "fun" for his players, like say rec ball...

Jezzzz Louise!!

lpd1982
01-11-2010, 08:01 AM
I read these, and they remind me of JJ's initial struggles in the NBA :rolleyes: Not enough time on the court to get into a rhythm... not enough made shots to stay on the court. Well, JJ apparently made up in other ways to stay on the court longer... hopefully Andre can do the same and get more court time

I know Andre came out strong in his first game back after the tragedy but he could well have been in a daze. With time for thoughts to sink in after the holidays, he could well be struggling. I remember after the news about Andre's sister on this board there were promises of cutting this guy some slack all year long if he needed it. Let's hold up to that promise and back off diagnosing Andre for a bit.

JWA71
01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

I feel compelled to post here because it appears that no one heard Coach K's pregame comments when he talked about Duke playing its third game in six days in conjunction with the travel to Chicago and Atlanta. I don't have any inside information, but I got the impression that schedule was setup to give the team a preview of the fatigue that a team can have after doing extensive travel in Jan and Feb. He did say that last week was identified as a real test for the team early in the season because of the number of games and the travel. I wonder whether the Iowa State game was scheduled for this purpose or a coincidence.

The fatigue isn't caused by running up and down the court a few extra times. It's caused by a number of things, such as the travel and how it affects your sleep and the stress of the season. Jumbo, you did a good job of describing the schedule, but just because someone gets home from Chicago at 3AM doesn't mean that they go to sleep. I know I have a hard time going to sleep after a 9pm games and I just watch them. I don't have the adrenalin rush the the players have.

I'm not sure how to rate Duke's performance last week. The Clemson and Iowa State games were certainly As. I'll tentatively give Duke a C- for the Tech game. That's based on being tied near the end of the game but not able to get a win. Perhaps a C- is too low, because I never take for granted a victory on the road in the ACC for and the rapid development of MP2 is quite encouraging offsets some of the pain of loss.

Jim

cbnaylor
01-11-2010, 09:42 AM
After reading mostly negative comments about the game, I came away with something postive.

Think about it, Yes Duke loss, yes Duke looked bad at times, yes Singler looked awful, yes Duke might have looked a little soft at times, and yes Duke overall had a really bad game..........but Duke almost won the game and GT played their best.

I don't know about you but if Duke can play that bad and almost pull off a win, says a lot about this team and where they are heading this year.

Go Duke

roywhite
01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
After reading mostly negative comments about the game, I came away with something postive.

Think about it, Yes Duke loss, yes Duke looked bad at times, yes Singler looked awful, yes Duke might have looked a little soft at times, and yes Duke overall had a really bad game..........but Duke almost won the game and GT played their best.

I don't know about you but if Duke can play that bad and almost pull off a win, says a lot about this team and where they are heading this year.

Go Duke

We play Georgia Tech again on Thursday, Feb. 4 at Cameron.

It will be interesting to see how the game unfolds and whether either team makes changes to its gameplan or player usage.

I like Duke's chances to win that game.

jv001
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I've been watching Andre on games I've recorded and it looks like his defense is making small strides. However his shooting has suffered for whatever reason. The young man has been through some tough times lately. But the reason he's not playing many minutes is his inability to handle the ball. He cannot create his own shot and if he's not open to shoot, he wants to get rid of the ball quickly. Like he's afraid he will turn it over. In other words, he has no confidence in his ball handling. I think this will change over time, but right now if he's not hitting his shots, his play will be limited. Go Duke!

bird
01-11-2010, 01:55 PM

I think you are correct that the Duke culture emphasizes, among other things, a high degree of accountability. I would go futher and add that many Duke teams, including most if not all the "great" teams, had accountability moments coming not only from the coaching staff but also from other players. This year, Smith noted that he got a lot of feedback from his teamates about his late foul on Peacock, GT's best free throw shooter at 87%. I remember Hurley in particular could get on other players on the court while the clock was running. No doubt about it, the Duke culture aspires to a high degree of standard setting. Duke coaches and many of the players (such as Scheyer) are very explicit that the program is about winning championships. It seems to me that if your aspiration is to be the very best, then part of the scene is some un-fun accountability moments.

CrazieDUMB
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Duke coaches and many of the players (such as Scheyer) are very explicit that the program is about winning championships. It seems to me that if your aspiration is to be the very best, then part of the scene is some un-fun accountability moments.

I may be wrong about this, but didn't K specifically say last year or two years ago that he wanted the team to have more fun, and not get bogged down in media expectations and the like? IIRC it was a result of the previous season (06-07) being one of the worst of the K era. Worst, of course, being 8-8 in the ACC and getting a tourney bid.

K has a habit of switching pressure depending on how his team reacts to it. In 99 he barely got off the bench, whereas I feel like in 2005 he almost ripped Lee Mechionni's face off.

This year I think he's back to pushing them hard. I remember laughing out loud when earlier this year against Long Beach State the team missed a few defensive assignments in a row and K called a timeout, despite the fact that we were up something like 20 points and still in the first half.

I trust K to know what kind of pressure his teams need. I hope he's right about this bunch and the punishment doesn't do more harm than good.

roywhite
01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Who better to offer their comments in such a thread than Coach K?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6783175/

"On every team you want your key players to play well in every game, and if that doesn't happen and nobody picks up that slack. ... Sometimes someone off the bench or a fourth or fifth starter can do that. We didn't get enough of that," Krzyzewski said.

He also knows that his slumping player is one who has already done an awful lot for Duke in his short time at the school.

"I'm not blaming it on Kyle - he's a terrific player for us and is responsible for many wins. We're not immune. Our good players just like every team, have to play well," he said

Newton_14
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Who better to offer their comments in such a thread than Coach K?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/6783175/

Thanks for the link Roy. He also addressed Andre's minutes in that article.

Duke freshman Andre Dawkins has seen his minutes decrease significantly since since conference play began. But Krzyzewski says that he's being phased back in.

"Actually, his minutes were increased in the last game, from the previous game. His is just a normal progression."

The author implies there has been no meaningful increase in minutes but low amounts or not Andre's minutes did climb over the last 3 games. 5 against Clemson, 6 against ISU, and 9 against Tech. It will be interesting to watch over the next few games but I would bet that K gradually builds Andre's minutes back up to the 15 to 18 minute range with an occasional game or two at 20 min or better.

left_hook_lacey
01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't talk about fight club.

I thought you were saying that you had to pay for UNC's press conference videos. I guess that revises my original question...

Why do we have to pay for it at goduke?

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I thought you were saying that you had to pay for UNC's press conference videos. I guess that revises my original question...

Why do we have to pay for it at goduke?
Because it's all about the money sonny. They have very little for free on their website other than highlights of games.

CameronBornAndBred
01-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Post game interview from last night.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/6806161/
all 8 minutes of it. I think they do this more for the home games since WRAL's cameras are there.