PDA

View Full Version : American Flag Upside Down on Uniform???

Scorp4me
01-09-2010, 11:11 PM
While watching the Ga Tech/Duke game this evening my wife asked why that player had the American flag upside down. I figured it was a trick of the camera, but after rewinding it was definitely upside down.

It was at 5:17 in the first half and again at 13:02 in the second half on D'Andre Bell's uniform from Ga Tech. The flag on the Duke uniforms were correct and shown correctly on the tv as were the other Ga Tech uniforms.

I tried to find pictures from tonight to show but couldn't find one of Bell. All other pictures of him I found were old pictures and had the flag shown correctly. So I suppose it was just a mistake, but what a mistake to make. Anyone else have a better explanation?

uh_no
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM
maybe i'm stupid

but where on the uniform is the american flag?

Bob Green
01-10-2010, 12:10 AM
http://media2.newsobserver.com/smedia/2010/01/09/18/First_Look__Duke___Georgia_Tech_01.09.10_6V19HgBL_ 0006.embedded.prod_affiliate.156.JPG

The American Flag is clearly upside down in this picture at the News & Observer.

ricks68
01-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I hope that Ga Tech player is not named John, Paul, George or Ringo.;) By the way, was it George? I don't remember.

ricks

oldnavy
01-10-2010, 06:40 AM
It may have made more sense if it were on Duke's uniform upside down. When flown that way it means DISTRESS!! :(

uh_no
01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
perhaps he wants it in such a way that he can look down and have it appear correct to him? who knows

AtlDuke72
01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
While watching the Ga Tech/Duke game this evening my wife asked why that player had the American flag upside down. I figured it was a trick of the camera, but after rewinding it was definitely upside down.

It was at 5:17 in the first half and again at 13:02 in the second half on D'Andre Bell's uniform from Ga Tech. The flag on the Duke uniforms were correct and shown correctly on the tv as were the other Ga Tech uniforms.

I tried to find pictures from tonight to show but couldn't find one of Bell. All other pictures of him I found were old pictures and had the flag shown correctly. So I suppose it was just a mistake, but what a mistake to make. Anyone else have a better explanation?

I recall that turning the flag upside down was a form of protest against the system during the Vietnam was days. I have no clue why Bell would turn the flag around on his uniform.

El_Diablo
01-10-2010, 10:35 AM
I recall that turning the flag upside down was a form of protest against the system during the Vietnam was days. I have no clue why Bell would turn the flag around on his uniform.

Or maybe it was just a manufacturing error. Mistakes do happen.

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/natinals-washington.jpg

SCMatt33
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM

I also suspect a manufacturing error, but it could have been by some kid working in the uniform laundry room. I'm not sure whether or not Nike or Adidas or whoever GTech's contract is with puts on the flag. It may be done after the fact. Either way, I doubt that players on any D-1 team ever handle their own uniform.