PDA

View Full Version : Huge Lost news!

JasonEvans
05-04-2007, 04:21 PM
The buzz going around everywhere is the Lost is being cancelled...

...in 2 years.

This is the news I have waited for with much anticipation for a long time. This is not a result of bad ratings, Lost remains one of the 10-most popular shows in the key demographics and among the top 20 shows overall, it is because the story is being told and has an ending that we are moving toward.

So, we get 2 more seasons to unravel all the mysteries, to answer all the questions, and then the show will be done.

I am so happy-- this is Lost avoiding the horrible fate that befell the XFiles. They are not trying to extend it forever at the expense of a real story.

I predict that Season Five will be HUGE!! :D

-Jason "Here is (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgossip/detail/index.jsp?uuid=0abbbd02-8b43-430e-9be2-7e2ce391f939) the link with some of the details" Evans

feldspar
05-04-2007, 04:23 PM

...in 2 years.

This is the news I have waited for with much anticipation for a long time. This is not a result of bad ratings, Lost remains one of the 10-most popular shows in the key demographics and among the top 20 shows overall, it is because the story is being told and has an ending that we are moving toward.

So, we get 2 more seasons to unravel all the mysteries, to answer all the questions, and then the show will be done.

I am so happy-- this is Lost avoiding the horrible fate that befell the XFiles. They are not trying to extend it forever at the expense of a real story.

I predict that Season Five will be HUGE!! :D

-Jason "Here is (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgossip/detail/index.jsp?uuid=0abbbd02-8b43-430e-9be2-7e2ce391f939) the link with some of the details" Evans

Jason, I haven't read the link yet but I wonder if 'cancelled' is really the right word? More like the end game is being planned out.

But maybe you were just using that word facetiously??? Cancelled just always makes it feel like something negative is going on behind the scenes.

Great news, I agree.

Jarhead
05-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Jason, I haven't read the link yet but I wonder if 'cancelled' is really the right word? More like the end game is being planned out.

But maybe you were just using that word facetiously??? Cancelled just always makes it feel like something negative is going on behind the scenes.

Great news, I agree.

Isn't jumping the shark required before being canceled?
I have a vague recollection of hearing early in the run that the show was only expected to run for five years. I will miss it.

JasonEvans
05-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Isn't jumping the shark required before being canceled?
I have a vague recollection of hearing early in the run that the show was only expected to run for five years. I will miss it.

The cancelled line was a joke. Sorry if folks missed it.

I've heard that Damon and JJ figured their originaly plan for the show would take about 100 episodes to play out. Seeing as Lost does about 23 episodes a season, that is just slightly over 4 years of shows. I am convinced they began stalling and delaying a bit toward the middle-end of season 2 and for much of the beginning of this season. I suspect that when the ratings started to suffer this year and fans complained they decided that they had to get back on track and they began telling ABC that the show had only 2 years left.

It looks like they are getting their wish.

In the end, we will end up with about 120 episodes of Lost-- and I think we will have watched the best show in TV history.

-Jason "there is talk of a Lost movie to end the series-- I dunno about that" Evans

Exiled_Devil
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
The cancelled line was a joke. Sorry if folks missed it.

I've heard that Damon and JJ figured their originaly plan for the show would take about 100 episodes to play out. Seeing as Lost does about 23 episodes a season, that is just slightly over 4 years of shows. I am convinced they began stalling and delaying a bit toward the middle-end of season 2 and for much of the beginning of this season. I suspect that when the ratings started to suffer this year and fans complained they decided that they had to get back on track and they began telling ABC that the show had only 2 years left.

It looks like they are getting their wish.

In the end, we will end up with about 120 episodes of Lost-- and I think we will have watched the best show in TV history.

-Jason "there is talk of a Lost movie to end the series-- I dunno about that" Evans

Jason - what would you call the 'stall episodes'? I have a feeling that most pieces will be relevant as we move forward - except the two buried nameless ones.

I could see them doing an HDNEt-like finale, where they have the episode air on TV as well as at theaters across the country. I have a feeling I would be down for going to a movie theater to watch the final episode. Heck, I'd probably try to see most of the final season in a theater if it was possible.

Exiled

feldspar
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM

...in 2 years.

Not so fast. Looks like instead of 2 more regular seasons of Lost, we're going to be subjected to THREE SHORTENED SEASONS. 16 episodes each, beginning in February just like the second half of this season.

Blech. I'm not happy about this at all.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Todays-News/Lost-Finds-End/800014380

JasonEvans
05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Not so fast. Looks like instead of 2 more regular seasons of Lost, we're going to be subjected to THREE SHORTENED SEASONS. 16 episodes each, beginning in February just like the second half of this season.

Blech. I'm not happy about this at all.

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Todays-News/Lost-Finds-End/800014380

Yeah, I agree that I do not like getting less of the show each year. We are going to get 16 episodes a season with no repeats or weeks off. It is going to go from February through May probably.

Still, you can understand ABC's desire to keep the show as long as possible. This gives them 3 years of "May sweeps" for Lost as opposed to only 2 more. This feels like a reasonable compromise. I also think it will make the cast happy as it will allow them enough free time each year to do movies and other stuff.

I am betting that the DVD sets of each season will still cost the same, even though there will be 6 or so fewer episodes in each season.

-Jason "I wish it was ending sooner-- but am just glad it will be ending so we can see how it all works out" Evans

oso diablo
05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
my favorite (and therefore the best :) ) one-hour TV show in history. I'd still rate Seinfeld ahead of Lost.