PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Georgia Tech

Jumbo
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the game at Georgia Tech?

_Gary
01-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Mason, if you ask me.

OldSchool
01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Impressive to me that, according to the ESPN boxscore, Jon had a 6:1 assist-to-turnover ratio in this game, even with the effective full-court press and constant harassment of the ball-handler by GT.

Yes, it would have made a big difference if Jon had hit more of his threes, but the whole team was bricking from 3 in this game.

jipops
01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Mason had an excellent offensive game but Scheyer kept us in this in this one on both ends of the floor. Have to go with Jon again.

_Gary
01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Jon certainly didn't have a bad game, and under many circumstances I would have voted for him. But Mason had what I hope was his coming out party and I had to give him the nod today. Jon will get more than his fair share of MOTM "wins" this year.

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, can't argue with 25 and 6 with 1 TO, but the (positive) story of this game, for me, was Mason. 10 points on 6 shots, 6 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks and a steal... played exactly like we need him to.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Jon is my MOTM, but Mason gets my vote for BeDeviler on CTN :cool:

ChicagoCrazy84
01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
How about nobody??

If I had to pick, I'd go with Mason. I won't recognize anyone who shoots 3-13from behind the arc. I don't mean to be negative, but I just can't do it.

Jumbo
01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Mason had an excellent offensive game but Scheyer kept us in this in this one on both ends of the floor. Have to go with Jon again.

And oddly, I thought the most impressive part of Jon's game was his defense. He did a great job on Shumpert, helped extremely well, forced 2 or 3 travels -- really impressive stuff.

Jumbo
01-09-2010, 05:02 PM
How about nobody??

If I had to pick, I'd go with Mason. I won't recognize anyone who shoots 3-13from behind the arc. I don't mean to be negative, but I just can't do it.

So you can't do it, but you can post about not doing it. But you don't mean to be "negative." Got it.

Saratoga2
01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I think Mason played very well, but clearly we would not have been anywhere in this game without Jon scoring 25, handling the ball well under pressure, getting assists and playing solid defense. For me, Jon was the man of the match.

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I gave it to Mason, because the best takeaway from this game is that Mason can be a beast, and I'm guessing that he will take many of Zoubek's minutes depending on foul trouble against athletic big men.

basket1544
01-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Mason was great. His ability to see the court and break up a press got the ball down the court a number of times. When Mason learns to finish, he's going to be unstoppable. However, Jon was the man of this match. He missed some shots sure, but he also created opportunities where there were no shots.

Bob Green
01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I had to vote for Jon. He clearly kept us in the game. A 25 points, six assists, and one turnover performance is pretty darn impressive.

SeattleIrish
01-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I went with Lance. He did an amazing job on Favors - absolutely shut him down/off in the first half. Great job fronting him and fighting for position every time (there were at least two times that Mason gave up position to Favors for the rebounds, as DF simply spun under right before the shot...Lance fought hard EVERY play on defense and never gave up that simple spin, at least that I saw).

Unfortunately, we didn't have much of an "O" tonight, but that type of active defense on Favors scores big points with me.

s.i.

Newton_14
01-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I went with Mason because for a freshman that has been through the injury bug and faced a mountain of "expectation" I thought he had a very solid game and made a variety of good plays today in a very tough place to play. And Tech always always uglies the game up with physical play. It is hard for freshmen to play through that.

Jon was really good as usual and is the heart and soul of this team. I almost never quibble at him taking a 3, but in this game I wish he would have looked to drive a little more vs settling for the 3 on a day where they were not falling. He is so good at either scoring when he drives or setting someone else up for a score, I wish he would do it more often.

This is again one of those days where I wish we could have co-winners.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Jon ... He is so good at either scoring when he drives or setting someone else up for a score, I wish he would do it more often.

Problem was, when he passed to either Nolan or Kyle and they took the shot, they missed too. Often. Too often.:(

Newton_14
01-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Problem was, when he passed to either Nolan or Kyle and they took the shot, they missed too. Often. Too often.:(

Valid point Oz. His running mates left him hanging several times today. Our big guys finished better today though, especially Mason and Miles.

But I am not worried at all. This was an off game for both Nolan and Kyle and that is not going to happen often.

DukeDevilDeb
01-09-2010, 10:11 PM
If you look just at the numbers, Jon HAS to be the MOTM. His assist to TO ratio continues to be almost unbelievable. Yes, he missed some threes, but so did everyone else. Jon missed threes and still scored 25 points (that's 1/3 of our total points!); Nolan missed threes and scored 9; Singler missed threes and scored 9. Tell me which of the three S's you'd like to have a clone of! :D

But, Mason really was superb tonight. He showed that all of the hype about him and his performance and ability has some basis in fact. I loved when he set Miles up for a dunk; I loved that he had 10 points and only 2 fouls; he also had assists, was our leading rebounder with 6, and had only 2 TOs.

While that was a great performance from him, you cannot tell me that beats what Jon did on the court. Jon has been the motor that has kept the Duke b-ball plane aloft... but he cannot do it alone.

And SeattleIrish, how can you go with Lance? I absolutely adore the guy, and he has played two monster games against Clemson and Iowa State. But a captain and a senior cannot foul out with over 10 minutes left and NO POINTS, one rebound, and 1 turnover. That I just can't buy. Lance is going to play big for us throughout the rest of the season, but he was NOT MOTM today.

ice-9
01-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm going with the unusual choice of Kyle Singler as a sign of my faith in him as a player and an affirmation of his importance to the team.

Kyle, we need you back my man!

Newton_14
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM
If you look just at the numbers, Jon HAS to be the MOTM. His assist to TO ratio continues to be almost unbelievable. Yes, he missed some threes, but so did everyone else. Jon missed threes and still scored 25 points (that's 1/3 of our total points!); Nolan missed threes and scored 9; Singler missed threes and scored 9. Tell me which of the three S's you'd like to have a clone of! :D

But, Mason really was superb tonight. He showed that all of the hype about him and his performance and ability has some basis in fact. I loved when he set Miles up for a dunk; I loved that he had 10 points and only 2 fouls; he also had assists, was our leading rebounder with 6, and had only 2 TOs.

While that was a great performance from him, you cannot tell me that beats what Jon did on the court. Jon has been the motor that has kept the Duke b-ball plane aloft... but he cannot do it alone.

And SeattleIrish, how can you go with Lance? I absolutely adore the guy, and he has played two monster games against Clemson and Iowa State. But a captain and a senior cannot foul out with over 10 minutes left and NO POINTS, one rebound, and 1 turnover. That I just can't buy. Lance is going to play big for us throughout the rest of the season, but he was NOT MOTM today.

All very valid points. No doubt. Jon has been great all year and was stellar again today. He makes it hard to ever vote for anyone else and if you got right down to it he deserved it today.

I was just very impressed with Mason being able to have the kind of game he had today in a tough road game like that. Especially given that the game was very physical, and there were a lot of things not going our way.

It was way more impressive than if for instance, Mason had done that in Cameron in a blowout against Tech.

COYS
01-10-2010, 12:46 AM
I went with Mason if only because I've gone with Jon for pretty much every game this season so far. These 25+ point, 5+ assist games are starting to get a little bit tiresome :). Anyway, we really did start to see why the coaches and players were so high on Mason before the season started. Very impressive that he did all this on his first conference road game against two NBA caliber post players.

Cameron
01-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Well, Jon was stout once again. His shot looked ugly at times, sure, but you all know the line. Twenty-five points, six assists, three boards, one turnover. Those are player of the year numbers. That two-handed bounce pass he split between a swarm of Tech players to Nolan for two late in the game was John Stockton.

My vote has to go to Jon.

But Mason was outstanding in moments, and really finished much better yesterday than he has at any point this season. Which is a wonderful sign. Against Iowa State, and this might have been the allure of the United Center's lights and the numerous NBA scouts in attendance (any young kid would be susceptible to this), he went for way too many highlight-type dunks and plays, IMO, and made it difficult for him to finish. Against Tech, he made much better decisions and put himself into positions to make the spectacular happen while finishing. Jay Bilas made a point about this, too. This is great.

As I listen to "Nothing Compares 2 You" in a warm bath and watch the Georgia Tech game again, I just re-noticed Jon's crafty drive and underhanded scoop dish to Miles about two minutes into the game. Stockton indeed. Am I watching the '98 Finals?

And although I may show masochistic tendencies from time to time -- after years and years of following the Indiana Pacers and Reggie Miller and the Miami Dolphins and Dan Marino, positive endings aren't exactly a part of many memories -- Sinead O'Conner is most certainly not playing in my home right now. And I'm not in the bathtub:) That'd be quite odd, actually.

guybrush
01-10-2010, 05:10 AM
Mason showed his talent finally

oldnavy
01-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I voted for Mason, but I want to put a plug in for Kyle since the other thread was closed before I could respond.

Kyle is a stud! I have a man crush on him because he plays so dang hard, he will work through his offensive woes and be a huge contributer down the stretch! Take that to the bank!

slower
01-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I voted for Mason, but I want to put a plug in for Kyle since the other thread was closed before I could respond.

Kyle is a stud! I have a man crush on him because he plays so dang hard, he will work through his offensive woes and be a huge contributer down the stretch! Take that to the bank!

Kyle may be going through an offensive slump (and you can tell by his facial expressions that it bugs him more than anybody), but he brings EVERYTHING he has in EVERY game. Anybody who is bailing on Kyle now - after what he's given this team throughout his career - can go pound salt.

AtlDuke72
01-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I went with Lance. He did an amazing job on Favors - absolutely shut him down/off in the first half. Great job fronting him and fighting for position every time (there were at least two times that Mason gave up position to Favors for the rebounds, as DF simply spun under right before the shot...Lance fought hard EVERY play on defense and never gave up that simple spin, at least that I saw).

Unfortunately, we didn't have much of an "O" tonight, but that type of active defense on Favors scores big points with me.

s.i.

14 minutes, 1 rebound, o assists, 1 turnover and 5 fouls. Favors was shut down by a variey of players and the fact that he appears totally lost on the court. Thomas played very good defense but 5 fouls in 14 minutes? MOM ???

ncexnyc
01-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Always tough to pick a MOTM in a loss.
Jon put up 25 and you can say he kept us in the game, but 3 of 13 from 3pt land is pretty horrid.
Mason continues to improve and provided us with some defense and offense.
Lance's contribution is overlooked due to his poor stat line, but was it a coincidence that Favors and Lawal both impacted the game after Lance left? I think not.
In the end I gave it to Jon, as he was really the only constant offensive threat we had and I concede a number of poor shots to his having to shoulder the load.

left_hook_lacey
01-10-2010, 12:39 PM
has been the man of the match for every game this season. Sure, he didn't have his best game yesterday, but I cringe at the thought of what our record would be right now if we didn't have him to run the point. I'm not taking anything away from Mason P., it was very comforting to see him coming out yesterday, but let's be honest, would we have been in more trouble yesterday without Scheyer, or without Mason Plumlee?

ACCBBallFan
01-10-2010, 10:46 PM

I agree from a metrics standpoint, clearly Jon Scheyer. Relative to expectations, Mason Plumlee.

Rating Players
76 Jon Scheyer, G

65 TOTALS-Duke led in most stats except one that counts

57 Gani Lawal, F
53 Mfon Udofia, G
53 TOTALS-GA Tech

47 Kyle Singler, F
46 Iman Shumpert, G
46 Nolan Smith, G
41 Derrick Favors, F
40 Mason Plumlee, F

38 Zachery Peacock, F
30 Brian Oliver, F
30 Miles Plumlee, F

26 D'Andre Bell, G-F
26 Brian Zoubek, C

14 Lance Thomas, F
12 Glen Rice Jr., G
11 Andre Dawkins, G

06 Nick Foreman, G
02 Ryan Kelly, F

Newton_14
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I agree from a metrics standpoint, clearly Jon Scheyer. Relative to expectations, Mason Plumlee.

Rating Players
76 Jon Scheyer, G

65 TOTALS-Duke led in most stats except one that counts

57 Gani Lawal, F
53 Mfon Udofia, G
53 TOTALS-GA Tech

47 Kyle Singler, F
46 Iman Shumpert, G
46 Nolan Smith, G
41 Derrick Favors, F
40 Mason Plumlee, F

38 Zachery Peacock, F
30 Brian Oliver, F
30 Miles Plumlee, F

26 D'Andre Bell, G-F
26 Brian Zoubek, C

14 Lance Thomas, F
12 Glen Rice Jr., G
11 Andre Dawkins, G

06 Nick Foreman, G
02 Ryan Kelly, F

Hey, can you explain the calculation and the scale please? How do you calculate the number for each player, what it's based on, etc. and what the highest possible score is. That would help.

Thanks!!

Jeffrey
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Jon earned my vote.... again.

I thought GT had a nice defensive game plan and did things that I thought had a reasonable chance to knock Jon off his game. I was extremely impressed with how Jon adjusted and kept his composure. IMO, Jon is displaying an exceptional ability to control his emotions.