PDA

View Full Version : Greg Echenique to transfer from Rutgers

sfinleyo
01-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Does anyone think Coach K would go after Echenique a second time? Considering the Plumlees will be the only true(ish) post players next year with some help from Kelly and Hairston, Echenique would be a solid fit in my opinion.

SeattleIrish
01-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Ech would still have to sit out a year, wouldn't he? If he doesn't get enrolled until Fall, that means he wouldn't be available until the 2012 season...

s.i.

CameronBornAndBred
01-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Why is he transferring? There must be something in the water up there, their women's team has had a flood of recent defections.

sfinleyo
01-08-2010, 11:29 PM
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2010/01/rutgers_center_greg_echenique.html

Depending on where he transfers to, Echenique would likely be eligible to play for his new team after the end of next year’s first semester.

El_Diablo
01-08-2010, 11:29 PM
For those of us who remember, Venezuelan/NewJerseyan Greg Echenique was recruited by Duke and narrowed his main options down to Duke and Rutgers before choosing RU. He was on the same high school team as Samardo Samuels, and he graduated high school early to play at Rutgers a year earlier than expected (sound familiar?).

Anyway, Greg Echenique is transferring from Rutgers. What's strange about this is that he was starting--and averaging 12.6 points and 7.7 rebounds per game (as a sophomore)--before injuring his eye and leaving Rutgers. I'm not sure where he is going, but hopefully he is able to play again at the same level he was before the injury. Best of luck, Greg, wherever you end up!

SCMatt33
01-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Why is he transferring? There must be something in the water up there, their women's team has had a flood of recent defections.

I wouldn't be surprised, it is North Jersey after all. Seriously, I can't imagine this move because we will likely still have 2 Plumlees, Kelly, and Hairston in 2011-2012, plus anyone else we recruit.

AlaskanAssassin
01-08-2010, 11:54 PM
I think he would be a great addition. He's someone we can trust down low offensively.

COYS
01-09-2010, 12:15 AM
As it is, Coach K rarely accepts transfers. Add in the fact that he would sit out for half of next season and I think it's even more unlikely. But, he did recruit Echenique in the beginning so you never know.

BD80
01-09-2010, 12:30 AM
As it is, Coach K rarely accepts transfers. Add in the fact that he would sit out for half of next season and I think it's even more unlikely. But, he did recruit Echenique in the beginning so you never know.

And Coach K would NEVER accept a transfer from Rutgers.

In what world could that ever work out?

Duke is about winning championships! When's the last time anyone won a National Championship with a transfer from Rutgers?

COYS
01-09-2010, 12:40 AM

Duke is about winning championships! When's the last time anyone won a NAtonal Championship with a transfer from Rutgers?

And with a point guard from NJ on the team, as well . . . good point :)

pfrduke
01-09-2010, 12:49 AM

Duke is about winning championships! When's the last time anyone won a National Championship with a transfer from Rutgers?

Unless you're being sarcastic (which I think you are), there is, of course, Dahntay Jones. Admittedly, we didn't win a championship with him (unless you count the 2001 championship when he was sitting out, and a practice squad guy), but he was a darn good player and a great asset as a Blue Devil.

JaMarcus Russell
01-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Ech would still have to sit out a year, wouldn't he? If he doesn't get enrolled until Fall, that means he wouldn't be available until the 2012 season...

The 2012 season?

He would either have 2.5 years to play starting in January of 2011 or 3 years to play starting in the fall of 2011. I guess it depends on his choice, assuming the NCAA gives him a medical hardship. However, I doubt he would end up staying to complete his eligibility because he is definitely a pro prospect.

It all depends on whether Duke recruits him and if he still wants to come here. However, if he came, I bet he would be starting from Day 1. I bet he would have started at Duke last year.

CDu
01-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Unless you're being sarcastic (which I think you are), there is, of course, Dahntay Jones. Admittedly, we didn't win a championship with him (unless you count the 2001 championship when he was sitting out, and a practice squad guy), but he was a darn good player and a great asset as a Blue Devil.

I'm pretty sure there was sarcasm intended, as Dahntay Jones is the obvious Rutgers transfer link.

devildeac
01-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Rutgers is in Newark, correct?

;):rolleyes:

dyedwab
01-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Rutgers is in Newark, correct?

;):rolleyes:

Nope. New Brunswick. Rutgers has a Newark campus and I believe they have a team the plays in DIII

Neals384
01-09-2010, 08:11 AM

Rollie Massimino got his masters at Rutgers...won a national championship in 1985, of course.:cool:

MChambers
01-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Echenique turned Duke down the last time, so I'd be surprised if he'd be interested now. And I agree that we would have a little bit of a logjam with 5 bigs.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Echenique turned Duke down the last time, so I'd be surprised if he'd be interested now. And I agree that we would have a little bit of a logjam with 5 bigs.

I seem to recall that K recruited Roshown McLeod and that was one of the reasons he transfered to Duke after his stint at SJ. Just because the connection isn't made the first time around doesn't mean it's impossible for it to happen at a later date.

miramar
01-09-2010, 09:44 AM
His HS coach was Dan Hurley, so it's not like Coach K would have a hard time tracking Echenique down if he wanted to. Hurley seems to think that he chose a school too quickly and made a mistake, but I don't know if I'm reading between the lines that perhaps he should have gone to Duke instead. Although he definitely should have.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2010/01/rutgers_center_greg_echenique.html

grossbus
01-09-2010, 10:30 AM
"it is North Jersey after all"

new brunswick is north jersey only to people in south jersey. to everybody else, it is central jersey.

Faison1
01-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Without a doubt, I think all the major misses we've had over the last few years would have been better off at Duke.....Echenique, Monroe, Boynton, PP, Barnes.....it's too bad that we've not been able to convey that to them before they make their decisions......

awich1
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I think he is leaving Rutgers because the program is in shambles plus he and his family may be very unhappy with the way his injury has been handled. When he went to Rutgers, the family had a tight relationship with the Rutgers coach, Fred Hill, who almost certainly will be gone after this year. From what I remember, he is a quality student and a quality kid and would have been a great fit at Duke plus he is the type of 4/5 we have needed in recent years. I hope we go after and land him. One issue is if that happened I wonder if it would effect the recruitment of MP3.

MADevil30
01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Without a doubt, I think all the major misses we've had over the last few years would have been better off at Duke.....Echenique, Monroe, Boynton, PP, Barnes.....it's too bad that we've not been able to convey that to them before they make their decisions......

From the player's perspective, I will buy it on Echenique, Boyton, and Patterson, but Monroe has been the focus of Georgetown's offense since day 1 and I think its too early to tell on Barnes...Of course, if we are including life off the court, I couldn't agree more!

Interestingly, I think Duke is better off without Boynton. He has been okay, but reports are he is about to get his minutes cut because he can't shoot, and if we had him, Jon may not be running the point, and having him there could not have worked out better for us. Also, I think having Boynton could have really hurt our chances with Irving, whose stock has only risen since he committed.

And to stay on the actual thread topic, the early report on ESPN (which I always take with at least a grain of salt) is that Maryland or a Mid-Major might be the best fit, no mention of Duke.

Devilsfan
01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Has anyone attempted to see if there is some common ground between all or most of our recruiting misses. I wonder what Monroe, Patterson, Boyton, Barnes, Bledsoe and now Smith have in common. There must be something that is being used against us by other coaches when they are going up against us in a recruiting battle. I wonder why any young man wouldn't jump at the chance to play for a top five academic institution, the coach of our olympic team and have perhaps the most TV exposure in the country?

chrisheery
01-09-2010, 12:28 PM

I am not sure Boyton would have been better off on this years Duke team compared with this year's Florida team. He starts and plays heavy minutes and gets to do what he loves to do best there. Whose minutes would he be taking this year? Kyle, Nolan, Jon?

jgehtland
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Has anyone attempted to see if there is some common ground between all or most of our recruiting misses. I wonder what Monroe, Patterson, Boyton, Barnes, Bledsoe and now Smith have in common. There must be something that is being used against us by other coaches when they are going up against us in a recruiting battle. I wonder why any young man wouldn't jump at the chance to play for a top five academic institution, the coach of our olympic team and have perhaps the most TV exposure in the country?

...is that they all chose not to come to Duke. That list includes centers, forwards and guards. They come from the city, they come from the 'burbs. They are all highly rated, but some as "projects" and some as "starts right away"-types. The really only honest-to-goodness thread that ties them together was deciding not to come to Duke.

I hope everyone realizes that every single college basketball player turns down multiple schools no matter what their decision. Whose list of misses has names like Singler, Scheyer, Plumlee on it? We get our fair share of recruits. Think of it this way: in addition to the coach and the program, each of these 17-year-olds has to evaluate the campus, the classes, the surrounding environment, if they have friends going to school there, etc. You never can tell what drives a kid. How did you make your college decision? Now imagine you have 8 to choose from full-ride. How would your decision have changed?

gumbomoop
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I am not sure Boyton would have been better off on this years Duke team compared with this year's Florida team.

More important, I'm not sure Duke would have been better off with KB on this year's team. Things seem to have sort of worked out for us on the perimeter, what with DD's early arrival, NS's free-spirited creativity, scoring, and defense, and JS's emergence as a different-but-remarkably-effective PG.

For all I know [though I prefer James McMurtry's "Fraulein O"], we'd be even better with KB out there. But I wouldn't want anything to mess up the intuitive rhythm and connectedness I see out on the perimeter so far.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
More important, I'm not sure Duke would have been better off with KB on this year's team. Things seem to have sort of worked out for us on the perimeter, what with DD's early arrival,
You mean AD, right? :cool:

YourLandlord
01-09-2010, 02:19 PM
You mean AD, right? :cool:

Dre Dawkins. DD.

Coastal Devil
01-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Did we recruit this guy a one time??

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/01/08/rutgers-echenique-to-transfer/#more-27237

vango
01-10-2010, 12:06 AM
We did. THis is being discussed elsewhere....

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18801

vango
01-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Ech had an eye injury earlier this year and has been out some. Not sure what impact that has on redshirting and that impact on sitting out after a transfer....

Coastal Devil
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Gotcha thanks. I thought I had something new to discuss :D

UrinalCake
01-10-2010, 01:29 AM
Echenique turned Duke down the last time, so I'd be surprised if he'd be interested now.

I disagree; maybe he realizes he made a mistake or changed his mind. Of all the guys who have transfered away from Duke, many of them ended up at schools that were on their original list.

Does he play center or power forward? I still believe we need to bring in a center over the next couple of years. Of all our bigs, Miles is the only guy who plays anything close to a traditional 5 (other than Z of course). And even his skill set is a blend between a 4/5 IMO.

Say what you will about Coach K's system not requiring a traditional center, I still feel that this position has been lacking for some time and will continue to haunt us if it isn't filled.

Faison1
01-10-2010, 08:29 AM
From the player's perspective, I will buy it on Echenique, Boyton, and Patterson, but Monroe has been the focus of Georgetown's offense since day 1 and I think its too early to tell on Barnes...Of course, if we are including life off the court, I couldn't agree more!

Interestingly, I think Duke is better off without Boynton. He has been okay, but reports are he is about to get his minutes cut because he can't shoot, and if we had him, Jon may not be running the point, and having him there could not have worked out better for us. Also, I think having Boynton could have really hurt our chances with Irving, whose stock has only risen since he committed.

And to stay on the actual thread topic, the early report on ESPN (which I always take with at least a grain of salt) is that Maryland or a Mid-Major might be the best fit, no mention of Duke.

You make great points. This harkens back to the story about coach K really wanting Chris Corchiani, and if he had landed him, Duke would've never seen Hurley suit up for the Devils. And I am PSYCHED about KI coming to town.

But that doesn't stop me from thinking that all the players mentioned, including Greg Monroe, would've been better off at Duke. Between the coaching, style of play, exposure, atmosphere, etc., Duke is the best place to play basketball. And there is no better place to get a high draft pick opportunity than Duke. Was it 1999 when Duke had 4 guys go in the top 15-20? How often does that happen?

Devilsfan
01-10-2010, 09:51 AM
We once wanted the guy mentioned in the topic of this thread. He was worthy then why not now. Surely he's good enough to get the two minutes a game one of our landed highly rated recruits has currently earned.

MChambers
01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
We once wanted the guy mentioned in the topic of this thread. He was worthy then why not now. Surely he's good enough to get the two minutes a game one of our landed highly rated recruits has currently earned.

Coach K has four guys next year to play the two big positions, and maybe Singler if he returns. Ever hear of loyalty? I think Coach K believes it's an important value.

Devilsfan
01-10-2010, 12:09 PM
You're right we should give the guys who originally committed no further competition, signed Daunty Jones.

MChambers
01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
You're right we should give the guys who originally committed no further competition, signed Daunty Jones.

I don't remember old Daunty. Did he play with Sheldon and Reddick?

Devilsfan
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
He didn't play for Duke but I believe he was a friend of Dahntay Jones in New Jersey.
Just a wise old man.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
you're right we should give the guys who originally committed no further competition, signed daunty jones.

i don't remember old daunty. Did he play with sheldon and reddick?
bwahahahaha! :D

MChambers
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
He didn't play for Duke but I believe he was a friend of Dahntay Jones in New Jersey.
Just a wise old man.

Citing to Dahntay Jones doesn't help your argument. Duke accepted Dahntay largely to fill the roster spot when Maggette left after only one year. So he wasn't recruited truly recruited over players on the roster.

Channing
01-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Citing to Dahntay Jones doesn't help your argument. Duke accepted Dahntay largely to fill the roster spot when Maggette left after only one year. So he wasn't recruited truly recruited over players on the roster.

Before getting on someone for not knowing their facts, make sure yours are straight. Maggette left after the 98/99 season. That means he would have been a senior during the 2001/2002 season, Jones's first year of eligibility. Not sure you can say Jones was brought in to fill Maggette's void since they only would have had one year of overlap...

I think the more likely scenario is that after the 99/00 season coach K realized he might lose a lot of talent early with J-Wil, Dunleavy, and Boozer, and decided Jones would be a good player to add some depth and athleticism if/when those players left early.

ricks68
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Does a Juco have to sit out a year, and if so, why? If he is done with junior college and then has to go to a four-year institution, why the penalty if it is so? :confused:

ricks

COYS
01-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Does a Juco have to sit out a year, and if so, why? If he is done with junior college and then has to go to a four-year institution, why the penalty if it is so? :confused:

ricks

No, JUCO players do not need to sit out a year.

ricks68
01-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the info.

ricks

MChambers
01-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Before getting on someone for not knowing their facts, make sure yours are straight. Maggette left after the 98/99 season. That means he would have been a senior during the 2001/2002 season, Jones's first year of eligibility. Not sure you can say Jones was brought in to fill Maggette's void since they only would have had one year of overlap...

I think the more likely scenario is that after the 99/00 season coach K realized he might lose a lot of talent early with J-Wil, Dunleavy, and Boozer, and decided Jones would be a good player to add some depth and athleticism if/when those players left early.
As I recall, Duke looked at both Maggette and Jones when they were in high school. They both graduated in 1998. Duke signed Maggette, so backed off of Jones.

Jones played two years at Rutgers, then transferred to Duke. The transfer year put him a year behind schedule.

Do you remember the fact differently? Or are you just guessing?

El_Diablo
01-11-2010, 08:27 AM
As I recall, Duke looked at both Maggette and Jones when they were in high school. They both graduated in 1998. Duke signed Maggette, so backed off of Jones.

Jones played two years at Rutgers, then transferred to Duke. The transfer year put him a year behind schedule.

If your idea of "replacing" someone is to wait a year after someone leaves, then accept a transfer who can't play for another year, then yeah--you're right.

But I think your notion of a "replacement" is a little bit of a stretch though; it's not like we can only have one athletic player per team, and that Jones was recruited solely to replace Maggette. Coach K had a chance to bring in a special player, and he took it. I suspect he would have done the exact same thing even if Maggette were still on the team, so you can't discard Jones by saying that he was just a replacement for someone else. Besides, by that logic, Echenique is a replacement for Miles Plumlee...

I still don't understand your original point regarding loyalty and how that somehow applies to not accepting transfers like Echenique. Do you know of an instance where a player wanted to transfer to Duke, but Coach K turned him down due to "loyalty" to players he already had on the team, or are you just guessing?

Channing
01-11-2010, 08:51 AM

I actually remember that Maggette was a top 15 recruit while Jones was barely in the top 100. IIRC Jones and J-Wil were either teammates or friends in high school, which is how he got on Duke's radar. But like someone else said, its hard to see Jones as a replacement for Maggette when there was a two season lapse between the two of them.

jimsumner
01-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I do not recall Duke recruiting Dahntay Jones out of high school. Duke wanted one or two wings out of the h.s. class of '98 and focused on Corey Maggette, Dane Fife and Danny Miller.

MChambers
01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I do not recall Duke recruiting Dahntay Jones out of high school. Duke wanted one or two wings out of the h.s. class of '98 and focused on Corey Maggette, Dane Fife and Danny Miller.

If Jim says I'm wrong, then I'm probably wrong, but I definitely remember reading something to this effect. And I don't think Duke offered Jones out of high school, but looked at him, so maybe what Jim is saying and what I am saying are consistent.

Just trying to say that Duke accepting Jones as a transfer should not be cited as an example that would justify accepting Echenique now. Maybe Coach K decides he can fit another big on the roster and maybe he doesn't, but I bet he takes loyalty into account.

UrinalCake
01-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't remember old Daunty. Did he play with Sheldon and Reddick?

Yeah, don't you remember, that year we also had Greg Zoubek.

Cameron
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM

I thought we lost Greg Zoubek that year to a pack of jungle cats who ate him on a visit to Clemson. I think you're thinking of his replacement, Brian Koubek.

CDu
01-11-2010, 11:03 AM

On a related note, it disappoints me when I hear Gminski or Bilas accidentally slip and refer to Brian Zoubek as "Greg Zoubek." Not only should they know better as commentators, but especially as Duke alums!

mkline09
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Wasn't it Greg Koubek and not Zoubek?

flyingdutchdevil
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
On a related note, it disappoints me when I hear Gminski or Bilas accidentally slip and refer to Brian Zoubek as "Greg Zoubek." Not only should they know better as commentators, but especially as Duke alums!

I think this board puts way too much emphasis on the spelling, pronunciation, and use of correct names. Especially with commentators, who have to remember hundreds of names. If they slip up, take it easy on them!

Personally, I laugh when someone corrects my spelling (Shelden is my favorite to misspell). And, for the record, It's not that I try and misspell them - it just happens from time to time.

sagegrouse
01-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Wasn't it Greg Koubek and not Zoubek?

It is cruel and unusual punishment for both fans and announcers to have Greg Koubek and a Brian Zoubek separated by only 15 years. I just call him Zoubs on the Boards because of the potential confusion.

BTW, and this is not a political statement, Sarah Palin kept referring to Joe Biden as O'Biden in campaign meetings in 2008, so much so that at the VP debate she asked him privately when they came on stage if she could call him "Joe." Her problem -- I believe -- was the confluence of Obama and Biden leading her mind-tongue connector to invent an Irish ticket, O'Bama and O'Biden.

sagegrouse

CDu
01-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I think this board puts way too much emphasis on the spelling, pronunciation, and use of correct names. Especially with commentators, who have to remember hundreds of names. If they slip up, take it easy on them!

Personally, I laugh when someone corrects my spelling (Shelden is my favorite to misspell). And, for the record, It's not that I try and misspell them - it just happens from time to time.

I completely agree with regard to the emphasis on spelling of names by other posters. But commentators get paid to do this right. I set the bar higher for them. It's their job, after all.

BD80
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
... Sarah Palin kept referring to Joe Biden as O'Biden in campaign meetings in 2008, ... Her problem -- I believe -- was the confluence of Obama and Biden leading her mind-tongue connector to invent an Irish ticket, O'Bama and O'Biden.

sagegrouse

... But commentators get paid to do this right. I set the bar higher for them. It's their job, after all.

The juxtaposition of these posts just struck me as funny.

UrinalCake
01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I am almost willing to overlook a misspelling (Sheldon or Reddick) but using the name of a completely different person, who played several years ago, is just not cool. And on a related note, the ESPN box score just shows "M. Plumlee" twice. How is that helpful?

BD80
01-11-2010, 12:57 PM

I recall that Dane Fife was the primary target in that class, I went to his announcement at his high school that year (2 miles from my house). Duke were very disappointed we lost him to the General. Dane's dad Dan told me that it was the hardest phone call Dane ever made in telling Coach K he was going to IU. Michigan was also disappointed in that his older brother was a Wolverine. Dane's another recruit that would have been better off at Duke - he didn't thrive under Knight, it was all an issue of confidence.

If I recall, Maggette was a late recruit, unsigned through the early signing period. I don't recall why we weren't on him earlier, but it seems like our focus shifted to him after losing Fife and Miller.

Cameron
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Nothing will ever, ever come close to beating "Josh Roberts."

Even though he knew it was McRoberts, Mike Patrick was like an elder driving out of his condo parking garage in Tampa each time he announced his name. He was sticking with Roberts and coming on through, no matter what (to steal from Jerry Seinfeld's mind).

I understand people make mistakes (as a high school football and basketball announcer early in college, I sure as hell messed some things up now and then), but to consistently use the same error each and every single time is inexcusable. I have shelves upon shelves of Duke game tapes, and I could go through each and every one and probably count hundreds of times in which Patrick said "Roberts."

oldnavy
01-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Nothing will ever, ever come close to beating "Josh Roberts."

Even though he knew it was McRoberts, Mike Patrick was like an elder driving out of his condo parking garage in Tampa each time he announced his name. He was sticking with Roberts and coming on through, no matter what (to steal from Jerry Seinfeld's mind).

I understand people make mistakes (as a high school football and basketball announcer early in college, I sure as hell messed some things up now and then), but to consistently use the same error each and every single time is inexcusable. I have shelves upon shelves of Duke game tapes, and I could go through each and every one and probably count hundreds of times in which Patrick said "Roberts."

Wait, you mean his name was "Mc"Roberts??

Seriously, Mike Patrick always gives me the impression that he just got back from happy hour.

Lord Ash
01-11-2010, 04:21 PM
I know people enjoy reminiscing, but this all seems off topic for a thread about a former top recruit who is transferring, and it makes it a little hard to find the info about Echenique in the thread.

Rich
01-11-2010, 04:27 PM
But commentators get paid to do this right. I set the bar higher for them. It's their job, after all.

Brent Musburger and "The Cameron." Drove me crazy!

jv001
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
It is cruel and unusual punishment for both fans and announcers to have Greg Koubek and a Brian Zoubek separated by only 15 years. I just call him Zoubs on the Boards because of the potential confusion.

BTW, and this is not a political statement, Sarah Palin kept referring to Joe Biden as O'Biden in campaign meetings in 2008, so much so that at the VP debate she asked him privately when they came on stage if she could call him "Joe." Her problem -- I believe -- was the confluence of Obama and Biden leading her mind-tongue connector to invent an Irish ticket, O'Bama and O'Biden.

sagegrouse

and this is not a political statement, Sarah Palin's mind-tongue connector was to invent a Muslim ticket, O'Bama and O'Biden. Go Duke!

superdave
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
and this is not a political statement, Sarah Palin's mind-tongue connector was to invent a Muslim ticket, O'Bama and O'Biden. Go Duke!

Huh ???

HDB
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Are there any news reports that have surfaced yet that indicate that Echenique actually has interest in possibly transferring to Duke?

Lord Ash
01-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Are there any news reports that have surfaced yet that indicate that Echenique actually has interest in possibly transferring to Duke?

I haven't seen anything from him at all mentioning schools... he would have to decide soon, correct, to be able to play second semester next year?

pfrduke
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I haven't seen anything from him at all mentioning schools... he would have to decide soon, correct, to be able to play second semester next year?

It's dependent on, I believe, when his new school requires him to enroll in order to start taking classes in the spring semester.

miramar
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
And on a related note, the ESPN box score just shows "M. Plumlee" twice. How is that helpful?

Just wait until we get Marshall. And in keeping with the discussion, I think one of the commentators was saying that a third brother named Michael (or something like that) was playing HS ball.

It would be nice to see the photo of all three brothers some day, rather than have Marshall's elbow sticking out into the cropped image.

dyedwab
01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2010/01/losing_gregory_echenique_alter.html

Mentions that he is out for the season with a detached left retina in his eye and that he was preparing to apply for a medical redshirt.

So, does that effect his eligibility re: transfer? i.e does he have more time after he sits out the requisite year?

azzefkram
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Just saw this on ESPN:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors?date=20100112#1112

Huh?
01-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Just saw this on ESPN:

Oh well, lets just hope it's not Maryland, Miami not so much either.

Greg_Newton
01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Just saw this on ESPN:

Wtf... 2 posts below that is one about "Ex-D**kie" Olek Czyz. ESPN needs to watch themselves when it comes to spelling Duke nicknames, I seem to recall several other recent instances of this.

MrBisonDevil
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Does Echenique fit Duke's non-basketball standards? As an alum, I would not want any player on our team that doesn't live up to our non-basketball standards (character & academics etc).

tbyers11
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Does Echenique fit Duke's non-basketball standards? As an alum, I would not want any player on our team that doesn't live up to our non-basketball standards (character & academics etc).

Since he was seriously recruited by Duke coming out of high school, the coaching staff likely thought he would have been a good fit for Duke. But as stated a few posts above, we aren't even on his list of potential destinations so it is a moot point.

-bdbd
01-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Just saw this on ESPN:

Not an ESPN Insider, so which 5 schools? Also, not clear if this was an ESPN assessment or a direct GE quote of his FINAL 5?

Yes, he's academically up to Duke standards, as we went after him very intensely a couple years ago. I understood that the betting money was leaning towards Duke actually, but he surprised and stayed up north at Rutgers. So now I'd be really surprised if Duke didn't at least talk to him.

I think he'd clearly lend a "down low" presence that Duke lacks now, and is reportedly a probable future Association player. I think the bigger question would be the impact on the Plumlee trio (duo?). Would that family react negatively to K bringing in such a strong inside player to overlap with them -- certainly could interfere with the recruitment of MP3, and could conceivably alienate the whole family. Oh to be a fly on the wall for the K conversation with Mr. Plumlee (Sr.)...

BTW, does his medical redshirt appeal apply to this year - thus allowing him to start playing elsewhere in Nov. 2010 - or to next year? I assume the former. (W/O that appeal he couldn't play until the first term is over, around Dec. 18th 2010.)

;)

miramar
01-13-2010, 08:09 AM
it's Indiana, Maryland, GTech, Miami, and Creighton.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/01/12/more-transfer-talk-gregory-echenique-considering-indiana-four-others/

rotogod00
01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
it's Indiana, Maryland, GTech, Miami, and Creighton.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2010/01/12/more-transfer-talk-gregory-echenique-considering-indiana-four-others/

and the espn link concurs

pamtar
01-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Wtf... 2 posts below that is one about "Ex-D**kie" Olek Czyz. ESPN needs to watch themselves when it comes to spelling Duke nicknames, I seem to recall several other recent instances of this.

Probably Gottlieb just killing time in between credit card frauds...

CMS2478
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
He's going to Creighton.........per Goodman.

miramar
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
He's going to Creighton.........per Goodman.

this would mean that a guy who had the opportunity to start at Duke is going to end up at Creighton.

gotham devil
01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
this would mean that a guy who had the opportunity to start at Duke is going to end up at Creighton.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/01/13/echenique-to-creighton/

The 6-foot-9 Echenique has decided to transfer to Creighton, choosing the Omaha, Neb., school over Miami, Maryland and Indiana. Some 20-30 other schools, including Duke, Arizona and Oklahoma, also called with interest...

"The trust and the relationship that was built with Gregory and his family from when he was in high school. They were the only school that recruited him out of high school that he was comfortable with. "