PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classic - Georgia Tech v Duke (7 January 1996)

NovaScotian
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
This game is on ESPN classic right now. Lot's of peripherally interesting things about this game: First off, I'm a youngish Duke fan so it's fun to see coaches steve and chris on the floor. As a knicks fan it's nice to see a time when stephon marbury was not a total team cancer. Other supporting characters include Matt Harpring, Drew Barry, and Jeff Capel. Mostly, I'm surprised to see Cameron so empty. Here's the thing - this is a close game with about ten minutes to go, neither team is particularly memorable, and I'm pretty sure there's no fantastic finish to this game since I dont remember it ever being mentioned. So, why is this game on espn classic? what am i missing?

NovaScotian
01-08-2010, 01:34 PM
please forgive me - i just checked the next game they're showing and its Georgetown v UConn. i guess twwl is just trying to get some hype for the games this weekend. y'all can close this thread up. sorry to bother y'all.

hurleyfor3
01-08-2010, 01:44 PM
An odd choice if the object was to get people interested in Duke/Tech. Some better choices would have been:

* Any of the three 1986 games
* Either regular season game from 1990
* The 1991 game at Tech which we won on a T. Hill layin at the buzzer
* The 1999 game at Tech which was the closest any ACC team came to beating us
* The 2004 game at Tech, Schenshur vs. Shelden

And before a random Tech fan chimes in, the 1993 game at Tech in which Hurley got clotheslined is worth showing too.

tbyers11
01-08-2010, 02:17 PM
This game is on ESPN classic right now. Lot's of peripherally interesting things about this game: First off, I'm a youngish Duke fan so it's fun to see coaches steve and chris on the floor. As a knicks fan it's nice to see a time when stephon marbury was not a total team cancer. Other supporting characters include Matt Harpring, Drew Barry, and Jeff Capel. Mostly, I'm surprised to see Cameron so empty. Here's the thing - this is a close game with about ten minutes to go, neither team is particularly memorable, and I'm pretty sure there's no fantastic finish to this game since I dont remember it ever being mentioned. So, why is this game on espn classic? what am i missing?

I'm not sure why this is a classic either, but I can tell you why Cameron was so empty. Durham was getting 4-5 inches of snow that day in the storm that dumped 2-3 feet on much of the Northeast.

coachbob
01-08-2010, 03:29 PM
I went to that game without a ticket. All you had to do is show up. I've never been able to stretch out in the bleachers like that day. Too bad the game didn't end they way I wanted.

TheOrb
01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
An odd choice if the object was to get people interested in Duke/Tech. Some better choices would have been:

* Any of the three 1986 games
* Either regular season game from 1990
* The 1991 game at Tech which we won on a T. Hill layin at the buzzer
* The 1999 game at Tech which was the closest any ACC team came to beating us
* The 2004 game at Tech, Schenshur vs. Shelden

And before a random Tech fan chimes in, the 1993 game at Tech in which Hurley got clotheslined is worth showing too.

I would add the 92 game at Tech. Hurley had just broken his foot against the Holes and was out. G had to take over the point, and they went out beat LSU (with Shaq) and GA Tech (with Best and Forrest and Geiger) on the road.

Kdogg
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I went to that game without a ticket. All you had to do is show up. I've never been able to stretch out in the bleachers like that day. Too bad the game didn't end they way I wanted.

I was there too. It was a "holiday" game so classes had not started either.

jjasper0729
01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
i was at the '96 game and remember that it was that bad storm and the temp was in the single digits and teens. bad nasty day outside kept the masses at home. I remember having to put 9314 as the "official attendance" and then we put in what the "actual attendance" was.