PDA

View Full Version : Spidey (Spoilers)

Udaman
05-04-2007, 03:03 PM
So saw it at lunch today (told you, I like to see them the day they opened).

My thoughts.....very mixed. On the one hand, there were parts that were just really well done and funny (the scene in the restaurant where he's planning out how to propose is one of the best). There are parts where the acting is really well done (MJ and Parker at the restaurant). There are parts where you think the movie is going to take you in a really interesting and believable direction (MJ gets fired...she's clearly jealous of SpiderMan...he's letting it all get to his head and forgetting about her)....But then it all sort of comes crashing down.

They never take you where you want them to go. The big fight scene at the end feels strangely familiar. The bad guys have no real venom to them (pun intended). Even the special effects are so good that you kind of take them for granted. It's not a bad movie. It just isn't an excellent one.

I thought Spidey 2 was the best comic book movie ever made. This one, I would rank behind Spidey, Spidey2, Batman Begins, X-Men, X-Men 2....and maybe even The Fantastic Four (I shudder as I type that). However, it was better than X-Men 3, and most of the original Batmans. It was just frustrating because it could have been really good, and instead only a few parts of it were.

Still, it will do serious business....but I don't think it is the top earner of the summer.

Oh, and incidentally, one of the trailers was for Rush Hour 3. Like I said, I never really got the first two...but this trailer was really, really funny. So much that I might actually go see it.

dcarp23
05-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I agree with this assessment completely. Solid movie with solid moments, but definitely a bit of a let down in the end. I think the X-Men comparison was very apt, and you could throw an original Star Wars in there as well. Second movie even better than the first, and then the third falling short. I can't think of any trilogy, though, where the third movie has been the best.

But I, personally, couldn't live with myself if I brought up the Fantastic Four. Low blow to Spidey right there.

Channing
05-05-2007, 01:28 PM
another agreement with the general sentiment. At times I was ready for it to become a really really good movie, and then it would just drag on at other times.

I did think this was Toby Maguire's best performance of the three - I loved the "black spidey" peter parker character - . . . but I have no realy critical knowledge of acting. It just seemed like they tried to cram too many story lines into the movie and made it about 45 minutes too long.

JasonEvans
05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Clearly the movie was too long and it did not have any really compelling actor like Alfred Molina to chew up some scenes and keep you interested. When Thomas Hayden Church had his big scene at the end, he was so wooden I really did not care.

Speaking of that scene, I am still not 100% clear what happened to Sandman at the end of the movie. He just flew away in the wind, I guess. Oh well, so much for him being willing to kill to save his daughter-- he doesn't really care about her anymore. So much for Spiderman needing to bring in the bad guy, we'll just let Sandman get away. After they had Sandman survive the extended sewage dunking and come back stronger than ever, he was pretty much indestructible. I could not figure out how they were going to resolve that. Apparently, they could not figure it out either so they just had him float away. Brilliant writing!

Was the scene with Peter dancing in the bar just the worst scene in the three Spider-man movies or was it as bad as some of the stuff seen in Hulk and a few other superhero stinkers. Good god, that was awful.

I did like "black" Peter a bit.

More later-- the boxoffice was absurdly huge.

-Jason "$148 million-- that's ridiculous" Evans

Tommac
05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I read the reviews posted on this board on Friday, so I went in with low expectations when I saw it on Sunday. I was pleasantly pleased with the movie. I know there were some unanswered questions, like what actually happened to Sandman at the end. I thought the dance sequence in the jazz bar was stupid and didn't really add anything except demonstrate Peter Parker's dark side. I also don't think the black stuff was adequately explained. But then this is a fantasy story and you have to suspend most thoughts of logic or you'll never enjoy it. I did like the way Harry ended up reconciling his past with the truth regarding the fault behind his father's death. I only wonder why the butler didn't speak up sooner. The end leaves open whether there could be another sequel, but I read somewhere that Toby McGuire probably was through playing Spiderman/Peter Parker. Not sure if a sequel without Toby would go over. Overall, I enjoyed Spiderman 3, and actually I thought it was better than 2, but not as good as the original.

blublood
05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Was the scene with Peter dancing in the bar just the worst scene in the three Spider-man movies or was it as bad as some of the stuff seen in Hulk and a few other superhero stinkers. Good god, that was awful.

Yes and yes, IMO. When he was first jiving down the street, buying the cheap suit, etc. the scene ended fairly quickly and my thought (having been forewarned about the dancing scene) was, "Well, that wasn't so bad. That was actually kinda fun!"

Then we hit the bar scene and ooooooooh no.... just horribly, horribly written, like when he knocks Mary Jane to the floor and her only response to him breaking her heart, humiliating her, and now physically harming her is, "Who are you?"

JasonEvans
05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes and yes, IMO. When he was first jiving down the street, buying the cheap suit, etc. the scene ended fairly quickly and my thought (having been forewarned about the dancing scene) was, "Well, that wasn't so bad. That was actually kinda fun!"

Then we hit the bar scene and ooooooooh no.... just horribly, horribly written, like when he knocks Mary Jane to the floor and her only response to him breaking her heart, humiliating her, and now physically harming her is, "Who are you?"

Yeah, the John Travolta strut stuff wass actually fun. The bar was just awful.

And I guess they left out the part where Pete ever finds out that MJ only broke up with him because of evil Harry. What the heck was that subplot?!?! Harry tells MJ "break up with him or I will kill him" and she goes along with it?!?! Huh? She knows Pete is Spider-man. Why is she worried about Harry killing him? What on Earth was that sub-plot? They never even came close to resolving it.

If anything, Pete had the right to shove his new girlfriend in MJ's face after she broke up with him. Stupid!

-Jason "easily the worst of the 3 movies-- not even close" Evans

Udaman
05-08-2007, 02:30 PM
The breaking up part on the bridge might be the worst scene in any comic book movie....ever (and yes, that is saying something). As Jason pointed out - she knows Peter is Spiderman. She knows that he can, and has protected her. I totally thought that she was going to tell him and the he would then swing them out of there. But instead she goes through with exactly what she was told to do...and then it is never resolved.

This movie was all about not resolving things. Mary Jane is jealous of Spidey, and that is never resolved. She's mad about him kissing the girl, and walks out of the restaurant, and that is never resolved. Sandman floats away - never resolved. Ughh.

Again, it had some entertainment value. But how one poster could say they like this better than Spidey 2...just blows me away. Spidey 1 I give an A-, Spidey 2 an A+. This one a C+/B-

Tommac
05-08-2007, 03:01 PM
"But how one poster could say they like this better than Spidey 2...just blows me away. Spidey 1 I give an A-, Spidey 2 an A+. This one a C+/B-"

Everything on this board is an opinion. How well a movie conveys a message is subjective in nature. I was stating a simple opinion that I enjoyed Spiderman 3 more than 2, not that anyone would necessarily agree with me. I'm surprised that you would be "blown away" by my humble opinion.:confused:

Udaman
05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Didn't mean for my note to come across that you were wrong in your opinion. As you stated, everybody views and enjoys movies differently. I just meant it blew me away because I enjoyed Spidey 2 so much (likely due to the fact that as a kid Doc Ock was my favorite bad guy, by far), and personally couldn't see someone liking 3 better than that.

But...obviously that is just my opinion.

Again, hope I didn't come across as condescending - not my intention at all.