PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Georgia Tech Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Duke's first ACC road game tips off in less than 36 hours at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have a ton of talent but certainly cannot be described as consistent. However, I'm sure they will be hyped for the Blue Devils. Playing against Gani Lawal, Derrick Favors and Zack Peacock, will be a test for our big men upfront. It is time to start up the game discussion!

NSDukeFan
01-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Duke's first ACC road game tips off in less than 36 hours at Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have a ton of talent but certainly cannot be described as consistent. However, I'm sure they will be hyped for the Blue Devils. Playing against Gani Lawal, Derrick Favors and Zack Peacock, will be a test for our big men upfront. It is time to start up the game discussion!

Another very good test for our frontcourt (they have certainly been passing so far.) I hope our seniors (Z and Lance) continue to lead defensively and Mason and Miles continue to improve defensively. I look forward to Mason building on his last game as well and continuing to play with confidence. I expect our perimeter players to dominate. This is also a good chance for the team to show it can play well in a hostile environment and get an ACC win on the road. Go Duke!

whereinthehellami
01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

I think a big key for this game is discipline. Duke plays a very disciplined game of basketball and GT doesn't. A contrast in style so to speak.

superdave
01-08-2010, 09:20 AM
IS GT's backcourt so bad that the frontcourt is knocked down a notch in effectiveness?

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the frontcourt battle.

CDu
01-08-2010, 09:36 AM
IS GT's backcourt so bad that the frontcourt is knocked down a notch in effectiveness?

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to the frontcourt battle.

Their backcourt is pretty weak. They lost their best guard (Clinch), and the other two key players (Shumpert and Miller) seem to have regressed a bit this year. Udofia and Oliver are okay but not that great. So I guess they've replaced talent with depth.

And it should be noted that the frontcourt, while improved, may not be quite as drastically improved as some may think. They add Favors (who is an awesome talent) and have improved versions of Peacock and Lawal, but they lost Aminu who was a 12 and 8 guy last year for them.

The team is somewhat similar to UNC in that they have 2-3 really good big men but BIG questions with their backcourt. Their frontcourt is much more productive than ours - probably one of the two best in the ACC right now along with UNC in terms of having multiple top-end performers. But our backcourt is much much better than theirs.

They'll probably play a very physical game as Hewitt often prescribes. If we can handle the emotion and physicality they're sure to bring, then we should beat them pretty comfortably. After all, they have lost to Dayton, FSU, and @Georgia (the first two are solid but not great teams, the third is bad). But Tech has a way of "uglying" up the game enough to keep it close and/or win.

Channing
01-08-2010, 10:37 AM
just an fyi for any duke fans going to the game, the Duke Club of Atlanta is meeting at Marlows Tavern on West Peachtree (at 8th Stree) starting around noon to watch the UConn game, have some food, and then head over to the game.

JDev
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
While GT has been very inconsistent this year, you can count on them getting up for this one. With a good defensive effort from the frontcourt, Duke should be able to weather the storm.

trinity92
01-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Has anyone else noticed Miles' development defensively the last two games? I watched him play solid defense on Booker in the Clemson game, although he allowed Booker to turn left across the lane several times to get short shots. In the ISU game, however, we saw Brackens try the same move, but MP1 had learned from the prior game, and he cut off the lane and forced Brackens to take a tough shot, which he missed. He's still a work in progress, and prone to a silly foul from time to time, but I'm encouraged by what I see.

I think a good basketball team has to have the option to throw the ball inside to a post man who can make a move and be a credible scoring threat. Doesn't have to be double figure scoring in the post, but there has to be that credible inside option, otherwise the team is completely at the mercy of the outside shooting gods, who have this nasty habit of reminding us of our frailty, at least once in 6 games. Lack of a credible inside threat also allows teams to focus on our big 3, which makes their lives much harder. It's up to either/both of the MPs to become that credible post threat. I am really looking forward to seeing the MPs develop over the next couple months.

Classof06
01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
just an fyi for any duke fans going to the game, the Duke Club of Atlanta is meeting at Marlows Tavern on West Peachtree (at 8th Stree) starting around noon to watch the UConn game, have some food, and then head over to the game.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to the game tomorrow; floor seats, center court. Cannot wait.

4decadedukie
01-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Has anyone else noticed Miles' development defensively the last two games? I watched him play solid defense on Booker in the Clemson game, although he allowed Booker to turn left across the lane several times to get short shots. In the ISU game, however, we saw Brackens try the same move, but MP1 had learned from the prior game, and he cut off the lane and forced Brackens to take a tough shot, which he missed. He's still a work in progress, and prone to a silly foul from time to time, but I'm encouraged by what I see.

I have noticed this and suspect it is a key for late-season success (future years, as well). Excellent, expeditious work by Miles and Wojo.

Baxter the Lab
01-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Huge game for the Devils.

Front-page article did a great job of breaking down the X's and O's, and highlighting the great amount of talent GT displays.

While GT certainly possesses a great deal of talent, Duke will counter with experience (as well as talent). We start 4 upper-classmen who have all been through these battles and will not get rattled by the atmosphere.

That will be the difference.

BD80
01-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Is this one of the three most important games of the regular season?

Conference road game against a team picked to be near the top of the conference. Tech has lots of talent, and this is a good measure of our front court.

Other than the unc games, is there a bigger game this season?

dairedevil
01-09-2010, 01:48 PM
1 point game, 3 minutes left, uconn/georgetown... How much of the first half of Duke/Tech will we miss?

YourLandlord
01-09-2010, 01:51 PM
1 point game, 3 minutes left, uconn/georgetown... How much of the first half of Duke/Tech will we miss?

it's gonna be tight...hopefully it stays 1 pt lead back and forth so no fouling.

great ending...given that it's 2 sloppy teams.

riverside6
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
you can follow the live tempo-based stats here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3755

snowdenscold
01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
http://www.justin.tv/jamaal305#r=E2IDm3g if anyone needs it.

Miles + Jon show so far.

Edit: Nice allyoop dunk by Mason from Jon. Georgia Tech is being forced to take a lot of tough jumpers.

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
That little post move from Miles is exactly what I've been hoping he'd do all season. Nothing crazy, just use your size and athleticism to bump the defender and get a clean look. Nice touch, too.

YourLandlord
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
We need to handle this size better. Especially for my Duke -7.5 to hold up.

superdave
01-09-2010, 02:26 PM
We need to attack a little more. I think if we push the pace on O, they will foul us. We are getting into the lane nicely though.

snowdenscold
01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
A field goal on O or no TO/foul on D would be nice...

Edit: Singler 3, Dawkins dunk - that'll do... for now =)

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Loosen up that whistle on the other side of the court ref. Dont let em rattle you Lance.

slower
01-09-2010, 02:45 PM
This is even uglier than I thought it could be. :(

It's a freaking mugging. Bilas keeps talking about having a playground mentality, because you won't get any calls. Then WHY do they even have refs there? This kind of hyper-aggressive and physical play is typical of Georgia Tech.

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Scheyer was fouled at LEAST 3 seperate times on that possession before the under 4:00 TO. As Jay B said, can't 'expect' to get calls on the road but come ON REF!!!!

_Gary
01-09-2010, 02:48 PM
This is pretty typical of conference play in that an aggressive pressing team generally gets away with a lot of physical play at home. This one might be tough all the way down to the wire. We are not handling either the press or the half-court defense of GT well at all right now.

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Anybody catch what was being called on during Jon'S FT?

_Gary
01-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Just saw a perfect example of the home reffing call where Miles was whistled for a ticky tack foul when he and his brother went for an aggressive double on Favors with about 3:24 to go in the half. He did nothing more than GT players are doing every time down when they are on defense and clawing at the Duke players.

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 02:52 PM
We can't hit jack from 3...bummer...

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 02:53 PM
We need our 3s

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
If only they called this many travels on Hansbrough. sigh.

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 02:55 PM
The one thing I like about this game is it's the kind of tough, knock down, dragout brawl that destroyed us at Clemson last year, and we're not backing down at all.

I'm tentatively hopeful that our waves of big guys will start to wear Tech down in the 2nd half, and this ridiculous intensity they're playing with will start to fade as our big 3 get going. But we'll see.

ETA: Mason Plumlee was definitely our 2nd best player in that half. Interesting.

slower
Basically, saying that the refs should have been calling this crap at the START of the game. Amen.

_Gary
Andre's had a couple of good looks where he was squared up when he got the ball and he hasn't hit the three. We need those to start going in again like they were early in the season for him.

slower
01-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Just like a regular alley-oop, but without the jumping and dunking! :)

devildownunder
01-09-2010, 02:59 PM
just saw mason plumlee w/a nice rebound and putback, and 1. dude is going to be a STUD.

Some observations,

First, nolan needs to be MUCH more assertive on offense, both attacking and just in helping get the ball up the floor. GTech is trapping and playing very physical, Scheyer needs some help with the lead guard responsibilities or he will wear down in this game. Plus, for us to be as good as we can be, he needs to step up.

Love the defensive effort so far.

Offense started white hot, and then struggled. just in the last few minutes has got back in the flow. mason plumlee has contributed to that.

Nice to see dawkins get in during the first half for at least a bit.

Want to see miles plumlee work on not fouling so much. some of it is rep, but still.

Singler still not really feeling it.

officiating in this game lacking. play is physical. fine, but our big men just don't get the leeway our opponents' do. my big problem, though, is the handling of things while scheyer's at the line. right now I'm seeing the second time he's had to wait forever to get the ball at the line.

dairedevil
01-09-2010, 03:00 PM
It seems like every game played at Tech is one of these ugly, physical, lousily-called (both ways) wars! Then, just when the players are accepting the type of game, the refs decide it is time to call every ticky-tacky reach in that they see?

devildownunder
01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Teams you watched live and remember well are being honored at halftime of today's game to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their championship. Man, Salley, Price and Dalrymple are old men? My god, when did that happen?

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty impressed that we're up 6 in a loosely called game while only shooting 15% from the three point line.

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Refs did let things get carried away and then tried to square things up. Bet after the half the'll come out whistle-happy. Hope we are careful to start.

OldSchool
01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
When Andre is in there, GT is allowing him open looks. Those shots just haven't fallen for Andre yet. If Andre gets some more looks in the 2d half, those shots will fall.

I wish we would attack more once they we beaten the full court press to half court. I loved the long touchdown pass attempt to Nolan early in the game. But usually, once we beat the press to halfcourt we don't aggressively attack the rim. We need to.

devildownunder
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
We can't hit jack from 3...bummer...

yet we are up by 6 at the half. This team's offense depends much less on 3s than other recent Duke teams have. That's one of the things I like about it.

In fact, we're so good on the boards this year that we'll have games where some of our best shots are missed three-pointers.

I love it.

Bob Green
01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Our big frontcourt players looked solid in the first half. Mason with 6 points/5 rebounds, Miles with 4 points/3 rebounds, and Zoubek with 4 points/3 rebounds. Duke outrebounded GT 16-11.

We need our 3-pointers to start falling in the 2nd half. We were 2-13 in the first half. Dawkins had a couple of nice looks but they didn't go down, he needs to keep shooting.

airowe
01-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty impressed that we're up 6 in a loosely called game while only shooting 15% from the three point line.

Me too. Jon is finding ways to put our guys in position to score down low. And scoring himself...

roywhite
Shoulda figured Hewitt and his guys would go for a rough game like this.

Come on, Nolan and Kyle; you guys are the vets, give Jon a little more support.

SCMatt33
I'm still a little worried that 41% of our shots came from three point land.

dairedevil
01-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Miles has 4 - that's bound to impact the inside game in the 2nd half.

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Didn't realize Miles had 4 PFs. Wish that wasn't so.

Bob Green
01-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Didn't realize Miles had 4 PFs. Wish that wasn't so.

I remember Miles' 3rd foul on the double team on Favors, but do not remember the fourth. Perhaps this is an ESPN box score error.

slower
01-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I remember Miles' 3rd foul on the double team on Favors, but do not remember the fourth. Perhaps this is an ESPN box score error.

CNN/SI shows only 3 on Miles.

Kedsy
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Going through the play-by-play also shows just 3.

OldSchool
01-09-2010, 03:16 PM
It's kind of amazing that with all the physical bangers down low on both teams in this game, Kyle is tied for the most rebounds.

That guy is just relentless!

Bob Green
01-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Going through the play-by-play also shows just 3.

That's good news as we are going to need Miles in the second half.

Bob Green
01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
He has four now!

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:17 PM
might as well have been 4

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 03:19 PM
4 fouls on Miles with 19:30 to go. Not good in this game.

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:19 PM
we need at at least a couple threes if we want to win.

-bdbd
01-09-2010, 03:20 PM
During the halftime show they were talking about how GT has lost a bunch of close ones, melting away in the second half. Digger pipes in that this is where he expects Duke to assert itself and just run away with it.... Uh-oh. 'know we're in trouble now!

;)

P.S. Bilas doing a generally good job, but the other announcer is just awful =- calling guys by wrong names, totally missing plays, saying one thing then contradicting himelf... SHEESH!

dairedevil
Sorry, I was following ESPN's stats. But became true all too soon.

grossbus
Will someone PLEASE make a J.

slower
01-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Get that buffoon off the air! (actually, he's pretty darn funny)

Get it, Mason!!

OldSchool
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
2-16 from three and still up by 6.

I can't believe this poor outside shooting is going to last the entire game.

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:32 PM
how are we winning this game?

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 03:33 PM
2-16 from three and still up by 6.

I can't believe this poor outside shooting is going to last the entire game.

It's not just outside shooting, we're missing open 5-footers right now. We've just got to start making shots, simple as that.

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
And that wasn't a foul?

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:35 PM
...and GT's making heavily challenged jumpers

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
gotta feel pretty good, only down 1, with singler playing this poorly

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
If we're shooting 11% from beyond the arc, why are we shooting MORE three's than normal.

gep
01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Kyle's got 4... Nolan's got 2... they gotta get in gear...

grossbus
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
We would be ok if we could just make some shots. No evidence we can do that, however.

dairedevil
01-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Nolan isn't scoring, either - he's only got 2 points to Kyle's 4

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 03:45 PM
nice pass!!!!

dukebballcamper90-91
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
how many times has the ball been freakn' kicked this game? dang shot clock violation

_Gary
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
GT's bigs are much stronger with the ball than our guys (other than Mason, who's had his best game yet). They have hands like vise grips, while we are having the ball poked away regularly. Oh, and they are killing us on the offensive boards.

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 03:48 PM
singler is playing soooo poorly, it's amazing

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Time out anyone?

_Gary
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Bottom line, they want it more right now. They are getting every lose ball, or so it seems to me.

SCMatt33
I remember youth basketball when they taught me some ancient technique called BOXING OUT!!!!!

dukebballcamper90-91
Lawal is tuff

slower
01-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Let's see what we've got.

Anybody else starting to question the "Singler as a 3" experiment? I mean, I absolutely LOVE the guy, but his frustration level seems to be mounting as the season progresses.

lpd1982
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Nolan and Kyle can decide to win this game. GT does not play this hard this long. Time to get in the game boys we need more than two players.

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Bottom line, they want it more right now. They are getting every lose ball, or so it seems to me.

Yeah... we've looked different in our two road games this year. We just don't get to the loose balls and do the little things, it seems like.

Big, big shot, Nolan.

ETA: What a shot by Jon. To make that after going 1-8 from 3 to that point, wow.

devildownunder
01-09-2010, 03:53 PM
nolan drains the 3 off the screen from Zoub. The "patented" duke high ball screen is potential much more deadly with nolan than w/scheyer. but nolan has to step up his aggression to make it work. He's gotta be lead guard in a lot of situations for us this year. He's got to do it for us to be special.

He just did it down the stretch of a tight game. That's a good sign.

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
2 in a row, lets go threes!

bluebuck
01-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Jon scheyer!!!

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 03:55 PM
someone's gotta tell kyle that the game started

bluebuck
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
someone's gotta tell kyle that the game started

I agree come on Kyle

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
How in the world does GT only have 5 FOULS 15 mins into the 2nd half? Yeah...right!

YourLandlord
01-09-2010, 03:57 PM

They're getting to the loose balls, but not cause they want it more, they're simply more athletic.

FireOgilvie
Singler has been a step slow the entire year off the drive (he's being guarded by smaller guards a lot), which is why he's having so much trouble getting separation on his shots and is getting a lot of his interior shots blocked. GT is a very good defensive team and Singler does not look good against them. If he wants to make it in the NBA, he's going to have to improve his quickness.

Scheyer has been saving us all day and Mason is playing his best game yet.

rotogod00
there we go kyle

bluebuck
about time Kyle - Thank You

_Gary
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
A very silly foul by Zoubs.

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Singler has been a step slow the entire year off the drive (he's being guarded by smaller guards a lot), which is why he's having so much trouble getting separation on his shots and is getting a lot of his interior shots blocked. GT is a very good defensive team and Singler does not look good against them. If he wants to make it in the NBA, he's going to have to improve his quickness.

Scheyer has been saving us all day and Mason is playing his best game yet.

that's why he's projected to go early in the 2nd round right now

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Ok, I don't expect much from Z offensively even though he IS in his 4th year but...he really should know better than to commit a WEAK foul like that late in the game! Jeez dude!

_Gary
01-09-2010, 04:00 PM
They're getting to the loose balls, but not cause they want it more, they're simply more athletic.

I know. We are alarmingly unathletic this year. LOL

In all seriousness, they are very athletic upfront and that has certainly helped them. But I still think they've been more aggressive (i.e. "wanted it more") for much of the game.

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 04:02 PM
like kyle's aggression there

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I think we're going to see a lot more pressure in the half court after this game.

devildownunder
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM

In all seriousness, they are very athletic upfront and that has certainly helped them. But I still think they've been more aggressive (i.e. "wanted it more") for much of the game.

aggressiveness maybe. but they're stronger for sure. i think we may see the opposition get to more loose balls inside against us this year. we have a lot of depth inside but no especially strong guys. that'll take care of itself next year -- or rather, the weight room will take care of it. MP2 will be a beast before he leaves.

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 04:06 PM
forced shot

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
holy crap. big trouble here w smith

Greg_Newton
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh no, Nolan! No, no, no.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease just be a cramp. I'll gladly take a loss in exchange for a healthy Nolan...

Eternal Outlaw
01-09-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't see it. Mason ended up on the ground going for a board and was rewarded with a foul. Smith blocked a GT guy from behind and the ball goes directly to a GT. GT had a bad pass and te guy saves it not looking, again to a GT guy. GT air ball and again, GT there by luck. Ball is bouncing their way but not because they want it more, simply lucky to be in the right place.

slower
01-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease just be a cramp. I'll gladly take a loss in exchange for a healthy Nolan...

Seems like that's what's going to happen.

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 04:10 PM

agreed

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM

LOTS of ball left to be played...I have faith we'll fight to the end

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
huuuuuuuuuge trap

rotogod00
01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
man, singler couldn't be playing a worse game if he tried

ChrisP
HUGE steal by Jon and dunk by Miles!!!

FireOgilvie
Paul Hewitt is horrible at end-of-game situations. This isn't over yet.

lpd1982

NO! nEVER BEFORE IT'S OVER

SCMatt33
man, singler couldn't be playing a worse game if he tried

You have to give GT some credit for that. They put him back on his heels

SCMatt33
01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
that'll probably do it

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I LOVE Jon Scheyer but...that was NOT a good decision to force that 3

slower
NO! nEVER BEFORE IT'S OVER

Was attempting a reverse-karma ploy.

rotogod00
lucky. that was awful to let him near that ball

Eternal Outlaw
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
For as good as Scheyer has been this year, I've seen 3 really horrible shot decisions this half from him.

_Gary
01-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I still say GT was the much more aggressive team today, and in my book that's the same thing as saying they wanted it more. But to each his own on definitions. I won't have a falling out with anyone over that point.

I agree that GT was much stronger with the ball today, and they absolutely got to far more loose balls today than we did (which again I think points to the "they wanted it more" phrase). We have to be stronger with the ball in our hands. How many times did they knock the ball out of our guys' hands today? A bunch for sure.

devildownunder
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I hope and expect that we'll execute better next time we're in this situation. this is why being on the road in conference is where you really grow as a team.

FerryFor50
01-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Outrebounded, out-hustled, out-worked. If they pull this one out, they earned it.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Boy, that was ugggglllllyyyy!!!!! Scheyer and Singler combined for what, 4-19 from the 3 point stripe? Way to lay an egg boys.

ChrisP
01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I hope and expect that we'll execute better next time we're in this situation. this is why being on the road in conference is where you really grow as a team.

Yeah but...you just can't expect to win when you shoot like 6-26 from 3