PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Iowa State

Jumbo
01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Iowa State?

jipops
01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Jon Scheyer: best player in the city of Chicago tonight.

JayBean
01-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I gave my vote to Lance for his defense and hitting some open jumpers. He did a really good job (the best of our bigs?)

jv001
01-06-2010, 11:04 PM
No suspense tonight. Had to be Jon. Mason played his best game since his wrist injury. Go Duke!

SCMatt33
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Lance did a great job on D, but you have to give it to the man from Chicago.

dyedwab
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
...but I voted for Lance for his D on Brackins... Second straight game Lance has held down an NBA-level big man....

...Kudos

strawbs
01-06-2010, 11:08 PM
i went with lance. Jon was by far the best player out there tonight, but lance did a great job on d, and was a solid contributor on offense. Since he's only had a handful of great all around games like this in his career, i feel he needs to be recognized.

BlueDevilCorvette!
01-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Proud of the entire team. If Dawkins and Kelly finally get in a groove, Duke will be primed for a Final Four run! Lance played NBA caliber defense tonight...good job!

westwall
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Jon, but Lance and Nolan were also key. While Singler's shot was not falling, his rebounding and over-all play was important. In short, a TEAM victory.

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Assassin, please explain the Dawkins vote? I see Z got a vote for some unkown reason too, but at least he has some rebounds in the boxscore.

AlaskanAssassin
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Assassin, please explain the Dawkins vote? I see Z got a vote for some unkown reason too, but at least he has some rebounds in the boxscore.

Just having fun, we all know Jon is the man of the match. We all know he played incredible.

wallyman
01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Had to vote for Scheyer, but how 'bout Lance? Man, is he getting it done. Serious senior leadership...:)

JaMarcus Russell
01-06-2010, 11:59 PM
It was great to see Jon have such a great game in his hometown. Lance did a great job on Brackins and showed a decent shooting stroke as well. I liked that Singler passed the ball to more open players a few times. Good passing from Singler and Smith can help this team get to the Final 4.

I thought Mason had some great moments tonight as well, even though he missed a lot of short baskets. Without a doubt though, Jon had to be the player of the game.

southgater
01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Jon had a great game and I could have easily voted for him. However, I went with Lance for his great defense and for those couple of early shots he hit that I think set the tone for the game and kept ISU from playing 5 on 4 defense.

-bdbd
01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
It is human nature to focus more on scoring totals than defense. But I'd like to see them equally weighted. And Lance's D on Brackens -- a future Lottery pick and ISU's best player -- was incredible. Brackens had, I believe, 4 points with about 10 minutes to go. He was their best shot to stay in the game, yet EVERY shot he took, per Bilas, had a "high degree of difficulty." That's all you can ask of your D. And LT was simply everywhere -- boxing out Brackens, in the passing lanes, rotating well for helpside, just very smart play (with few fouls for time played)...

:D

dball
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Had to vote for Jon as he was fantastice, but admire Lance's D and Nolan's timely shooting as well.

geraldsneighbor
01-07-2010, 12:27 AM
If it wasn't unanimous tonight, I'm afraid it'll never be.

gep
01-07-2010, 01:15 AM
...but I voted for Lance for his D on Brackins... Second straight game Lance has held down an NBA-level big man....

...Kudos

I voted for Jon... kept leading the team masterfully. But Lance... wow... maybe really will get to the NBA?:rolleyes:

stickdog
01-07-2010, 03:11 AM
Scheytown is my kind of town.

Thomas played like Billy King tonight, though.

JDev
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Lance's defense on Brackins was great, but Scheyer had the kind of game players dream of having in front of their hometown fans. Another terrific night for him. He is just playing at a crazy high level right now.

Battierfan01
01-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Lance did an outstanding job on defense stopping Iowa State's best player, but I have to give my vote to Jon. He always seems to get us going anytime the offense starts to struggle.

CDu
01-07-2010, 09:05 AM
If it wasn't unanimous tonight, I'm afraid it'll never be.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if there will ever be a unanimous selection. There have been several games the last year or so with the obvious player of the game. But some people are contrarians, some are comedians, and some simply choose to recognize a lesser-lauded player.

My vote went to Scheyer. I'm just really impressed with how much better he is playing at the PG position this year than last year. His A:TO ratio at PG was pretty poor (18:14). This year, it'll likely end up above 3 (he's at about 3.5 against BCS/Top-25 teams this season). And unlike Paulus's jump in A:TO ratio, Scheyer's improvement has been due to doubling his assist totals rather than maintaining a low assist rate and cutting down on turnovers. And he's not been below 2 in A:TO ratio in any single game.

And on top of that, he's been even more impressive as a scorer so far this year. Aside from a somewhat rough 3-game stretch from UConn to St John's, Scheyer's scoring efficiency has been consistently great along with the glowing A:TO stats.

For a guy who has had a tendency to be very streaky as a shooter, it's impressive how consistently efficient Scheyer has been both as a scorer and distributor this year.

HCheek37
01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
might be time to institute a 2 poll format....

Best of the 3 S's

and

Best of the rest

or something like that because over the last 2 games LT and Zoubs deserve mention but still didn't overcome the performances by Scheyer (ISU) and Smith (Clemson)

what do you think?

CDu
01-07-2010, 09:21 AM
might be time to institute a 2 poll format....

Best of the 3 S's

and

Best of the rest

or something like that because over the last 2 games LT and Zoubs deserve mention but still didn't overcome the performances by Scheyer (ISU) and Smith (Clemson)

what do you think?

Yeah, unlike previous seasons (basically when we had 4-5 possibilities on the perimeter AND a guy like Singler/McRoberts/Williams in the post), I feel like it will take just "decent" games from the big three and an otherwordly effort from another player to get the player of the game awards. The team is so reliant on our three veteran perimeter players on the offensive end that it is likely that the big three will take all but one or two of the honors the rest of the way. The only exception I can see would be if Mason Plumlee has a "lightbulb" moment and goes from being occasionally effective to a consistent force.

NSDukeFan
01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
It is human nature to focus more on scoring totals than defense. But I'd like to see them equally weighted. And Lance's D on Brackens -- a future Lottery pick and ISU's best player -- was incredible. Brackens had, I believe, 4 points with about 10 minutes to go. He was their best shot to stay in the game, yet EVERY shot he took, per Bilas, had a "high degree of difficulty." That's all you can ask of your D. And LT was simply everywhere -- boxing out Brackens, in the passing lanes, rotating well for helpside, just very smart play (with few fouls for time played)...

:D

I agree Lance was great defensively last night and this year and has been a very good senior leader so far. However, Jon, in addition to his spectacular offensive game, took away their best 3-point shooter and was also fantastic defensively. Much as we don't want to underrate defense, let's not underrate Jon's D.

sleepybear
01-08-2010, 02:05 AM
MOTM to date.

14 games:

Jon Scheyer - 4 (ASU,GW,Penn,ISU) - 676 votes all games
Nolan Smith - 3 (Char, Gonz, Clem) - 269
Kyle Singler - 3 (UNC-G, Coastal, Wisc) - 213
Lance Thomas - 2 (U-Con, ST. Johns) - 306
Andre Dawkins - 1 (Radford) - 179
Brian Zoubek - 1 (LBSU) - 78

Indoor66
01-08-2010, 08:01 AM
MOTM to date.

14 games:

Interesting info. Why don't you keep it running through the rest of the season?

davekay1971
01-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Voted for Lance for a defensive performance against an opposing star that reminded me of Billy King vs. Mark Macon.

CDu
01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
MOTM to date.

14 games:

I get different vote totals but the same winners:
Scheyer: 772
Smith: 366
Singler: 282
Thomas: 186
Dawkins: 179
Zoubek: 79
Mason: 32
Miles: 18
Kelly: 9
Others (Davidson, Czyz, Johnson): 8

The vote totals for Singler and Scheyer are artificially low because the voting was really low in four of the games they earned top honors (Penn, Coastal, UNCG, and ASU). It's also interesting that the race was very close between Scheyer and the winner (4 votes behind Zoubek in the LBSU game, 12 behind Thomas in the SJU game). Those two games and the Clemson game (in which the big three split like 95% of the votes pretty evenly) are the only games in which the winner didn't get at least 60% of the vote himself.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I am shocked at how low Nolan's vote total is this game. He performed very well and i expected at least double digit vote totals for him. Oh well.

Acymetric
01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I am shocked at how low Nolan's vote total is this game. He performed very well and i expected at least double digit vote totals for him. Oh well.

Come on, Jon drops 31 in front of his home crowd? He's definitely going to get most of the votes. Nolan played well, no question, but that was Jon's night.

airowe
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM

You didn't even vote for him!