PDA

View Full Version : First time Cameron Indoor

iamgumbyjm
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
My first trip to Cameron Indoor is going to be the grandaddy of all games...Carolina at Duke! Can't wait till March 6th! Leaving from middle Tennessee on Wednesday and playing golf along the way. Plan on getting into Durham on Friday night.

Any suggestions on what to do in Durham that night and Saturday? Game doesn't tip off till 9:00 PM and we may play golf in the area that morning as well. I'm sure College Game-Day will be there, so what time will everything get going? Any places to "hang out?"

I've heard you need to get in to CIS about an hour or more before tip-off to see the trophies and memoribilia, etc. I know a/c has been added to CIS, but I've heard it still gets hot in there. Is this true? Any other bits of info are greatly appreciated.
JM

PumpkinFunk
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
My first trip to Cameron Indoor is going to be the grandaddy of all games...Carolina at Duke! Can't wait till March 6th! Leaving from middle Tennessee on Wednesday and playing golf along the way. Plan on getting into Durham on Friday night.

Any suggestions on what to do in Durham that night and Saturday? Game doesn't tip off till 9:00 PM and we may play golf in the area that morning as well. I'm sure College Game-Day will be there, so what time will everything get going? Any places to "hang out?"

I've heard you need to get in to CIS about an hour or more before tip-off to see the trophies and memoribilia, etc. I know a/c has been added to CIS, but I've heard it still gets hot in there. Is this true? Any other bits of info are greatly appreciated.
JM

College Game Day should start around 11 AM on Saturday morning, if I remember correctly from 2 years ago, and it'll run an hour, and then they'll do some pre-game probably starting around 7 or 8 PM before the game (I think?). It's not the most exciting thing to be at, but I did really enjoy it the first time around and I'll be there again this year. Beyond that, I honestly can't say what will or will not be open on campus - it's spring break (starts that day) and a lot is closed despite it being the day of the Carolina game. I don't have a lot of other suggestions beyond that, mostly because I'll be in the campus bubble of the Carolina game day.

DukeFanSince1990
01-06-2010, 09:00 PM

JM

Bullock's BBQ

3330 Quebec Dr
Durham, NC 27705

Best eastern style NC BBQ.....ever.

jjasper0729
01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Bullock's BBQ

3330 Quebec Dr
Durham, NC 27705

Best eastern style NC BBQ.....ever.

I'll grant you it's good, but it doesn't touch my cousin's cooker in his back yard at home (near Wilmington, NC) :)

Ole Time on Western between Raleigh and Cary is also a testament to eastern style bbq

-bdbd
01-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Ideas for activities that weekend:

Take a nice long walking tour of the Duke campus (preferably guided). It is one of the prettiest campuses I've ever been on -- and I've seen over 100. It is very "walkable."

Make sure to visit the Duke Chapel (more like a cathedral) and the Bryan Center (student activities center, incl restaurants and large book store).

Go by Wallace Wade FB Stadium, where the Rose Bowl was once played.

Attached to Cameron, check out the Duke BB Hall of Fame.

Beyond the campus, generally Durham city is not considered much of a tourist spot. You might take a quick ride 7 miles down the road SW to see how the fans of the Dark Side are preparing for/anticipating the big game in Chapel Hell, as long as you can put up with all of that feminine blue color. Also some nice restaurants along Franklin street - I suggest Spanky's.

The Duke Forest near the Duke campus has a lot of trails for hiking.

If you are a college fan or college BB fan, drive 25 miles east to see NC State and the new (RBC Center) and old (Reynolds) BB stadiums. Same for the Dean Dome on the outskirts of that campus. Wake's campus is just over an hour west.

As was posted earlier, there are several great BBQ restaurants in/around Durham.

If, as you say, you want to golf, I'd recommend the course at Duke -- just behind the Washington Inn. Very nice course. Well done facillities. The Inn is a 5 mninute walk from Cameron.

Hope that helps! Have fun! :D:D

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Cameron now opens one hour before game time. The lines to get in may be rather long that night..... yes, there are now lines to get in upstairs as well as for the student section downstairs.

Great barbecue served in the concourse of Cameron: Hursey's from Mebane, NC. I think it's even better than Bullock's.

CameronBornAndBred
01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
No suggestions from me other than be prepared to have the time of your life. There is no experience equal to that of Duke-unc in Cameron.

ricks68
01-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Go to previous threads on this subject. Start by scrolling down to the bottom of this thread and have a go. Lots of great info.

ricks

Exiled_Devil
01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Ideas for activities that weekend:
Beyond the campus, generally Durham city is not considered much of a tourist spot. You might take a quick ride 7 miles down the road SW to see how the fans of the Dark Side are preparing for/anticipating the big game in Chapel Hell, as long as you can put up with all of that feminine blue color. Also some nice restaurants along Franklin street - I suggest Spanky's.

Don't poop on Durham like that. As a Durham resident, I can tell you a bunch of places to visit in the city and also tell you that Durham has better restaurants than anything that Chapel Hill has to offer (with the possible exception of Il Palio)

You have Bennet Farm, where the last pieces of the Confederate army surrendered.

Museum of Science is top-notch if you have a child in tow.

Duke Homestead is a nice historic perspective on why Duke University even exists.

Brightleaf square has a great collection of bars and restaurants - Satisfactions is the most Duked-out place I have ever seen, including the transcript from The Shot going across the molding in the entryway. Get the french fries or chips - best items on the menu.

I'm too tired to list more stuff - I'll continue later. But advice that sends you away from Durham for eating/drinking or entertainment is either outdated or never fully experienced the city in the first place.

(There is no reason to ever travel south on 15-501 past East Gate. Ever.)

verga
01-07-2010, 01:09 AM
it gets very hot in Cameron, they put in air conditioning several years back but they won't use it. i'm telling you when you come out of there, you will be soaked and very hoarse and your ears will be ringing. i'd walk the campus (West) the football stadium, Wallace Wade is 30 yards from Cameron. If you like golf the Washington Duke is a very good and hard course, they played a NCAA there some time ago and its a 5 minute walk to Cameron. Chapel Hill is right up the road but why spoil a great trip? I'd look at all the basketball hoopla upstairs on the concourse. There are no words to describe Cameron Indoor, it is a piece of basketball history, enjoy it and have a good time. Oh yeah, i almost forgot, you'll see Krzyzewskiville outside with all the tents, some of the kids have been camping there for several months. GTHCGTH

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-07-2010, 09:26 AM
One little note to think about when you're taking in the exterior and interior features and atmosphere of Cameron:

Rose Bowl money paid for this building. The man responsible is Wallace Wade, the same guy credited with making Alabama football what it is today, at least that's what Bear Bryant used to say. (With Alabama playing Texas for the national championship tonight, that notion may take on new meaning.)

When you walk about nearby Wallace Wade Stadium, remember that this is the only place outside Pasadena where the Rose Bowl has ever been played. World War II had begun and there were security concerns on the West Coast. Wallace Wade was the one who came up with the idea to relocate and host the game. In addition, the football stadium was the first major building completed on the West Campus (main campus).

Some would say that the area occupied by these two facilities is hallowed ground.

Since you are likely going to be in the area on Friday, don't miss the carillon concert at 5P. There is a concert each day at 5P, but Friday is special because the Duke Alma Mater is included in the selections because of the request of Terry Sanford former president of the University.

MulletMan
01-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Don't poop on Durham like that. As a Durham resident, I can tell you a bunch of places to visit in the city and also tell you that Durham has better restaurants than anything that Chapel Hill has to offer (with the possible exception of Il Palio)

You have Bennet Farm, where the last pieces of the Confederate army surrendered.

Museum of Science is top-notch if you have a child in tow.

Duke Homestead is a nice historic perspective on why Duke University even exists.

Brightleaf square has a great collection of bars and restaurants - Satisfactions is the most Duked-out place I have ever seen, including the transcript from The Shot going across the molding in the entryway. Get the french fries or chips - best items on the menu.

I'm too tired to list more stuff - I'll continue later. But advice that sends you away from Durham for eating/drinking or entertainment is either outdated or never fully experienced the city in the first place.

(There is no reason to ever travel south on 15-501 past East Gate. Ever.)

Amen.

You want restaurants? The Federal, Piedmont, Revolution, Dos Perros, Broad St. Cafe, Watts Grocery

You wanna drink? Whiskey, James Joyce, Bull McCabe's, The Federal, Six Plates Wine Bar

You want to hang out, have a beer and watch the game? Satisfaction's, Devine's

You want live music? Pinhook, Broad St. Cafe

You want culture? The Nasher Museum of Art, The Durham Performing Arts Center (The Broadway production of Wicked will be at the DPAC that weekend, BTW.)

You want out-door-sey? Eno River State Park, The Duke Forrest Trails

You want local wares and food? Durham Farmer's Market... every Saturday morning downtown.

What else you want?

Durham is a fantastic city! The people are friendly, the burgeoning foodie scene is amazing, and the local culture and flavor abounds.

DukeFanSince1990
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
I think someone else has said it too but just walking around inside of CIS is pretty sweet. There are displays on all the NPOY winners Duke has had...Thats pretty cool. The atmosphere outside CIS will be electric too. DARN YOUR LUCKY!

should_be_working
01-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I just went to Cameron for the first time and to sound corny it was a dream come true. Nothing quite like it. I sat in the second level - eye level with the National Championship banners. It wasn't too hot up there, of course waiting in line for an hour outside with temps in the teens helped with the "not that hot" feeling inside.

At the end of the game we were able to walk around in the stands and take pictures and then walk out onto the floor too. That was amazing - I had no idea that people could do that. I sat on the bench, got pictures of the center court circle, the "Coach K Court" emblem and basically walked every inch of the court. Saw Jon's parents and Andre Dawkins as we walked back to our car.

I would also recommend, if you need some new Duke gear, the university store (has everything you could possibly want) and the Duck Store on 9th street I believe - also saw Jon's dad there too.

All in all it was a remarkable trip. After being there, I feel closer to the university and the program - we're no longer strangers even though we are 100s of miles apart. Undoubtedly one of the best moments of my life.

Olympic Fan
01-07-2010, 11:02 AM

More than "the last pieces" -- Johnston's surrender at Bennett Place was the largest Confederate surrender of the war -- he surrendered more than twice as many men as Lee surrendered at Appomattax. In fact, it's the largest single surrender of American troops (if you count Rebs as Americans) in U.S. history. Worth a visit -- about 15 minutes from the Duke campus.

If you haven't been in the area before, I would recommend a drive to Chapel Hill and the UNC campus -- just to get a sense of how close together the two campuses are. But I agree that there's no need to get out of the car over there -- on the whole, better restaurants in Durham. Let me add the recommendation for Bullocks (less than five minutes from the Duke campus). Great 'que (although I prefer the sliced to the chopped), but also a huge menu that highlights the best of Southern cooking.

weezie
01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Beers after game, Charlies, on Ninth off east campus.

Fingers crossed that general hilarity/joy/innocent mayhem will be included.

See you there.

SharkD
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Durham Restaurant/Bar Blog: http://carpedurham.com/

A Great General Durham Blog: http://www.bullcityrising.com/

Durham Architectural History Blog: http://endangereddurham.blogspot.com/

Durham Social/Art Happenings: http://www.durhamsocialite.com/

For Duke paraphenalia, visit the University Store (http://www.dukestores.duke.edu/retail/universitystore/) in the Bryan Student Center and the Duck Shop (http://www.theduckshop.net/), located on Ninth Street, across from Perry Street.

When I moved back to Durham, from D.C. in 2006, Gourmet magazine's list of the top 50 restaurants in the nation had more Durham and Chapel Hill selections than D.C.-metro area choices.

Between Four Square, Magnolia Grill, Nana's, Parizade, Revolution, Rue Cler, Piedmont, Pop's, Watts Grocery, Tosca and Parizade, there's plenty of upscale dining.

Satisfaction, Bull McCabe's, the James Joyce, the Federal, Tyler's Taproom (chain), City Beverage and the Green Room, to name a few, there's plenty of good bars.

Lots of good ethnic food too: International Palace (ethiopian), Cosmic Cantina (the original), International Delights (best kebab house south of D.C.'s Moby Dick), Verde (new-wave italian), Sitar India Palace, El Cuscatleco, Chamas Churrascaria, Papas Grille (greek), Taverna Nikos (greek), and Dos Perros.

Dain's on 9th has great burgers. Elmo's has great all-day breakfast.

Plus, you have Bullock's, Old N.C. BBQ and the Original Q-Shack.

Most Durhamites are secretly happy about Durham's "bad reputation" — which is amazing, considering that it's been named the best place to live, the foodiest town and the best educated town in America — it keeps the masses out.

Here's my favorite example of how Durham is depicted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8-OwTpKvHs (via BCR: Durham & Duke: New web site fans flames of ignorance (http://www.bullcityrising.com/2007/06/durham-duke-whe.html))