PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember ACC football?

Kane
01-06-2010, 04:10 AM
ACC Final Bowl Game Results: Not even 500 . . . weak! Lots-o-hype! Maybe VT was actually a "big dog" player on the national stage, but the rest were pretenders . . . especially GT, they didn't even score until the 3rd quarter and that was an interception returned for a TD. I thought their coach was a genius? He's paid like one, but then so is UNC's $6 M man ;-)

What the heck, true ACC basketall fans of old got a screwed up basketball schedule w/no guaranteed home and away games (a.k.a. FAIR! and a great tradition), but the conference got millions in new revenue . . . at least if we had sell our souls for a dollar, we should have gotten some national stage level football teams for our sacrifice? What a joke!

UNC – LOST
BC – LOST
Miami – LOST
GT - LOST

Clemson – WON
VT – WON
FSU - WON

whereinthehellami
01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
The ACC should be pretty good in football next year. The Coastal should be the toughest division in all of college football. VT, GT, UNC, and Miami are all in contention to win the division and the ACC. They should all be in the top 25 all year.

cruxer
01-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I couldn't agree more. Basketball's home-and-home tradition was a great one and guaranteed that the ACC regular season championship had real meaning.

If anything, it seems football has regressed since the expansion. This year's championship was the first one that had even a scintilla of national interest and featured a 4-loss Clemson team!

SupaDave
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
ACC Final Bowl Game Results: Not even 500 . . . weak! Lots-o-hype! Maybe VT was actually a "big dog" player on the national stage, but the rest were pretenders . . . especially GT, they didn't even score until the 3rd quarter and that was an interception returned for a TD. I thought their coach was a genius? He's paid like one, but then so is UNC's $6 M man ;-)

What the heck, true ACC basketall fans of old got a screwed up basketball schedule w/no guaranteed home and away games (a.k.a. FAIR! and a great tradition), but the conference got millions in new revenue . . . at least if we had sell our souls for a dollar, we should have gotten some national stage level football teams for our sacrifice? What a joke!

UNC – LOST
BC – LOST
Miami – LOST
GT - LOST

Clemson – WON
VT – WON
FSU - WON

Tech most definitely scored in both halves of the game. They ran into a team that did exactly what most teams don't dare do normally but they gave Tech the pass and put NINE people on the line. Tech just doesn't pass often - game over.

Here's a better outlook - more than 50% of the ACC went to a bowl game... Otherwise, you don't really have much recourse. There will be no round robin.

MulletMan
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech most definitely scored in both halves of the game. They ran into a team that did exactly what most teams don't dare do normally but they gave Tech the pass and put NINE people on the line. Tech just doesn't pass often - game over.

Here's a better outlook - more than 50% of the ACC went to a bowl game...

Yes, GT's interception return for a TD was in the first quarter.

The number of defenders in the box was outweighed by the fact that Iowa had the speed and discipline to defend the triple option. Furthermore, Nessbit went away from giving the ball to the FB on the dive out of the triple option. Iowa's size and strength in the front four forced GT to go to a "double" option, allowing Iowa's defenders to focus on getting to the edges to stop the QB and/or the pitchman.

Johnson knew this would be a problem, and stated such before the game. The fact that the ACC champion lost in the Orange Bowl means little to me. They played an excellent game against a team that may have gone undefeated had their QB not gotten injured (remember, Stanzi got hurt in the 2nd quarter of their first loss and then they went to OT against tOSU the following week with a backup, true freshman).

As for expansion ruining the ACC basketball schedule, well, it is true that we lack a round robin, and yes, it is missed, however, with the Big10 looking to expand to 12 teams, that will leave only the Pac10 as a BCS conference with less than 12 member institutions. While you may yearn for the days of the round robin schedule in basketball, I would argue that being in a larger conference is a necessity for big time college football programs. Duke does have other sports besides Men's basketball you know, and extra revenue from football TV contracts, bowl revenue, etc. really helps many of those non-revenue sports. It is realistic to think that the ACC might be able to sneak two teams into BCS games next season, which would be a nice amount of cash in each school's pocket. That helps everyone.

On the flip side of destroying the "regular season ACC championship" in basketball, I would say this makes the ACC tournament even MORE important than it already was. How is that a bad thing?

I'll be excited to see which team in the ACC joins Duke in the BCS bowl games next season! ;) (That one's for you, Ozzie!)

pamtar
01-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm just learning what ACC football is. Until the expansion they simply called it 'Florida State football.'

Wander
01-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Eh, I wouldn't call only getting 100-something yards and never having a lead playing an excellent game. Also, doesn't every BCS conference get more than 50% of their teams into bowls just about every year? ACC football sucks. Except Duke, of course.

DukieInKansas
01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Apparently, 4 of the teams playing in bowl games didn't remember football. ;)

uh_no
01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
The ACC should be pretty good in football next year. The Coastal should be the toughest division in all of college football. VT, GT, UNC, and Miami are all in contention to win the division and the ACC. They should all be in the top 25 all year.

the toughest division in all of college football eh?

i'm thinking florida or texas would LOVE to play in our division instead of ours....

-bdbd
01-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Eh, I wouldn't call only getting 100-something yards and never having a lead playing an excellent game. Also, doesn't every BCS conference get more than 50% of their teams into bowls just about every year? ACC football sucks. Except Duke, of course.

Actually, if memory serves, the ACC had NINE teams in bowls last year. IOW, lots of middling teams, but no/few stand-outs really. (The only ones who missed were Duke, UVA and I think MD.) The ACC actually has NINE bowl tie-ins, but this year didn't have 8th or 9th options with at least .500 records to qualify, for exampole, for the Eagle Bank Bowl in DC. This year, if GT had won - yes, they didn't seem very imaginative or adapt very well last night - we'd have had, arguably, our top 4 most visible bowl entrants as winners... GT/Orange, VT/Chic-fil-A, FSU/Gator, Clemson...

I think GT wasn't terrible, per se, but should have done better. Any game that was still in doubt until the last 2 minutes can't be considered a terrible showing, even if it was their Defense that was keeping them in it.

Not an awful showing overall for the ACC, but a little disappointing nonetheless. I agree that we seem to be on the upswing as a football conference in the coming couple of years -- VT and GT are strong as ever, Clemson is very good and improving, UNC and Miami are clearly coming on, FSU should be reinvigorated with the new/younger HC, Duke is obviously very improved. (The only thing that might prevent us from bowling next year is a rookie situation at QB, and a tougher schedule. That reminds me, does anyone have the firm Duke FB sked for next year - link??)

BDBD :cool:
"Really wanted that BCS win yesterday - it woulda put us ahead of the BigTen/11 in post-season results"

Dukeface88
01-06-2010, 12:35 PM

UNC – LOST
BC – LOST
Miami – LOST
GT - LOST

Clemson – WON
VT – WON
FSU - WON

You can't just look at the conference records. The SEC is only 4-4 and the Big 12 4-3 with one game left between them, but no one seriously doubts those were two of the toughest conferences this year.

As far as the ACC goes, Miami was the only surprising loss, and their quarterback was playing with an injured knee and throwing-hand thumb. Change that and the conference could easily have gone 4-3.

whereinthehellami
01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
the toughest division in all of college football eh?

i'm thinking florida or texas would LOVE to play in our division instead of ours....

We'll see. I dont see those other divisions having 4 teams in the top 25. Fl and Tx will be in their rebuilding modes next year, so don't color me impressed when bringing those names up for next year.

CDu
01-06-2010, 01:38 PM
We'll see. I dont see those other divisions having 4 teams in the top 25. Fl and Tx will be in their rebuilding modes next year, so don't color me impressed when bringing those names up for next year.

Actually, I would argue that the SEC West is the toughest division in college football. Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Auburn will probably be top-25 caliber or better, with Miss St as the only lightweight team in the conference. I'd say that will be a more difficult than the ACC Coastal next year.

As for the SEC East or Big 12 South, I think it's debatable. All three divisions (along with the ACC Coastal) will have 3-4 top-25 teams and at least one clunker. It depends on how the top teams in those divisions do. But I'd still lean towards the other conferences based on recent history.

uh_no
01-06-2010, 02:28 PM

nobody is really shaking in their boots at any ACC team...regardless of win loss or ranking.....no team in the ACC is a national powerhouse or could even compete in the SEC or Big12......our league champion got out gained by 300 yards last night by the second best team in the Big10.....and I don't think anyone here would argue that the Big10 rivals the SEC or Big12 with their recent head to head scores..

Kane
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
"No national power house in the ACC and no one shakes in their boots when playing any ACC team."

Ok, no round robin home and away will ever exist again in the ACC because I agree that all ACC schools need outside the conference experience to prepare for the NCAA tourney - however, it looks like the conference gods could at least ensure that all 4 NC schools maintain a yearly home and away schedule just for the killer tradition (a.k.a. hate) and rivalry. Isn't their some value in tradition, something besides bucks?

shoutingncu
01-06-2010, 03:29 PM
nobody is really shaking in their boots at any ACC team...

http://www.footballfanatics.com/COLLEGE_Duke_Blue_Devils_T-Shirts/ACC_Youth_Black_Scariest_Conference_T-shirt

uh_no
01-06-2010, 03:43 PM
"No national power house in the ACC and no one shakes in their boots when playing any ACC team."

Ok, no round robin home and away will ever exist again in the ACC because I agree that all ACC schools need outside the conference experience to prepare for the NCAA tourney - however, it looks like the conference gods could at least ensure that all 4 NC schools maintain a yearly home and away schedule just for the killer tradition (a.k.a. hate) and rivalry. Isn't their some value in tradition, something besides bucks?

Um.......ok?

studdlee10
01-06-2010, 03:54 PM
I believe Randy Shannon has Miami headed in the right direction. They had a few lean years where their recruiting went into the toilet (for them) and they are still paying the price. They'll be back.

PumpkinFunk
01-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Georgia Tech coming up short is a bad trend for them. As someone mentioned, 3 of their past 4 losses have been to teams with 2 weeks or more to prepare. The triple option, which is a wonderful offense to run with a short time to prepare, is simply not a good offense when a team has a talented defense that can learn their assignments well. Disciplined, assignment football (the type Iowa had this year and LSU last year) destroys the triple option easily. As it did this year. And Nesbitt could not pass to save the team, which was the final nail in GT's coffin.

juise
01-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Um.......ok?

Is um_ok your alter ego? Perhaps a twin brother?