PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Iowa State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
01-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Next up is Iowa State and Craig Brackins at the United Center in Chicago. Brackins might be the most talented individual player Duke faces during the regular season so let the game discussion begin.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Well like Bob said, we will be going up against the most talented post player we've seen so far and one of the most talented we will see all season in Craig Brackins. The guy is a monster and we will need Zoubs and the Plumlee's to be at their best. Iowa St's frontcourt as a whole is actually pretty good with Marquis Gilstrap (replaced Wes Johnson), Hamilton, and LaRon Dendy off the bench. They are athletic and can pose problems, especially if Brackins is playing his A game.
The good news is that Iowa St's backcourt is not very good, so we could potentially get them in foul trouble. Diante Garrett is decent and is a veteran, but nothing special. Staiger is a good shooter, but is not a complete player and not very athletic. Chris Colvin is a true freshman off the bench who has talent, but not much of a scoring threat. Same with Carlos' brother Charles Boozer.
All in all, I think if we are playing well we shouldn't have a problem with them. The potential issue I see is that this is a non-conference game 1,000 miles away nestled in between 2 tough conference games in their opener vs. Clemson and then Saturday @GTech. I smell a trap game! I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't at the top of our game, but The 3 S's should be able to do their thing well enough to get through. If this was actually at Iowa St, I would be nervous. Since we are at the United Center in Chicago (plenty of Duke fans in Chicago including myself), we should be ok.

Duke wins 77-69

Huh?
01-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the brief analysis on ISU, only person I knew of was Brackins of course.

I believe Duke will beat them a little more handily, around 16-18, but that is really just a guess. I just have a feeling Duke is going to be up for this one; at the United Center where I think we have a really good record and against a top rated player nationally, I like the looks of this, should be real fun.

NSDukeFan
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Next up is Iowa State and Craig Brackins at the United Center in Chicago. Brackins might be the most talented individual player Duke faces during the regular season so let the game discussion begin.

I agree that Brackins is a very talented player, but is he any more talented than the big guy the team faced last night? I realize he may not be as good a pro prospect, but Mr. Booker is almost as talented as they come as well. Great job on him last night, Duke big guys! Keep it up against Mr. Brackins!

hurleyfor3
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Have we ever lost at the United Center? I think we're something like 7-0. (The 1993 NCAA Tournament games were in Rosemont, in what is now the Allstate Arena.)

1000 miles is an exaggeration... RDU-ORD is only 646 miles and maybe a 1½-hour flight. Miami is further away and BC is roughly the same distance. Nitpicky maybe, but I'm the wrong guy to be messing with on the subject on air mileage.

geraldsneighbor
01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I talked to Scheyer's dad last night at the game and he said they have 500 ticket requests to see the game in Jon's hometown. That's pretty nuts.

-bdbd
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Well like Bob said, we will be going up against the most talented post player we've seen so far and one of the most talented we will see all season in Craig Brackins. The guy is a monster and we will need Zoubs and the Plumlee's to be at their best. Iowa St's frontcourt as a whole is actually pretty good with Marquis Gilstrap (replaced Wes Johnson), Hamilton, and LaRon Dendy off the bench. They are athletic and can pose problems, especially if Brackins is playing his A game.
The good news is that Iowa St's backcourt is not very good, so we could potentially get them in foul trouble. Diante Garrett is decent and is a veteran, but nothing special. Staiger is a good shooter, but is not a complete player and not very athletic. Chris Colvin is a true freshman off the bench who has talent, but not much of a scoring threat. Same with Carlos' brother Charles Boozer.
All in all, I think if we are playing well we shouldn't have a problem with them. The potential issue I see is that this is a non-conference game 1,000 miles away nestled in between 2 tough conference games in their opener vs. Clemson and then Saturday @GTech. I smell a trap game! I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't at the top of our game, but The 3 S's should be able to do their thing well enough to get through. If this was actually at Iowa St, I would be nervous. Since we are at the United Center in Chicago (plenty of Duke fans in Chicago including myself), we should be ok.

Duke wins 77-69

----

Why the 10PM EST start time (9PM Central/Chicago)??? Seems like and odd/late time for a game, even if driven by TV.

What is Iowa State ranked now? I don't recall any "big" wins for them.
Can they beat Duke?

:confused:

Bob Green
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Iowa State (10-3) is not ranked. They have played one Top 25 team - California - losing 82-63. They've also lost to Northwestern and Northern Iowa.

Our perimeter players should dominate the game, but the Cyclones have the talent and size to challenge Duke inside. This will be another good test for our big guys. I expect results similar to the Clemson game.

tbyers11
01-04-2010, 04:10 PM
----

Why the 10PM EST start time (9PM Central/Chicago)??? Seems like and odd/late time for a game, even if driven by TV.

Can they beat Duke?

:confused:

The game was listed earlier in the year at 10pm but is now listed at 9pm EST/8pm CST according to Go Duke (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726) and ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnTopics?topic=ESPN_MCBB).

DBR is awesome but never trust the schedule linked from the front page. It doesn't get updated frequently, if at all.

As Bob said, Iowa State is not ranked in the polls. Pomeroy has them at #64 (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Iowa%20St.) and predicts an 81-64 Duke win and Sagarin has them at #78.

Isufan
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
You are correct in thinking Duke should not have problems with ISU....my goal for us in this game is for our guards to handle your ball pressure and wing denials. We have typically not handled this well in the past. How do you normally approach a good post player defensively....double big? Craig has gotten better at passing out of the double teams, for the talent level he possesses, he's a very unselfish player.

While I'm at it, what do you guys think of you're team this year vs past team's?

ChicagoCrazy84
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
You are correct in thinking Duke should not have problems with ISU....my goal for us in this game is for our guards to handle your ball pressure and wing denials. We have typically not handled this well in the past. How do you normally approach a good post player defensively....double big? Craig has gotten better at passing out of the double teams, for the talent level he possesses, he's a very unselfish player.

While I'm at it, what do you guys think of you're team this year vs past team's?

Thanks for asking. I won't speak for everyone on here, but I don't think we are quite as talented as past year's teams, with the exception of 2007. This team has the potential because we have a good mix of experience and youth, as well as athleticism and size, but I still think we need our young guys like Andre Dawkins and Mason Plumlee to improve dramatically for this team to be considered great. It's tough to count on the same 3 guys every game, especially when those 3 guys' games are perimter based (outside-in). If those guys can improve game by game, we will be a legit contender come tourney time.

Kedsy
01-05-2010, 08:29 PM

Personally, I think this year's team is the best team we've had since 2006.

I'm not sure if we'll double team Brackins or not. I don't think we double teamed Booker so much, although I didn't see the game, and other than Booker we haven't faced a player like Brackins yet. Stanley Robinson seemed to me to be a tall wing, and the Wisconsin bigs didn't really merit double teams.

pfrduke
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM

I'm not sure if we'll double team Brackins or not. I don't think we double teamed Booker so much, although I didn't see the game, and other than Booker we haven't faced a player like Brackins yet. Stanley Robinson seemed to me to be a tall wing, and the Wisconsin bigs didn't really merit double teams.

If Thomas and Zoubek play one-on-one defense against Brackins like they did on Booker, we won't need to double. They formed a nice change of pace pair - Zoubek used size and played generally behind him, trying to body Booker away from the hoop, while Thomas used quickness, generally fronting him to deny entry passes (which he did extremely well).

mgtr
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM

I agree completely -- I am very optimistic about what the team can do. We have the three SSS, plus four bigs down low, plus some viable subs. Short of serious injury, I expect much from this team.
While I expect much, I remain grateful for whatever we get.

CrazyCat
01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Not worried about this game at all. We have our three S's, and Coach K will be home and surrounded by plenty of Duke fans to cheer them on.

DevilHorns
01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Not worried about this game at all. We have our three S's, and Coach K will be home and surrounded by plenty of Duke fans to cheer them on.

This team is 10-3 and we're definitely a target for them to prove themselves and therefore edge into the top 25. I wouldn't say I'm worried. In all honesty, I'm probably never not worried since its basketball and anything can happen in a 40 minute trial.

AlaskanAssassin
01-06-2010, 12:15 AM
not sure if this has been posted, but check it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=powers_scott&id=4798809

juise
01-06-2010, 12:58 AM
not sure if this has been posted, but check it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=powers_scott&id=4798809

That's interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder if Jon's high school coach is speaking about chemistry issues with former teammates (McBob, G, TK) from his own observations or from things he has heard first/second-hand.

gep
01-06-2010, 01:02 AM
That's interesting. Thanks for posting. I wonder if Jon's high school coach is speaking about chemistry issues with former teammates (McBob, G, TK) from his own observations or from things he has heard first/second-hand.

Interesting about how his HS coach sees it, or heard it, or whatever... in any case, it really looks like S-S-S plus LT plus BZ plus MP1 seem to *really* click... real fun to watch:)

BlueintheFace
01-06-2010, 01:05 AM
... not sure about including Henderson in the chemistry issues. G certainly had his ego issues (there is a reason he started his sophomore year instead of Jon), but I have heard from many people that those two were thick as thieves.

COYS
01-06-2010, 01:47 AM
... not sure about including Henderson in the chemistry issues. G certainly had his ego issues (there is a reason he started his sophomore year instead of Jon), but I have heard from many people that those two were thick as thieves.

They were also roommates through last year.

crimsonandblue
01-06-2010, 01:21 PM
If Thomas and Zoubek play one-on-one defense against Brackins like they did on Booker, we won't need to double. They formed a nice change of pace pair - Zoubek used size and played generally behind him, trying to body Booker away from the hoop, while Thomas used quickness, generally fronting him to deny entry passes (which he did extremely well).

Hmmm. The only time Zoubek should be matched up with Brackins is on some interior switch. An isolated Brackins on Zoubek wouldn't be pretty. Brackins is too quick and skilled.

Brackins isn't anything like Booker. He's got half the strength and is much more a finesse/skilled big. He's more of a combination of what you hope Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly become. If he goes inside he'll try and score with quick turnarounds or half hooks.

Anyone can have a bad game and I'd expect Duke to try and frustrate Brackins with Thomas, but I'd imagine that Brackins will get his and that Duke will just focus on holding the rest of the team in check, which shouldn't pose much of a problem. ISU's squad won't be able to score with Duke and Duke should be able to turn ISU over.

Saratoga2
01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Always interesting to read what the opponents say about the game. Here is the Iowa State site.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46661&SPID=4252&ATCLID=204864690&DB_OEM_ID=10700

pfrduke
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Hmmm. The only time Zoubek should be matched up with Brackins is on some interior switch. An isolated Brackins on Zoubek wouldn't be pretty. Brackins is too quick and skilled.

Brackins isn't anything like Booker. He's got half the strength and is much more a finesse/skilled big. He's more of a combination of what you hope Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly become. If he goes inside he'll try and score with quick turnarounds or half hooks.

Anyone can have a bad game and I'd expect Duke to try and frustrate Brackins with Thomas, but I'd imagine that Brackins will get his and that Duke will just focus on holding the rest of the team in check, which shouldn't pose much of a problem. ISU's squad won't be able to score with Duke and Duke should be able to turn ISU over.

Fair enough - I haven't seen him play this year, and was relying on another poster's comparison of Brackins to Booker.

That said, going by ISU's roster and playing time, Brackins plays almost half the game as the tallest Cyclone on the floor, and probably 5-8 minutes as the only guy over 6'6". If Zoubek's out there during those stretches, I don't see who he can guard other than Brackins. Maybe that means Zoubek isn't on the court when ISU lines up that way, and only comes in when Hamilton or Vanderbeken are playing alongside Brackins, but I imagine we'll see them squared 1-1 more often than just the isolated switch.

crimsonandblue
01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Fair enough - I haven't seen him play this year, and was relying on another poster's comparison of Brackins to Booker.

That said, going by ISU's roster and playing time, Brackins plays almost half the game as the tallest Cyclone on the floor, and probably 5-8 minutes as the only guy over 6'6". If Zoubek's out there during those stretches, I don't see who he can guard other than Brackins. Maybe that means Zoubek isn't on the court when ISU lines up that way, and only comes in when Hamilton or Vanderbeken are playing alongside Brackins, but I imagine we'll see them squared 1-1 more often than just the isolated switch.

If he does get matched up on Zoubek, I'd expect ISU to go iso and for Brackins to face him up and look to take him off the dribble or at least use his jab-step jumper or little dribble pull-up move. Duke can probably double in this instance or just look to help hard on any drive.

Think of Brackins as Deon Thompson, but leaner and a little longer with more ball skills and a decent uniform color (unless they wear "gold" which really equals mustard).

I may be biased though, as Brackins went for 62 points in two games against KU last year (KU won both by 15 and 17 points). Pic of Brackins below is in his 42-point game against KU in Ames.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3513/3235464941_ef3ef92246.jpg

ChicagoCrazy84
01-06-2010, 02:43 PM
As a Duke fan, I want Duke to win by 30. However, my brother-in-law is flying in from Arizona to see the game with me because he is an Iowa St alum. For that, I hope it is somewhat close.

cbnaylor
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
As long as our big men can stay out of foul trouble and the trifecta come to play, then Duke will be fine.

dchen09
01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi all, I have an extra ticket to tonight's game. Any takers out there?

Bob Green
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
As long as our big men can stay out of foul trouble and the trifecta come to play, then Duke will be fine.

We have five frontcourt players so foul trouble shouldn't be a issue. Plus, Coach Krzyzewski also has the option to slide Singler to the power forward position and play Dawkins on the wing in a three guard line-up.

I expect the story of the game to be our backcourt dominating Iowa State's backcourt.

airowe
01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Mr. Bilas:
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Practices/Shoot-Around-at-the-United/DSC4870/758954883_jzjKW-L.jpg

tbyers11
01-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Mr. Bilas:
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Practices/Shoot-Around-at-the-United/DSC4870/758954883_jzjKW-L.jpg

After some of the early season commentators, I'm glad we get Bilas tonight with Mike Patrick (who is OK when not paired with Vitale). We also get Bilas and Brad Nessler for the GT game on Saturday according to Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.com/).

Gotta love Bob Harris rocking the purple sweater.

Greg_Newton
01-06-2010, 06:39 PM
After some of the early season commentators, I'm glad we get Bilas tonight with Mike Patrick (who is OK when not paired with Vitale). We also get Bilas and Brad Nessler for the GT game on Saturday according to Awful Announcing (http://awfulannouncing.com/).

Gotta love Bob Harris rocking the purple sweater.

Awesome... it's great to have a commentator like Bilas or Knight who has actual insights into what's going on on the court, rather than just senile blathering. Bilas is a smart guy.

This should be a fun game to watch. This year, more than others, I find the less big-ticket games very interesting because we have so many high-ceilinged players to watch develop.

I'll be watching to see if:

-Scheyer continues to play like an A-A.
-Singler continues his recent more aggressive/diverse play.
-Nolan can stay in attack mode without forcing bad shots.
-Z continues to move quick and confidently on O, and can stay with quicker bigs on D.
-Miles starts reacting and thinking a little quicker on O, and if he can stay disciplined against mobile bigs.
-Things continue to click and slow down for Mason, and if he can keep up mentally and move with purpose on O.
-Both Mason and Miles start reacting to the actual offensive player, rather than the ball (too many body fouls...).
-The connection between the perimeter and the Plumlees gets any better, and we gets some easy lobs/transition buckets that way.
-Lance rises up to the challenge of playing against more-hyped big guys.
-Ryan and Andre can make an impact on the game.

Fun stuff. I really, really, like this team.

NSDukeFan
01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Awesome... it's great to have a commentator like Bilas or Knight who has actual insights into what's going on on the court, rather than just senile blathering. Bilas is a smart guy.

This should be a fun game to watch. This year, more than others, I find the less big-ticket games very interesting because we have so many high-ceilinged players to watch develop.

I'll be watching to see if:

-Scheyer continues to play like an A-A.
-Singler continues his recent more aggressive/diverse play.
-Nolan can stay in attack mode without forcing bad shots.
-Z continues to move quick and confidently on O, and can stay with quicker bigs on D.
-Miles starts reacting and thinking a little quicker on O, and if he can stay disciplined against mobile bigs.
-Things continue to click and slow down for Mason, and if he can keep up mentally and move with purpose on O.
-Both Mason and Miles start reacting to the actual offensive player, rather than the ball (too many body fouls...).
-The connection between the perimeter and the Plumlees gets any better, and we gets some easy lobs/transition buckets that way.
-Lance rises up to the challenge of playing against more-hyped big guys.
-Ryan and Andre can make an impact on the game.

Fun stuff. I really, really, like this team.

I agree it is a really fun team to watch and to watch develop. This sounds like a mini phase post. As Jumbo has alluded to in his reports, I am also looking, as always, to see if we can use our big players in the post and/or use some of our high-low passing. I love seeing interior passing and forcing the defense to guard those areas.

Clonepackof1
01-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Hello Blue Devil fans!

I know most of you will be following the game in this thread tonight while watching on TV. Just wanted to invite you to check out our live blog (interactive) from the game tonight (I work for the Gazette Communications, which have a newspaper and the ABC affiliate in eastern Iowa). Blog will be live at www.gazetteonline.com.

This will not be hard news and is more of a social experiment. Look for lots of offhanded comments and for the most part, general homerism. ISU has a bit of an identity crisis in the middle of Iowa Hawkeye country and I'm trying to stir the pot a little.

I've been monitoring your forum and really appreciate how even handed you guys are. We don't find that much in the Big 12, or with Hawk fans. I'll see if I can get you riled up during the game.:D (like actually naming the one who shall not be named, we're all still smarting from that one...)

Here's to an ISU upset and no injuries either way!

Clonepackof1

SCMatt33
01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Thoughts on the press?

NSDukeFan
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Great to see the effort to get the ball inside and/or to Lance. And of course, fantastic D to start the game.

arydolphin
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Quick impressions in the first 4 minutes:
*Lots of Duke fans in the crowd, always nice to see. You can tell they really like Scheyer being the hometown kid, and he's had a nice start too.
*If Lance can consistently hit that 12-15 foot jump shot, that will open up some driving lanes for other guys and also free up guys in the post since Lance's defender will have to come out on him. Having his defender not able to sag off of him allowed Lance to make that entry pass over the other defender to Zoubek on the last play before the timeout.

slower
01-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Can't finish with ANY kind of pressure. Period.

Momentum-killer.

Mason with the 3 - hoo boy.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Hello Blue Devil fans!

I know most of you will be following the game in this thread tonight while watching on TV. Just wanted to invite you to check out our live blog (interactive) from the game tonight (I work for the Gazette Communications, which have a newspaper and the ABC affiliate in eastern Iowa). Blog will be live at www.gazetteonline.com.

This will not be hard news and is more of a social experiment. Look for lots of offhanded comments and for the most part, general homerism. ISU has a bit of an identity crisis in the middle of Iowa Hawkeye country and I'm trying to stir the pot a little.

I've been monitoring your forum and really appreciate how even handed you guys are. We don't find that much in the Big 12, or with Hawk fans. I'll see if I can get you riled up during the game.:D (like actually naming the one who shall not be named, we're all still smarting from that one...)

Here's to an ISU upset and no injuries either way!

Clonepackof1

if you are going to make it a successful "social experiment" you gotta eliminate the lag on your chat...

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Mason can hit three's.

jipops
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
a signature Duke offensive drought... frustrating.

OldSchool
01-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Mason can hit three's.

It's great to see Mason hit that shot - he tried one in the Wisconsin game and he must be consistently hitting it in practice.

That gives us even more flexibility on offense if defenders have to respect Mason's three-ball.

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
It's great to see Mason hit that shot - he tried one in the Wisconsin game and he must be consistently hitting it in practice.

That gives us even more flexibility on offense if defenders have to respect Mason's three-ball.

Just like Lance's 15 footer.

NSDukeFan
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Can't finish with ANY kind of pressure. Period.

Momentum-killer.

Mason with the 3 - hoo boy.

I'll still take Zoubek's 65% shooting, fantastic rebounding and good positioning defense.

jipops
01-06-2010, 09:27 PM
good to see Mason assert.

OldSchool
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Our big guys are almost dominating the offensive boards, it's just not resulting in the putback basket because they're losing the handle on the ball or getting it blocked or whatever, but it's a good sign to see.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Has Z gotten a shot up yet that wasn't blocked? Yikes... Use that strength there, big guy.

IBleedBlue
01-06-2010, 09:30 PM
says Seth Curry has entered the game. I am pretty sure they are referring to Andre Dawkins

SCMatt33
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Leave it to a Duke grad to bring up the transitive property on basketball. Yay

arydolphin
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Did ESPN lose their main camera? These camera angles are almost as bad as Fox. Nevermind, just came back to the main camera.

I'm a little concerned about the amount of shots that Iowa State is blocking in this game. Also, the defense isn't as sharp as it was against Clemson. However, Singler is starting to warm up, which is good.

ChrisP
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I think we'd better forget trying to draw charges tonight - these refs have apparently never seen one...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2010, 09:41 PM
yes, they are killing us on interior D, but lordy, how many offensive rebs do we have?

slower
01-06-2010, 09:41 PM
My God, he's a straight-up WARRIOR!!

ChrisP
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Really glad to see Mason's coming out part-ay. That dunk was...um...good! :D

NSDukeFan
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Is this Mason's coming out party? He's looking very good so far.

P.S. edit I guess I wasn't the only one thinking that

slower
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I'll still take Zoubek's 65% shooting, fantastic rebounding and good positioning defense.

Good Lord, if he could FINISH, he'd be shooting 80%!

Also, I'd be curious to see the game-by-game breakdown of that FG%. Honestly, I wish only the best for Zoubs (seems like a fantastic guy), but, man...he's gonna give me an ulcer.

"Fantastic rebounding" - look, Singler is a FAR better rebounder than Zoubs.

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
watch the same game everyone else watches? Smith purposely gets the ISU defender up to draw a foul on his 3 point attempt and Patrick calls it a bail out? Correct me if I'm wrong but Nolan seemed to do that on purpose. It just seems like the usual Patrick watching at least one or two plays a game and describing them the total opposite of what the TV audience is watching.

devildownunder
01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
says Seth Curry has entered the game. I am pretty sure they are referring to Andre Dawkins

Can someone confirm this? I'm stuck w/gamecast for this one and I was wondering about that, too.

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Also, I'd be curious to see the game-by-game breakdown of that FG%. Honestly, I wish only the best for Zoubs (seems like a fantastic guy), but, man...he's gonna give me an ulcer.

I know, Zoubs has really improved defensively and on the boards on both ends but whenever he makes a impressive rebound, how many times is it that he gets blocked or the ball stolen because he lowers the ball to his waist. I can't recall the last time he went up strong and threw one down. Good god, he is 7'1 and should be throwing the ball down these guys throats.

devildownunder
01-06-2010, 09:49 PM
watch the same game everyone else watches? Smith purposely gets the ISU defender up to draw a foul on his 3 point attempt and Patrick calls it a bail out? Correct me if I'm wrong but Nolan seemed to do that on purpose. It just seems like the usual Patrick watching at least one or two plays a game and describing them the total opposite of what the TV audience is watching.

Well, Dan Patrick may in fact be watching a different game than you are. Mike Patrick is calling this one. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OldSchool
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Is this Mason's coming out party? He's looking very good so far.

This is the most aggressive I've seen Mason on the offensive end - I think he is making a special effort to be assertive, and hope to earn more minutes.

Duke79UNLV77
01-06-2010, 09:51 PM

I think you have to give the defense credit for those blocks. Zoubek didn't bring the ball down and went right up. Iowa State made some excellent defensive plays.

Z is rebounding and playing defense well again.

slower
Well, Dan Patrick may in fact be watching a different game than you are. Mike Patrick is calling this one. ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

has been approaching the Al McGuire broadcast senility level for quite some time now.

NYDukie

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You got me...my bad...LOLLLLL

jipops
01-06-2010, 09:52 PM
ouch, that last shot hurt.

This has been a Scheyer love fest so far.

slower
01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I think you have to give the defense credit for those blocks. Zoubek didn't bring the ball down and went right up. Iowa State made some excellent defensive plays.

Z is rebounding and playing defense well again.

I'll grant you that they've blocked quite a few shots tonight, but have you been watching #55 play for the past 4 years?

But, yeah, he is what he is...which, on balance, is positive.

jv001
01-06-2010, 10:08 PM
has hurt us tonight. Not getting the blocks like we normally do. We need to come out hot to start the 2nd half. Don't let them get the confidence that might really hurt us. Go Duke!

slower
01-06-2010, 10:12 PM
We have to watch the end of the Kansas game now????????

RoyalBlue08
01-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Kansas struggles at home against an Ivy league team and this is our problem. very frustrating

ChrisP
01-06-2010, 10:15 PM
To quote my friend Reece Bobby..."This is egregious!" ESPN has the KU game on both the duece AND ESPNews! Nice!

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 10:16 PM
We have to watch the end of the Kansas game now????????

My wife is even saying what about picture in picture. First the start of the Duke game was delayed Sunday in NYC metro area because the Wake game went into 2 OTs and now this....ughhhh

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
First I have to watch Wake & Xavier Sunday night and now Kansas...and now I have to listen/watch them talk about the game before going back to Duke....effing ridiculous.....

RoyalBlue08
01-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Or how about the commercial after the Kansas game while the Duke game was in action. I am really starting to hate ESPN.

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 10:19 PM
and now ESPN has to get their commercials in while up in the right hand corner you can see the clock on the Duke game restart after the TV timeout at the 16 minute mark...typical b.s.

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Here is a link to send them our thoughts about keeping with the Kansas game over the beginning of the second half....

https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/index

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
espn360 just seems better and better

Cicero
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
A big BOO to DBR for putting the wrong gametime on the online schedule (10:00 pm).

A big BOO to ESPN for preempting the Duke game to show KU-Cornell.

That is all.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-06-2010, 10:23 PM
scheyer's most awesome trait is it hardly seems like he's trying

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
that Saturday's 2pm start against Ga Tech is on ESPN and after a game that starts at noon. We all know what that means....3 games in a row that we all get screwed out of Duke game time....unbelievable!

Acymetric
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
A big BOO to DBR for putting the wrong gametime on the online schedule (10:00 pm).

That is all.

This happens several times every season, I'm not sure why anyone still uses the schedule here. Nobody should use DBR's schedule...I wish they would replace it with a link to toe goduke.com schedule instead.

1Devil
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice job with the 10pm start time, DBR.

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
scheyer's most awesome trait is it hardly seems like he's trying

Scheyer is just smmmmoootttttthhhhhh!!!!

duke23
01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but come on, if this is next year's football season and we're beating #1 alabama with 1 minute left in the 4th quarter, wouldn't you be upset if ESPN didn't cut away from the start of the 3rd quarter of a game where Texas is up by 2 TDs on some average team?

I obviously would rather see our game and it's frustrating to miss some of it, but it's ESPN, not the Duke sports network. I for one don't blame them.

That is all.

ChrisP

That is all.

Watch out, Cicero, I got in ALL kinds of trouble with some people last time I dared to criticize DBR for having the wrong game time. I wonder if they will write you and tell you that you need to personally write J&B an apology...

Welcome2DaSlopes
Carlos's brother. HAHA

HateCarolina
that Saturday's 2pm start against Ga Tech is on ESPN and after a game that starts at noon. We all know what that means....3 games in a row that we all get screwed out of Duke game time....unbelievable!

I just got tickets today for Duke vs GT on Saturday down here so at least I will get to see this game live and in full. One reason I like watching games on TV is that you always have a good view of the game; however recently I have noticed that ESPN and FSN (more so with FSN) use bad camera angles to show the game on TV...makes zilch for sense...

Hey welcome to the game little Boozer!!

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Maybe I'll get flamed for this, but come on, if this is next year's football season and we're beating #1 alabama with 1 minute left in the 4th quarter, wouldn't you be upset if ESPN didn't cut away from the start of the 3rd quarter of a game where Texas is up by 2 TDs on some average team?

I obviously would rather see our game and it's frustrating to miss some of it, but it's ESPN, not the Duke sports network. I for one don't blame them.

The issue is that they have mutliple outlets from which to show the end of that game...ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN NEWS....but no they decide to pre-empt the Duke game. That's what does not make sense.

NYDukie
01-06-2010, 10:31 PM

I agree but what about picture in picture...come on now...it's 2010...lol

RoyalBlue08
01-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Here is a link to send them our thoughts about keeping with the Kansas game over the beginning of the second half....

https://r.espn.go.com/members/contact/index

That is more for ESPN.com feedback. Here is a better place to leave your opinion:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2826900

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:32 PM
That is more for ESPN.com feedback. Here is a better place to leave your opinion:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2826900

Thanks.

AlaskanAssassin
01-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I want to see andre light it up, put him in please!

duke23
01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Point take, they could have done picture in picture. As for preempting ESPN, yeah I'm sure the Central Michigan and Troy fans would have been okay with cutting away from the tight 4th quarter of a postseason football game to go to a game of a different sport...:rolleyes:

I agree but what about picture in picture...come on now...it's 2010...lol

devildownunder
01-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Watch out, Cicero, I got in ALL kinds of trouble with some people last time I dared to criticize DBR for having the wrong game time. I wonder if they will write you and tell you that you need to personally write J&B an apology...

Anyone who has been around here for a while can probably tell you I am not always in lockstep w/the powers that be in DBRland. That said, I like this place and appreciate the administrators' efforts. This board performs several valuable services -- free of charge. One of which is posting the schedule. This is done as early as possible each year, and scores of people are always vocal about how hungry they are to have it. The downside to getting it that early is that when things change -- and they often do -- your schedule becomes out of date. This is what happened in the case of tonight's game. There were even posts about the change here in the forum. For anyone to step into a public site and complain that the data you've accessed freely is no longer up to date and that makes the providers negligent is incredibly rude. No one promised an up-to-the-minute schedule for you. Next time, please do some checking on your own, as you should do with any schedule.

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Anyone who has been around here for a while can probably tell you I am not always in lockstep w/the powers that be in DBRland. That said, I like this place and appreciate the administrators' efforts. This board performs several valuable services -- free of charge. One of which is posting the schedule. This is done as early as possible each year, and scores of people are always vocal about how hungry they are to have it. The downside to getting it that early is that when things change -- and they often do -- your schedule becomes out of date. This is what happened in the case of tonight's game. There were even posts about the change here in the forum. For anyone to step into a public site and complain that the data you've accessed freely is no longer up to date and that makes the providers negligent is incredibly rude. No one promised an up-to-the-minute schedule for you. Next time, please do some checking on your own, as you should do with any schedule.

Well said and I am in total agreement with you....and my god Scheyer's shot is just too sweet!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
No Andre? K?

AlaskanAssassin
01-06-2010, 10:44 PM
I am really surprised Andre is not playing.

devildownunder
01-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Well said and I am in total agreement with you....and my god Scheyer's shot is just too sweet!!

True dat! Scheyer's transition this year from "solid" to "great player" has been remarkable. The guy is 1st team all-America at this point. Awesome.

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure if I am just too biased, but have the ref calls been a little off in this game...they just called a hand check against ISU, but that seems awfully ticky tacky after some of the earlier no calls on both sides of the ball.

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Scheyer is becoming one of those Duke guys that you'll recall for years to come for all that he brought to the team.

And Singler stroking the three from the corner makes me smile.:D

And I just heard Jay Bilas say something positive about Duke!!! Holla Jay...glad to hear it.

Acymetric
01-06-2010, 10:50 PM
No Andre? K?

I am really surprised Andre is not playing.

Its pretty clear from the fact that even Kelly got minutes that there is something we don't know influencing Andre not getting in. Broke a rule? Tweaked an ankle? Obviously we don't know, but he's been the 8th guy off the bench all year, there's definitely something at play here.

OldSchool
01-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Jon with 31 points, 4 assists, only 2 turnovers and perfect from the line - and a gaggle of NBA scouts in the house...

HateCarolina
01-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Jon with 31 points, 4 assists, only 2 turnovers and perfect from the line - and a gaggle of NBA scouts in the house...

Simply awesome!!!

superdave
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Great job by LT tonight on Brackins.