PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Clemson (I)

Jumbo
01-04-2010, 12:46 AM
He fouled out in just 18 minutes, didn't score (didn't even attempt a shot, in fact), grabbed only two rebounds and didn't block a shot. And yet, somehow, the quiet effectiveness of Brian Zoubek continued against Clemson. Duke was +19 with the big guy in the game. And a big part of that came while he was paired with old buddy Lance Thomas -- the experienced lineup featuring three seniors and two juniors was Duke's best in the game. What a nice win to start ACC play, and what a nice backbone of veteran players to lean on, which should continue to make the transition for the younger players easier.

Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Nolan Smith 72-50 (+22)
Kyle Singler 74-53 (+21)
Brian Zoubek 33-14 (+19)
Jon Scheyer 70-53 (+17)
Lance Thomas 52-37 (+15)
Mason Plumlee 22-16 (+6)
Andre Dawkins 8-3 (+5)
Ryan Kelly 2-0 (+2)
Miles Plumlee 37-39 (-2)

Per 40 Minutes
Ryan Kelly +80
Brian Zoubek +42.2
Andre Dawkins +40
Nolan Smith +23.2
Mason Plumlee +21.8
Kyle Singler +21
Lance Thomas +20.7
Jon Scheyer +17.9
Miles Plumlee -4

Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x5) 19-7 (+12)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Zoubek (x4) 14-6 (+8)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Miles 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Kelly 2-0 (+2)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Miles 2-2 (+0)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles 8-9 (-1)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Mason-Zoubek 0-1 (-1)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x6) 25-28 (-3)

chrisheery
01-04-2010, 12:51 AM
If Ryan Kelly had played all 40, this would have been a true domination. 100-20 maybe? Or might have been worse, infinity to 0.

DevilHorns
01-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Jumbo, your fastest turnaround time this year for in-depth charting.

Thanks!

Bob Green
01-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Duke was +19 with the big guy in the game. And a big part of that came while he was paired with old buddy Lance Thomas -- the experienced lineup featuring three seniors and two juniors was Duke's best in the game.

I haven't crunched the numbers for the other 11 ACC teams, however, Duke's "experienced line-up" came into the 09-10 season with 243 starts between them, a number that is artificially low due to Jon Scheyer only starting one game as a sophomore yet being the team's third leading player in terms of minutes played. I'm pretty confident Duke is the most experienced team in the ACC.

Miles and Mason Plumlee are both great young players evidenced by their strong performances in the game against Clemson. We are lucky to have them and they will be a huge part of all success achieved in 2010 (as will Andre Dawkins and Ryan Kelly), but the ability to place five experienced upperclassmen onto the court will be Duke's coup de grace!

NSDukeFan
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
He fouled out in just 18 minutes, didn't score (didn't even attempt a shot, in fact), grabbed only two rebounds and didn't block a shot. And yet, somehow, the quiet effectiveness of Brian Zoubek continued against Clemson. Duke was +19 with the big guy in the game.

This was another situation where I just felt more comfortable when Z was in to defend Booker than when he was out of the game because of questionable (in my mind) foul calls. He is just so big for a post scorer to get around (see Sacre, Robert and Pittman, Dexter)

jjasper0729
01-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Even though he didn't score, I think Brian did his job very well. It seemed like he was in to pin Booker away from the basket and keep him in check and he did that very well. The foul trouble was troubling. He had the one over the back (from my angle, it looked like a call that should have been made) but the block call when the guy kneed him in the chest was a bad call imo.

jv001
01-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not one to complain very much about the officiating of bb games, but last night Zoubs had some bad calls against him. These were not questionable calls, but ones that were easy to see and should have been easy to make for a paid official. I hope this does not start a trend with the ACC zebras. Go Duke!

MChambers
01-04-2010, 11:25 AM
He fouled out in just 18 minutes, didn't score (didn't even attempt a shot, in fact), grabbed only two rebounds and didn't block a shot. And yet, somehow, the quiet effectiveness of Brian Zoubek continued against Clemson. Duke was +19 with the big guy in the game. And a big part of that came while he was paired with old buddy Lance Thomas -- the experienced lineup featuring three seniors and two juniors was Duke's best in the game. What a nice win to start ACC play, and what a nice backbone of veteran players to lean on, which should continue to make the transition for the younger players easier.

Brian is beginning to have numbers like Battier's in the NBA. Not a lot of scoring, but a wonderful effect on the game. Whooda thunk it?