PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Clemson

Jumbo
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the ACC opener at home against Clemson? (Since we all got to see SOOOOOOOO much of that first half ...)

mgtr
01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Wow -- how do you pick one? I know, the man of the match has a last name beginning with an S. How is that?
Since I do have pick one, I will pick Singler, because he produced in the first half when pickings were slim.

Indoor66
01-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Wow -- how do you pick one? I know, the man of the match has a last name beginning with an S. How is that?
Since I do have pick one, I will pick Singler, because he produced in the first half when pickings were slim.

I agree and his 2nd half defense was outstanding.

lpd1982
01-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I voted Nolan because his performance matched his stated goal before the game, but it could just have easily gone for Jon, or Kyle for setting the tone in the opening minutes. I'm starting to see the three Ss as a unified force rather than individuals, something I have not done in a loooong time with our team. Feels good.

RoyalBlue08
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I went with Kyle because of his toughness, rebounding, and defense; but it was hard not to pick Nolan who had a great game as well offensively and with perimeter defense.

Jumbo
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I voted Nolan because his performance matched his stated goal before the game, but it could just have easily gone for Jon, or Kyle for setting the tone in the opening minutes. I'm starting to see the three Ss as a unified force rather than individuals, something I have not done in a loooong time with our team. Feels good.

What was Nolan's stated goal?

BlueintheFace
01-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Jon Scheyer with three TOs and lucky not to get at least 4...

I think I have to go with someone else tonight. Kyle.

basket1544
01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Clearly the 3 S's were incredible. I went with Mason instead because his court vision kept the Clemson press from overwhelming Scheyer, Smith and Singler at different times tonight. He broke the press with long passes and by being able to handle the ball when Scheyer was double-teamed in the backcourt. Without him, Jon would have turned the ball over. He was important to this win.

Jumbo
01-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Jon Scheyer with three TOs and lucky not to get at least 4...

I think I have to go with someone else tonight. Kyle.

It's nice when 22 points, 6 assists and 3 turnovers means it's time to go with someone else, and a 2:1 A/TO ratio seems bad, isn't it? ;)

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I gave it Kyle for looking hungry and playing hungry. Best he's been, and a nice time to show it. 40 minutes, 16 pts and 8 boards..that's solid!

chrisheery
01-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Had to go with Nolan for his defensive pressure.

So hard to pick though. Scheyer just went to another level in the second half. I thought Kyle played a great game. Didn't force anything. I know we all want to see some huge scoring numbers from him, but it takes a truly great player to know when to set your offense aside and contribue in other ways. He was really impressive tonight in that way.

Billy Dat
01-03-2010, 11:01 PM
Singler/Scheyer/Smith

BlueintheFace
01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
It's nice when 22 points, 6 assists and 3 turnovers means it's time to go with someone else, and a 2:1 A/TO ratio seems bad, isn't it? ;)

I mean, I get bored...

Welcome2DaSlopes
01-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Singler/Scheyer/Smith

In this game

Smith/Scheyer/Singler

Jumbo
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Had to go with Nolan for his defensive pressure.

So hard to pick though. Scheyer just went to another level in the second half. I thought Kyle played a great game. Didn't force anything. I know we all want to see some huge scoring numbers from him, but it takes a truly great player to know when to set your offense aside and contribue in other ways. He was really impressive tonight in that way.

BTW, did you notice that not only did Duke run a couple of sets for Singler on the block; they recognized when Young got caught on him on a switch, immediately looked to post to him and ended up drawing a foul? Good sign.

COYS
01-03-2010, 11:33 PM
BTW, did you notice that not only did Duke run a couple of sets for Singler on the block; they recognized when Young got caught on him on a switch, immediately looked to post to him and ended up drawing a foul? Good sign.

I noticed this and also noticed, per the conversation on the other thread, that when the ball went to Singler in the post, our spacing was excellent. Good things seemed to happen the few times that Singler did get the ball down low. I hope we continue to see more of it.

I had to go with Jon as player of the game, though. Singler's defense was superb and his offense was much more efficient than it has been, but Jon handled the press well, made a few clutch steals, played great D and hit some big time shots. Started out cold from the field, but kept at it and ended up with a nice percentage at 6-13. He also got to the line in one key sequence in the second half (wish I could remember the time). Our offense seemed to have bogged and he made a nice foray into the lane that resulted in a foul and two free throws and seemed to get our offense moving again in subsequent possessions.

-bdbd
01-04-2010, 12:09 AM
It may be Scheyer who gets the most points, but I really believe that Nolan is the most important guy on our team. His speed and athleticism are irreplaceable. I thought Singler and Scheyer were terrific as usual tonight, but did have off-shooting over long periods of time (Scheyer in the first half, and Singler maybe the middle third of the game). Nolan just seems steady and solid. I just can't get over the improvement and confidence since last year!!

:)

chrisheery
01-04-2010, 12:12 AM

I actually thought about sending you a PM on that exact play. Loved seeing it. Loved that Kyle saw the mismatch, went to the post, the team recognized it, gave him the ball and made space for him. I hope we can keep that up.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I went with Scheyer, by a nose over Nolan. It was almost a coin flip.

greybeard
01-04-2010, 12:43 AM

Good catch too, J; is this a great board or what!

Greg_Newton
01-04-2010, 01:40 AM
I voted for Ishmael Smith. Scheyer had a good second half, but he was a complete non-factor in first half of the broadcast while Ishmael was carrying his team!

CameronCrazy'11
01-04-2010, 03:20 AM

I think those were around JWill's averages his junior year :)

Bob Green
01-04-2010, 06:18 AM
I voted for Jon Scheyer because when Clemson stormed out in the second half and ripped off 11 straight points to cut our 18 point lead to seven, Scheyer responded by scoring five straight points to stop the bleeding and up the lead back to 12.

Those five points might have been the most important points Duke scored in the game - game, set, MOTM Scheyer!

Delaware
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I went with Kyle. His "attitude" and toughness set the tone in the first half when scoring was tough. And his is getting better at pulling up for floaters, mini-jumpers, etc. vs. going all the way to the hoop and running into bigs at the rim. Nolan and Jon were VERY good also and it could have gone to any of them.

DukieInBrasil
01-04-2010, 08:37 AM
I went with Scheyer due to the well-orchestrated 2nd half offense and his own personal 19 pt second half explosion, the 6 assists were nice too. Could have gone with Nolan because he was very efficient from the floor or Kyle who played an excellent all-around game.

SushiChef
01-04-2010, 08:53 AM
I can't believe Lance didn't get more votes. His stat line wasn't the best, but he carried the team on defense. Holding Booker to 10 points and only committing two fouls was impressive. Not to mention all the charges he took.

lpd1982
01-04-2010, 09:31 AM
What was Nolan's stated goal?

Jumbo, I'm paraphrasing, but he said that the game last year against Clemson haunted him more than any game he played since middle school, including Nova last year and that he couldn't wait to play the game. If I was a betting man I would have bet the house Nolan would somehow end up with the most ponts and d I said so to my family. Too bad I don't have the courage of my convictions and had put my money where my mouth is.

I also know Coach K took his last timeout in the Clemson loss last year, not to call plays or give direction but to have the whole team face the scoreboard and look at it for the entire 30 seconds. Worked on Nolan, I guess. That's why Coach is coach.

rskale7
01-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Had to go with Scheyer. He brought the lead back with his threes in the second half.

NSDukeFan
01-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I voted for Jon Scheyer because when Clemson stormed out in the second half and ripped off 11 straight points to cut our 18 point lead to seven, Scheyer responded by scoring five straight points to stop the bleeding and up the lead back to 12.

Those five points might have been the most important points Duke scored in the game - game, set, MOTM Scheyer!

I may have put too much importance on one 5 point play, but I agree it was a big momentum changer and went for Jon because of that as well. What a dagger!

Agree that Ishmael Smith was a factor in the first half.

SupaDave
01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Actually one of the biggest tides to me was the shot by Mason which was followed by a Jon steal and a three point shot. THAT was big time. It crushed Clemson and showed that they weren't on the same level.

jv001
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm going to start voting for them in a rotation. So hard to pick one when all 3 play so well. Tonight for me it was Kyle. I like his toughness and his confidence. Great all around player. Good to see him posted up. Go Duke!

OldSchool
01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
It was hard to pick just one person, but I went with Jon because he made my favorite play of the season so far, when he stole that inbound pass and immediately drained a three. What a fantastic play.

That was the equivalent of grabbing your opponent and body-slamming him to the mat.

weezie
01-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Singler, his everywhere play, ball awareness, woofing at Booker, so great!

He's our engine.