PDA

View Full Version : Shelden Article

zingit
03-03-2007, 01:35 AM
I got kinda sad reading this article (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2007/02/27/0228hawks.html) about Shelden Williams's struggles with the Hawks. It sounds like both Shelden and his coach are unhappy with each other. It was surprising for me to see Shelden criticizing (albeit mildly--maybe more like questioning) his coach in public, as well as his coach saying Shelden wasn't doing enough "dirty work." Anyone who pays more attention to the NBA want to give any insight into this situation? I can only hope that Shelden and J.J. will keep working hard and things will get better for them.

jaimedun34
03-03-2007, 12:12 PM
So, the coach says that Shelden isn't doing the "dirty work" which I interpret as defensive rebounding, blocking shots, defense... The problem I have with the coach is that he says...:

"A lot of times matchups have been the problem. It's tough to play him on some of the power forwards that are really perimeter guys. They can put the ball on the floor and shoot it, and it's tough to put him out there in those situations."

There are a lot of perimeter oriented power forwards in the league, and if Shelden is defending them he's going to be drawn out of the paint. He isn't quick enough to guard them. I hope that Woodson isn't expecting Shelden to guard that type of player. He belongs in the paint.