PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch the end of that Florida/NCSU game

Mrezt
01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Florida was down by 2 with 2.6 seconds left (or something close to that) and a UF player hits his only field goal from probably about 60 feet to win the game. Will try to find a video whenever it is up. It was amazing..that is why i love college basketball :)

callaway
01-03-2010, 05:37 PM
shot came from 70 feet out...check watch Sports Center for the next 48 hours and you will see the shot...often.

dukeblue1206
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah makes me feel bad for those guys. Was turning back and forth between that game and the Dallas football game. Turned it back just in time to see the State player miss the free throw and Florida guy heeve it up. I always like to watch the fans and players in the background when they show the replays. Would have never been in that situation if State had not missed so many late free throws.

Stray Gator
01-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Of course we caught it down here in the habitat of Rowdy Reptiles. ;) We thought the Pack had this one wrapped when they went up by 6 in OT. Pretty amazing finish!

Duvall
01-03-2010, 05:47 PM
It's always sad to see the team that deserved the win have that win taken away from them by terrible coaching.

MChambers
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Pomeroy had Florida winning, 65-64, with only a 53% chance of winning.

roywhite
01-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Poor Wulfies! Man, that was a tough way to lose. 70 footer at the buzzer that was nothing but net.

I didn't see a whole lot of the game, but Florida didn't look very impressive. They did hit their shots in the last minute, including a tough 3-pointer from the top of the key and some foul shots, while NC State was not able to run much clock.

BlueintheFace
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYPda-eZarM

devilboomer
01-03-2010, 05:56 PM
It's always sad to see the team that deserved the win have that win taken away from them by terrible coaching.

NC State missed a boatload of free throws in the last minute of the game...

Mrezt
01-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Yup, guess i was wrong.. was about 70ft according to what i'm reading (and also forgot the word "game" in the thread title haha)

Came downstairs and caught the last minute of the overtime and was actually rooting for NCSU (had to go with ACC and I dont really mind NCSU). Wanted Rivers to see UF lose ;)

kelly
01-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Where can you find Pomeroy predictions online?

Duvall
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Where can you find Pomeroy predictions online?

Click on the team names for a schedule with predictions (http://kenpom.com/rate.php).

kelly
01-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Click on the team names for a schedule with predictions (http://kenpom.com/rate.php).

Thank you!

94duke
01-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Does anyone else think that it was a bad idea to intentionally foul FL and give them points from the free throw line with the clock stopped?

DoubleDuke Dad
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Does anyone else think that it was a bad idea to intentionally foul FL and give them points from the free throw line with the clock stopped?

I will assume that is a rhetorical question. Even though it took a miracle shot to beat NCST, Florida would have had a zero chance of winning with better coaching by Sidney Lowe. It almost seemed that he went out of his way to give Florida a chance to win.

94duke
01-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I didn't really mean for it to be rhetorical.
Some TV commentators are proponents of fouling to prevent a team from making the 3pt shot. I never like to give the team free points, so I disagree with this philosophy. I guess I was curious as to whether other posters agreed or disagreed with intentionally fouling a team to prevent a made 3pt shot.

camion
01-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I think that nine times out of ten State wins the game with that strategy once they're up by five in overtime. That's about the same as if they don't trade foul shots.

As a general strategy I don't like trading foul shots because it lengthens the game and lets the other team score with the clock stopped. I'd be more inclined to do it if my team shoots from the line like Duke and less inclined if it shoots like State.

roywhite
01-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I didn't really mean for it to be rhetorical.
Some TV commentators are proponents of fouling to prevent a team from making the 3pt shot. I never like to give the team free points, so I disagree with this philosophy. I guess I was curious as to whether other posters agreed or disagreed with intentionally fouling a team to prevent a made 3pt shot.

This was a case study of the strategy not working well, though the execution may have been largely at fault. NC State fouled quickly and used very little of the clock, effectively extending the game and increasing the chances of a loss. I think Florida finished either 2-23 or 3-23 approx. on 3-point FG attempts, with one of them being from the top of the key in the last minute and then the buzzer beater. So, with the benefit of hindsight and Florida's low shooting percentage up to that point, it would have been better for NC State to just play good defense without fouling.

Generally speaking, I prefer not to go for the foul in those circumstances. I think that's Coach K's philosophy; can't recall Duke fouling to prevent the 3 point attempt in such a situation.

Bluedog
01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Generally speaking, I prefer not to go for the foul in those circumstances. I think that's Coach K's philosophy; can't recall Duke fouling to prevent the 3 point attempt in such a situation.

Ask Coach Cal or Coach G if they'd change their strategy...Personally, I like fouling when up 3 and <5 seconds remaining. If Duke did that, we'd probably have a (women's) national championship. And Cal would as well (although I'm thankful he doesn't; although maybe NCAA would have vacated the wins anyways, but I'm sure they would have been much more cautious with an NCAA championships team.) I've seen too many times when a team hits a 3 to tie it. Having to make the first foul shot, miss the second, get the rebound, and hit a shot seems a lot more difficult than just making one three. Having said all that, I didn't see the ending of this game so can't comment on the particulars here...Quite an amazing and improbable shot to win it. Must hurt for the Wolfpack.

Huh?
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM

How do you like the Pomeroy site? Pretty acurate? I stick with the Dunkel Index, but I could use another site to compare.

MChambers
01-04-2010, 12:55 PM
How do you like the Pomeroy site? Pretty acurate? I stick with the Dunkel Index, but I could use another site to compare.

I think Pomeroy has the most well thought out statistical basis for its ratings. Having said that, like all ratings, they are subject to criticism.

If you want to get way too far into this, you could look at all the sites listed here:

www.mratings.com/cb/compare.htm

HoopsFan
01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I will assume that is a rhetorical question. Even though it took a miracle shot to beat NCST, Florida would have had a zero chance of winning with better coaching by Sidney Lowe. It almost seemed that he went out of his way to give Florida a chance to win.

Florida would have had a zero chance of winning with better coaching by Lowe??? That's a pretty strong statement. I'm pretty sure none of us know for sure how the game would have ended had Lowe used a different strategy. You can debate the strategy but I'll take my chances being up two with the opposition having to make a 70 footer at the buzzer any day of the week. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback.

Wander
01-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Can you name anyone who's hit two winning buzzer beaters in the same season? Dude just hit a 3 to beat South Carolina.

BD80
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Can you name anyone who's hit two winning buzzer beaters in the same season? Dude just hit a 3 to beat South Carolina.

Great finish, SC takes the ball out under its own basket with 11 seconds left, goes the length of the court, scores with about 4.5 seconds left, Fla comes back and launches a shot with the buzzer sounding as the ball is in the air.

My question is whether the clock is supposed to stop with the made basket. No time out was called, no whistle blew. But the home time keeper stopped the clock as the ball went through the basket and restarted it when the ball reached the Fla player receiving the inbounds pass. I thought it was supposed to be running clock.

-jk
01-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Great finish, SC takes the ball out under its own basket with 11 seconds left, goes the length of the court, scores with about 4.5 seconds left, Fla comes back and launches a shot with the buzzer sounding as the ball is in the air.

My question is whether the clock is supposed to stop with the made basket. No time out was called, no whistle blew. But the home time keeper stopped the clock as the ball went through the basket and restarted it when the ball reached the Fla player receiving the inbounds pass. I thought it was supposed to be running clock.

Um - that's been the rule for years now in the last minute of the game.

-jk