PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Texas hoops

jimsumner
01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
The Longhorns blew out mighty Texas A&M at Corpus Christi today 76-70.

I know, I know, one game and I'm not saying they aren't good.

But can you imagine Duke only beating Texas A&M-CC by six at home?

So maybe they aren't really an unstoppable behemoth.

Kansas? Maybe they are. Wouldn't mind being on the other side of their bracket come Selection Sunday.

miramar
01-02-2010, 10:57 PM
They shot 35% and were outrebounded by 10. Rick Barnes is not having a happy new year.

ricks68
01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Jim,

I think you know, better than most, even the best teams may lose games. Sometimes, even to second-rate teams.

Dexter Pittman is like a totally different player than in the past. I certainly think he may now be in the running for the best center in college bball. (At least when he is on the court.) Avery Bradley is a really, really talented guard---freshman or not. Damion James is a real stud. He can score from all over the court and just set the all-time Texas rebounding record. He is projected to be the #1 rebounder in Big 12 history by the end of the season. Jordan Hamilton is a lights-out 3 point shooter. Jai Lucas isn't much of a drop-off from Bradley. And, J'Covan Brown is another Bradley type (If he can keep his head together.) The Dogus Balbay kid was the left-over quick backcourt man until the new additons this year, and he was doing pretty good last year until this year's newbies came on board.

I left off Mason, who was an experienced reliable player last year, and Johnson, who has also played very well so far.

They have about 10 legitimate starters that are mostly interchangeable. they also do not play like Calamari players do at Kentucky. They appear to be very coachable (J'Covan Brown---we'll have to see.) Oh, and and a big difference from the past, they appear to be able (and apparently understand the value) of playing pretty good defense.

I also noticed a big difference between the new players at Texas and the new ones at Kentucky and the guys down the road. They just seem to fit in more easily with the older players and are playing very, very well within the system.

While I am a really loyal Duke long-time supporter, as you probably know, I still can't deny what I see in other teams. If the Texas team continues to value defense and stay within the team concept, they could possibly finally put Barnes on top by the end of the year.

ricks

A-Tex Devil
01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
I was at the game yesterday and it was like a perfect storm of things going wrong plus a really hot shooter on the Islanders.

Texas was lazy on the boards, not into the game at all, and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn from 3. If they didn't turn agro-Corpus Christi over 20+ times, they would have lost.

If Texas' shooters aren't hitting, they will have trouble against a good zone. But frankly, they were running some really good plays against the zone getting an open shot on the elbow, but couldn't hit the three or the mid-range jumper and the whole team lost their touch around the rim.

Barnes wasn't coaching up the players much during the game from what I could tell. I imagine he was letting them play their way through it then will get after them in practice. Conference play is coming up. If they sleepwalk through any conference games like they did yesterday, they'll lose. They played that badly.

gotham devil
01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
The Longhorns blew out mighty Texas A&M at Corpus Christi today 76-70.

I know, I know, one game and I'm not saying they aren't good.

But can you imagine Duke only beating Texas A&M-CC by six at home?

Kansas? Maybe they are. Wouldn't mind being on the other side of their bracket come Selection Sunday.

As a historian of sorts, can you recall games where Rick Barnes took a team with less talent and defeated the more talented team with an elite-level bench coach (Knight, Majerus)?

By sheer chance alone, with over 700 games coached, there must be some examples.

Duvall
01-03-2010, 05:08 PM
As a historian of sorts, can you recall games where Rick Barnes took a team with less talent and defeated the more talented team with an elite-level bench coach?

January 4, 1995.

MChambers
01-03-2010, 05:13 PM

Yep, seems like Kansas has the best combination of talent and experience. A lot can happen over the next two months or so, but I expect Kansas to be the #1 seed. If they don't fight the football team again . . .

Kedsy
01-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Yep, seems like Kansas has the best combination of talent and experience. A lot can happen over the next two months or so, but I expect Kansas to be the #1 seed. If they don't fight the football team again . . .

I attended the Kansas/Temple game yesterday, and the Jayhawks looked pretty darn good. Aldrich is a beast, Collins is a dart, and they appear very difficult to stop in either the half-court or transition. They only got out on the break a few times, but when they did, wow. If Xavier Henry ever learns to shoot, then look out...

I'm not saying they can't lose, but they're going to be in the national championship discussion all year long. I haven't seen Texas in person, but I can't imagine they're as good as Kansas.

jimsumner
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
"January 4, 1995"

K's last game of that season.

Barnes did some pretty impressive work at Death Valley, without prep All-Americans, without a lot of hoops tradition. Remember the 1996-97 season-opening win over Kentucky on national TV? Guy named Pitino coached on the other bench.

Barnes got that 1997 team up to 2nd in the AP poll in late January with a squad that started Terrell McIntyre, Merl Code, Harold Jamison, Greg Buckner and Tom Wideman. Finished 23-10 (9-7 ACC) that season, with ACC wins over Duke, Maryland twice and a NCAA win over Tulsa that got the team to the Sweet Sixteen.

That seems pretty solid to this historian of sorts.

Duvall
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Also, on a happier note, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIT9vJv1frQ&feature=PlayList&p=23B33F440BBEABA6&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26).

FireOgilvie
01-03-2010, 06:37 PM
f Xavier Henry ever learns to shoot, then look out...

He's shooting 51% FG and 46% from 3 this year. Maybe you were joking.

Kedsy
01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
He's shooting 51% FG and 46% from 3 this year. Maybe you were joking.

Sorry. I hate using smilies.

juise
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Apparently, if you hit some jumpers, the Islanders aren't the toughest opponent out there. (Link (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300040052))

JasonEvans
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Apparently, if you hit some jumpers, the Islanders aren't the toughest opponent out there. (Link (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=300040052))

I think this makes Florida State a 30 point favorite should they play Texas down the road. Anyone want some of that action?

--Jason "college basketball is crazy!" Evans