PDA

View Full Version : I'll take what we have thank you

JBJL8
01-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Wow. Just spent 10 minutes watching the Louisville/Kentucky game.

Kentucky is a bunch of classless, cocky, reflection of their coach players.

Watched Cousins place a forearm shiver on a player from Louisville and not get kicked out of the game.

Watched Calimari attempt to coach Bledsoe as Bledsoe continued yelling over Cal's shoulder at the U of L player. Wondered at the time if a Duke player were to do that if we would EVER see them on the court again.

I will take the group of players we have over that bunch any day. Respectful, work hard, support each other...and most importantly...rarely if ever will you see a Duke player have the outward display of ridiculous emotion that just makes you cringe as a fan. I saw at least 4 scenarios in the first 10 minutes of the Kentucky game that just made me go..."Wow..that is just ridiculous."

Thanks to Coach K and staff for putting together squads over the years that were easy to support and more importantly...players that were taught how to play the game respectfully. It still does mean something.

RoyalBlue08
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I think you are being too hard on Cal. He held Beldsoe out for like 3 mins of game action after he completely ignored his coach and tried to start a fight with the other team.

moonpie23
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
i'd love to see rick walk outta there with a win....

louisville looked lost for the first 15 min, now they actually look like they are getting a handle on it...

moonpie23
01-02-2010, 04:25 PM
i agree totally.....cousins should not be in this game...

DevilHorns
01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
i'd love to see rick walk outta there with a win....

louisville looked lost for the first 15 min, now they actually look like they are getting a handle on it...

definitely rooting for louisville!

uk needs to get exposed and go on a 5 game losing streak.

dyedwab
01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
I've leaned negative on Kentucky for years...

...but since hiring Calipari, I wish they lose every game forever....

jimsumner
01-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Cousins has a serious chance to become my least favorite player in quite some time.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Any chance Louisville can come back in the last 12 minutes and win this game? Probably not, but it would be nice!

Heck! It's only a 4 point game now!

SupaDave
01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Not to mention - Louisville has fought back admirably...

diveonthefloor
01-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Calislimy is a classless snake oil salesman.

The NCAA violation timebomb is ticking. Wonder when it will blow up in his face?

wolfpackdevil
01-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Im sorry, but I dont know why everybody seems to hate Demarcus Cousins.

He is one of the hardest working big men in college basketball right now. If you saw any of the game today, you saw a FRESHMAN score 18 points and have 18 rebounds. Rebounds do not get handed out in envelopes; You have to work for them.

Now he did throw an elbow at the beginning of the game. But this isn't an exhibition game. This was one of the biggest rivalry games of the year. And he showed his passion for Kentucky.

I'll take him in a second for my team.

Newton_14
01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I think you are being too hard on Cal. He held Beldsoe out for like 3 mins of game action after he completely ignored his coach and tried to start a fight with the other team.

The fact that Bledsoe had so little respect for his coach that he continued to yell right over top of him said more about Cal than it did about Bledsoe in my opinion. As another poster alluded to, picture this scene:

It's Duke vs UNC in Cameron and Mason Plumlee gets the start. 8 seconds into the game Mason is called for a wrestling foul against Deon Thompson and starts jawing at Deon. K takes him out and gets in Mason's face to calm him down but Mason ignores K and continues to jaw at Deon right over K's head. It would not be a pretty sight.

That little scene today along with several other things showed clearly what kind of camp Cal runs. I tend to put what we witnessed today on the shoulders of Cal moreso than the players. Cousins may be a head case but the right coach could help him there.

I don't think Wall is a bad kid either and is deserving of most of the praise he gets from the media. The guy is just a special talent with tremendous ability. That kind of player only comes along ever so often. I hate he chose Kentucky but outside of that I find him a joy to watch play. I was sort of hoping Wall would have a great showing in a loss, but maybe another day..

studdlee10
01-02-2010, 10:00 PM

He is one of the hardest working big men in college basketball right now. If you saw any of the game today, you saw a FRESHMAN score 18 points and have 18 rebounds. Rebounds do not get handed out in envelopes; You have to work for them.

Now he did throw an elbow at the beginning of the game. But this isn't an exhibition game. This was one of the biggest rivalry games of the year. And he showed his passion for Kentucky.

I'll take him in a second for my team.

I have to disagree. I will take guys like Mason and Miles every day of the week and take my chances. As talented of a player as Cousins is, he is a total punk on the court. Cousins was constantly complaining about calls and loafed up and down the court. He cost his teams points and fouls numerous times. This might not matter against a mediocre 'Ville team (they got killed by Nevada) who only has one inside threat, but he is going to be a liability against guys like Cole Aldrich and Dexter Pittman down the road. Cousins' lack of respect was also on display today. He yelled...at his OWN coaches and teammates on a number of occasions. The announcers passed this off as over-exuberance and emotion, but I call it lack of respect and an inability to control oneself. Not even Rasheed Wallace was this bad in college. Cousins' combination of talent and attitude is Derrick Coleman all over again.

Wildcat
01-02-2010, 10:18 PM
lay off those guys some. Number one, we don't recruit players who aren't disciplined and coach K'able; so to compare their players to ours is not a the best analogy or comparison. We are fortunate because, 'for the most part' we land kids who are smart, high character, raised in good homes, and have little to know problems with attitude or discipline problems. Unfortunately, that's not every players or teams/programs reality. Let's remember these are 18,19 and 20 year old kids. Give them a little room to be the young men they are, as long as they aren't doing anything detestable, horrific, heinous or too disrespectful.

wolfpackdevil
01-02-2010, 10:34 PM
lay off those guys some. Number one, we don't recruit players who aren't disciplined and coach K'able; so to compare their players to ours is not a the best analogy or comparison. We are fortunate because, 'for the most part' we land kids who are smart, high character, raised in good homes, and have little to know problems with attitude or discipline problems. Unfortunately, that's not every players or teams/programs reality. Let's remember these are 18,19 and 20 year old kids. Give them a little room to be the young men they are, as long as they aren't doing anything detestable, horrific, heinous or too disrespectful.

Thank you. you are so right. Not all 17 and 18 year old kids are "gods" like some of the guys Duke brings in. These guys are still growing as young men, so give them a little room to grow up instead of pummling them into the ground.

roywhite
01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Thank you. you are so right. Not all 17 and 18 year old kids are "gods" like some of the guys Duke brings in. These guys are still growing as young men, so give them a little room to grow up instead of pummling them into the ground.

Sorry, I don't see this as a support site for UK players and coaches. I don't like the way Calipari does things, for example running off the guys on scholarship so he could mold his roster when he came onboard at Kentucky.

I haven't liked Cousins since I saw him play poorly, loaf, and act out on the court in a postseason USA/International junior competition last spring.

Give the guys a break for inappropriate behavior, if you want to. But I'll form my own opinions.

KYtotheCore
01-02-2010, 10:42 PM
I logged on to see if someone had started a thread about the UK/Louisville game, and as I suspected they had. I read some displeasure with performance, some ill-wishers of UK, as well as some people other than UK fans (thank you wolfpackdevil!), and even though IMO it was a UGLY game, I seem to remember Hansbrough bleeding from his nose a season or two ago. If that stirs you as a duke fan, why? Just curious, why all the threads about a team/coach/player that everyone "hates" so much? The opposite of love isn't hate - it's apathy. To hate someone/something means they captivate you on some level. So why do the Duke fans express such interest? Do they not see it as fair that two other teams in this country have equal enthusiasm for beating each other? Perhaps it's because you guys get more than once a year to face UNC? Duke fans can hope for a sweep or redemption if the first game doesn't pan out. The state of KY only gets one shot/year. Of course our intensity as a fan base are like ancient Rome. It's for keeps for an entire YEAR. Patterson said on the local news tonight that Delk (Louisville) said "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best". Bledsoe's comment was we'll worry about that when we meet them" and I guess Delk didn't like it.

KYtotheCore
01-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Just wondering - why all of the interest in UK's program/coach/players? I truly don't uderstand this. I see all of this rhetoric about KY as a program, as a fan base, etc. . . all over a team that, by all observations, is hated by the majority of the Duke fan base. I guess it puzzles me because the opposite of love isn't hate - it's apathy. To hate something or someone is admitting it has you captivated to even a minute degree; it captivates you. On another note, IMO the UK/Louisville game was UUUGGGGLLLLLYYYY. The UK fans are a little dismayed because we all feel that it should have been no less than a 25 pt. victory considering the discrepency in talent, but I guess every day can't be Christmas. We'll certainly take it though!

On another note, the local news interviewed Bledsoe tonight, and asked him what occurred at the very beginning of the game between him and Delk. He said that Delk said to him "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." Bledsoe said Delk got puffed up when he responded "I know, but we won't be meeting them until later in the season". You Duke fans are SO LUCKY! You get to play your rivalry twice a year. We get a one and done. You LUCKY RASCALS! That's probably why our rivalry is so heated. Playing each other once a year certainly exacerbates an ancient- Roman lust for victory we have here. By the way, did Hansbrough's nose ever heal up?

dukemsu
01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I have to disagree. I will take guys like Mason and Miles every day of the week and take my chances. As talented of a player as Cousins is, he is a total punk on the court. Cousins was constantly complaining about calls and loafed up and down the court. He cost his teams points and fouls numerous times. This might not matter against a mediocre 'Ville team (they got killed by Nevada) who only has one inside threat, but he is going to be a liability against guys like Cole Aldrich and Dexter Pittman down the road. Cousins' lack of respect was also on display today. He yelled...at his OWN coaches and teammates on a number of occasions. The announcers passed this off as over-exuberance and emotion, but I call it lack of respect and an inability to control oneself. Not even Rasheed Wallace was this bad in college. Cousins' combination of talent and attitude is Derrick Coleman all over again.

I was struggling to find an accurate comparison for Cousins. Derrick Coleman is just about perfect. Well done.

dukemsu

brevity
01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Oh good, another Kentucky thread.

Just curious, why all the threads about a team/coach/player that everyone "hates" so much? The opposite of love isn't hate - it's apathy.

When it comes to Kentucky, I'm mostly wary. The sleeping giant is awake, and all that. It's worthy of some discussion.

But I agree -- the overly defensive tone of all of these Kentucky threads make many DBR posters sound insecure. Sure, you'll take Duke players over those spoiled and apparently corrupt Wildcats. Tell us something we don't know.

This might not matter against a mediocre 'Ville team (they got killed by Nevada) who only has one inside threat, but he is going to be a liability against guys like Cole Aldrich and Dexter Pittman down the road.

East Coast bias strikes again. Louisville lost to UNLV, not Nevada. Also, the game (http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=293322439) was in Las Vegas and the Cardinals lost by 5.

Now, you could argue that they got killed by Charlotte...

El_Diablo
01-03-2010, 06:19 AM

Actually, the only person pummeling someone else into the ground was...

http://www.straitpinkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/cous-300x185.jpg

...Demarcus Cousins.

oldnavy
01-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Just wondering - why all of the interest in UK's program/coach/players? I truly don't uderstand this. I see all of this rhetoric about KY as a program, as a fan base, etc. . . all over a team that, by all observations, is hated by the majority of the Duke fan base. I guess it puzzles me because the opposite of love isn't hate - it's apathy. To hate something or someone is admitting it has you captivated to even a minute degree; it captivates you. On another note, IMO the UK/Louisville game was UUUGGGGLLLLLYYYY. The UK fans are a little dismayed because we all feel that it should have been no less than a 25 pt. victory considering the discrepency in talent, but I guess every day can't be Christmas. We'll certainly take it though!

On another note, the local news interviewed Bledsoe tonight, and asked him what occurred at the very beginning of the game between him and Delk. He said that Delk said to him "If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best." Bledsoe said Delk got puffed up when he responded "I know, but we won't be meeting them until later in the season". You Duke fans are SO LUCKY! You get to play your rivalry twice a year. We get a one and done. You LUCKY RASCALS! That's probably why our rivalry is so heated. Playing each other once a year certainly exacerbates an ancient- Roman lust for victory we have here. By the way, did Hansbrough's nose ever heal up?

I have to wonder why a UK fan would have an account on a Duke fan site. "I truly don't understand this"?

alteran
01-03-2010, 08:09 AM
i have to wonder why a uk fan would have an account on a duke fan site. "i truly don't understand this"?

score!!!

lpd1982
01-03-2010, 08:34 AM
I was in Louisville last week and a fan told me that the one meeting a year is mandated by the state legislature. That prior to this mandate, Kentucky would not routinely schedule a meeting (would love to know if this is true or not). As to the comments regarding Duke players as compared to the Kentucky crew and others, I think Duke fans use instances such as the Cousins roughing as a gut check. Every once in a while when we miss a recruit, have a tough loss,etc. we let a little doubt creep in that maybe if our program were more like others, if K didn't hold everyone to such a high standard we might have more of an 'edge' and it would be just that added extra we need. Then, we see what it looks like up close and change our minds.

Faison1
01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
I actually think the current situation is great. A mediocre Kentucky team is not good for basketball. And of equal importance, a team that might mentally explode every night out, is just plain good entertainment.

Already they've been on a nationally televised CBS game several times (I think; I know they played UNC on CBS), and I've happily watched several of their games. I imagine many non-Duke fans feel the same way....that is, we are forced to watch their games, so I hope they're good. Otherwise, I am changing the channel.

Wander
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM

He is one of the hardest working big men in college basketball right now.

I don't know why you think he's one of the hardest working guys in the country. He's inconsistent, undisciplined, and his work ethic sucks. And I say that as someone who thinks the anti-Wall stuff on here is a bunch of crap.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/12734436/combustible-cousins-could-incinerate-kentuckys-title-dream

moonpie23
01-03-2010, 10:29 AM
how many times did they show the replay?

the first time they showed it, i said "oh man....he's outta the game"

the second time i said "oh yeah, he is definitely out of the game"

the third time they showed it, clark K said, "yeah, that COULD be an ejection"

the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th time they showed it while the refs were huddling over the monitor, clark K and i were in total agreement.

then......."unsportsman-like foul"

WTH????

i wonder if the NCAA will respond to the refs?

BlueintheFace
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Cousins has a serious chance to become my least favorite player in quite some time.

No joke. It's not just his actions, it is his mouth too. Usually I develop a distinct distaste for players Duke actually plays against, but I surprisingly respected all the players on UConn for how hard they played and how they conducted themselves (Maybe with the exception of Robinson). I actually have come to admire Gavin Edwards more than almost any non-Duke player thus far this season. I love his game. I haven't even developed a strong dislike for most of the new Tarheels yet (Ginyard is probably enemy number 1 on that team). However, somehow Cousins has vaulted to the top of my list. I struggle to think of anybody else who comes close.

Poincaré
01-03-2010, 12:47 PM
I understand that Kentucky has some unsavory characters around, but, come on, let's get back to hating Carolina. I'd take Kentucky beating Carolina any day of the week (especially because wins are vacated but losses are not!).

Bomar
01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Is this guy attending the Deron Washington school of basketball? :rolleyes::D

gep
01-03-2010, 03:00 PM
In that CBS video, after they all get separated, Cousins looks like he's trying to say "what? me? technical? what for?" :eek:

airowe
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
@18 seconds, Calipari to Tony Delk:

"Eric's gonna kick your a** after the game. You messed with the wrong guy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0xiUmJOZ8

KYtotheCore
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I have to wonder why a UK fan would have an account on a Duke fan site. "I truly don't understand this"?

Because I'm a basketball fan in general, I just happen to love UK's tradition. Besides, you can type in "Wildcat Forum" or Wildcat discussion" - something to that affect - on google and it brought me here . . . hmmm. I didn't even know this was here until that search. Don't blame me, blame google.

KYtotheCore
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
score!!!

Besides, you can type in "Wildcat Forum" or Wildcat discussion" - something to that affect - on google and it brought me here . . . hmmm. I didn't even know this was here until that search. Don't blame me, blame google.

. . . and 1!

FireOgilvie
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
@18 seconds, Calipari to Tony Delk:

"Eric's gonna kick your a** after the game. You messed with the wrong guy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0xiUmJOZ8

Wow, he does actually say that (or something close). That's ridiculous.

DukeBlood
01-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Besides, you can type in "Wildcat Forum" or Wildcat discussion" - something to that affect - on google and it brought me here . . . hmmm. I didn't even know this was here until that search. Don't blame me, blame google.

. . . and 1!

It shouldn't bother people that a Kentucky fan is on this board. Having a outsiders input is always worth hearing, even if you don't like it.

A real question is though, how can you root for this Kentucky team? Can you honestly say you like the way they hold themselves on the court? Did you not see what Cousin's did? The trash talk is part of the game, but dont ya think they took it a little far?

I wont even get started about your coach.

El_Diablo
01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Because I'm a basketball fan in general, I just happen to love UK's tradition. Besides, you can type in "Wildcat Forum" or Wildcat discussion" - something to that affect - on google and it brought me here . . . hmmm. I didn't even know this was here until that search. Don't blame me, blame google.

First, google didn't create your DBR account and start posting here for you. Second, there are a lot of college basketball fans in general here too, so don't get upset that the college basketball discussion sometimes meanders onto your team, especially when your team is making national news--both positive and negative. The UL game was a little of both for UK...a win against a big rival, but some dirty play and poor sportsmanship from your players. I know it's been a while since Kentucky was relevant, so this might take some getting used to for you, but other people do take notice of this stuff. I seem to remember you starting quite a few threads on DBR relating to Kentucky basketball--why are you suddenly so upset that we mention your team now?

Maybe the tone of some of the posts were overly critical of UK players, but the overall topic is a valid one for college basketball fans to discuss. Kentucky is having a great season so far, and we may run into them in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament. Calipari recruits at the national level, and we will continue to have our share of recruiting battles with UK over the next several years. A lot of people were really upset about "losing" Bledsoe to UK, so this thread is a useful reminder that maybe Coach K saw something with Bledsoe that we didn't when he decided to not offer Bledsoe a scholarship. And that the grass isn't completely green on the UK side of the fence right now, despite the constant Sportscenter highlights.

In keeping with the original theme of this thread, I too am happy with the players Coach K has brought into the program and with the way he runs it. Go Duke!

alteran
01-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Funny, neither of those searches turned up DBR or Duke fans of any kind on the first 2 pages of results. Please feel free to queue up your next excuse.

Look, it's legitimate to question the underpinnings of Duke antipathy towards Kentucky. Just don't get patronizing about it when you transparently have the exact same issue.

MChambers
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
When Duke fans are disappointed with Coach K's recruiting, as they sometimes are, it's important to remember that he really tries to examine each potential recruit's character. I think that is more important to him than pure basketball ability. Sometimes, it means that Duke doesn't have the best physical talent on the floor (and sometimes the talent is just fine, thank you), but I agree with any tradeoff.

KYtotheCore
01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
First, google didn't create your DBR account and start posting here for you. Second, there are a lot of college basketball fans in general here too, so don't get upset that the college basketball discussion sometimes meanders onto your team, especially when your team is making national news--both positive and negative. The UL game was a little of both for UK...a win against a big rival, but some dirty play and poor sportsmanship from your players. I know it's been a while since Kentucky was relevant, so this might take some getting used to for you, but other people do take notice of this stuff. I seem to remember you starting quite a few threads on DBR relating to Kentucky basketball--why are you suddenly so upset that we mention your team now?

Maybe the tone of some of the posts were overly critical of UK players, but the overall topic is a valid one for college basketball fans to discuss. Kentucky is having a great season so far, and we may run into them in the later rounds of the NCAA tournament. Calipari recruits at the national level, and we will continue to have our share of recruiting battles with UK over the next several years. A lot of people were really upset about "losing" Bledsoe to UK, so this thread is a useful reminder that maybe Coach K saw something with Bledsoe that we didn't when he decided to not offer Bledsoe a scholarship. And that the grass isn't completely green on the UK side of the fence right now, despite the constant Sportscenter highlights.

In keeping with the original theme of this thread, I too am happy with the players Coach K has brought into the program and with the way he runs it. Go Duke!

I guess I don't recall being "upset" as you state. I believe I used the word "curious". As for questioning me being able to root for the cats, it's like new Yorkers rooting for the Yankees - it's your privlege as a KY native. I never said anything about Cousins being in the right. I thought he was going to be thrown out of the game, but I don't make that call. I was really just stymied as to why all of the interest of a team that Durham reviles. Duke is a great team, and I've never really contested that, but not all programs are run alike, and thank goodness for that. Coach K is a great coach, but he probably wouldn't be a good fit here. The passion here is different. It makes me wonder how if a player is offered a scholarship at both KY and Duke but gives the nod to KY he is suddenly questionable in character? Not everyone dreams of going to Duke. I don't make that call either.

KYtotheCore
01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Funny, neither of those searches turned up DBR or Duke fans of any kind on the first 2 pages of results. Please feel free to queue up your next excuse.

Look, it's legitimate to question the underpinnings of Duke antipathy towards Kentucky. Just don't get patronizing about it when you transparently have the exact same issue.

Wow. I was having a little bit of a pity party for myself . . . today being the last day off before having to return to work and I'm spending it on a forum . . . until I read your response and I realized I guess I'm not the guy checking validity of all of the other posters. Let's you and I make a pact to get a little more going on our Sunday afternoons for ourselves in '10. What do you say? Party of 2?

dukemsu
01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Wow. I was having a little bit of a pity party for myself . . . today being the last day off before having to return to work and I'm spending it on a forum . . . until I read your response and I realized I guess I'm not the guy checking validity of all of the other posters. Let's you and I make a pact to get a little more going on our Sunday afternoons for ourselves in '10. What do you say? Party of 2?

Um, wow. What we have here is someone lurking on a Duke board, calling out someone who is a Duke fan for spending time on said Duke board.

Are you joking? Sure, there are things we could all be doing, but we like talking to other Duke fans and college basketball fans here.

What are they discussing at Rupp's Rafters? Thermonuclear physics?

dukemsu

KYtotheCore
01-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Um, wow. What we have here is someone lurking on a Duke board, calling out someone who is a Duke fan for spending time on said Duke board.

Are you joking? Sure, there are things we could all be doing, but we like talking to other Duke fans and college basketball fans here.

What are they discussing at Rupp's Rafters? Thermonuclear physics?

dukemsu

These verbal spars stopped following context about 3 posts ago. Let's just keep it all relative because we're all starting to look a little sad, frankly. It's leading into sidebar opinions that have nothing to do with the . . . oh just forget it.

KenTankerous
01-03-2010, 11:05 PM
KYtothecore, please try to be nicer. DBR, like Duke, is a unique place in the elite college sports universe. The basketball IQ is higher. The tolerance for opposing opinion greater. The latitude given non-Duke fans wider. Don't muck it up by stepping in here and trying to be condescending and smug. Thanks.

As a Kentucky fan, I come here because my fiance is a Dukie. I had the privilege of attending a game at Cameron two years ago and have to say it was one of the most glorious sporting events I have ever attended. My posts here have been well received, thoughtfully considered and tastefully answered. And while UK's return to relevance has created some animosity and generated some snarkiness, mostly, the posters on DBR want Kentucky to be relevant because that is good for college basketball.

Almost all of the negativity about Kentucky on this board this year comes from a place that a lot of Kentucky fans share with the idea of the OP - this Kentucky squad does not respect the game, does not respect their opponents, and views the 2009-2010 college basketball season as a six month try-out for the NBA scouts. And that attitude stems from Calipari.

Cal's dirty. And Kentucky fan's ought to be scared. What price might Kentucky's next coach have to pay for these victories? Is it REALLY worth the risk?

Izzo would have been a much better hire.

So to the point of this thread - HELL YES! Be very happy with the players you have. Thank your lucky stars you have Coach K!

(Pssss - look at your wins over UConn and Long Beach State and compare them to those same teams against #3... Interesting, no?)

KYtotheCore
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
KYtothecore, please try to be nicer. DBR, like Duke, is a unique place in the elite college sports universe. The basketball IQ is higher. The tolerance for opposing opinion greater. The latitude given non-Duke fans wider. Don't muck it up by stepping in here and trying to be condescending and smug. Thanks.

As a Kentucky fan, I come here because my fiance is a Dukie. I had the privilege of attending a game at Cameron two years ago and have to say it was one of the most glorious sporting events I have ever attended. My posts here have been well received, thoughtfully considered and tastefully answered. And while UK's return to relevance has created some animosity and generated some snarkiness, mostly, the posters on DBR want Kentucky to be relevant because that is good for college basketball.

Almost all of the negativity about Kentucky on this board this year comes from a place that a lot of Kentucky fans share with the idea of the OP - this Kentucky squad does not respect the game, does not respect their opponents, and views the 2009-2010 college basketball season as a six month try-out for the NBA scouts. And that attitude stems from Calipari.

Cal's dirty. And Kentucky fan's ought to be scared. What price might Kentucky's next coach have to pay for these victories? Is it REALLY worth the risk?

Izzo would have been a much better hire.

So to the point of this thread - HELL YES! Be very happy with the players you have. Thank your lucky stars you have Coach K!

(Pssss - look at your wins over UConn and Long Beach State and compare them to those same teams against #3... Interesting, no?)

Please read post #40 (both quote and reply). There was no smugness in my post. People on this board appear to be edgy though.

KenTankerous
01-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I read every post in a thread before I reply. You may not intend to, but you come off as smug and while the folks here at DBR are smart, funny, open, and tolerant, they are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt when you come charging in here as a UK fan onto their Duke board, just sayin'.

And if they seem edgy, well, reverse the scenario and picture how "edgy" Cat fans would be with a Dukie logging onto Rupp's Rafters and saying the things you posted.

This is Duke Basketball Report. Keep it about Duke or you really do not have any reason to come post here.

KYtotheCore
01-04-2010, 12:23 AM
I read every post in a thread before I reply. You may not intend to, but you come off as smug and while the folks here at DBR are smart, funny, open, and tolerant, they are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt when you come charging in here as a UK fan onto their Duke board, just sayin'.

And if they seem edgy, well, reverse the scenario and picture how "edgy" Cat fans would be with a Dukie logging onto Rupp's Rafters and saying the things you posted.

This is Duke Basketball Report. Keep it about Duke or you really do not have any reason to come post here.

I guess your opinion of "charging in here" by posting a question as to "why do Duke fans post so many posts about your and my team (UK) if they don't like anything about the program?". On behalf of Ken and myself (both UK fans), I apologize if my question and our behavior over this question was seen as insulting. I didn't realize a legitimate question could turn this forum upside down. I didn't intend for my question to be seen as a blitzkreig. Perhaps my question seemed irresponsible, accusing, insulting, etc. Not sure why, my pulse hasn't risen over 85 in over 2 weeks now, but sorry nonetheless.

Let me try this a different way . . . There might possibly exists a duke fan or two who don't admire the University of Kentucky basketball program. That being said - if you don't care for that particular program, why do some (not all) duke fans who claim not to like Kentucky spend so much time posting about that particular program? BTW, I am not hoping for nor requesting the benefit of the doubt from duke's fanabase, nor do I want to be seen as "upset" over it. Again, just mulling it over a little bit, and still awaiting a biased, unbiased, logical, calm, heated (your choice) answer to a vague curiosity from someone other than KenTankerous.

-jk
01-04-2010, 12:34 AM
I guess your opinion of "charging in here" by posting a question as to "why do Duke fans post so many posts about your and my team (UK) if they don't like anything about the program?". On behalf of Ken and myself (both UK fans), I apologize if my question and our behavior over this question was seen as insulting. I didn't realize a legitimate question could turn this forum upside down. I didn't intend for my question to be seen as a blitzkreig. Perhaps my question seemed irresponsible, accusing, insulting, etc. Not sure why, my pulse hasn't risen over 85 in over 2 weeks now, but sorry nonetheless.

Let me try this a different way . . . There might possibly exists a duke fan or two who don't admire the University of Kentucky basketball program. That being said - if you don't care for that particular program, why do some (not all) duke fans who claim not to like Kentucky spend so much time posting about that particular program? BTW, I am not hoping for nor requesting the benefit of the doubt from duke's fanabase, nor do I want to be seen as "upset" over it. Again, just mulling it over a little bit, and still awaiting a biased, unbiased, logical, calm, heated (your choice) answer to a vague curiosity from someone other than KenTankerous.

I can't speak for anyone else: I see a bit of the slow-motion train wreck phenomenon. You know it's coming and you just can't take your eyes off it. It's similar to UNC with D'oh a few years ago.

And someday, when K retires (and may it be a long time coming), I'm sure eyes will be on us.

-jk

KYtotheCore
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
the folks here at DBR are smart, funny, open, and tolerant,

I have never disagreed with these sentiments, but why do I get the feeling your fiance was looking over your shoulder while you wrote that?

KYtotheCore
01-04-2010, 01:01 AM
I can't speak for anyone else: I see a bit of the slow-motion train wreck phenomenon. You know it's coming and you just can't take your eyes off it. It's similar to UNC with D'oh a few years ago.

And someday, when K retires (and may it be a long time coming), I'm sure eyes will be on us.

-jk

Sorry, I'm ignorant on the UNC "d'oh" thing. What does that mean?

El_Diablo
01-04-2010, 01:10 AM
if you don't care for that particular program, why do some (not all) duke fans who claim not to like Kentucky spend so much time posting about that particular program?

...because Kentucky is undefeated, getting a lot of press, and just played a big game on national television that had some big question marks raised about the character of a couple of its players. I'm not sure what's so difficult to grasp here, but if there's a college basketball topic that people find interesting or noteworthy, they want to discuss it with fellow fans. I'm sorry you find that curious. But that's the way it works.

There are also threads about NCSU/FL/UNC/USC on the front page. I'm just glad we don't have fans from all of those schools here questioning our choice of discussion topics and ignoring other posters who try to explain.

El_Diablo
01-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Sorry, I'm ignorant on the UNC "d'oh" thing. What does that mean?

Matt Doherty. Good UNC player but not-so-great UNC coach.

brevity
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Again, just mulling it over a little bit, and still awaiting a biased, unbiased, logical, calm, heated (your choice) answer to a vague curiosity from someone other than KenTankerous.

I'm not KenTankerous (though I can be cantankerous) and I already answered your brilliant question earlier (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=346656&postcount=20) in the thread.

I hate repeating myself, and hate appearing twice in the same thread even more, but I'll make an exception and elaborate now.

1. Kentucky is newsworthy. The former sleeping giant has stayed undefeated, unlike 343 other Division I teams. This makes me wary, not hateful. I don't know if a relevant Wildcats team is "good for college basketball," but it certainly doesn't hurt.

2. That said, there are at least a dozen Kentucky threads and, to my memory, 1 Kansas thread (preseason troubles), 2 Texas threads (on the UNC and Corpus Christi games), and zero Purdue threads. DBR members sound obsessed with Kentucky and more than a little insecure; I find that embarrassing.

3. Quit making a DBR basketball thread about you. It's the quickest way to not endear yourself to others here. You're not that clever.

KYtotheCore
01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm not KenTankerous (though I can be cantankerous) and I already answered your brilliant question earlier (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=346656&postcount=20) in the thread.

I hate repeating myself, and hate appearing twice in the same thread even more, but I'll make an exception and elaborate now.

1. Kentucky is newsworthy. The former sleeping giant has stayed undefeated, unlike 343 other Division I teams. This makes me wary, not hateful. I don't know if a relevant Wildcats team is "good for college basketball," but it certainly doesn't hurt.

2. That said, there are at least a dozen Kentucky threads and, to my memory, 1 Kansas thread (preseason troubles), 2 Texas threads (on the UNC and Corpus Christi games), and zero Purdue threads. DBR members sound obsessed with Kentucky and more than a little insecure; I find that embarrassing.

3. Quit making a DBR basketball thread about you. It's the quickest way to not endear yourself to others here. You're not that clever.

My question arose from the difference in the level of disdain among the programs. You'd probably be a little embarrased if my thoughts on your opinion of my cleverness were measurable. If there were shades of neutrality in regards to your proactive rant - I'd be colored all of them. You seem very edgy though. There is definitely a greater issue below the surface with you. Your replies stand out starkly from the rest. The other posters seem to have a grasp on whats being asked, but for some reason you need to make this aggressive. If my family lived on your street, I'd tell my kids to stay away from you. You're mean, and really don't understand word economy at all.

-jk
01-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I think this discussion has played out.