PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the folks familiar with Charlottesville...

bjornolf
01-01-2010, 07:48 AM
We're going to a family reunion tomorrow, and we're supposed to take some food. We were thinking that fried chicken might be the easiest/most expedient. Are there any groceries or restaurants in Charlottesville that have good fried chicken in large quantities (KFC, Popeye's, etc.)? I saw the Wayside Takeout. Are they good? We usually come down 20 to 250 to I-64W to get to Staunton, so we'd prefer something close to that route if possible. Rte. 29 through main Charlottesville is kinda out of our way. Wayside looks pretty close to our route if we get on I-64 and get back off at Rte. 29.

I know Cavlaw knows a lot about Charlottesville, but I'm sure there are others as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

FreezingDevil
01-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Yea, you can't go wrong with Wayside. I first found it a while back after they closed the local Bojangles (a truly traumatic event in my life) and I've been going there ever since. I dont know how much chicken you'll need, but their 50 piece bulk deal is a real bargain.

Good luck!

devildm
01-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I've been in Charlottesville for 7 years, and by far Wayside is the best that I've had. In fact, I will go so far as to say that it is the best fried chicken I've ever had (and I'm from Arkansas originally, so I've had plenty of experience on the issue). Some of the best times I've had here in Charlottesville have been tubing down the James river with a bucket of Wayside fried chicken in my lap.

FYI, I believe that you can call ahead and have your chicken ready for you. It's really easy to get to from I-64 or Hwy 250. Feel free to email me directly if you want specific directions on how to get there from your route.

devildm

pfrduke
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Allow me to third the recommendation for the Wayside. I lived down the street from them for two years and, well, let's just say it wasn't good for my waist line.

Their fried chicken is excellent, and if you need a dessert as well, I'd recommend the lemon pound cake.

duketaylor
01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Our Kroger fried chicken is quite good and we make orders in excess of 300 pieces given an hour or so notice.

devildeac
01-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Our Kroger fried chicken is quite good and we make orders in excess of 300 pieces given an hour or so notice.

Oh, really? Then why the heck did we end up with Smithfield Q for the Brunchgate on New Year's Eve when you coulda got us the "good stuff" with an employeee discouont even?:rolleyes:;):D Shoot, we couldn't even get Mickie to touch the stuff.:rolleyes:

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh, really? Then why the heck did we end up with Smithfield Q for the Brunchgate on New Year's Eve when you coulda got us the "good stuff" with an employeee discouont even?:rolleyes:;):D Shoot, we couldn't even get Mickie to touch the stuff.:rolleyes:

Well, we had Q and not fried chicken for starters. And it wouldn't have been hot coming all the way from Richmond.

devildeac
01-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Well, we had Q and not fried chicken for starters. And it wouldn't have been hot coming all the way from Richmond.

I was just yanking on dt a bit...;)

OZZIE4DUKE
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I was just yanking on dt a bit...;)
And I was yanking back!

duketaylor
01-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey, I got Mickie to the tailgate, didn't I? Plus, I was able to get another fairly popular guy to the game, sheesh, y'all are tough. I returned Dr feelgood's pass to him tonight and told him of our evening, he thought it was awesome. Not many, if any, tailgates in the Gold lot. New tradition may be born, Mickie liked it.

On top of my mission to buy a golf course, I have a new one; What is K's favorite wine, or Mickie's, or vineyard. Next time we visit with a member of the family we are stocked and can appease. That would be very cool.

I wish we had more time to be together, but the weather was pitiful and the time was short. Next time. Next Play!!

devildeac
01-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey, I got Mickie to the tailgate, didn't I? Plus, I was able to get another fairly popular guy to the game, sheesh, y'all are tough. I returned Dr feelgood's pass to him tonight and told him of our evening, he thought it was awesome. Not many, if any, tailgates in the Gold lot. New tradition may be born, Mickie liked it.

On top of my mission to buy a golf course, I have a new one; What is K's favorite wine, or Mickie's, or vineyard. Next time we visit with a member of the family we are stocked and can appease. That would be very cool.

I wish we had more time to be together, but the weather was pitiful and the time was short. Next time. Next Play!!

(just yanking your chain a bit, big guy;):D)

Check your PM. I know someone who might be able to answer your query...

Cavlaw
01-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Guess I'm late to this party; I'm not much of a forumer these days. I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations on getting fried chicken in Cville. I never had occassion to.

The only BBQ I've had in Cville that I thought was ok was at Big Jim's, on Angus Road across from the Best Buy.