PDA

View Full Version : Best Duke MBB player of the decade - interesting

rthomas
12-31-2009, 03:48 PM
ESPN poll: Who is the best Duke men's basketball player of the decade?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/4768730/duke

Who is the third player listed - haven't heard of him.

# G J.J. Redick (2002-06): A two-time national POY, he led Duke in scoring his final three seasons, including a Final Four run as a sophomore, finishing as the school's leading scorer (2,769) with the most 3-pointers (457) in NCAA history.

# G Jason Williams (1999-2002): Led Duke's 2000-01 NCAA championship squad in scoring (21.6) and assists (6.1), finishing his career as a two-time consensus All-American with averages of 19.3 ppg and 6.0 apg.

# F Shelden Taylor (2002-2006): The school's leader in rebounds (1,262) and blocked shots (422) was a two-time defensive POY, and finished with career averages of 13.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg and 3.0 bpg.

# F Shane Battier (1997-2001): Went to two national championship games, leading the 2000-01 title squad in rebounds (7.3), and was named defensive POY three times, finishing tied for 10th in points (1,984), 10th in rebounds (887), second in steals (266) and third in blocks (254).

# G Chris Duhon (2000-04): Finished second only to Bobby Hurley in assists (819), leader in steals (301) and was the point guard (6.1 apg) during Duke's 2004 Final Four run.

I've seen his name misspelled hundreds of times, I've even done it myself, but never his last name. lol

PS I voted for JWill.

RoyalBlue08
12-31-2009, 04:21 PM
I am very surprises that JJ is leading this vote as of this post. I am a huge fan of JJ, but J. Will. should get votes for the best player of the decade at any school in my opinion.

striker219
12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
I am very surprises that JJ is leading this vote as of this post. I am a huge fan of JJ, but J. Will. should get votes for the best player of the decade at any school in my opinion.

Totally agree, but I've been watching Duke ball for a long time. People have short attention spans and short memories. JJ is fresher on peoples minds, especially for casual fans. Honestly, I don't think there is any real argument to be made for JJ other than that whole all-time scoring thing. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him play, but he was just a scorer (yes, a ridiculous mostly unstoppable circus shot scorer). Jay was the total package. Unstoppable alone, made everyone around him better, miracle minute...I could go on and on.

Personally, this is a two man contest, Battier/Williams. Don't make me pick.

juise
12-31-2009, 07:41 PM
It was between J-Will and Shane for me. I matriculated to Duke in the fall of 2000 and hadn't seen much of Shane before then. However, Shane in his senior year was the most complete player I have seen this decade... so I voted for him. I was close to voting for J. Will, though. He was definitely Duke's most explosive player of the decade and probably the quickest. I think he's also the best offensive player of the decade and probably edges JJ as the best scorer of the decade (though senior JJ is close to junior J-Will).

SilkyJ
12-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Totally agree, but I've been watching Duke ball for a long time. People have short attention spans and short memories. JJ is fresher on peoples minds, especially for casual fans. Honestly, I don't think there is any real argument to be made for JJ other than that whole all-time scoring thing. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him play, but he was just a scorer (yes, a ridiculous mostly unstoppable circus shot scorer). Jay was the total package. Unstoppable alone, made everyone around him better, miracle minute...I could go on and on.

Personally, this is a two man contest, Battier/Williams. Don't make me pick.

100% agree. the 2nd half of the decade will always get more weight, and for me its also Battier/JWill....I'd have to go Jwill tho.

dcarp23
12-31-2009, 07:45 PM

The most recent players/teams/plays always win the ESPN polls.

Personally, I think you've got to go with Williams or Redick with Battier only playing two years. While Williams is the better overall player (in my opinion), I don't think you could go wrong picking either of these two guys in this poll. Or Battier for that matter. All three are among the all-time greats.

wacobluedevil
12-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Did you say that Battier only played two years?

juise
12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Did you say that Battier only played two years?

Two years this decade (really 1.5 seasons). I'm pretty sure that's what dcarp23 meant.

wacobluedevil
12-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Two years this decade (really 1.5 seasons). I'm pretty sure that's what dcarp23 meant.
Check.

sagegrouse
12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
The most recent players/teams/plays always win the ESPN polls.

Personally, I think you've got to go with Williams or Redick with Battier only playing two years. While Williams is the better overall player (in my opinion), I don't think you could go wrong picking either of these two guys in this poll. Or Battier for that matter. All three are among the all-time greats.

It is fair to consider Shane's entire career in the 1990's; otherwise it would never get considered in either decade. He was NPOY.

As far as the selection of J.J with 49% of the vote, this only proves one of three things:

(a) Half the voters are under age 14 and can't remember JWill and Shane.

(b) The voters are so feeble-minded that they can't rmember more than five years.

(c) All the guys who boo J.J. in every arena around the country voted for him as player of the decade. It figures.

sagegrouse

mgtr
12-31-2009, 08:14 PM
I love JJ, and watch the Magic, hoping to see some JJ magic. However, JWill really defined Duke basketball, with Shane second (in all fairness, a distant second).

dcarp23
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM

Correct!

CrazyCat
12-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Touch choice, but I went with Battier.