PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough of John Wall!!

JasonEvans
12-31-2009, 01:24 PM
I am sick of reading/hearing constantly about how John Wall is the front-runner for national POY. You know who the real stud on that Kentucky team has been? Demarcus Cousins.

Cousins is averaging 15.2 ppg and 9.0 rpg. He even has 1.8 blocks/game. But, get this, he is doing that while only playing 18 minutes/game.

Lets pretend that he got the usual 30 minutes per game that a stud generally gets. He'd be averaging 24.4 ppg, 14.4 rpg, and 2.9 blocks. Folks, those are crazy numbers!!

Oh, the problem is that he is a tiny bit foul prone. He is averaging 3.2 fouls/game right now and that is what keeps him from playing 30 minutes. He'd be averaging 5.1 fouls per game if he played 30 minutes and that ain't possible. Oh well.

Anyway, I am still sick of hearing constantly about how great John Wall is. 4 turnovers a game against mediocre competition is just bad.

--Jason "sigh, another Kentucky thread... sorry!!" Evans

Indoor66
12-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Anyway, I am still sick of hearing constantly about how great John Wall is. 4 turnovers a game against mediocre competition is just bad.

But, "WOW", he can play above the rim and throws down nasty dunks. That is what makes him great. :eek: :rolleyes:

jpfrizzle
12-31-2009, 01:43 PM
-JasonEvans "I've had enough of John Wall!!"

Wall didnt come to DUKE... lock this thread, put it behind you. he's not worth the hassle racking your brain over something that was pointless to begin with. :cool:

Wander
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I hate to break it to you, but Wall is great. You guys are crazy if you think he's nothing more than just a really good run/jump guy who, yes, does turn the ball over a little bit too much. He's a good shooter, great at forcing turnovers, has a fantastic assist rate, gets to the FT line well, has unbelievable athleticism, rebounds well for his position, and is actually a very smart player. He could be a little more disciplined but he'd also be my early leader for NPOY.

KShip21
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
I'll take a senior Jon Scheyer with the numbers he is putting up so far, his experience, and his basketball IQ over an athletic one and done john wall. call me crazy....

CameronBornAndBred
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
-JasonEvans "I've had enough of John Wall!!"

Wall didnt come to DUKE... lock this thread, put it behind you. he's not worth the hassle racking your brain over something that was pointless to begin with. :cool:
Agreed. And even worse, a moderator has started one. At least put it over on the OTB.

ncexnyc
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
As far as I'm concerned the kid is deserving of every bit of media hype he is getting.

He's a bonafide NPOY contender and he's only a freshman.

We've got a very, very good team, that in the long run may end up being considered great, let's give our attention and focus to these kids.

BlueintheFace
12-31-2009, 02:28 PM
Players equally or more deserving than John Wall based on numbers so far this season:

Quincy Pondexter
Luke Harangody
Jon Scheyer
Wesley Johnson

...and others

striker219
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I feel that much of the POY attention he's receiving is because of his potential, which is pretty much limitless at this point, rather than what he is actually accomplishing. That isn't to say that he isn't performing exceptionally well, but there are others who are performing at a higher level against similar, if not tougher, competition who are not receiving the same level of attention. Maybe because they're not as flashy, or they don't have the freshman mystique about them, or because they sometimes where black socks on pasty white legs and that makes them look like a retiree.

I personally feel that a POY race should be about what has been accomplished on the court, not what a person may or may not be able to accomplish in the future, but I'm just a fan. I say let the NBA worry about tremendous upside potential, and try to judge a player based on what they're doing right now.

Cockabeau
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Those 24 and 10 averages you seem content to give to Demarcus Cousins for 30 MPG are completely bunk.

1) It is easy to accumulate numbers like that when you are a big man on a loaded team playing against inferior, smaller teams.

2)Diminishing returns. As a player plays more, he tends to fatigue thus the stats get thinner, not more gaudy.

However, I do agree that Wall is a bit overrated. He has a very modest jumpshot and his elbows are too pointy.

FireOgilvie
12-31-2009, 07:49 PM
I am sick of reading/hearing constantly about how John Wall is the front-runner for national POY. You know who the real stud on that Kentucky team has been? Demarcus Cousins.

Cousins is averaging 15.2 ppg and 9.0 rpg. He even has 1.8 blocks/game. But, get this, he is doing that while only playing 18 minutes/game.

Lets pretend that he got the usual 30 minutes per game that a stud generally gets. He'd be averaging 24.4 ppg, 14.4 rpg, and 2.9 blocks. Folks, those are crazy numbers!!

Oh, the problem is that he is a tiny bit foul prone. He is averaging 3.2 fouls/game right now and that is what keeps him from playing 30 minutes. He'd be averaging 5.1 fouls per game if he played 30 minutes and that ain't possible. Oh well.

Wall is the one getting Cousins a lot of those easy looks. Most of his points are on dunks and open layups. Wall, like any good PG, makes all of his teammates look better. Scheyer is doing the same thing this year.

Wall deserves to be in the conversation with a handful of players for NPOY (with Wesley Johnson, Scheyer, and a few others). UK is still undefeated and ranked 2nd, and UK has looked pretty weak when he isn't in the game for them (especially against UNC/UCONN). He's averaging 52% from the field, and 43% on 3 pointers, while Scheyer is averaging 45% FG and 43% on 3s. Obviously, Wall averages more TOs, but his A/TO is still pretty good. Wall can't do what Scheyer does on the court in terms of leadership and limiting TOs and Scheyer can't do what Wall does in terms of dribble penetration, quickness, and getting to the rim.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Scheyer>wall

Lavabe
01-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I am sick of reading/hearing constantly about how John Wall is the front-runner for national POY.

<snip>

We are Duke alumni living in a land in which the nightly local news seems to have at least some mention of John Wall every night. In an attempt to escape it, I went to my favorite sandwich shop... which now sells a John Wall Club sandwich.

Feel fortunate to live in a place where at least every night you are guaranteed not to have John Wall appear on the front page of the local newspaper.

Let us know when you plan on passing through Lexington. We can be your safe haven.
Cheers,
Lavabe

KYtotheCore
01-01-2010, 09:33 AM

You know, I keep telling my young daughters that I just don't like Taylor Swift, and the more I give reasons as to why, Swift has another release that rockets to the top. At times it makes me feel like regardless of what I (or anyone else) say, the great ones find their way way around the naysayers (I would never tell my daughters that though!).

Wall is put in the POY conversations for his flair, plain and simple. We hear a lot about his turnover stats here at UK, yet they haven't cost us a "W" (yet). I would rather have Wall with his flair than any other senior POY candidate with his layups. His jumpshot has been as dependable, if not moreso, as any other player on KY's team. In my estimate, he makes about 7 of ten, regardless of the stats, I've seen a LOT of beautiful 3's find their mark - more than NOT.

The fundamental greats don't see their jerseys sell out at the next level. Fans vote with reaction and dollars. Besides, he's only going to continue to improve. Love him or hate him, opposing coaches have the same stats you reference and that hasn't made a bit of difference in stopping him.

FerryFor50
01-01-2010, 09:42 AM
My only beef with all the John Wall hype is the constant reminder of what dimension he would have added to an already strong 2009-2010 Duke team.

Otherwise, the hype is legit. He's done everything - pass, defend, score, hit game winners, take over in big games down the stretch. His only knock is turnovers, but his assist to turnover ratio is almost 2:1 while he adds 2.4 steals to balance it out a bit.

2nd in the nation in assists, scores 17ppg and shoots 52%... all this while being a highly regarded freshman on a team stacked with talent.

Have there been other players having as great or better years? Sure. Are they freshmen? Only one I can think of is Demarcus Cousins...

KYtotheCore
01-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Even Jay Bilas said Wall's weak points are "like trying to find a mole on a supermodel".

FerryFor50
01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
You know, I keep telling my young daughters that I just don't like Taylor Swift, and the more I give reasons as to why, Swift has another release that rockets to the top. At times it makes me feel like regardless of what I (or anyone else) say, the great ones find their way way around the naysayers (I would never tell my daughters that though!).

Wall is put in the POY conversations for his flair, plain and simple. We hear a lot about his turnover stats here at UK, yet they haven't cost us a "W" (yet). I would rather have Wall with his flair than any other senior POY candidate with his layups. His jumpshot has been as dependable, if not moreso, as any other player on KY's team. In my estimate, he makes about 7 of ten, regardless of the stats, I've seen a LOT of beautiful 3's find their mark - more than NOT.

The fundamental greats don't see their jerseys sell out at the next level. Fans vote with reaction and dollars. Besides, he's only going to continue to improve. Love him or hate him, opposing coaches have the same stats you reference and that hasn't made a bit of difference in stopping him.

Um... he is shooting well... but you see him hit "7 out of 10"? Really? There is a reason they keep stats, you know... :D

By your estimation, if he's hitting 70% of his jumpers, he must be 0-4 on layups/dunks to get to the 50% mark...

roywhite
01-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Um... he is shooting well... but you see him hit "7 out of 10"? Really? There is a reason they keep stats, you know... :D

By your estimation, if he's hitting 70% of his jumpers, he must be 0-4 on layups/dunks to get to the 50% mark...

http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Players/Wall_John.html

Yeah, for the record, through 13 games Wall is shooting:
52.1% FG
43.3% 3-pt
81.9% FT

Really excellent numbers, and there was some doubt about his outside shooting going into the season. If there is any stat that could be improved, it might be his assist/turnover ratio, which is currently less than 2:1. (98 assists, 52 turnovers)

Devilsfan
01-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Is this the John Wall that less than a year ago was at a private small high school in Raleigh, N.C.? He's just a freshman. Thank goodness he "just didn't fit" the heels program acording to roy.

KYtotheCore
01-01-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm just telling you that maybe his "misses" seem a little more prominent to the people looking for fault. I probably just misconstrued my point. All I'm saying is that I really don't see that big of a problem in this area. Whenver he shoots, I've seen a few, but I don't recall ever feeling like "Oh no! Wall is shooting!" like some of the players in the past. If I were the coach, and based on Wall's shooting performance to this point, I'd let him do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Stats are pretty pointless with someone like wall. He didn't get his point average the other night - instead he set the school record for assists. When a player is rewriting school-records, do you really want to argue stats, in this case - "semantics"

ncexnyc
01-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm just telling you that maybe his "misses" seem a little more prominent to the people looking for fault. I probably just misconstrued my point. All I'm saying is that I really don't see that big of a problem in this area. Whenver he shoots, I've seen a few, but I don't recall ever feeling like "Oh no! Wall is shooting!" like some of the players in the past. If I were the coach, and based on Wall's shooting performance to this point, I'd let him do whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Stats are pretty pointless with someone like wall. He didn't get his point average the other night - instead he set the school record for assists. When a player is rewriting school-records, do you really want to argue stats, in this case - "semantics"
There's no need to defend your belief that Wall is a great player worthy of NPOY consideration. All you have to realize is that on this very site there was a thread concerning our efforts to land Mr. Wall, which had countless pages on it. It was only when he announced for KY that he was suddenly treated like a carrier of some dreaded disease.

mapei
01-01-2010, 12:16 PM
People will hate this, but for most fans basketball is a form of entertainment. Wall is highly entertaining as well as very, very good. No, I wouldn't trade senior Jon Scheyer for him - Jon deserves all the praise that he, too, is finally getting, and he fits Duke's system perfectly - but that doesn't diminish what Wall is doing. I'll watch him and his team every chance I get.

Hansbrough really was overrated, IMO, and Duke players occasionally are, too. But Scheyer isn't, and neither is Wall, so far.

Duvall
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
I've had just about enough of DeMarcus Cousins at this point.

dukemsu
01-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Cousins should have been ejected. That mob at Rupp might have killed the officials had they done so. I'm not kidding.

The intensity in that place is dangerous. Someone could really get hurt in this game.

dukemsu

Wander
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I've had just about enough of DeMarcus Cousins at this point.

Imagine if after Henderson broke Hansbrough's nose, Duke and UNC still had to play 39 minutes of basketball against each other. That's this game...

dyedwab
01-02-2010, 03:51 PM
John Wall is clearly a great player...and could be a great star in the NBA...

...and he's fun to watch....

But, it's also possible to be tired of him, Calipari, and the whole Kentucky program.

I know that's where I am....

...oh, and if this game is played at Freedom Hall, doesn't Cousins get tossed?

RoyalBlue08
01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
This game is like a car crash. I tuned in for basketball and I doubt I am going to see much of it, but I can't look away anyway. I don't want to miss whatever is going to happen, and virtually nothing would surprise me.

Cockabeau
01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Cousins,Wall and Calipari are extremely annoying human beings.

Cockabeau
01-02-2010, 03:55 PM
...or does it look like Rick Pitino aged alot between now and the last couple of years?

riverside6
01-02-2010, 04:18 PM
just to come back to Jason Evans' point, at this point in the Louisville/Kentucky game:

Cousins: 6 pts, 9 rebs, 2 asts, 1 stl, 1 blk
Wall: 0 pts, 2 asts, 2 tos

Live stats for UK/Louisville here (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=5065)

weezie
01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Cousins,Wall and Calipari are extremely annoying human beings.

Ya mean Larry, Moe and Greasy?

JasonEvans
01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
just to come back to Jason Evans' point, at this point in the Louisville/Kentucky game:

Cousins: 6 pts, 9 rebs, 2 asts, 1 stl, 1 blk
Wall: 0 pts, 2 asts, 2 tos

Update--

With 10 mins left in the 2nd half, Cousins is leading Kentucky with 12 points and 15 rebounds. He has somehow managed to only commit 1 foul so far.

Wall has 7 points, 1 rebound, and 2 assiss.

--Jason "who da playa of da year now!!??!?!!" Evans

dukelifer
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Update--

With 10 mins left in the 2nd half, Cousins is leading Kentucky with 12 points and 15 rebounds. He has somehow managed to only commit 1 foul so far.

Wall has 7 points, 1 rebound, and 2 assiss.

--Jason "who da playa of da year now!!??!?!!" Evans
It is Wall. The kid has a knack for taking over a game when his team needs him. He has done it several times already this year. They can win it all as long as Wall is in the game when it is close. I do not think Wall is next great thing and his jumper needs work (although getting better) for the next level- but he is a step above most college guards right now and KY goes as far as he goes. I think he has a tendency to cramp up- so we shall see if affects him in the tourney. Cousins is getting better and that does not bode well. My gut tells me though that something is going to happen to the KY team- they will go down in flames in the tourney- but they should roll in the SEC and even if they lose- they will likely get a number 1 seed. So all that matters is what happens in March for this team.

grossbus
01-02-2010, 08:52 PM
hate to say it, jason, but when the 'Ville went ahead for the first (and only) time, it was wall that changed the direction of the game and broke pitino's squad.

that's what the headlines will be tomorrow.

Kewlswim
01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
hate to say it, jason, but when the 'Ville went ahead for the first (and only) time, it was wall that changed the direction of the game and broke pitino's squad.

that's what the headlines will be tomorrow.

Hi,

I want Wall's head to swell and swell and swell up a little more. I wish that before the NCAA tournament I could talk to Wall and tell him that all the NBA scouts were there just to see him and that he is ready to go pro and be the next Magic Johnson no matter what. I want him to basically think only about himself more and more as the year goes on because if that happens UK will almost for sure go down in flames.

GO DUKE!

Duvall
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Hi,

I want Wall's head to swell and swell and swell up a little more. I wish that before the NCAA tournament I could talk to Wall and tell him that all the NBA scouts were there just to see him and that he is ready to go pro and be the next Magic Johnson no matter what. I want him to basically think only about himself more and more as the year goes on because if that happens UK will almost for sure go down in flames.

GO DUKE!

Well, look. If Wall goes pro at the end of the year, it will be for the simple and straightforward reason that a professional team will offer him millions and millions of dollars to play basketball for the next few years. And that's almost twice as much as he could make by staying at Kentucky.

studdlee10
01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Wall makes that team tick. We saw how much they struggled without him against UNC. He is the player of the year thus far (though I think Wes Johnson deserves a lot of credit).

Another guy I think is under the radar but who has been fantastic for their undefeated team is Damion James. He's just a solid player who does all the dirty work for Texas, all while Dexter Pittman gets all the attention.

dukemsu
01-02-2010, 11:13 PM
UK is one weird team.

They look like absolute world-beaters for 10 minutes and then average for 25, then Wall finishes the game.

They seem to play almost too angry, too intense.

Pretty unlikable bunch, except of course for the UK leviathan.

dukemsu

Devilsfan
01-02-2010, 11:30 PM
All their opponents are tired of this squad. I believe their 15-0 so far. Hope they get matched up with carolina in the tourney. I think mr. cousins is up for choir boy of the year. Tonight he showed everyone his nba ready.

COYS
01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Well, look. If Wall goes pro at the end of the year, it will be for the simple and straightforward reason that a professional team will offer him millions and millions of dollars to play basketball for the next few years. And that's almost twice as much as he could make by staying at Kentucky.

HAHAHA. Wow, I'm surprised this didn't get a laugh before now. Hilarious quote.

Kewlswim
01-03-2010, 02:45 AM
HAHAHA. Wow, I'm surprised this didn't get a laugh before now. Hilarious quote.

:p

GO DUKE!

davekay1971
01-03-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm not tired Wall yet. He's gotten tons of press, some deserved, some of the ESPN/Vitale hyperventilating/slobbering variety. But, whenever I've watched him play, he's a must-see talent. The kid simply dominates the court.

I don't spend much time thinking about what-if-he-were-at-Duke. Scheyer and Smith are performing so well, I don't feel we're a Wall away from a national championship. Given the way Jon's playing, would you really want to put Wall on the ball and move Scheyer off? Or have Wall as your 2 guard and put Nolan on the bench? Our team chemistry is very good, our guard play is very good, and I'm happy with that.

So I'm content to enjoy watching Wall play in a Kentucky uniform. I'd enjoy it more if he were in an NCSU uniform. Now, if were in a Carolina uniform...

chrisheery
01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
I, for one, am not tired of John Wall. To this point, he has been the best behaved, most impressive to watch player on Kentucky's roster. I say that regardless of what any player's numbers are. The kid is just amazing to watch. He clearly makes his teammates better, including Cousins, who benefits from Wall's constant pressure on the defense.

I love him, I think he's a star, I wish he played for Duke.

dukelifer
01-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I, for one, am not tired of John Wall. To this point, he has been the best behaved, most impressive to watch player on Kentucky's roster. I say that regardless of what any player's numbers are. The kid is just amazing to watch. He clearly makes his teammates better, including Cousins, who benefits from Wall's constant pressure on the defense.

He has free reign at KY and that would not be the case at Duke. I think there will be games where Duke will be need a Wall like player- particularly on the defensive end- but both Smith and Scheyer have been pretty impressive to date. But I agree that Wall is a pretty poised player and he has had spectacular moments so far. He has solidified himself as the number 1 pick. The only question left is whether he can lead KY all the way to the championship. For KY, if not this year- it will be a while - as they may lose almost everyone next year.

chrisheery
01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I will also say, that I do not think KY, as the team is currently playing, can win a national championship. They are too immatue and will have their deficencies exposed as the season goes on.

I meant that I would have loved to see Wall's talent and the structure of our team mesh. He wouldn't have looked as cool at this point in the season, but he would be a better player. Right now, I doubt he has learned a thing at KY, his talent is getting him by.

Duvall
01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Anyway, I am still sick of hearing constantly about how great John Wall is.

This probably won't help.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs171.snc3/19847_238273316366_14553116366_3720436_3588294_n.j pg

slower
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I will also say, that I do not think KY, as the team is currently playing, can win a national championship. They are too immatue and will have their deficencies exposed as the season goes on.

I meant that I would have loved to see Wall's talent and the structure of our team mesh. He wouldn't have looked as cool at this point in the season, but he would be a better player. Right now, I doubt he has learned a thing at KY, his talent is getting him by.

I don't care if KY wins or loses, but I WILL watch me some John Wall!! Guy is a legend.

And uh, yeah, his talent IS getting him by - because he has a ton of it.

shoutingncu
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Count me in the group that loves watching him play. That game Saturday was so fascinating in that I hate Kentucky, Cousins and Calipari so much, but truly admire Wall and Patterson.

He's getting his points, driving and jumpshooting, while setting up teammates and leading a group of freshmen. If he can gel with that team, what makes people think he and Scheyer couldn't share a backcourt?

I'm rooting for a vacated season as much as the next Tobacco Roader, but hope it has nothing to do with Wall.

Exiled_Devil
01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
The most important issue with Wall is that his camera time is taking away from Ashley Judd. The producers are taking too much air time from her in the stands to show "spectacular behind-the-back pass" and "one handed dunk through contact".

Priorities, people.

OldSchool
01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I am not sick of John Wall.

From all that I can tell, he seems like a fine young man. Coming from a tough neighborhood in Raleigh and being such a dominant player in the playground style, he could have easily adopted a persona based on street cred, sneering at education and authority figures and allowing his ego to grow into a monster.

Instead, he is consciously doing the more difficult thing of accepting the challenge of being a role model to kids, says he is enthusiastic about classes and tries to represent his university in the highest fashion.

And K seems to have a high opinion of him, and that says a lot to me.

Now, he is just a young man and a human being, and he is under the brightest glare of scrutiny, and like anyone else he will probably stumble here and there, and the dregs of society will use those occasions to try to pull him down to their level.

But so long as he aspires to a high standard, I will be rooting for him, even if he sometimes falls short. (If he starts regularly giving forearm shivers to opponents' heads and petutantly glaring at the referees after every call and speaking of himself in the third person and stops signing autographs for kids, etc., then I will stop rooting for him.)

I don't think Calipari and Kentucky deserve a young man of such character.

Frankly, it amazes me that any of these wildly celebrated athletes, such as a Lebron or a Kobe or a Dwyane Wade, can handle such intense adulation without becoming warped.

slower
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Frankly, it amazes me that any of these wildly celebrated athletes, such as a Lebron or a Kobe or a Dwyane Wade, can handle such intense adulation without becoming warped.

None of us has any idea how warped these guys are, because they have PR people and handlers to manage their public image. And lawyers to shut people up and pay them off, just like most rich and/or famous folks.

OldSchool
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
None of us has any idea how warped these guys are, because they have PR people and handlers to manage their public image. And lawyers to shut people up and pay them off, just like most rich and/or famous folks.

True, that.