PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Penn Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Bob Green
12-30-2009, 03:04 AM
Penn is 0-8 on the year with an average margin of defeat of 15.4 points. In their most recent game, on December 28th, the Quakers were beaten by Davidson (http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=8624&SPID=539&ATCLID=204862843&DB_OEM_ID=1700) 79 - 50.

Saratoga2
12-30-2009, 07:29 AM
This looks like a game where the bench will play a great deal of the time. Good opportunitiy for coach K to try combinations for extended periods.

davidson
12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
One interesting note from the Davidson-Penn game on Monday - Denzel Washington was at Davidson (along with family) to watch his son. Malcolm Washington is a freshman at Penn - scored three points in limited action. If Denzel made the trip to Davidson, its probably a good bet that he'll be at Cameron as well.

My favorite Denzel quip of the night was someone noting that we won by Malcolm XXIX points.

RainingThrees
12-30-2009, 04:50 PM
The real question is how many minutes Casey peters will get and if he does how many points will he have. Hopefully he'll get in there, as i haven't seen him in the game for a while. I kinda feel bad for Penn though, no wins and they have to come into Cameron.

Lord Ash
12-30-2009, 04:51 PM
This looks like a game where the bench will play a great deal of the time. Good opportunitiy for coach K to try combinations for extended periods.

Heh heh heh... famous last words;)

BlueintheFace
12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
If the Plumlees don't both get 25 min+ K should be fired. End of story.

PumpkinFunk
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
My brother goes to Penn (and was actually asked to write up this game for their newspaper), but they're a terrible team again this year, with prospects looking dim. When their coach left for Temple a few years back, it killed the program (plus, I'm sure Cornell's rise and Amaker joining the Ivy League couldn't hurt) for the present. This should be an easy W.

Tim1515
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
If the Plumlees don't both get 25 min+ K should be fired. End of story.

Why is that? K is trying to prove to the freshman and Miles that they need to be consistent on defense to earn time. 3 blocks and 4 missed assignments isn't a good mix.

It is better to play them anyway and hope they figure things out...or make a point so they get it now? Hopefully that point was made against Long Beach and we will see them 20+. 25+ is asking a lot.

Ultrarunner
12-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Why is that? K is trying to prove to the freshman and Miles that they need to be consistent on defense to earn time. 3 blocks and 4 missed assignments isn't a good mix.

It is better to play them anyway and hope they figure things out...or make a point so they get it now? Hopefully that point was made against Long Beach and we will see them 20+. 25+ is asking a lot.

I think maybe you missed the sarcasm.

SCMatt33
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Penn actually fired their coach already this year. The guy that they hired to replaced Fran Dunphy was completely inadequate for the unique challenges of coaching an Ivy league team. With Penn's basketball tradition, a good coach should get them back in three to five years. But for now, they're just bench fodder and and RPI black hole for us.

ChicagoCrazy84
12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
My boy Robbie Belcore is in his 2nd year at Penn. I didn't play with him at Loyola in Chicago cause I was a senior on the varsity squad and he didn't get moved up until he was a sophomore, but I played with him quite a bit for fun and his sister was good friend's with my best friend's sister.

I texted him earlier today, "Are you guarding Scheyer tomorrow?"

He texts back 5 minutes later, "define guarding"

Me: "lol"

Rob: "I don't know who I hate more, you or Duke"

Me: "I love you too"

BlueintheFace
12-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I think maybe you missed the sarcasm.

yah, just poking a little fun

striker219
12-31-2009, 02:57 PM
My boy Robbie Belcore is in his 2nd year at Penn...I texted him earlier today, "Are you guarding Scheyer tomorrow?"

That's so awesome I just wanted it to be on the screen again.

DevilHorns
12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
I hate to be overtly overconfident for this game but I will just flat out say what I want to say. Why did we schedule this cupcake matchup at this point in the season? We're about to begin ACC play with Clemson. We should be playing a team that is at least .500. Penn a few years back would have been fine. This year they are awful.

DukeUsul
12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
I hate to be overtly overconfident for this game but I will just flat out say what I want to say. Why did we schedule this cupcake matchup at this point in the season? We're about to begin ACC play with Clemson. We should be playing a team that is at least .500. Penn a few years back would have been fine. This year they are awful.

A better question might be when did we schedule this game? Was it a couple years ago when Penn was pretty decent?

airowe
12-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Penn a few years back would have been fine. This year they are awful.

I think is probably the reason. Without knowing exactly when this game was sxheduled, I'd venture to say it was at least a year or two ago. No way to know how well many of the weaker OOC teams will be when they're scheduled.

Prediction: Duke 108 - Penn 64

Duvall
12-31-2009, 03:26 PM
A better question might be when did we schedule this game? Was it a couple years ago when Penn was pretty decent?

I'm not sure we schedule games against teams like Penn that far out, though.

It may just be that Duke wants to schedule a couple of games against really terrible teams each year, and they might as well play one of those games against a team that will get a little bit of attention in Philadelphia and South Jersey. I dunno.

Greg_Newton
12-31-2009, 03:30 PM
My boy Robbie Belcore is in his 2nd year at Penn. I didn't play with him at Loyola in Chicago cause I was a senior on the varsity squad and he didn't get moved up until he was a sophomore, but I played with him quite a bit for fun and his sister was good friend's with my best friend's sister.

I texted him earlier today, "Are you guarding Scheyer tomorrow?"

Bahahahaha. POTY.

This could get real ugly. Hopefully we'll at least get to witness the long-awaited Plumlee Party. Not that it would mean much again Penn, but it would sure be a fun way to kick off the night... :rolleyes:

Happy (early) New Years to everyone!

chrisheery
12-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Everyone ring in the new year with a Plumlee Party. I like the sound of that. Like two huge party favors.

airowe
12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
I love 2 games within 3 days!

The players might not, but who are the games really played for? ;)

Wooooo!

riverside6
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
for those interested, we'll be carrying live stats for the duke/penn game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3737

starters should be up around 5:45 ET

riverside6
12-31-2009, 05:22 PM
starters are now up (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3737)...

Scheyer, Smith, Singler, Thomas, and Miles Plumlee

Greg_Newton
12-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Still 5 minutes left in the 5-point Tenn-Memphis game on ESPN2... ughhhhhh...

Jumbo
12-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Head over to ESPNU. They'll show it until the game ends on ESPN2.

Oriole Way
12-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow do I ever dislike Len Elmore.

_Gary
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
It took all of four minutes for Elmore to tell the audience that Duke gets all the calls. :rolleyes:

The timing was great too because my daughter and I had just bemoaned the fact that we'd have to be listening to the game called by him. Some things never change, and Elmore pointing out that Duke will always get the calls is one of those things.

DevilHorns
12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
Commentator gives a lengthy spat on how the coach for penn shouldn't argue/talk to the officials since he's playing away at duke insinuating that duke will get all the calls. sigh.

DevilHorns
12-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Man I love Miles' intensity. Its so infectious.

delfrio
12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I like how one of the highlights in the game recap (for those who missed the first 8 min) was a Scheyer turnover. It's just so unusual!

tdrake51
12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Great play Jon to MP2

Dukeface88
12-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Darn. I was hoping Scheyer would have a one half double-double.

IBleedBlue
12-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Is this the game where scheyer would set a Duke, acc, ncaa record for assists in a game? He already has 9 by half time. :)

delfrio
12-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Boo, Jay Will. Infected by the ESPN virus.

Dukeface88
12-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Boo, Jay Will. Infected by the ESPN virus.

Yeah, that one hurt.

davekay1971
12-31-2009, 07:01 PM
One interesting note from the Davidson-Penn game on Monday - Denzel Washington was at Davidson (along with family) to watch his son. Malcolm Washington is a freshman at Penn - scored three points in limited action. If Denzel made the trip to Davidson, its probably a good bet that he'll be at Cameron as well.

My favorite Denzel quip of the night was someone noting that we won by Malcolm XXIX points.

You know, I really enjoyed Malcolm X. I never did see Malcolm I through Malcolm IX, but they must have been pretty good to keep the series going all the way to Malcolm X. Did they ever make a Malcolm XI? If not, they should, and they should get a really good director like McG or Micheal Bay to direct it!

PS: the Plumlees are looking pretty good so far tonight... Does Jon really have 9 assists already? Too bad we don't have a point guard this year.

Wildcat
12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Guys, cmon. You have to listen with regards to context. Elmore wasn't saying Duke gets all the calls per se; he was saying, look, in the game of basketball, your'e down 30, playing a top team in the country, on the road, you gotta know that you won't get some calls. Wow, I gotta believe that you really don't understand the context in which he's mentioning it. I believe in the integrity and professionalism of commentators, some things they just won't say.

Plus, these guys probably have waaaaaaaay more experience than anyone else on this board. Just because they don't sing our praises at every whim, it's no reason to dismiss their analysis as "anti-Duke." Honestly, I enjoyed listening to Elmore's comments on Kyle's situation how he could possibly adjust and make improvements; this is coming from a Hall of Fame BIG MAN. Cmon people.

tdrake51
12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Great pass from Jon to Kyle... It really is too bad he cant make the highlight passes

KenTankerous
12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Up 35, 12 or so to go, us casual fans should not recognize any of the Duke players on the floor. Playing time seems to be a concern every time anyone transfers out of Duke. Would the more experienced posters explain why the scrubs are not playing right now? Please?

Dukeface88
12-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Up 35, 12 or so to go, us casual fans should not recognize any of the Duke players on the floor. Playing time seems to be a concern every time anyone transfers out of Duke. Would the more experienced posters explain why the scrubs are not playing right now? Please?

Ryan Kelly is the only non-walkon with fewer than 10 minutes. Who exactly do you think should be getting more minutes?

Greg_Newton
12-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Well, we only have 9 scholarship players, for one thing... if Steve Johnson transfers, we'll live. But yes, it is frustrating to not see the underclassmen getting more of these mop up minutes. It's getting pretty chippy, I don't really understand why the big three are still in there.

I would also like to see the ball just pounded into the post every time down. "No shots outside 10 feet" kind of thing. Porque no?

RoyalBlue08
12-31-2009, 07:44 PM

All the scholarship players are rotating in and out. Playing walk ons offers the team no value. However, using this half to work on something (like the zone they are playing) allows some sort of teaching experience for the players.

BTW, if you cannot recognize the five backups on the team (assuming the five starters got benched as you suggest) you are less than a casual fan.

KenTankerous
12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
I don't know their names but I know who shouldn't be on the floor - Singler, Scheyer, Zoubeck, Plumlee squared, Dawkins, Smith, Thomas, Wall and Kelly.

Oh sorry, Wall went to that other blue school.

Dukeface88
12-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't know their names but I know who shouldn't be on the floor - Singler, Scheyer, Zoubeck, Plumlee squared, Dawkins, Smith, Thomas, Wall and Kelly.

Oh sorry, Wall went to that other blue school.

So we should be playing MP1, Johnson, Peters and Davidson? I know Penn isn't very good, but playing 4 on 5 might be a bit much.

Also, LOL at the announcers complaining about the air ball chant.

dukebballcamper90-91
12-31-2009, 07:49 PM
did take time to read but has anybody mentioned freakn Denzel is the house

KenTankerous
12-31-2009, 07:55 PM
30 plus up with less than ten to go in this game Speedo Guy ought to be playing, just saying.

Duvall
12-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Guys, cmon. You have to listen with regards to context. Elmore wasn't saying Duke gets all the calls per se; he was saying, look, in the game of basketball, your'e down 30, playing a top team in the country, on the road, you gotta know that you won't get some calls.

Nah. Elmore was grousing from the first noncall of the game.

I believe in the integrity and professionalism of commentators, some things they just won't say.

Why?

FireOgilvie
12-31-2009, 07:59 PM
30 plus up with less than ten to go in this game Speedo Guy ought to be playing, just saying.

The very end of our bench is playing with 4 minutes to go and under and we'll probably have 9 or so guys get 10 minutes or more. The end of our current bench happens to include two McDonald's AA freshmen. I saw John Wall play 30 minutes against Hartford and he came out with only a few minutes to go against Drexel (both huge blowouts).

Wildcat
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
will be reprimanded. The same reason why a person would hand over their financial information to a trusted advisor. Integrity of the profession. Unbiased